Is Europe safe right now? Should I cancel my trip?

Acmcho

The pickpocket issue is real, and is a problem in many tourist-oriented places around the world.  In Europe, over our nearly 50 years of extensive travel, we have foiled pick-pocket attempts in Bologna, Istanbul, and Arles.  We have also witnessed (and saw foiled) a lame attempt in Barcelona.

Cruisemom does a service by posting her warning and thoughts.  We simply view pickpockets as a real risk (anywhere) and take basic precautions to protect our valuables.  Common sense and being aware of your surroundings will go a long way to dealing with the issue.  Most pick pockets look for the easy mark, and also like to focus on folks wearing expensive jewelry/watches.  "Dress to impress" and you might impress the unwanted :(.  

For the ladies I would suggest DW's practice of always wearing her purse "cross shoulder" and using a large safety pin to secure the outside zipper.  As to me, I keep cash in front pocket which is often further secured with a large safety pin.  We have some friends who have been targeted by simply wearing a back pack.  Some travelers/Europeans will wear a backpack on their chest.  

But one basic rule is to not carry unneeded valuables.  Although I have multiple credit cards, I will usually take only 1 when out and about (the rest are locked in a hotel or cruise ship safe).  We also do not carry our Passports unless there is a very specific reason (i.e. law, need it for a rental car, etc).  Back in 2018 it was reported that stolen passports were being sold on the dark web for prices in excess of $10,000.  Most folks would never think of carrying $10,000 in cash or valuables, but happily carry their Passport wherever they go.  Fruit for thought.

By the way, one scam I saw last winter (while living in Puerto Vallarta) where several tourists victimized as they were boarding local buses.  The pick-pocket/purse snatcher would strike just as the person was boarding a bus. It happened so fast that the victim has already stepped on the bus step before they had a clue..and at that point they were not able to quickly react because of others crowding behind.  Meanwhile, the thief (and they were usually quite young) was quickly walking/running away.

Also be very careful at ATMs.  It is best to have a friend/partner watching your back.  There are also some issues with "ATM skimmers" and if you are unaware you might want to Google the term and get an education.  We also have an issue with legal skimming/stealing which is something known as "Dynamic Currency Conversion" which is another term folks should Google if they have no knowledge of this form of what I consider legal theft.

Hank

• Like 1

We always try to use ATMs that are either in the lobby or outside the bank office. And preferably during office hours.  If there are any problems the bank can help you out immediately. Also, these ATMs are the least likely to be compromised with a "skimmer."  

If using them at the airport, we try to find an ATM within the secure area, not out in the public concourse.

Always have one person watching the other's back.  And immediately stick the cash in a front pants pocket or a secure bag. Don't stand around in public arranging it in your wallet. 

• Like 1

Best advice wear a money belt under your clothes for your valuables.  Otherwise it’s just a matter of time.  DH was the victim but all they got was his throwaway wallet with a few euros.  He grabbed the guy so they even dropped that,  but our real $ and credit cards were  tucked safely under our clothes.   We have seen too many bags that were stolen and discarded.  

We saw an expert that was brought onboard one ship,  he could even take a person’s belt, watch and/or glasses using distraction.    Even after this, eleven people on our ship had their passports stolen.  One lady lost her 22k necklace to nice young women who helped her clean off bird droppings.   Please don’t think it won’t happen to you.

echoing @marazul about the ATM,  we once had a withdrawal that was aborted not cancelled.    The problem is our bank thought we had the funds,  and we were in Deep South Italy where English was extremely limited.  We actually had to go and get the local carabinieri to attest to this as the bank manager refused to even meet with us while they took apart the machine.    

Edited by bennybear

On 12/16/2023 at 7:42 PM, cruisemom42 said:

I take it even further. I put the money, credit cards, etc. that I absolutely must carry with me inside a "secret pocket" and then use a safety pin to pin that pocket INSIDE a zipped pocket INSIDE my purse.

I don't like to use the Travelon or PacSafe bags, but this solution has worked for me so far.

