Long time NCL cruiser. AWEFUL EXPERIENCE!

compfixer

8 minutes ago, schmoopie17 said:

But you don't show your passport when getting off the ship for the day in any port that I'm aware of. 

However, the ship might have to verify all passengers have valid passports with an applicable country's port agent before the ship is cleared to dock. That's why in those situations, the ship will require to see each passenger's passport in the terminal prior to embarkation. However, at certain ports usually not in the Caribbean, the ship will collect everyone's passport and give them back closer to the end of a cruise, like on our recent Africa cruise or when we cruised to SE Asia a few years back.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, cruiser2015 said:

The mystery deepens with your check in. If it was required to have a passport, why did it allow you to check in using a birth certificate?

The more I think about this, the more I empathize with OP's consternation. This just shouldn't be possible.

However, that does not change the fact that, in the end, it's the passenger's responsibility to ensure they have the proper documentation, not NCL's.

• Like 9

3 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Are you sure about this?  What is your source?

Of course I'm not sure. I was wrong TWICE yesterday. If I recall, I read it on NCL's website regarding proper documentation. If I get motivated, I might look again, but probably not.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

However, the ship might have to verify all passengers have valid passports with an applicable country's port agent before the ship is cleared to dock. That's why in those situations, the ship will require to see each passenger's passport in the terminal prior to embarkation. However, at certain ports usually not in the Caribbean, the ship will collect everyone's passport and give them back closer to the end of a cruise, like on our recent Africa cruise or when we cruised to SE Asia a few years back.

If that's the case, NCL should not have allowed check-in without a passport. This is on them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

Can someone take her place? I don’t think this dispute will be won with a CC dispute, it’s always up to the travelers to know proper documentation. I don’t see a legal leg to stand on.

That's not happening, I'm not leaving her behind! 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, compfixer said:

It allowed it and got Edocs!

IMG_0930.thumb.jpeg.234fd693090dac04304832569f9d2a26.jpeg

That is all well and good, but 3 of 8 is only giving NCL your proof of citizenship...it is NOT a verification that you posess the proper travel documents.

I also see the green check mark for 8 of 8 which means that you have read, understand, and agree to the guest ticket contract which states, in section 12, that YOU have the sole responsibility to verify the required travel documents for your voyage.

This thread is simply another reason for people to forget about birth certificates and just get a passport for travel. I've yet to see an instance where a valid passport wasn't sufficient.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 4

1 minute ago, schmoopie17 said:

If that's the case, NCL should not have allowed check-in without a passport. This is on them.

Yes. But then there is that clause in the NCL booking confirmation that most no one ever reads.

Documentation: All guests must provide Norwegian Cruise Line with their full legal names, EXACTLY as they appear on their passports by the final payment date, to avoid denial of boarding. All guests require proof of citizenship for cruises that begin and end in the same U.S. port (a valid passport is strongly recommended). A valid passport is required for all other cruises. In addition to your passport, a visa may be required. Visa requirements vary by country and are subject to change. Visas are required for all U.S. and Canadian citizens traveling to Asia, Australia, South America, India and Brazil. For the appropriate requirements based on your itinerary and nationality please contact your travel professional, local immigration office or www.ncl.com/traveldocs. It is the guest's responsibility to obtain required visas and other documentation prior to sailing, including vaccinations for infectious diseases. Failure to arrive with proper documentation could result in denied boarding, and no further compensation will be offered.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 4

6 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

it’s always up to the travelers to know proper documentation. 

But the cruise line doesn't have to know the required documentation and lets people check in without it??????

They do this thousands of times a day. Shouldn't they (or their check-in system) know better?

7 minutes ago, compfixer said:

Getting WAY off topic, was told by NCL it not the foreign countries, it's because it leaves from New York, but ends in Miami. 

Right, the issue for the OP is that this is not a closed-loop cruise. Birth Certificate and Photo ID are only sufficient for a closed-loop cruise leaving and returning to the same US port. It's unfortunate the OP wasn't already aware of this. It is not a new policy and is not an NCL policy. It's a US Government policy.

Edited by JamieLogical
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 2

I really can't believe anyone on EARTH would even consider not bringing a passport. My wife takes hers on domestic vacations. Rule #1: Traveling? Bring your passport. (However, that being said, I agree with OP that NCL should not have allowed a birth certificate in the first place, because by doing so, it gave him a false impression.)

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, DCGuy64 said:

I really can't believe anyone on EARTH would even consider not bringing a passport. My wife takes hers on domestic vacations. Rule #1: Traveling? Bring your passport. (However, that being said, I agree with OP that NCL should not have allowed a birth certificate in the first place, because by doing so, it gave him a false impression.)

Yeah, after so many horror stories of people getting stuck in foreign ports without a passport or travel insurance, I would NEVER consider cruising without both.

• Like 8

My understanding of a closed loop cruise is beginning & ending in the same US port.  I'm on the same cruise as the OP & checked in with my Passport information however, I also received that email notification from NCL today.  My guess is it's programmed to go out to all passengers, not just those who checked in without passport information.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Yes. But then there is that clause in the NCL booking confirmation that most no one ever reads.

All guests require proof of citizenship for cruises that begin and end in the same U.S. port (a valid passport is strongly recommended). A valid passport is required for all other cruises. 

My issue isn't regarding the passport requirement. However, knowing that a passport is required, why would their system not be set up to have you input the passport info. This whole mess could be avoided with a simple system tweak.

Edited by schmoopie17
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Where did you read this?

Well, blow me down!

I knew I had seen this somewhere.

But, upon a thorough reading and re-reading of the doc requirements on the NCL web page, the 6 month clause applies to non-US citizens. There is no mention of it for US citizens - just says a valid passport is required.

Just now, schmoopie17 said:

My issue isn't regarding the passport requirement. However, knowing that a passport is requited, why would their system not be set up to have you input the passport info. This whole mess could be avoided with a simple system tweak.

I agree with you totally. The check-in process should not have even allowed it. 

1 minute ago, schmoopie17 said:

My issue isn't regarding the passport requirement. However, knowing that a passport is required, why would their system not be set up to have you input the passport info. This whole mess could be avoided with a simple system tweak.

Easy...liability. If they set up the system for verification, then they are assuming responsibility for accurate verification (based solely on what the guest enters, not something NCL could sight-verify) for every possible combination between guests, itineraries, document expiration dates, countries, etc. That is why responsibility is always on the guest.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, cruiser2015 said:

But, upon a thorough reading and re-reading of the doc requirements on the NCL web page, the 6 month clause applies to non-US citizens. There is no mention of it for US citizens - just says a valid passport is required.

Thanks! Now I don't have to do it. Mark me down for one "wrong" so far today.

2 minutes ago, schmoopie17 said:

We used to use an online TA and they required you to input your passport info at the time of making the reservation. Why can't NCL do it if it's needed?

Again...liability. How would NCL determine "if it's needed" with 100% accuracy? Proper documentation falls to the guests specifically so people don't have a leg to stand on with the "it's NCL's fault" argument like the one we're seeing here.

• Like 5