Interesting addition to those sailing on Rhapsody in early 2024

13 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Got to believe there aren't many American's from the states reserving those cruises. Hope Royal knows what they are doing placing that ship there.

Agreed!
I just hope Royal doesn’t cancel this cruise last minute. Still lots of staterooms available in each category on our sailing. 

Edited by son3cruisers

17 hours ago, son3cruisers said:

Agreed!
I just hope Royal doesn’t cancel this cruise last minute. Still lots of staterooms available in each category on our sailing. 

I have been thinking the same thing. Can I ask what date you are on? I am on February 25-March 2. Does anyone know of Royal doing a last minute cancelations on a cruise that hasn't sold well?

On 10/20/2023 at 8:42 PM, son3cruisers said:

Just took a look at some shore excursion for our March “ enhanced “ sailing and noticed this :

IMG_4354.jpeg

Saw the same thing on my February 25-March2 cruise. 

4 hours ago, PugM0m said:

I have been thinking the same thing. Can I ask what date you are on? I am on February 25-March 2. Does anyone know of Royal doing a last minute cancelations on a cruise that hasn't sold well?

We are March 9th.

And I haven't heard of too many being cancelled last minute, but this was also an unexpected itinerary change, like a completely different sailing so who knows anymore. 

This is a page from the operating manual of the Grandeur 2012 when she sailed out of Colon on 7-day sailings. We were on one of those sailings (called "Spanish immersion cruise"). There were very few Americans on board (think 25-30). All the announcements were in Spanish first and then English. We have such great memories of the people we met on board ... even though we spoke no Spanish (beyond "No espanol"). I hope they continue those sailings. I'd love to do it again.

They had trouble filling up the ship, which is why they discontinued those sailings, but we scored a great deal on a Grand Suite due to the price drops to fill them.

Special note for those doing shared table dining: Be sure to contact dining reservations prior to the cruise to request a table with English-speaking guests.

Edited by emeraldcity
  • Like 2

On 10/20/2023 at 8:42 PM, son3cruisers said:

Just took a look at some shore excursion for our March “ enhanced “ sailing and noticed this :

IMG_4354.jpeg

Leaves plenty of time to download Babble and learn Spanish. They say 3 weeks to be conversational. 

But we have been on many Spanish dominated cruises and never had any problem. Listen to the English version of announcements and ignore the rest. Smile and be kind.

I can't figure out why anyone from Canada or the US would of kept their booking after the change to Southern Caribbean. Colon is a port that looks like it has been bombed. Structures are literally just jagged concrete shells of their former self. Not surprised these sailings are underbooked.  Panama government  is encouraging residents to move from Colon so they can redevelop the area.

Might be good if you want to sail a ship that is not close to capacity, but not worth the added airfare to sail from Colon for this perk. Picture of Colon from our March cruise on Celebrity Constellation on a bus to our Panama Canal cruise excursion. Rhapsody deserves a better port to depart from. It is a convenient port to visit for a Panama Canal tour, but is not a place I would fly into to take a cruise. 

PXL_20230402_141256366.jpg

Edited by coaster
  • Like 1

On 10/22/2023 at 6:55 PM, son3cruisers said:

We are March 9th.

And I haven't heard of too many being cancelled last minute, but this was also an unexpected itinerary change, like a completely different sailing so who knows anymore. 

I like cheap, but the lower prices on Rhapsody has to offset higher airfare into Colon instead of Florida departures that go to the same places without the shock of Colon's decrepit condition. Ok if you factor all of this and it works in your favor.

Edited by coaster
  • Like 1

On 10/22/2023 at 6:55 PM, son3cruisers said:

We are March 9th.

Why did you not cancel and move on after the extreme change in ports? Royal offered the option to cancel without penalty once the change was announced. Just curious....  Colon is the most dismal town we have been to in over 30 cruises.

Edited by coaster

Don't focus on Colon. Focus on Panama City. We flew into Panama City and had a very enjoyable stay in a boutique hotel. The morning of departure, we booked a private transfer to the port that included a stop at the Visitor Center at the Miraflores Locks.

Frankly, it's a shame that cruises that go through the Panama Canal don't factor an overnight in Panama City into the itinerary. Those who have been there might recognize the condo building in my avatar. 🙂

• Like 1

3 hours ago, emeraldcity said:

Don't focus on Colon. Focus on Panama City. We flew into Panama City and had a very enjoyable stay in a boutique hotel. The morning of departure, we booked a private transfer to the port that included a stop at the Visitor Center at the Miraflores Locks.

Frankly, it's a shame that cruises that go through the Panama Canal don't factor an overnight in Panama City into the itinerary. Those who have been there might recognize the condo building in my avatar. 🙂

We also enjoyed PC. Took a very inexpensive Royal cruise Baltimore to PC a few years back. Spent a few days, toured the canal and flew home. Lots of Spanish speaking guests but enjoyed the entire experience. 

• Like 1