Basic Question: How to choose a seating time in the MDR?

mckath

Hello all - 

I had asked a while back about whether or not the early or late seating would be better in the MDR.  We finally settled on the "late" seating but I cannot find an option on the app or on the website where I can choose an MDR seating time. I do see options to reserve specialty dining.  Has the traditional MDR early/late seating option been completely replaced by "As You Wish" dining? BTW this is for the Rotterdam in January.

Thanks,

Kathy

51 minutes ago, mckath said:

Hello all - 

I had asked a while back about whether or not the early or late seating would be better in the MDR.  We finally settled on the "late" seating but I cannot find an option on the app or on the website where I can choose an MDR seating time. I do see options to reserve specialty dining.  Has the traditional MDR early/late seating option been completely replaced by "As You Wish" dining? BTW this is for the Rotterdam in January.

Thanks,

Kathy

As stated, you make your selection when booking the cruise.  If that wasn't done, you're probably in anytime (as you wish) dining by default.  You (or your travel agent if that's how you booked) will need to call HAL to see if any seating is available in fixed main (that's the late seating) dining & move you there.  If that's not successful you can try getting it changed asap after boarding the ship - there will be podiums set up in a few spots around the ship to handle specialty dining reservations but I think they may assist with MDR issues as well (I'd look in that area).  January is right around the corner, so it may be tough to change in advance at this late date.

Sue/WDW1972

• Like 1

Call HAL or have your agent call.  If your preference is not available they will waitlist you.  When you board check your key card for assignment. If it is not what you want then go to the reservation desk and work out a suitable arrangement 

• Like 1

I've booked a March 2025 cruise on Noordam.  It defaulted to any time dining.  When my TA asked for early dining she was told that it wasn't available and we were waitlisted.  I don't believe that many people could have booked the cruise yet, so I think HAL is trying to push people towards any time dining.  My TA will keep trying for me.

• 2 months later...

What time is early seating, usually?  On several cruise lines, it's been moved up to 5 pm, which is way too early (for me).  I've been away from HAL for a while, so don't presume anything is the way it used to be.

I think it is 5:30. It may be 6. But I think 5:30. Not sure as I never take it, it is way too early for me. If you are assigned anytime, go to the dining room the first day and ask to switch to fixed late. There are usually plenty of openings. Most people want anytime ( which I hate.)

• Like 1

I was just on the Koningsdam last month. We always get late fixed dining, table for two, but were surprised to find that late dining was now at 7:30PM. Early dining (ridiculously early, in my opinion) was at 5:00PM. Whether this is a system-wide change I can't say, but I did like the 7:30PM time rather than 8:00PM.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

It could be this change in fixed dining time was intended to coordinate with the show times?  I like the 7:30 time too, but sympathize with those who find 5pm too early. Barely back from time on shore to get ready. 

The 8pm  fixed dining time rarely allowed time to go to the later show, or at least get there before it started. But one could go  to the earlier show, before dinner.