Maleth Aero flights - charge to book seats

seahorse001

hi

sorry if I have opened another thread. I can see there is one thread on Maleth Aero but my question is not answered.

I have just been on my P & O booking and realised I could book my seat on the flight. Then I realised that I would have to pay?

Does anyone know why I have to pay to book a seat? I'm not particularly bothered where I sit as I'm a solo traveller, but if I had a choice I would like to book my preferred preference - but I'm not paying . HA !

Thanks in advance 

48 minutes ago, david63 said:

I may be wrong but I thought that you always had to pay to book seats on a P&O charter flight.

Last time we flew to Barbados for Arvia in Feb I tried to book seats too late so just had to be allocated them on arrival. Didn't realise until reading on here we actually saved money not booking seats

We were still seated together

As a solo passenger I wouldn't be paying to choose a standard seat myself

It's just another way of extracting income IMO

• Like 2

Apparently it is P&O that sets the seat charge on the charter not the airline.  This year the cost increased from £36pp each way to £45pp each way which is a pretty steep increase on any measure.  Families and groups in particular are keen on reserving their seats but as a solo I wouldn't bother.  In the past I have had good solo seats as they tend to be aisle allocations and on a couple of occasions I even got free of charge a bulkhead seat, although that was on Thomas Cook before their demise.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Apparently it is P&O that sets the seat charge on the charter not the airline.  This year the cost increased from £36pp each way to £45pp each way which is a pretty steep increase on any measure.  Families and groups in particular are keen on reserving their seats but as a solo I wouldn't bother.  In the past I have had good solo seats as they tend to be aisle allocations and on a couple of occasions I even got free of charge a bulkhead seat, although that was on Thomas Cook before their demise.

For anyone who doesn't want to pay to book seats (there must be a decent number like me who either forget or don't want to pay) then I guess arriving early for check in gives best chance of being able to secure seats together still 

The people allocating seats at check in aren't going to split people up until they really have no alternative you would like to think

Knowing we didn't pay last time and were still seated together makes me tempted to not pay this time either

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

For anyone who doesn't want to pay to book seats (there must be a decent number like me who either forget or don't want to pay) then I guess arriving early for check in gives best chance of being able to secure seats together still 

The people allocating seats at check in aren't going to split people up until they really have no alternative you would like to think

Knowing we didn't pay last time and were still seated together makes me tempted to not pay this time either

Yes, up until my husband got to the stage his illness made him need certainty we never reserved seats and were never separated.  We generally ask for two seats across the aisle anyway as I get a bit claustrophobic if I get the middle seat, but that's never happened so far.

We stay overnight in a hotel 3 minutes walk to the check in and generally check our luggage as it opens at 3 hours before the flight. We then wander back into the hotel for breakfast and go through security about 2 hours before the flight, we pay for fast track. That's had added benefits the past two years as there have been substantial flight delays of two and three hours so we've been able to stay in the room rather than the terminal.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

That might work on the way out (and great if it does) but what about the way back when everyone goes back to the airport at the same time or do they give you seats both ways on the charter?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Megabear2 said:

Thanks Megabear. There is no way I am going to pay for seats when travelling solo. I will take my chances and leave them allocate seat.. What a blinking cheek !

1 hour ago, Eglesbrech said:

That might work on the way out (and great if it does) but what about the way back when everyone goes back to the airport at the same time or do they give you seats both ways on the charter?

Your seats are allocated by P&O and arrive at your cabin in an envelope along with labels to attach.  Again I've never been split from my travelling companion. Those who want window seats are the ones who are most likely to pay.  The system is pretty strict on couples so once the window seats are purchased couples normally get two aisles across from each other. Latecomers, inwards, can and do get split generally they'll get a seat in front of their companions as the next option. Allocation on the day is very much ruled by how many have paid for reserved seats, obviously the more prebooked the less the chance for everyone to sit with their companion.

Edited by Megabear2
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Megabear2 said:

thanks for reply , i think that is just disgusting profiteering. I have scoured the P & O website and cant see anywhere where it states you pay for seats 

1 hour ago, Eglesbrech said:

I was thinking about that. We were seated together on way back as well though. We werent so bothered on way back.

We had the laptop ready to do our vat return together on the way out 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

I was thinking about that. We were seated together on way back as well though. We werent so bothered on way back.

We had the laptop ready to do our vat return together on the way out 

Why not look at the seat plan the day after and then a week or two after bookings open, that way you can see if a lot of seats are going fast and make an informed decision. Your flight being a Maleth one the rush for "better" seats may be higher.  You cannot book them one way only though, which I think is a swizz as many don't worry so much on the return as they are hopefully sleeping.

• Like 2

By charging so much for seat selection they really are taking the proverbial!🤬  For a family or four who may have bagged a cheap cruise, pre-selecting their seat due to the fear of being split up if they don't, will add another £360 to their holiday cost.

We never pay to select ahead as our lass always has special assistance, and for all the scheduled flights we have taken, the bulkhead seats have always been blocked out and kept back for folk like us.

However, for our flight back from Barbados with TUI in January, it was row 2 in PE that was blocked out; they were selling the bulkhead seats, with folk keen to pay for them as they had extra legroom. I sent an email to P&O, complaining that profits appeared to be more important to them than the needs and welfare of their disabled guests. The response I got back was that seating assignments and the charges were down to TUI.  Given what @Megabear2 writes in post #5, that was a total lie!

