Covid & Tripmate

Clay Clayton

Can anyone who had Tripmate insurance report on whether Tripmate covered Paxlovid if given by the Viking medical team?  Have convinced our local doc to give us a scrip to take on the WC but won't get it filled if the travel insurance will cover it if dispensed by the onboard doctor 

TIA

6 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

Can anyone who had Tripmate insurance report on whether Tripmate covered Paxlovid if given by the Viking medical team?  Have convinced our local doc to give us a scrip to take on the WC but won't get it filled if the travel insurance will cover it if dispensed by the onboard doctor 

TIA

I do not believe Paxlovid is carried on board.  When I got Covid on the WC, it wasn’t offered as treatment, and no one I knew who was in Covid jail received it either.  I do know a few who brought it on board with them.  
All that was offered by the doctor onboard was OTC stuff for the symptoms.  Since I was well stocked with cold meds, I turned them down as another visit (for a cold) resulted in a $25 charge for cough drops…..for the bag I left on the counter at home and forgot to pack!  

I would get it filled before boarding.

Edited by Mich3554
  • Like 1

I agree with Michelle & have seen others confirm that Viking does not offer or carry Paxlovid onboard. We have tried to get our docs (Kaiser) to give us a prescription to bring Paxlovid with us on international travel and they have said Kaiser won’t let them. I’m going to ask again when I consult with the travel nurse for our Jan. Egypt cruise and see if they will allow it. I don’t know if any insurance would cover the cost if you don’t already have coverage through your own insurance.

28 minutes ago, Mich3554 said:

I do not believe Paxlovid is carried on board.  When I got Covid on the WC, it wasn’t offered as treatment, and no one I knew who was in Covid jail received it either.  I do know a few who brought it on board with them.  
All that was offered by the doctor onboard was OTC stuff for the symptoms.  Since I was well stocked with cold meds, I turned them down as another visit (for a cold) resulted in a $25 charge for cough drops…..for the bag I left on the counter at home and forgot to pack!  

I would get it filled before boarding.

18 minutes ago, LindaS272 said:

I agree with Michelle & have seen others confirm that Viking does not offer or carry Paxlovid onboard. We have tried to get our docs (Kaiser) to give us a prescription to bring Paxlovid with us on international travel and they have said Kaiser won’t let them. I’m going to ask again when I consult with the travel nurse for our Jan. Egypt cruise and see if they will allow it. I don’t know if any insurance would cover the cost if you don’t already have coverage through your own insurance.

I am pretty sure I saw someone on these boards report they had been prescribed it onboard and it cost $1,500.   But perhaps I am mistaken. 

3 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

I am pretty sure I saw someone on these boards report they had been prescribed it onboard and it cost $1,500.   But perhaps I am mistaken. 

I have never seen that—maybe on FB? But I have seen on CC pax report that Viking does not have Paxlovid. Worth an email to TellUs to see if they know….?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

When I told my doctor of my future trips abroad, he said the CDC(?) allows it to be prescribe now just in case.

It was covered without a copay at CVS due to my Part D coverage.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, MikeyB said:

When I told my doctor of my future trips abroad, he said the CDC(?) allows it to be prescribe now just in case.

It was covered without a copay at CVS due to my Part D coverage.

Same for us.  Our doctor gave us a script for Paxlovid as a just in case for our upcoming cruise.  Safeway filled it,  and it wa totally covered by our Medicare Part D coverage

• Like 1

We bring along antibiotics and Paxlovid just in case.  Years ago I got the flu on board a Celebrity ship and the doctor gave me Tamiflu.  My ship insurance covered the cost; had to file for reimbursement after we got home.  Does anyone know if Viking Ocean ships carry Tamiflu.  My husband and I get a flu shot every year, but I got the flu anyway.

• Like 1

Clay, When I was on my cruise in June. I brought Paxlovid  and  a bunch of COVID tests with me. May of the cruisers I met on board said they had self tests with them and would just self quaratine if they tested positive. 

I had COVID in Feb 2023 and had a script and got  Paxlovid, but did not end up taking it.  My neighbor , a nurse said it can work up to 5 days after you test positive. My symptoms were terrible headache, sinus dripping, tiredness but no cough. I was fine after three days. 

I would urge  you and Mike to get a script and take it with you just in case. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Know the health of your kidneys prior to considering Paxlovid.  I have kidney disease and while it is unlikely that I will succumb to it or ever need dialysis, I for one would never take that medication, but then I avoid most painkillers to preserve my kidney health.

As always, your mileage may vary 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, PasadenaDave said:

Know the health of your kidneys prior to considering Paxlovid.  I have kidney disease and while it is unlikely that I will succumb to it or ever need dialysis, I for one would never take that medication, but then I avoid most painkillers to preserve my kidney health.

As always, your mileage may vary 

Apparently must have affect on liver also since the Doctor said to stop taking lipator and not restart for a week or so after finishing the dosage. 

15 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

Apparently must have affect on liver also since the Doctor said to stop taking lipator and not restart for a week or so after finishing the dosage. 

Not necessarily a direct effect on the liver, Clay. Many things impact on a given medication - you'd be aware that grapefruit or grapefruit juice should not be consumed with Lipitor. That's because the grapefruit inhibits enzymes that break down the Lipitor - and can result in too high an effective Lipitor dosage - which is what's bad for the liver.

Of course, there are other things that affect the liver - but I'm easily giving up grapefruit, not them! 🍺🥌

• Like 2