Nonsensical Dress Code

ggo85

Below is my opinion. YMMV. 

Tomorrow, we’re in port.  I’m on an 11-hour ship’s tour, getting back to the ship at 7:30 pm. We don’t leave port until 11 pm. Dinner dress is informal. Seriously?  If it were casual, I could do a 15-minute freshen up and get to dinner before 8. Informal means completely different clothes, doing hair, makeup.  I don’t want to start dinner at 9 pm ever, let alone after a long, exhausting day of touring.  

Yes, I’m aware I can do Dine Around.  Not interested in the menu or eating dinner in my cabin.  And, no, I don’t want pizza. 

What I’d like is some common sense.  It’s as if SS is bound and determined to have as many informal nights as possible even when doing so is counterintuitive.  Fine on sea days.  Fine if port day ends at 4 or 5 pm. Not fine when port day ends at 11pm and tours are out late. It’s standing on principle just for the heck of it. 

In the end, it’s driving us away from what is o/w a lovely SS experience.  Which is ok with us.  

• Like 11

Just my opinion.

come back to the ship. Wash your face. Comb your hair. Forget about makeup.  Put on pants.  Decent shirt.  Go enjoy dinner wherever you want.  In my experience, there is a huge range of clothes that people wear to casual, informal, and formal.  And, in the end, it’s all less important than it sounds. 

• Like 13

It's such a shame that OP is unaware of optional dress codes on Informal nights.

On Informal nights, passengers may dress casual at the following restaurants - La Terrazza, Kaiseki, Seishin, and Silver Note.

Dress code is always casual in Hot Rocks and Spaccanapolli.

Just quit complaining.

You knew what dress codes were when you booked the cruise.

This is what makes Silversea different (better) than the competition.

Edited by Ravbo
  • Like 13

In fairness to the OP the complaint is not about the dress codes as such but the nights on which they are being applied. I have to say that in my 30+ years experience of cruising I would have expected the dress code to be casual on a night when the ship is in port or late leaving port - irrespective of cruise line.

Edited by david63
  • Like 14

First, I didn’t know that casual dress was allowed on informal nights in LaTerrazza, Silver Note and Kaiseki.  And this is after 3 SS cruises.  Where is this published?

Even so, you need reservations for all.  I didn’t know the dress code was informal until we boarded.  Our TA tried to find out prior to the cruise but was told it was up to the individual ship which nights are informal and which are casual.  Since I don’t know exactly when we’ll return to the ship (bus ride back is 2.5-3 hours) kind of hard to make reservations.   I don’t want to pay $40 pp for Kaiseki - not worth it based on prior experience. 

I’m not complaining about the dress code in general but rather which nights are chosen for informal vs. casual. And I don’t understand why they can’t publish which night is which in advance. 

• Like 2

As a final option OP could just order dinner in her* cabin, and eat dinner in a bathrobe.

Definitely (1) a first world problem (2) complaint made without really understanding the options.

*I guess it's her, but I do not want to exclude the possibility that he or they want to do makeup.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, ggo85 said:

Below is my opinion. YMMV. 

Tomorrow, we’re in port.  I’m on an 11-hour ship’s tour, getting back to the ship at 7:30 pm. We don’t leave port until 11 pm. Dinner dress is informal. Seriously?  If it were casual, I could do a 15-minute freshen up and get to dinner before 8. Informal means completely different clothes, doing hair, makeup.  I don’t want to start dinner at 9 pm ever, let alone after a long, exhausting day of touring.  

Yes, I’m aware I can do Dine Around.  Not interested in the menu or eating dinner in my cabin.  And, no, I don’t want pizza. 

What I’d like is some common sense.  It’s as if SS is bound and determined to have as many informal nights as possible even when doing so is counterintuitive.  Fine on sea days.  Fine if port day ends at 4 or 5 pm. Not fine when port day ends at 11pm and tours are out late. It’s standing on principle just for the heck of it. 

In the end, it’s driving us away from what is o/w a lovely SS experience.  Which is ok with us.  

Except ..... is everyone on the ship doing an 11 hour ship tour?  Yes, you are obviously!  However, that doesn't mean that the majority of the passengers on the ship will be doing the same.  You have other options.  This is really not a big deal!  And if you are enjoying the SS experience why would this be a deal breaker.  Seriously?

• Like 5

There are multiple tours that get back around 6 pm and we’re in port until 11.  Why can’t they just do casual when ship is in port and tours return after 5 and informal when ship is at sea or departs port late afternoon? The current policy does make SS less enjoyable to me.  Maybe it’s not the right line for us, though we do love much about it. 