Luckily, due to the seat pitch in PE, she just about managed, but if we were in economy there is no way she would have managed with the second row.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, TigerB said:

Given what @Megabear2 writes in post #5, that was a total lie!

It's not gospel but what I was informed by two P&O people when querying it buying seats on a Birmingham flight - we had paid for extra legroom seats at extra cost on that flight which were actually very poor seats so I complained about the lack of control of passengers/cold and the adding of extra booking charge for the seat reservation. TheTUI cabin staff had the jumpseat opposite our seats - no one bought the third seat so we had the row - and thet confirmed the costs and level of service was set by P&O.  The discussion centred on TUI charging less to reserve, cheaper cost for extra legroom and the use of the lounge and the drinks being included throughout the flight. At that time economy passengers only got one free drink outside of meal service. I believe it is no longer like that.

Definitely the return seat allocations are done by P&O with no input from the airline. I'm afraid they fibbed to you on that one.

Edited by Megabear2
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, seahorse001 said:

thanks for reply , i think that is just disgusting profiteering. I have scoured the P & O website and cant see anywhere where it states you pay for seats 

You will have a seat/s on the plane, but if you wish to chose your seat/s rather than be allocated from what is left then you pay for this choice, common practice for some years.

Edited by Bill Y
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

Have never been on an airline where you don't have to pay if you book a seat. That's with BA, TUI, Monarch. Excel and Jet 2. Some gone now but if you book in advance you have to pay

Apart from BA these are all charter airlines though.  BA allows you to choose your seat free of charge on check in latest 24 hours before.  BA club members get free seats earlier dependent on their level.

Other scheduled airlines you can pick a seat at booking, often without charge at check in.

The airlines are currently being investigated by the government over these additional charges.  The charges for additional things like seat reservations etc are adding significantly to costs for passengers. The "experiment" with seat charging actually started in the US in 2008 and crept in to the UK via low cost airlines and holiday jets.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TigerB said:

By charging so much for seat selection they really are taking the proverbial!🤬  For a family or four who may have bagged a cheap cruise, pre-selecting their seat due to the fear of being split up if they don't, will add another £360 to their holiday cost.

We never pay to select ahead as our lass always has special assistance, and for all the scheduled flights we have taken, the bulkhead seats have always been blocked out and kept back for folk like us.

However, for our flight back from Barbados with TUI in January, it was row 2 in PE that was blocked out; they were selling the bulkhead seats, with folk keen to pay for them as they had extra legroom. I sent an email to P&O, complaining that profits appeared to be more important to them than the needs and welfare of their disabled guests. The response I got back was that seating assignments and the charges were down to TUI.  Given what @Megabear2 writes in post #5, that was a total lie!

Luckily, due to the seat pitch in PE, she just about managed, but if we were in economy there is no way she would have managed with the second row.

I wonder what any airline would do if they found that a disabled passenger could not sit in the seat they had assigned them, but they  could fit in a seat allocated and occupied by another passenger?????

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Presto2 said:

Have never been on an airline where you don't have to pay if you book a seat. That's with BA, TUI, Monarch. Excel and Jet 2. Some gone now but if you book in advance you have to pay

We have not flown since 2010, but flew regularly before that and never ever paid extra to book a seat on any scheduled flight, and even on our low cost Jet2 flights to Spain we never paid for seats, and always ended up sitting together, although possibly because we noticed that their on line booking system would allocate sequential seat numbers if you did not pay for seats.

So I guess since 2010 things must have changed, clearly not for the better.

Just now, terrierjohn said:

We have not flown since 2010, but flew regularly before that and never ever paid extra to book a seat on any scheduled flight, and even on our low cost Jet2 flights to Spain we never paid for seats, and always ended up sitting together, although possibly because we noticed that their on line booking system would allocate sequential seat numbers if you did not pay for seats.

So I guess since 2010 things must have changed, clearly not for the better.

I'm confused as have always paid extra for things like seats together by a window and extra legroom seats. 

50 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Apart from BA these are all charter airlines though.  BA allows you to choose your seat free of charge on check in latest 24 hours before.  BA club members get free seats earlier dependent on their level.

Other scheduled airlines you can pick a seat at booking, often without charge at check in.

The airlines are currently being investigated by the government over these additional charges.  The charges for additional things like seat reservations etc are adding significantly to costs for passengers. The "experiment" with seat charging actually started in the US in 2008 and crept in to the UK via low cost airlines and holiday jets.

It will be interesting to see what happens with this investigation, but I hazard a guess that even if they are forced to reduce or even cease charging for seat bookings etc, all the airlines will do is find another way, or just increase the base fare.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I wonder what any airline would do if they found that a disabled passenger could not sit in the seat they had assigned them, but they  could fit in a seat allocated and occupied by another passenger?????

They would be moved happened quite a bit. Only for takeoff and landing though. Crew had to deal with the problems, gate agents did not care.

Edited by carlanthony24
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

I'm confused as have always paid extra for things like seats together by a window and extra legroom seats. 

We never needed extra legroom seats, and always managed to book window seats, possibly because we generally booked our flights early.

12 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

It will be interesting to see what happens with this investigation, but I hazard a guess that even if they are forced to reduce or even cease charging for seat bookings etc, all the airlines will do is find another way, or just increase the base fare.

The EU and USA are looking to act on such charges as seat allocation and hand luggage charges, which are often billed as optional, as both believe airlines are using them to advertise the lowest fares online. 

• Like 2