Jump to content
  • Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Cancellation of cruise in the Middle East


Hill Country Dakota
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hello from the Oceania Riviera in Istanbul😳 Not a happy camper, but here we are. I tried everything to cancel. No luck. There are only 400 passengers on board with a capacity of 1250! Did other people figure out a way to cancel that I couldn’t?   My last ditch effort was my credit card, but despite sending them all the requested documentation and repeated phone calls, my case was pending day after day. Finally late last night they told me the insurance examiner will call me on November 30 or December 1!!!

We are trying to be positive and make the best of it. Not off to a good start: just saw that they changed our shore excursion tomorrow morning to 7:00 am instead of 8:30 am. Reason: Ship is leaving Istanbul earlier than planned - at 2 pm. 😩
 

 

  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, MarianneBD said:

Hello from the Oceania Riviera in Istanbul😳 Not a happy camper, but here we are. I tried everything to cancel. No luck. There are only 400 passengers on board with a capacity of 1250! Did other people figure out a way to cancel that I couldn’t?   My last ditch effort was my credit card, but despite sending them all the requested documentation and repeated phone calls, my case was pending day after day. Finally late last night they told me the insurance examiner will call me on November 30 or December 1!!!

We are trying to be positive and make the best of it. Not off to a good start: just saw that they changed our shore excursion tomorrow morning to 7:00 am instead of 8:30 am. Reason: Ship is leaving Istanbul earlier than planned - at 2 pm. 😩
 

 

Thank you for this update 

we cancelled our cruise since our insurance says they cover terrorist event which this attack in Israel should qualify.  That’s still pending. Our airfare we are dealing with separately 

it will be interesting to hear other passengers stories. 
our friends who were to travel with  us charged their trip in Amex platinum. They got full credit on their account 

Seems like everyone doing whatever it takes. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, MarianneBD said:

Hello from the Oceania Riviera in Istanbul😳 Not a happy camper, but here we are. I tried everything to cancel. No luck. There are only 400 passengers on board with a capacity of 1250! Did other people figure out a way to cancel that I couldn’t?   My last ditch effort was my credit card, but despite sending them all the requested documentation and repeated phone calls, my case was pending day after day. Finally late last night they told me the insurance examiner will call me on November 30 or December 1!!!

We are trying to be positive and make the best of it. Not off to a good start: just saw that they changed our shore excursion tomorrow morning to 7:00 am instead of 8:30 am. Reason: Ship is leaving Istanbul earlier than planned - at 2 pm. 😩
 

 

We are on this cruise also and have been since Barcelona. The Cruise Director (confirmed by two other crew members) told us that there are 500 aboard for this segment, along with a crew from StarLink who also got on to the convert the internet to StarLink.  We have always had a 2pm departure from Istanbul tomorrow and that still is the case.

Edited by RetiredLifer
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Will do! 
BTW a few minor glitches as our embarkation day ends…

Suitcases left out in the pouring rain between scanning at terminal and when they were delivered to our rooms. Suitcases, some clothes,  and a couple of books soaked. Probably not Oceania’s fault. When I let them know, they did offer pressing service. Yay! 
Of course I just HAD to ask this person (management type) if she and others were aware of the situation with this cruise and if we were going to get any fun perks. She said her hands were tied; upper management in Miami said “absolutely not.”
Not the way I would run things, that’s for sure. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Since there are so many empty cabins all of you should ask to be upgraded, start filling the ship from the top suites and work down. I can't believe O won't do anything special for you. An open bar would go a long way to keeping everyone in a happy mood.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 I just saw that RCCL Quantum of the seas was "overbooked on a cruise from Brisbane, Australia. The "overbooked" guests who had guaranteed cabins found out when they could not board. RCCL gave full refunds, plus 25%. They also waited until the last moment to see if any passengers were no shows and offered those cabins to some of the :passengers " waiting at the pier. 

OY!

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, susiesan said:

Since there are so many empty cabins all of you should ask to be upgraded, start filling the ship from the top suites and work down. I can't believe O won't do anything special for you. An open bar would go a long way to keeping everyone in a happy mood.

Upgrades have been available at the reception.

