Let’s talk Ladies Dress Code

Eve

The last dress code post mostly addressed what the gents wear. Let’s talk about the ladies, shall we? I’ll be on my first Regent cruise shortly and I’m a little worried about not fitting in. Am I expected to wear palazzo pants and an Alex Evenings blouse every single evening lest I be looked down upon as a “scruff”? Or are dressy wide leg pants and a nice blouse (think Sunday brunch attire) acceptable? I’m stressing out about this. Any advice would be appreciated.

• Like 1

I am on Splendor now, close to ending a 12 night cruise. I brought a plain black dress (mid calf) and STILL have not worn it. I wear black or navy pants at night with cap toe ballet flats. For tops, I wear nice blouses - some long sleeve, others sleeveless (I do not get cold - but many ladies comment that the public spaces are chilly so a sweater or wrap may be good to have.)  I brought two statement necklaces that I mix in and my usual gold chain necklace with a solitare/circle. I have two black solid sweaters that are good for day or night. In fact most things I have I can wear day or night (excepting the yoga pants I am wearing now in Coffee Connection-it is 8 am here- and slim dark jeans that I wear during the day). Hope this helps. You will love your cruise. BTW - my DH did not bring a jacket at my urging, but a lot of men wear one at night and they look divine, in my opinion. But hubbie fits in with a collared shirt and a half zip sweater. Some men wear a only polo shirt to dinner. 

• Like 2

Try not to stress as we ladies have a lot more leeway. I agree with @Golfwife1 feedback but generally it's no shorts, T-shirts, jeans or trainers/sneakers after 6pm when out and about around the ship.

Dresses or skirts (long or short) that you feel good in if you like these, nice blouses/tops (long or short sleeved), 'proper' trousers/pants wide leg, medium leg, cigarette leg whichever is your preference, high heels/low heels - closed toe or sandals and something to pop round your shoulders if the air con is overly fierce.

I have never seen anything written down regarding the rather large amount of flesh that my younger friends have on show when they are dressed up for an evening out but I make sure tops and bottoms meet in the middle and skirts significantly cover knickers (or is that just an age thing 😂😂😜😜

Edited by Techno123
  • Like 1
  • Haha 7

This  topic has been covered for years on this site, just search it.  The Regent website also covers it.  For the most part, no jeans in any color, no matter what they may cost.   

Most people won’t be sizing you up either, except for a few select fashion police!  

• Like 2

The dress code is very simple and as long as you abide by it no one will "look down" on you.  Unless your cruise has a segment of 16 nights or longer there will be no Formal Optional night.  Here is the dress code regarding just women: 

"onboard dress in the evenings is Elegant Casual. Dinner dress for ladies includes a skirt, or slacks with a blouse or sweater, a pant suit or dress". 

https://www.rssc.com/frequently-asked-questions/onboard

Edited by papaflamingo

1 hour ago, Got2Cruise said:

The dress code is “suggested”. It’s not like anyone will tell you to go and change. 

I beg to differ - I have certainly seen a man in shorts refused admission to CR and asked to go to change (there is some leeway if an excursion has returned late but that wasn't the case here) and others have seen people in the bars asked to go and change after 6pm.

In fairness the dress code is not hard to adhere to.

Edited by Techno123
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

While most posters inquire because they would feel more comfortable in smart casual clothes, some may also inquire because they would like to dress up and not feel out of place.  ME.  I like to dress up and have used formal clothes in Med cruises.  I enjoy doing this and I think nobody cares.  We have a Caribbean cruise coming soon...no formal clothes, but elegant casual.  Dress elegant or smart casual, you will be fine.

• Like 4

Brilliant statement Techno

👌

May I add, on our August cruise my “Posh  Frocks” stayed in the wardrobe and my summer dresses of various lengths were certainly smart enough. Any type of trousers with pretty blouses whether sparkling or plain, silk or cotton were definitely the norm. 
Think lunch with the girls in a good restaurant. 
The only exception was the speciality restaurant were about 25% dressed in their finery.
Those who read my review will know how that went for me however it does enable me to say the Laundry on the Mariner is an excellent service. This should help with any desire to overpack.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

19 minutes ago, welshfamily said:

The only exception was the speciality restaurant were about 25% dressed in their finery.
Those who read my review will know how that went for me however it does enable me to say the Laundry on the Mariner is an excellent service. 

Have you had a popcorn sundae since @welshfamily 😂😜 

• Haha 5

I always bring a dark suit for dinner with staff. If they have to dress up, I will do them the respect of dressing up as well. Other than that, I am pretty laid back. You will never feel out of place my over-dressing although you might be asked to change if you don't meet the dress code (as you should).

