Using a walker on Princess

trbarton

I recently had a back injury, my next cruise is on December 9, 2023, & if I need to have it with me how do I arrange, if necessary, going through security with any carryon items & boarding the ship?  

Once they start boarding the ship will I be allowed to go right to my stateroom?

If you’ve had this experience what did you/they do?

Thanks!

Tom😀

• Like 1

Based on your location, I assume you will be sailing from Pier 27 in SF.

I would recommend you take advantage of wheelchair assist to get through security. You will see assist folks at the curb with blue vests and a wheelchair logo on the back. I realize you're not confined to a wheelchair but that's not what this service is for. It is for folks with limited mobility. They will wheel you through the process and onto the ship.

There will be no special access to your stateroom. They open for you when they open for all. Usually before 1 PM.

If you're not sailing out of SF, I'm sure the shoreside services are very similar elsewhere.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Outerdog said:

Based on your location, I assume you will be sailing from Pier 27 in SF.

I would recommend you take advantage of wheelchair assist to get through security. You will see assist folks at the curb with blue vests and a wheelchair logo on the back. I realize you're not confined to a wheelchair but that's not what this service is for. It is for folks with limited mobility. They will wheel you through the process and onto the ship.

There will be no special access to your stateroom. They open for you when they open for all. Usually before 1 PM.

If you're not sailing out of SF, I'm sure the shoreside services are very similar elsewhere.

Thanks for the tip. That’s really helpful since I’ll also have luggage for check-in. Hopefully they will see me when I arrive in my Uber.

Thanks again!

Tom😀

Edited by trbarton
  • Like 2

Just went through a similar scenario in Los Angeles/San Pedro this month with an ankle injury.

Princess personnel spotted me with my cane immediately and showed me where to go for special assistance.  Porters took my transport chair which thankfully I ended up not needing.  You will obviously be able to bypass escalators and use elevator during boarding process. 

Happy Sailing!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

One thing to note about using a walker on the ship...when the cleaning carts are in the hallway it can be difficult to fit through with the walker...the stewards will move them if they are there but sometimes they are not right there ...I spent an entire Panama canal cruise moving carts for my sister to get around so we bought a rollator type folding walker with a seat (it folds so the sides come together & it gets narrower but still provides support if she needs it, she also has a seat available if she needs to sit while waiting in line etc.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, travelin.sisters said:

One thing to note about using a walker on the ship...when the cleaning carts are in the hallway it can be difficult to fit through with the walker...the stewards will move them if they are there but sometimes they are not right there ...I spent an entire Panama canal cruise moving carts for my sister to get around so we bought a rollator type folding walker with a seat (it folds so the sides come together & it gets narrower but still provides support if she needs it, she also has a seat available if she needs to sit while waiting in line etc.

Thanks. I have a small walker, if I still need it then, that I can easily fold up to get by/through anything. 

Tom😎

• Like 2

5 hours ago, travelin.sisters said:

hoping your recovery goes really well & you only bring it incase you get tired but don't need it 

Thanks…It’s only for stability. I’m going to ask & hopefully I’ll only bring a cane just in case I need if. 

Thanks again for your suggestions. 

Tom😀

• Like 2

I've used an e-scooter aboard ship (it was Celebrity, not Princess) and the stewards were very helpful in getting things out of the way if I needed to get by.  If they were in a cabin or otherwise didn't notice me, a quick "Hello" (unless they were vacuuming!) got their attention.  I admit, I didn't encounter many as our cabins were near the elevators (I try to request an accessible one as I usually have a scooter or rollator) and that seems to be where they all are - probably for this reason.

The port will provide wheel chair assistance from curbside (if you are lucky...otherwise a very long walk from street to terminal at San Francisco).  There may be a wait.  One "driver" from check in through security (port agent).  Another "driver" from the waiting lounge to get you onboard (Princess crew).

Definitely bring a cane.  I haven't seen so many walkers as I have seen more "rollators". There are many different versions/some very compact/some triangular.  

Hope you have a cabin more central on the ship so that you won't have much traveling to do.  A ship is the best place to recover from surgery.  Better than a rehab facility!

I’ll be on a cruise from Ft Lauderdale so it will be interesting. At least if you’re wheel chair you can bypass the line. Hopefully I’ll not need a walker very soon & will just have a cane but having a wheel chair so I don’t have to carry anything heavy will be nice. 

Tom😀

4 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

The port will provide wheel chair assistance from curbside (if you are lucky...otherwise a very long walk from street to terminal at San Francisco).  There may be a wait.  One "driver" from check in through security (port agent).  Another "driver" from the waiting lounge to get you onboard (Princess crew).

Definitely bring a cane.  I haven't seen so many walkers as I have seen more "rollators". There are many different versions/some very compact/some triangular.  

Hope you have a cabin more central on the ship so that you won't have much traveling to do.  A ship is the best place to recover from surgery.  Better than a rehab facility!

I was lucky & just hurt my back so no surgery. I do have a back brace that I’ve been told to use as long as I have back pain. 

Where I live & the stairs to get to my unit I’ve been advised by medical people to not attempt to take something like that Up or Down my stairs as it would be a safety hazard so that’s a definite NO for me. 

Tom😀

Edited by trbarton