Driving to Port Canaveral

bgoff60

We boarded Indy yesterday. Arrived at the port around 12:15 and they had the garage closed. They told us it would open in another hour. Had everyone park  in the surface lots. Short walk but hope it’s not raining when we get back on Friday. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, bgoff60 said:

We are Diamond C&A and will be staying in a Junior Suite.  Shold we drop off our luggage at Terminal 5 and THEN park or park and walk WITH our luggage (hopefully level 2)?

FYI, your crown and anchor designation, and the fact that you are in a junior suite, has no bearing on how, when or where you park your car.  

Most people drop off their luggage, then park their car. 

if you park above level two, it’s a simple elevator ride down to level two and the walkway to the terminal. 
m

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ozzie26 said:

We boarded Indy yesterday. Arrived at the port around 12:15 and they had the garage closed. They told us it would open in another hour. Had everyone park  in the surface lots. Short walk but hope it’s not raining when we get back on Friday. 

@Ozzie26 That's odd. I assumed they would fill the garage first then move on to the surface lots.

I'm boarding Allure tomorrow while everyone from your sailing and the current Wonder sailing will already have parked (good times, I know). How full were the surface lots when you were there?

I also thought it was odd. Never had that happen before. Surface lots still had room but lots of cars behind us still coming in. I never looked back after boarding, got lost in my cruise trance. I think now they may have been saving some of the garage for the Allure.🤷🏻‍♀️

13 minutes ago, Ozzie26 said:

I also thought it was odd. Never had that happen before. Surface lots still had room but lots of cars behind us still coming in. I never looked back after boarding, got lost in my cruise trance. I think now they may have been saving some of the garage for the Allure.🤷🏻‍♀️

Thanks for the info. We normally get there early and of course there are normally only 2 ships sharing Terminal 1 with one of them having just disembarked so parking has always been a breeze (and in the garage). This is a unique situation and unfortunately this is the one time we won't be there until noon or so. I don't care where I park as long as there's a spot somewhere.

Edited by OCSC Mike

3 hours ago, Ozzie26 said:

This has me concerned for our upcoming Wonder sailing. We were planning on getting there early for our 10:30 check in so we could get a garage spot before they filled up, but now I'm worried.

12 minutes ago, jbaysingar said:

This has me concerned for our upcoming Wonder sailing. We were planning on getting there early for our 10:30 check in so we could get a garage spot before they filled up, but now I'm worried.

I wouldn't be concerned. If anyone from Indy parked there, they will be gone and their spots left open as she's leaving PC for Miami after the current cruise on Friday. And everyone parked there who is on Wonder right now will have just left and opened up tons of spots.

56 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

Thanks for the info. We normally get there early and of course there are normally only 2 ships sharing Terminal 1 with one of them having just disembarked so parking has always been a breeze (and in the garage). This is a unique situation and unfortunately this is the one time we won't be there until noon or so. I don't care where I park as long as there's a spot somewhere.

It sounds like the Independence cruisers were sent to open lots so spaces for Allure cruisers would be available in the garage.  The port authority probably thought that was better in the long term since Allure is replacing Indy.

8 minutes ago, jbaysingar said:

The Allure to Indy change should not impact you substantially if you are arriving before 10:30.  I’m sailing Wonder Nov 5 and I am not worried.  There are plenty of people on the current sailing of Wonder parked in the garage.  They will pull out of the garage that morning, leaving open spaces for you and I.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Starry Eyes said:

It sounds like the Independence cruisers were sent to open lots so spaces for Allure cruisers would be available in the garage.  The port authority probably thought that was better in the long term since Allure is replacing Indy.

That seems reasonable. Like I said, I don't care where I park as long as it's somewhere.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

That seems reasonable. Like I said, I don't care where I park as long as it's somewhere.

I know you are flexible.  The port authority may feel there are fewer accidents and fewer complaints if vehicles from Wonder are interspersed with those from Allure rather than Wonder having most of the spots in lower part of the ramp and Allure most of the upper spots.  The latter might tend to have happened current Indy cruiser were parked in the ramp and left on 10/27.  Wonder 10/29 cruisers would have been the next embarkation.  Just a guess.