 

$800 to concierge veranda, $1000 for penthouse suite which we took. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On board Nautica. Day 2 of 9 sea days. Mandatory piracy drill today where we sat on floor in the hall for 10 minurtes while they read from the same letter they sent to our rooms.  We are now in a HRA (high risk area) for the next 3 days all the ships curtains will be closed at sundown. No lighrts on running track or outside decks. Seriously why are we here?   

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Linda Deenen said:

On board Nautica. Day 2 of 9 sea days. Mandatory piracy drill today where we sat on floor in the hall for 10 minurtes while they read from the same letter they sent to our rooms.  We are now in a HRA (high risk area) for the next 3 days all the ships curtains will be closed at sundown. No lighrts on running track or outside decks. Seriously why are we here?   

Wow. Were you offered anything for your anxiety? Are you getting free drinks to help ease anxiety?

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, susiesan said:

Wow. Were you offered anything for your anxiety? Are you getting free drinks to help ease anxiety?

This type of drill is normal when sailing in that area - nothing new,  We had those drills in that area several years ago,

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, basor said:

This type of drill is normal when sailing in that area - nothing new,  We had those drills in that area several years ago,


Yes, this threat  has been around since 2000. People really need to do a bit of homework before the travel and assess their own risk aversion.

 

The piracy threat is quite minimal so no need for panic really!

 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, thetravellingta said:

Upgrades have been available at the reception.

 

$800 to concierge veranda, $1000 for penthouse suite which we took. 

Not so sure it is impressive. I think the detail that is missing as to whether it is a great deal on such an empty ship…..the original booked category. For Instance if you were in an OV and received a $1,000 upgrade for PV that might be. If you were in a CV, not so much. I would hope that Oceania is stepping up and this analogy is Oceania actually doing the right thing. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Vineyard View said:

Not so sure it is impressive. I think the detail that is missing as to whether it is a great deal on such an empty ship…..the original booked category. For Instance if you were in an OV and received a $1,000 upgrade for PV that might be. If you were in a CV, not so much. I would hope that Oceania is stepping up and this analogy is Oceania actually doing the right thing. 

I interpreted these amounts to indicate that Oceania was not giving anything away, but I’d be happy to be mistaken.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, PhD-iva said:

I interpreted these amounts to indicate that Oceania was not giving anything away, but I’d be happy to be mistaken.

I interpreted to mean that to these cruisers it was acceptable so they decided to do it. It was their choice so in reality what anyone else thinks about it or if it is impressive or not is pointless. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, EJL2023 said:

I interpreted to mean that to these cruisers it was acceptable so they decided to do it. It was their choice so in reality what anyone else thinks about it or if it is impressive or not is pointless. 

I think the world is watching how O responds/has responded to these cruisers. I believe it certainly is “not pointless” to have and to express an opinion. I’m interested in the opinion of others, but not interested in being told my view “is pointless.”

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Vineyard View said:

Not so sure it is impressive. I think the detail that is missing as to whether it is a great deal on such an empty ship…..the original booked category. For Instance if you were in an OV and received a $1,000 upgrade for PV that might be. If you were in a CV, not so much. I would hope that Oceania is stepping up and this analogy is Oceania actually doing the right thing. 

B1 basic veranda stateroom to penthouse for $1000.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My thoughts after interacting with Riviera staff…The reception/housekeeping/dining staff are as pleasant as can be. I very politely asked if they knew of any issues with this cruise and they did not. However, the higher level (spoke to two but can’t recall titles) were aware but offered no apologies or offers. Stonefaced. (I posted earlier that one told me they were instructed NOT to make any offers on board.) 

Not a lawyer, but I bet the Oceania legal department directed them not to do or say anything that makes it look like Oceania did anything that wasn’t within their contractual rights. Any special perks or even verbal empathy might be given interpreted as an admission of “guilt.” 

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Linda Deenen said:

Not really fair to those people who paid full

price for Pv now is it?

Ok?

 

Just like with any other form of travel, extra inventory will be sold at a discount.

 

In part, you paid for the guarantee of the room you wanted.

 

I didn't but got lucky that this cruise is empty and space is available. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Welcome to Cruise Critic
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...