Passenger Organized Wine Gatherings

guy44134

We are sailing on Sky Princess transatlantic in March 2024. Is it permitted for interested passengers to have a wine gathering in a public area using bottles brought aboard for personal consumption? I've seen this done on a Celebrity cruise earlier this year, where participants were asked to bring a bottle of wine from their local area to share with others. The ship provided glasses and cork screws and let us gather in one of the lounges (their version of Vines actually). It was great fun. Would something like this be allowed on Princess? Has anyone seen this done on a Princess ship? Thank you.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, guy44134 said:
We are sailing on Sky Princess transatlantic in March 2024. Is it permitted for interested passengers to have a wine gathering in a public area using bottles brought aboard for personal consumption? I've seen this done on a Celebrity cruise earlier this year, where participants were asked to bring a bottle of wine from their local area to share with others. The ship provided glasses and cork screws and let us gather in one of the lounges (their version of Vines actually). It was great fun. Would something like this be allowed on Princess? Has anyone seen this done on a Princess ship? Thank you.

Great idea. Don’t know if it would be permissible, but I’d be all for it!

🍷 

I was always of the assumption that wine brought onboard (1 bottle per adult):was for cabin use only except for bottles that have corkage paid.  Those bottles can be taken to the MDR, but I don’t know if sharing in a public place is allowed,  Good question, and I’m sure someone will chime in with the correct answer for you.  Cheers!

Edited by Lady Arwen
  • Like 1

Princess' rule is that each adult is allowed 1 x 750ml bottle of wine to be carried on board without a fee use in one's cabin. Additional bottles can be carried on board, are subject to a $20 corkage fee on boarding and are marked. If corkage free bottles are used in a public area they are subject to the corkage fee. I would think that if you request glasses for corkage free bottles  from Princess then that would cause the $20 corkage fee for each bottle. However, if the corkage has already been paid and bottles are marked then I don't see any fee issue, other than where, how to get the glasses and such. 

If all the participants brought their wine to a designated person's cabin and this occurred there, I don't see this being a problem.  Otherwise, I've never seen a privately organized wine tasting in a public space on Princess.  Per the instructions on the luggage tags, wine/champagne is limited to one per person and is supposed to be consumed in the room.  Anything else is subject to corkage.  Maybe if everyone was willing to pay the corkage, something like this would be permitted in a public space?

Screenshot 2023-10-28 141840.jpg