Cancelling a Free at Sea Offer

pete_coach

As a result of a recent medical problem, I cannot drink.

I cancelled the free at sea drink and got the gratuities back.

Should I ask or get more if I will not be getting any drinks?? 

We also will not be using the free airfare part as we have sufficient loyalty points with an airline and can get a better schedule for us.

Should there be compensation or onboard credit if not taking those benefits?

• Haha 3

Really?

You're being given a perk. If you don't use it, you don't 'get compensated' for it. Of course you'll get refunded gratuities, but that's all.

As for the 'free airfare part', you get a free companion ticket if you buy one, so as you're not doing the latter, there's no former. End of. 

• Like 1

If you don't want to "pay" for the promos you aren't using, book sailaway. Sometimes it's less.  You still get the excursion discount but no meal/drink plans, airfare or internet.

Or book closer to sail date - the airfare promo falls off at 110 days so prices might go down at that time. Or they might go up.

Are you being for real?  You are not a newbie to the NCL board so you fully know how the perks work.  I feel like this is just a complete troll job.  Please tell me this is just you trolling the uptick in people coming on the boards demanding NCL to compensate them for things NCL has no control over.  

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Guindalf said:

Really?

You're being given a perk. If you don't use it, you don't 'get compensated' for it. Of course you'll get refunded gratuities, but that's all.

As for the 'free airfare part', you get a free companion ticket if you buy one, so as you're not doing the latter, there's no former. End of. 

Yes, really.

OK, perhaps used the wrong word. Is "in lieu of" a better term?

It was a question, no need to be rude.

Edited by pete_coach

1 hour ago, julig22 said:

If you don't want to "pay" for the promos you aren't using, book sailaway. Sometimes it's less.  You still get the excursion discount but no meal/drink plans, airfare or internet.

Or book closer to sail date - the airfare promo falls off at 110 days so prices might go down at that time. Or they might go up.

1 hour ago, Liljo22 said:

Are you being for real?  You are not a newbie to the NCL board so you fully know how the perks work.  I feel like this is just a complete troll job.  Please tell me this is just you trolling the uptick in people coming on the boards demanding NCL to compensate them for things NCL has no control over.  

38 minutes ago, Anoynmous Phoenix said:

@pete_coach

Cancel and go Sailaway.

24 minutes ago, zqvol said:

Is OP really asking this question?

Gosh folks, it is only a question. I am not demanding anything. Mellow out.

We already paid in full and I had a recent medical condition occur.

I have been a member of Cruise Critic for a long time and thought I could get some polite responses from NCL folks..

Edited by pete_coach

46 minutes ago, pete_coach said:

Gosh folks, it is only a question. I am not demanding anything. Mellow out.

We already paid in full and I had a recent medical condition occur.

I have been a member of Cruise Critic for a long time and thought I could get some polite responses from NCL folks..

I think your wording is what got under peoples skin. Asking for compensation for not taking a free perk is a bit much. 

When you originally booked you don't have to take any perks if you don't want to use them, there's no compensation involved with declining. It's not any different than cancelling after you've booked.

Edited by KSSS2013
a
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, KSSS2013 said:

I think your wording is what got under peoples skin. Asking for compensation for not taking a perk is a bit much. 

When you originally booked you don't have to take any perks if you don't want to use them, there's no compensation involved with declining. It's not any different than cancelling after you've booked.

Perhaps you are right. I corrected the term in a later post.

As I said, I had a recent medical condition which disallows me from drinking. Also, as I said, we have already paid in full.

This is a discussion forum, not expecting insulting and rude

2 hours ago, pete_coach said:

We also will not be using the free airfare part as we have sufficient loyalty points with an airline and can get a better schedule for us.

Assuming you're not past final payment, you should be able to remove the airfare portion (and included transfers, unless you already declined them). I'm sorry to hear about your medical condition. I live in fear that one day my Doc will tell me "no more alcohol," at which point my life will be basically over. 🤣 EDIT: you mentioned in a subsequent post that you'd paid in full. Getting the airfare back might be tricky at this point. Best of luck!

Edited by DCGuy64
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, pete_coach said:

Perhaps you are right. I corrected the term in a later post.

As I said, I had a recent medical condition which disallows me from drinking. Also, as I said, we have already paid in full.

This is a discussion forum, not expecting insulting and rude

And I get that it was a recent problem. You declined the perk end of story.

I don't feel I was insulting or rude, I was pointing out what made your post sound a bit entitled, I missed where you correct it later.