As I said at the outset, this is my opinion and others can certainly have different ones.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ggo85 said:

There are multiple tours that get back around 6 pm and we’re in port until 11.  Why can’t they just do casual when ship is in port and tours return after 5 and informal when ship is at sea or departs port late afternoon? The current policy does make SS less enjoyable to me.  Maybe it’s not the right line for us, though we do love much about it. 

As I said at the outset, this is my opinion and others can certainly have different ones.  

So maybe, instead of venting here, talk to someone who could potentially change the dress code designation.  Giving up an enjoyable cruise line for one misplay (in your mind) seems like throwing the baby out with the bath water.

• Like 2

So you have two choices. 1, let this ruin it for you and go elsewhere, or 2, find a way to adapt and continue to enjoy the good things about Silversea. We hope that whichever choice you make, it's the right one for you.

We've managed to come home from an excursion at 8PM and be ready for a formal dinner in La Dame, before 8:30. And we weren't upset that the ship hadn't changed its dress code to accommodate our excursion being later than planned. Even though it was our anniversary... As you say, YMMV.

Edited by jpalbny
  • Like 7

This forum is a place for folks to state their opinion.  That’s what I did. I recognize that many won’t agree just as I don’t agree with every post that others make.  Telling me to “get over it” isn’t all that helpful as it’s my opinion.  I will mention it on my cruise review in the hope that SS will consider a different approach where appropriate. 

• Like 11

What would you like us to say? If our opinions differ from yours, is it OK for us to state them?

We've offered you plenty of constructive alternatives and ways to handle the dress code requirements. It seems like you just want people to agree with your opinion. 

You have choices. I hope you find one that works for you.

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, ggo85 said:

This forum is a place for folks to state their opinion.  That’s what I did. I recognize that many won’t agree just as I don’t agree with every post that others make.  Telling me to “get over it” isn’t all that helpful as it’s my opinion.  I will mention it on my cruise review in the hope that SS will consider a different approach where appropriate. 

I don't think anyone told you "to get over it"!   If you're looking for a reason to not sail Silversea again, and this is it,  then move on.  No harm,  no foul.  

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Stumblefoot said:

Well, this has been A LOT of fun.  

Now, what in the holy heck is YMMV?  Some sort of whacked out new Canadian airport code?  😁

It took off (pun intended ) on frequent flyer forums and stood for Your Miles May/Might Vary.

Meaning now is basically well that's my opinion.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

I’m definitely not a kid.  😀 Just back from the tour.  All on my bus are headed for pizza.  After 4 miles of walking in heat and humidity and 5 hours of bus ride (our choice), we all had the same view as we in our shorts and T-shirts walked past people in their coats and ties: We COULD get dressed for dinner but none of us wanted to.  

A couple of folks on the bus mentioned that it would be great to have more options tonight after a (needed) shower and quick change.  So, I’m at pizza with wet hair, no makeup, and very casual attire.  It’ll be fine even if not my preferred choice of food.  

It was a great tour BTW.  No regrets on that point.  

• Like 5

With the Spirit heading for the Persian Gulf on Sunday, the last thing on passengers minds is SS dress code. I’m joining in Dubai on 16th November assuming it reaches that area. If it does, considering I will be one of the few not cancelling, I will not be expecting to be chastised for not wearing a tie on formal night in Qatar. Especially if I’m wearing a abaya with kaffiyeh.

29 minutes ago, difranco said:

Especially if I’m wearing a abaya with kaffiyeh.

Being an Italian line, bet La Terrazza has some fabric you can use in a pinch. 😁 Or is that just a 'guy thing'? 😅

Edited by canderson
Working on my emoji skills.
  • Haha 2

45 minutes ago, difranco said:

With the Spirit heading for the Persian Gulf on Sunday, the last thing on passengers minds is SS dress code. I’m joining in Dubai on 16th November assuming it reaches that area. If it does, considering I will be one of the few not cancelling, I will not be expecting to be chastised for not wearing a tie on formal night in Qatar. Especially if I’m wearing a abaya with kaffiyeh.

Check your my activities on my.silversea.com.  They just removed Doha and replaced it with an overnight in Dubai and a sea day.  No emails received yet.  

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, applefan75 said:

Check your my activities on my.silversea.com.  They just removed Doha and replaced it with an overnight in Dubai and a sea day.  No emails received yet.  

And no change to the overall Silversea website, which still shows Doha as a port stop for the 16th and 25th sailings.