Does shareholder OBC need to be purchased a certain amount of time before your cruise?

Ellaleah

1 minute ago, aggie311 said:

Do a lot of people buy the stock, get the credit and then resell it? And then rinse and repeat for each cruise?

I can't speak for "a lot of people", but I don't. I've bought it once and have used it 4 times. It's a nice tax-free dividend. I've also made a gain on the stock. Not much, but even at a loss it would have been more than worth it.

21 hours ago, Ellaleah said:

And how long do you need to hold onto it before selling? thank you

We have requested the share holder credit 10 days before cruise and got it within 24 hours. 

We purchased stock once and use it 4-6 times a year for our cruises. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MoCruiseFan said:

I do not think it was an error.  I am oretty sure the OP intentioanlly wrote 'putchase'.  🙂

No, he wrote "purchase", not "putchase". And anyone with more than one active braincell knew that he was talking about stock, not OBC. Except you, I guess. 😆

21 hours ago, aggie311 said:

Do a lot of people buy the stock, get the credit and then resell it? And then rinse and repeat for each cruise?

Not really a good idea because of capital gains laws.   If you're flipping a stock quickly then your entire portfolio can be liable for the full income tax rate instead of the lower capital gains rate.

If you're serious about doing it, I'd suggest speaking to an accountant or tax advisor first.

I sent in the forms for 2 cruises. In just over a day I got an email saying I am getting the obc on both cruises. When I look at it on line in the vacation summary one has the obc but nothing on the other one.

1 hour ago, phantomII said:

I sent in the forms for 2 cruises. In just over a day I got an email ... in the vacation summary one has the obc but nothing on the other one.

Sent an email referencing the case # and/or email you've received - back to shareholders department at NCL, ask them to check & send you an updated Amenity Summary Statement, and keep a copy as proof (hard copy on paper is best) - had a recent mystery last month, first time in over 15 years with NCLH OBC) - gave onboard services 3 days to update & post, went down & show them the printout ... "claimed they don't show it on their system - open a case number, email details to Miami to chase it.  24 hours later, it was all fixed & restored"  Thankfully, line at GS wasn't too long as I head there early in the morning when many were still ... 

7 minutes ago, mking8288 said:

Sent an email referencing the case # and/or email you've received - back to shareholders department at NCL, ask them to check & send you an updated Amenity Summary Statement, and keep a copy as proof (hard copy on paper is best) - had a recent mystery last month, first time in over 15 years with NCLH OBC) - gave onboard services 3 days to update & post, went down & show them the printout ... "claimed they don't show it on their system - open a case number, email details to Miami to chase it.  24 hours later, it was all fixed & restored"  Thankfully, line at GS wasn't too long as I head there early in the morning when many were still ... 

Thank you, at least I have 29 days to get it fixed.

• Haha 1