Edited by KSSS2013
a
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, pete_coach said:

Man, you're pulling out all the stops today! 😆

(Sorry for the medical thing. I'm there too, but I save all my naughty days for cruising.)

45 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

Assuming you're not past final payment, you should be able to remove the airfare portion (and included transfers, unless you already declined them). I'm sorry to hear about your medical condition. I live in fear that one day my Doc will tell me "no more alcohol," at which point my life will be basically over. 🤣 EDIT: you mentioned in a subsequent post that you'd paid in full. Getting the airfare back might be tricky at this point. Best of luck!

I don't believe the OP ever took the airfare portion.  They are complaining that they are not getting more off since they believe that the true cost of the drink package and airfare promo are in the cruise fare.  Its the same ridiculous argument that others try to make on here.  Its like saying that I don't plan on eating at the buffet so NCL owes me for what it would have cost them if I did.    

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Liljo22 said:

I don't believe the OP ever took the airfare portion.  They are complaining that they are not getting more off since they believe that the true cost of the drink package and airfare promo are in the cruise fare.  Its the same ridiculous argument that others try to make on here.  Its like saying that I don't plan on eating at the buffet so NCL owes me for what it would have cost them if I did.    

I guess I interpreted @pete_coach's comment

3 hours ago, pete_coach said:

as meaning he'd originally opted for (and paid for) the BOGO airfare and now no longer needs it. (But I could be wrong about that.)

35 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

as meaning he'd originally opted for (and paid for) the BOGO airfare and now no longer needs it. (But I could be wrong about that.)

The OP has posted in the past that they don't book the BOGO offer because NCL doesn't compensate you for your cruise if you miss because of delays or cancellations from the airline they put you on.  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Liljo22 said:

I asked a question. I did not complain. You are reading far too much into something that is not there.

It was a question.

18 hours ago, DCGuy64 said:

Yes, you misinterpreted.

18 hours ago, Liljo22 said:

The OP has posted in the past that they don't book the BOGO offer because NCL doesn't compensate you for your cruise if you miss because of delays or cancellations from the airline they put you on.  

I have never posted such a thing. You are mistaken.

Edited by pete_coach

7 minutes ago, pete_coach said:

I asked a question. I did not complain. You are reading far too much into something that is not there.

It was a question.

You have been posting on this board about the drink package and the airfare BOGO for a long time so you know what the answer was going to be.  It was just another way to complain about NCL's policies.  

2 minutes ago, Liljo22 said:

This isn't you?

image.png.229f7aefdcc986683151f4a11905362e.png

image.png.bc43463dd249fce60426799da2db6b0d.png

image.png.84533193003a6239c6f0d9afec861228.png

And where on there did I say "The OP has posted in the past that they don't book the BOGO offer because NCL doesn't compensate you for your cruise if you miss because of delays or cancellations from the airline they put you on.  "?

Those discussions were on booking with NCL and issues that have arisen to others.

My ancillary question was "We also will not be using the free airfare part as we have sufficient loyalty points with an airline and can get a better schedule for us. "

14 minutes ago, pete_coach said:

Yes, you misinterpreted.

Sorry that I misinterpreted. With respect, however, when you write

22 hours ago, pete_coach said:

Should there be compensation or onboard credit if not taking those benefits?

it certainly gives the impression that you HAD paid for the airfare and were now asking to drop it. Otherwise, why mention that and then say "should there be compensation or onboard credit if not taking those benefits"? What benefit did you receive if you didn't avail yourself of it in the first place? Please don't take offense, but you have a habit of making claims and then attempting to accuse those who push back of misinterpreting you, when it's actually you who are not being clear in what you write from the start. That's probably why so many are disagreeing with you. And yes, a lot of this stems from being online, because confusion is very easy.

Edited by DCGuy64
added context
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Liljo22 said:

You have been posting on this board about the drink package and the airfare BOGO for a long time so you know what the answer was going to be.  It was just another way to complain about NCL's policies.  

You are correct. If I have discussed topics, it was in response to what others have said and to reiterate or to provide answers.

Is your mandate to become some sort of posting police? And to misinterpret what people say??

Edited by pete_coach
spelling correction

Just now, DCGuy64 said:

Sorry that I misinterpreted. With respect, however, when you write

it certainly gives the impression that you HAD paid for the airfare and were now asking to drop it. Otherwise, why mention that and then say "should there be compensation or onboard credit if not taking those benefits"? What benefit did you receive if you didn't avail yourself of it in the first place?

I apologize if I wrote something that could be misinterpreted. Not my intent and  not proper wording. I did change the words, in a later post.

• Like 2