Long time NCL cruiser. AWEFUL EXPERIENCE!

compfixer

Just now, Two Wheels Only said:

At this point, your options are limited.

Only you can decide if "jumping through hoops" (and paying a bit more) is worth it.

I don't know if your card company will refund anything (we know that NCL won't) but the option posted by dbrown84 might be worth a shot.

Focusing on what should have happened won't cure the problem that actually did happen.

It is what it is! If they would have alerted me sooner, I could have a passport within 5 business days. But a Friday? 71 hours from sailing? Even I can't pull that magic!

32 minutes ago, dbrown84 said:

ahhh, after reading again, I'm not sure if you can walk out with the passport.  worth a phone call though

You absolutely can same day! I went to the New York office and had my passport within 2 hours 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I don't understand why some Americans don't have passports.  Especially ones that travel.  It just seems unfathomable to me that you can exist past the age of 20 and not have a passport.  Like...why?  Why would you do that?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

If NCL can send out a "reminder" a couple days before sailing, they could've sent one out when online check-in opened at 21 days.  I don't know how much this is "common knowledge".  Other than Panama Canal cruises, I doubt there are that many other NCL cruises that start in one US port and end in another.  A small %.

Tough one.

1 minute ago, wolft927 said:

You absolutely can same day! I went to the New York office and had my passport within 2 hours 

thanks for confirming.  I believe OP is done with it, but it's nice knowledge to know.  BTW, was it a new passport that you got same day, or renewal?

Just now, dbrown84 said:

thanks for confirming.  I believe OP is done with it, but it's nice knowledge to know.  BTW, was it a new passport that you got same day, or renewal?

A new passport, I was hired by a cruise line that wanted me to start work in 4 days. I brought flight arrangements as well as the hiring offer to NY passport office I believe on Fulton Ave and had my passport within a few hours 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, desibee said:

I don't understand why some Americans don't have passports.  Especially ones that travel.  It just seems unfathomable to me that you can exist past the age of 20 and not have a passport.  Like...why?  Why would you do that?

- some are not eligible to get a passport

- some can't afford one

- Americans don't travel the world like other countries.  This really hold true with some races/cultures in the US.  It's not something you think to get unless you need it

just some reasons...not putting a value on whether they are justified reasons or not.  just reasons

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, desibee said:

I have mine, that's all good. College aged girlfriend does not. Not leaving her behind. Lol 

4 minutes ago, wolft927 said:

A new passport, I was hired by a cruise line that wanted me to start work in 4 days. I brought flight arrangements as well as the hiring offer to NY passport office I believe on Fulton Ave and had my passport within a few hours 

Hers would be new. Mines valid of course. 

1 minute ago, compfixer said:

Hers would be new. Mines valid of course. 

If you get the appointment, bring all documentation needed to get the passport along with the passport picture. Also the price is definitely at least a few hundred more. But might be able to save it 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, schmoopie17 said:

If that's the case, NCL should not have allowed check-in without a passport. This is on them.

Passport requirements are always on the traveler. OP doesn’t have a leg to stand on. 

Edited by zqvol
  • Like 5

12 minutes ago, dbrown84 said:

- some are not eligible to get a passport

- some can't afford one

- Americans don't travel the world like other countries.  This really hold true with some races/cultures in the US.  It's not something you think to get unless you need it

just some reasons...not putting a value on whether they are justified reasons or not.  just reasons

Well, where are we?

Oh, yeah, CC

If you can afford a cruise vacation, you can afford a passport.

Th rest you mention are not relevant, because this a a site for travelers.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

New York Passport Agency (state.gov)

Call right now to see if you can schedule an appointment for Monday morning in NYC. 

Added: 

• Make an appointment by calling 1-877-487-2778 from 8:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. Eastern Time on Mondays through Fridays, or on Saturdays and Sundays from 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. Our appointment line is closed on federal holidays. 

Edited by Girr
Adding info.

21 minutes ago, SomewhereGirl said:

If NCL can send out a "reminder" a couple days before sailing, they could've sent one out when online check-in opened at 21 days.  I don't know how much this is "common knowledge".  Other than Panama Canal cruises, I doubt there are that many other NCL cruises that start in one US port and end in another.  A small %.

Tough one.

For what it's worth, again, this did not appear to be a reminder a couple of days in advance.

Rather, a mass notification to ALL affected future cruises.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, cruiser2015 said:

Well, where are we?

Oh, yeah, CC

If you can afford a cruise vacation, you can afford a passport.

Th rest you mention are not relevant, because this a a site for travelers.

Make this make sense, please....  This is what happens when you respond to something without context 

2 minutes ago, Girr said:

New York Passport Agency (state.gov)

Call right now to see if you can schedule an appointment for Monday morning in NYC.  You have only until 6 PM to schedule.

Thanks!  She really does need to get one! Usually her birrh certificate not an issue. Check in validation should not have allowed "birth certificate" on a requirement of a passport. That's my aggravation. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, compfixer said:

Thanks!  She really does need to get one! Usually her birrh certificate not an issue. Check in validation should not have allowed "birth certificate" on a requirement of a passport. That's my aggravation. 

Fully understand the aggravation, alas we now just need to zero in on getting the situation resolved.  Good luck!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, dbrown84 said:

Make this make sense, please....  This is what happens when you respond to something without context 

I didn't think it was complicated.

Just saying that while there's reasons why people, in general, don't have passports, just as you said...not so much for people here on Cruise Critic who are active travelers.

Hence your reasons do not apply to pretty much everyone who is reading these posts or asking questions. Therefore your post does not make sense in explaining why the involved parties here don't have passports. As other posters have said, it's surprising that they don't.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cruiser2015 said:

I didn't think it was complicated.

Just saying that while there's reasons why people, in general, don't have passports, just as you said...not so much for people here on Cruise Critic who are active travelers.

Hence your reasons do not apply to pretty much everyone who is reading these posts or asking questions. Therefore your post does not make sense in explaining why the involved parties here don't have passports. As other posters have said, it's surprising that they don't.

Hence why I said "context".  I was answering a general question.  It had nothing to do with the involved parties didn't have passports.  

The NCL web site has listed this requirement as far back as I can remember.

"A valid passport is required on all sailings that begin in one US port and end in another US port."

https://www.ncl.com/freestyle-cruise/cruise-travel-documents

The check-in process doesn't account for this particular requirement because it's a customs and immigration requirement, not an NCL check-in requirement. The software also does not have the ability to sift through different passport requirements for every country on every cruise (they do differ). For instance, some accept passport cards, and some do not, even though US Customs will gladly accept it. As another example, those travelling under the Visa Waiver Program often don't require a passport at all. The variations are complex and numerous, and the iterations NCL would have to build in to the software to accommodate them would similarly be very complex, and prone to errors. It also could never be guaranteed as legal or binding. That's why the NCL web site simply lists the blanket requirement, and why all customers are individually responsible for reading it, and confirming what applies to them individually. Although what happened to the OP is regrettable, it is in no way the fault of NCL.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2