This is very good & sound advice. Personally, having once had my shoulder handbag snatched from me in Spain (won´t go into details, but I was lucky to get it back with the help of some young, alert, and fit locals who caught the perpetrator) I always carry a PacSafe bag and wear it across my body. I also try not to come across as an attractive target by avoiding wearing expensive-looking clothing & accessories while sightseeing and city touring.

Other than pickpockets and petty thieves though, I can´t see that there are any other safety issues to be concerned about in Europe if you travel as a cruise tourist.

17 hours ago, Maria63 said:

This is very good & sound advice. Personally, having once had my shoulder handbag snatched from me in Spain (won´t go into details, but I was lucky to get it back with the help of some young, alert, and fit locals who caught the perpetrator) I always carry a PacSafe bag and wear it across my body. I also try not to come across as an attractive target by avoiding wearing expensive-looking clothing & accessories while sightseeing and city touring.

Other than pickpockets and petty thieves though, I can´t see that there are any other safety issues to be concerned about in Europe if you travel as a cruise tourist.

You're right!

As far as feeling "safe" from violence in Italy:  I have 2 owners who own a villa in Tuscany and spend months at a time there.  They travel from there to here via Rome.   They just got back here to the Lodge last weekend.  They said they saw no issues anywhere they went again.  I will say, you would never know how wealthy they are by what they wear and carry.  That could be one of their little secrets.  

The pickpocket and TMS issues have been around for decades.  Just be aware and use your common sense - most people leave their common sense at home on vacations (from someone who works in the hospitality business).  

14 hours ago, slidergirl said:

As far as feeling "safe" from violence in Italy:  I have 2 owners who own a villa in Tuscany and spend months at a time there.  They travel from there to here via Rome.   They just got back here to the Lodge last weekend.  They said they saw no issues anywhere they went again.  I will say, you would never know how wealthy they are by what they wear and carry.  That could be one of their little secrets.  

The pickpocket and TMS issues have been around for decades.  Just be aware and use your common sense - most people leave their common sense at home on vacations (from someone who works in the hospitality business).  

We sometimes think that "common sense" and "cruisers" are an oxymoron.  Over a lifetime (50 plus years) of extensive travel/cruising we have seen so many examples of how folks leave their "common sense" at home when they go on a cruise (or many international trips).  Just consider a simple thing like jewelry.  Most folks are pretty careful when buying fine jewelry, but that seems to change on cruises.  Folks pour off cruise ships, go into all kinds of jewelry stores, and buy stuff without having a real clue if they are getting proper value for their money.  The Diamonds International store in Puerto Vallarta will sometimes open early, because there is a large cruise ship in the port.  There are 10s of thousands of expats and visitors in our region, but it is the visit of a single cruise ship that can trigger early openings!  Why?  It is the same with a few shops that are "featured" on cruise line walking tours :).

We have previously posted about our experience living in a cruise port (Puerto Vallarta) for part of the year.  We spend hours (every day) on our condo balcony which overlooks the sea and a busy part of the "Malecon."  From 5 stories above the ground, DW and I can often pick cruisers out of the crowd by how they dress, carry their valuables, etc.  And this is in a city where nearly everyone is a tourist!  Local thieves know that cruisers are good "marks" because most carry cash, credit cards, etc. When a cruiser goes off the ship wearing their cruise card, medallion (if on Princess), or carrying their cruise line issued tote bag, they are simply advertising "look at me, I am a cruiser carrying cash and credit cards."    Most of us love to cruise (which is why we are here on CC) but no need to advertise that fact when you go ashore in tourist-oriented cruise ports.  

• Like 2

As a tourist, I know that I look like a target anyway. I do try to be aware of my surroundings, and all the typical scams I should be looking out for, but my body language is always going to give the game away outside of my home country. I do carry a PacSafe bag, and I don’t mind that any pickpocket can spot it as a PacSafe from 50 paces. My hope is that they will think it’s more of a pain in the backside and choose someone with an easier handbag,