Are Grgich Hills wines gone?

steve3008

15 hours ago, zitsky said:

Schramsberg the best compared to Napa or others?  I have a bottle of Blanc de blanc 2019 at a price of only $37.

Yes, in our opinion it is the best. We also enjoy Heath sparkling which is a Texas Hill Country winery but to my knowledge they do not distribute to restaurants or retail, we are wine club members of them as well. Like food, its subjective what people like. If you try the Schramsberg will be interested in what you think. 

2 hours ago, JDPCruisers said:

Yes, in our opinion it is the best. We also enjoy Heath sparkling which is a Texas Hill Country winery but to my knowledge they do not distribute to restaurants or retail, we are wine club members of them as well. Like food, its subjective what people like. If you try the Schramsberg will be interested in what you think. 

Texas?  No way!  New Mexico baby!

2 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Texas?  No way!  New Mexico baby!

LOL,I know as you wouldn't think it, but the Hill Country wines have really improved over the years. 5-10 years ago, I wouldn't touch them after having had some bad ones. But the winemakers have obviously learned a lot about the land, weather, vines, etc. Give Grape Creek and Heath sparkling (part of Grape Creek) a try if you have an opportunity. I've had Gruet sparkling and have no issues with it. Haven't tried in any others, yet. Any recommendations?

2 hours ago, JDPCruisers said:

LOL,I know as you wouldn't think it, but the Hill Country wines have really improved over the years. 5-10 years ago, I wouldn't touch them after having had some bad ones. But the winemakers have obviously learned a lot about the land, weather, vines, etc. Give Grape Creek and Heath sparkling (part of Grape Creek) a try if you have an opportunity. I've had Gruet sparkling and have no issues with it. Haven't tried in any others, yet. Any recommendations?

I buy the basic cheap Gruet.  Only once could I not get the cork out the first time!

There are other producers in New Mexico but I can’t think of names right away.

On 10/29/2023 at 4:10 PM, steve3008 said:

Most of what I prefer are Sonoma or Napa Chardonnays. Flora springs, stags leap, Wente, grgrich, Ferrari-carano. The Costco Sonoma is not bad.  Cabs  i like are Hall, Duckhorn, Robert Mondavi, flora springs.  Some are more consistent than others. Price isn’t an indicator of quality that’s subjective. If a wine is outstanding though would you sell it for 5$ or 50$? Granted Some of its marketing. 

Do you have any idea what the charge would be for Mondavi Cab by the bottle?  Can't find bottle prices on any X listing.

2 minutes ago, Oceangoer2 said:

Do you have any idea what the charge would be for Mondavi Cab by the bottle?  Can't find bottle prices on any X listing.

Do you mean the Napa or Oakville, not the low end stuff?

4 hours ago, JDPCruisers said:

Ever had any wines from Salado Winery?

1 hour ago, Whinenowine said:

Ever had any wines from Salado Winery?

Can't say that I have. Having a hard time imagining wines from that part of Texas. 

My only experience with anything Salado is Salado Creek. Which ran through Fort Sam Houston and had a nasty habit of flooding and cutting off the main post from Brooke Army Medical Center. And the town of Salado was apparently incorporated to try to manage flooding on the creek way north of San Antonio!

5 minutes ago, Oceangoer2 said:

Pick your poison...😉

Never tried Oakville  but...there's this cheap stuff at $299 per bottle:

PNV Robert Mondavi Winery Cabernet Monastery Block ToKalon Vineyard, 2016
750ml

:

12322323431454.webp.b774cd8dee8e6d8dc16dfebb698b40cd.webp

and then there is this at $6.99 a box:

17261128187934.webp.dcdb379c3f80089e9565f5d7946978f8.webp

Poor man's Opus One? To Kalon is the vineyard that sources Opus. It's not that impressive when you drive by it, but everyone says it's magical...

Oh, and To Kalon is in Oakville. The Oakville Cabernet Sauvignon could contain grapes from To Kalon. And then there's Woodbridge...

BTW, I didn't go through every venue on every ship, but I don't see any Mondavi Cabernet Sauvignon on Celebrity. I would think it's there somewhere, but I couldn't find it.

1 hour ago, Oceangoer2 said:

Pick your poison...😉

Never tried Oakville  but...there's this cheap stuff at $299 per bottle:

PNV Robert Mondavi Winery Cabernet Monastery Block ToKalon Vineyard, 2016
750ml

:

12322323431454.webp.b774cd8dee8e6d8dc16dfebb698b40cd.webp

and then there is this at $6.99 a box:

17261128187934.webp.dcdb379c3f80089e9565f5d7946978f8.webp

As if I would ever drink the 2016???  Sniff sniff.  Besides, I’m all out of pate.

• Haha 1