38 minutes ago, Starry Eyes said:

I know you are flexible.  The port authority may feel there are fewer accidents and fewer complaints if vehicles from Wonder are interspersed with those from Allure rather than Wonder having most of the spots in lower part of the ramp and Allure most of the upper spots.  The latter might tend to have happened current Indy cruiser were parked in the ramp and left on 10/27.  Wonder 10/29 cruisers would have been the next embarkation.  Just a guess.

You've spent way more time thinking about the parking situation than I have. Again that makes sense.

Every other cruise I've taken has been "show up around 10am and take one of the many open garage spots on level two" and I like routine so I just don't want to deal with any issues when I get there... hence my flexibility as far as not caring as long as I can park. I just want to board and get my first drink and bite of food, asap, lol.

1 minute ago, OCSC Mike said:

You've spent way more time thinking about the parking situation than I have. Again that makes sense.

Every other cruise I've taken has been "show up around 10am and take one of the many open garage spots on level two" and I like routine so I just don't want to deal with any issues when I get there... hence my flexibility as far as not caring as long as I can park. I just want to board and get my first drink and bite of food, asap, lol.

LOL, Ozzie26’s post did make me think about why they directed him and other Indy cruisers yesterday to a surface lot.  The port authority must want the first Allure cruisers to have a shot at some decent spots in the T1 garage.  Those first Allure cruisers can then hand off the spots to future Allure cruisers.  
Another possible reason: As they charge for both day of arrival and departure, the Port Authority makes a bit more money off the people parking for short cruises than for longer cruises.  They should try to keep them happy if they can.

2 hours ago, Starry Eyes said:

The Allure to Indy change should not impact you substantially if you are arriving before 10:30.  I’m sailing Wonder Nov 5 and I am not worried.  There are plenty of people on the current sailing of Wonder parked in the garage.  They will pull out of the garage that morning, leaving open spaces for you and I.

Wellllll....most of them anyway.  Not me!  😄 

"Sea" you on board!  😉 

Edited by island lady

FYI, there was tons of parking at Terminal 1 for Allure yesterday, even at noon. Since they made some Indy passengers park in the surface lots Monday, people who got there early parked at the top of the garage (not sure if it was only the top level).

They made us go through the loop in the garage for some unknown reason then we came back out & parked in the new lot right next to the garage. It’s so close to the porters & terminal entrance it didn’t take much longer (if any) than parking on level 2 & waiting for the elevator can. It’s outdoors, of course, but given the situation this week, it went very smoothly & tells me having 2 Oasis class ships there won’t be a problem (or Star & an Oasis class when we get to that point).

12 hours ago, Knights on the Beach said:

Wouldn't it be easier (and cheaper) for you to Uber to the port? Especially since you're doing a B2B. It's one of our favorite perks of living in Cape Canaveral. 😊

Shhhh...it's a secret.  It's two for the price of one at Port Canaveral.  😉

Well, only at T#1...they charge as you leave at both T#6, and T#5.   

• Like 1

4 hours ago, OCSC Mike said:

FYI, there was tons of parking at Terminal 1 for Allure yesterday, even at noon. Since they made some Indy passengers park in the surface lots Monday, people who got there early parked at the top of the garage (not sure if it was only the top level).

They made us go through the loop in the garage for some unknown reason then we came back out & parked in the new lot right next to the garage. It’s so close to the porters & terminal entrance it didn’t take much longer (if any) than parking on level 2 & waiting for the elevator can. It’s outdoors, of course, but given the situation this week, it went very smoothly & tells me having 2 Oasis class ships there won’t be a problem (or Star & an Oasis class when we get to that point).

Happy it worked out for you Mike!  🙂   We once had to park on the surface lot to the west of the garage.  It indeed was convenient, though the birds like my little SUV for target practice 😕...it was an easy roll to and from the terminal.  

We will be doing our usual arrival around 9:30 on Sunday for Wonder to drop bags early and hopefully score an inside garage space.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, island lady said:

We will be doing our usual arrival around 9:30 on Sunday for Wonder to drop bags early and hopefully score an inside garage space. 

I’d expect business as usual. You’ll take someone’s spot who just left.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

They’re free on the ship ya know. 🤣

LOL...not for me at 9:30 am on Sunday!!   Can't quite get up there yet!   😛

We do that just to waste time in style until check in.  😉  After Grills, we take a slow walk back to the SUV parked in the garage, grab our carry on bags, and check into the terminal with a happy grin on our faces.  😄 

• Like 1