Le Laperouse - Onboard now

Pudgesmom

We have just finished Day 1 on our 14 day cruise from Bali to Cairns, Australia on Le Laperouse. The ship is fully chartered by Abercrombie and Kent.

I won’t be doing an onboard travelogue. However, if someone has a question about the ship, let me know and I’ll try to find an answer. I’ve learned quite a bit here on Cruise Critic about Ponant and will gladly share info with others. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hubby & I are seriously looking at this itinerary, so very keen to hear what you think of the itinerary. Last month we were on this ship doing the Kimberly, we could not fault anything about our trip, it was outstanding! Ponant, in our opinion was the best line we have been on, we have cruised with Princess & Celebrity. We are booked on Oceania for early 2025. Enjoy your cruise on this wonderful ship. Vicki. 😀

We spent two nights in Komodo National Park. Arrived in the afternoon, and many went out for a snorkel or scuba dive. Next morning zodiac trips to walk on shore to see the dragons. Trips were of different lengths. I took the shortest and saw two, my husband the longer 3 hour and also saw 2. 

Late morning the ship repositioned for scuba, snorkel or beach break. This snorkel was truly unbelievable.

Crews on the Zodiacs, most of whom are A and K employees, are uniformly excellent.  

several lectures per day, anthropologist, geologists, ornithologist among others. All excellent and also A and K

We are in deck 4, all basic cabins are

the same size, deck 3 balconies have a solid lower wall on the balcony. 

There are 8-10 two tops in each restaurant. When we have wanted one, no problem. However we are only half full. On our

cruise people are very open to sharing tables. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Our room after dinner, an afternoon cocktail by the pool and a presentation in the theater.

The blue eye lounge was open last night ; we were unable to go, but they are offering some afternoon hours tomorrow. 

Today we saw a Pygmy blue whale - huge despite the name! The captain actually did a U-turn for us. It surfaced every 10 minutes for 4 different sightings.

I was in the pool this afternoon and a staff member turned on the counter current. I had a fantastic workout. However, next time I’ll wear mask or goggles as current blew hair into my face while free styling. It’s possible to swim more to the center for more resistance and a bit to the side for less, depending on your swim speed.

Edited by Pudgesmom
  • Like 1

What are the dining choices at night? Is there another dining option other than the main dining room ie a buffet al fresco? Our cruise from Cairns to Brisbane will be warm so love the idea of dining outside some nights. 

There are just the two restaurants. The main dining room can hold the entire ship, they also have a few tables outside. 

The buffet offers a variety of items for self selection. Mains are ordered at the buffet and delivered to your table. 

Room service has a limited menu, but offers the main dining room menu at dinner. You could eat outside on your balcony.

Thanks for the updates, and it sounds wonderful! We are on a trip to Central America soon, with lots of snorkeling opportunities. Have you gotten into zodiacs and gone to snorkel, or just been able to do it right off of the ship? 

10 hours ago, Pudgesmom said:

There are just the two restaurants. The main dining room can hold the entire ship, they also have a few tables outside. 

The buffet offers a variety of items for self selection. Mains are ordered at the buffet and delivered to your table. 

Room service has a limited menu, but offers the main dining room menu at dinner. You could eat outside on your balcony.

Thank you. Sounds great. I presume that both restaurants are open at night. Do they open at the same time .. 7 pm? 

We have snorkeled 3 times with two more planned for today. All of the snorkeling has been done off the Zodiacs. One time it was also possible to walk in from the shore for snorkeling.

I’m sure the ship is like our many Windstar water platforms. The ship cannot drive into the shallow reef but parks nearby in deeper water. So far the water platform has not been offered as the the zodiacs are busy shuttling people back and forth. There would be nothing to see at this depth. 

Restaurants- We have a daily recap and interesting info session in the theater for about an hour each evening before dinner.(with cocktails!) Both restaurants have opened each night at 7:30 and closed at 9. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, Pudgesmom said:

We have snorkeled 3 times with two more planned for today. All of the snorkeling has been done off the Zodiacs. One time it was also possible to walk in from the shore for snorkeling.

I’m sure the ship is like our many Windstar water platforms. The ship cannot drive into the shallow reef but parks nearby in deeper water. So far the water platform has not been offered as the the zodiacs are busy shuttling people back and forth. There would be nothing to see at this depth. 

Of course that makes sense! Since we have only been on one other cruise - also an expedition-type cruise - I was trying to get a sense of what the schedule is like. In the Galapagos there were activities starting sometimes at 7 and 8 am and then again after lunch. Is the schedule like that for you? Do you get a briefing in the night before that lets you know the schedule for the next day? Thanks again!

Yes - your previous experience sounds quite a bit like this one. Every evening we have a briefing describing the next day’s planned schedule. 

Most days have had a start time around 8:30 am. We arrive earlier, zodiacs go out to scout snorkel and dive sites, and they set those sites up for our arrival. Often the ship moves during lunch to another site. 

Today the highlight on stop 2 was a floating beach bar around 4 pm.

Tomorrow will be different. We arrive very early, zodiacs will leave for our first tour onboard them at 7 am. Breakfast times are adjusted.

5 hours ago, Pudgesmom said:

Yes - your previous experience sounds quite a bit like this one. Every evening we have a briefing describing the next day’s planned schedule. 

Most days have had a start time around 8:30 am. We arrive earlier, zodiacs go out to scout snorkel and dive sites, and they set those sites up for our arrival. Often the ship moves during lunch to another site. 

Today the highlight on stop 2 was a floating beach bar around 4 pm.

Tomorrow will be different. We arrive very early, zodiacs will leave for our first tour onboard them at 7 am. Breakfast times are adjusted.

Ok amazing! So not a ton of down time! Now I am ready to go on your trip next!