• Like 3

Have booked another cruise and am looking forward to a non eventful sundae.

😁

Unfortunately it’s not until next August. Schools don’t break until the 22nd of December so Christmas cruising was out and Regent have no 7 days over the holiday period. We already had a land holiday booked for Easter. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

This will be our first Regent cruise too and I was worried about being overdressed.

I’m obviously going to leave the floor length ball gowns at home but I intend to wear a cocktail dress and heels every night.

There was a series on TV about The Splendor a few months ago and I was eagerly watching what people were wearing in the evening, it did seem to be a mix of casual and dressy.

I’m casual every day at home so a holiday is a chance to dress up, I was reassured that I won’t be the only one in a cocktail dress.

• Like 10

I have watched with amusement the clothing worn during the evening by the Social Hostess and the performance crew who are not doing a show that night.  I really found the shoes with pink fluff to be a bit much, but it allows them to play dress up.  As far as the passengers, there have been some outfits on woman which I though belonged on the stage in Las Vagas, but they can have their fun.  I tend to wear a sport coat and tie on the nights when the upper staff meet the passengers, but normally just wear a clean, not the one worn all day, collared shirt and pants.  Yes also socks and shoes, but now days they are mostly not noticed by anyone.    

• Like 1

Go for it @The Med all you will get will be compliments on how lovely you look 😁  I always take one long dress but it isn't a ball gown type but like you, I don't dress up that much at home so enjoy the opportunity on cruises.

Edited by Techno123
  • Like 5

I'm about the most casual person in the world.  For my first Radisson cruise I bought a couple of glitzy tops (in the thrift shop), and some black velvet pants (I lived in jeans at that point of my life).  That was 23 years ago, ha ha.  Since then I've branched out to nice tops, not necessarily glitzy, but nice-looking and comfortable to wear.  I have a selection of nice, stretchy pants, often black or beige.  Assorted fairly simple jewelery, and some evening sandals.  A shawl or two.

On 10/17/2023 at 5:33 PM, Pcardad said:

I always bring a dark suit for dinner with staff. If they have to dress up, I will do them the respect of dressing up as well. Other than that, I am pretty laid back. You will never feel out of place my over-dressing although you might be asked to change if you don't meet the dress code (as you should).

We are usually invited to a hosted table at least once during a cruise and like Pcardad, we always bring one "dressy" outfit with us, not a ballgown but a nice cocktail dress. For the other nights, I either wear a simple dress with a sweater (I am usually cold) or pants with a nice top. I typically purchase clothes that pack easily and do not wrinkle (because unfortunately the wonderful Regent laundry fairies do not accompany me on business trips) At this stage of my life, comfort takes precedent over fashion.

• Thanks 1

I am not trying to take this thread in a "different" direction, but I have to say that I never understood why dress codes seem to bring out some of the worst in posters.  This one didn't go as far into left field as I was expecting considering the thread starter was a little snarky.  Look, I am a guy, but I do admire the way a lot of women (and men) pull off lovely outfits that I would otherwise not be considered "dressy" using what otherwise might be considered "casual."   I have walked through the ladies department in stores ranging from Saks and Bergdorff's to Macy's and have seen many smart-looking components that would work perfectly on both the mass market and luxury lines.

This is not the Gilded Age.  No one is going to point and stare or clutch their pearls and stumble backwards onto a fainting couch if someone appears in the dining room and isn't dressed in $5,000 Gucci or Prada.  I would imagine one of the reasons why Chanel created the little black dress was for something like this.  What's so hard about a nice skirt, dress, or slacks; blouse or sweater, and attractive shoes???  They fit in luggage just as easily as your sneakers and tee shirts.

And don't get me started about not being comfortable in more formal clothing.

Edited by scamper
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 10/17/2023 at 12:28 AM, Eve said:

The last dress code post mostly addressed what the gents wear. Let’s talk about the ladies, shall we? I’ll be on my first Regent cruise shortly and I’m a little worried about not fitting in. Am I expected to wear palazzo pants and an Alex Evenings blouse every single evening lest I be looked down upon as a “scruff”? Or are dressy wide leg pants and a nice blouse (think Sunday brunch attire) acceptable? I’m stressing out about this. Any advice would be appreciated.

We have always had at least 1 formal night but now ...  I don't think that's the case .So totally don't stress! I have a special dress that was my mothers, I wear it on every cruise! A perfect outfit is always one that YOU feel great in. 

• Like 1

Personally, I see a cruise on Regent as my chance to bring on the sequins…dresses, pantsuits, heels…I love dressing up and have never felt out of place on Regent. I do think that Regent customers dress better for evening - and smart casual will fit in just fine.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2