R Class Ships

laurietope

My sister and I have cruised with Oceania a few times but have only been on Riviera and Marina.  We are deciding between a 2025 cruise that would include the Canary Islands on Marina vs one that goes up into the Northern Fjords on Sirena. I’m curious if there was anything that surprised you all in going from the O class ships to the R class ships or anything that you didn’t like?  Thanks so much!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, laurietope said:

My sister and I have cruised with Oceania a few times but have only been on Riviera and Marina.  We are deciding between a 2025 cruise that would include the Canary Islands on Marina vs one that goes up into the Northern Fjords on Sirena. I’m curious if there was anything that surprised you all in going from the O class ships to the R class ships or anything that you didn’t like?  Thanks so much!

Sailed in PH on Sirena in 2020 it was excellent and had bern recently redone

• Like 2

There are only 2 specialty restaurants instead of 4, Baristas is much smaller and in the area outside of the GDR,  the bathrooms in the verandah, outside and inside rooms are much smaller but it has the most beautiful library, a very cozy atmosphere and you are sailing with 1/2 the number of people so you get to know fellow passengers and crew much easier.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, basor said:

There are only 2 specialty restaurants instead of 4, Baristas is much smaller and in the area outside of the GDR,  the bathrooms in the verandah, outside and inside rooms are much smaller but it has the most beautiful library, a very cozy atmosphere and you are sailing with 1/2 the number of people so you get to know fellow passengers and crew much easier.

Agreed i have been on R ships 3 times 2 with O 1 with Azamara 1 with originak Renaissance the ships are intimate and I seriously suggest a PH because it is significantly larger with more service.  It has alsi been redone

• Like 2

Sirena has Red Ginger and an amalgamation of Polo Grill and Toscana so in reality 3 specialities. Cabins under PH grade have very small bathrooms/shower, PH and above are fine. Sirena is my fave of the three Oceania ships I have been on (Marina, Riviera and Sirena). Do your due diligence regarding cabin size. I prefer the smaller ship size of R class. 

I did and chose to cruise in a PH, if itineraries were identical and cost was not a consideration I would choose R class in a PH.

• Like 3

We sailed on the Regatta in PH. Regular veranda cabins are really small and the bathrooms are tiny. Slightly below our comfort level, but manageable. We prefer the O ships, but would sail on the R ship given the right itinerary and price.

• Like 1

I have not been on an 'O'-class ship, but I understand they have a proscenium stage and fixed, theater-type seating in their -uhm- theater.  The 'R'-class ships are more cabaret-style, with a unraised stage mostly surrounded by the audience in movable armchairs around the edge.  I even flinched once when a dancer did a twirl.  😉

Yeah, the 'R-'class, non-suite showers (and commodes) are cramped, but ...manageable.

• Like 1

I have a large behind and the rest of me is on a scale to support it and i know I wouldn’t cope in the R non suite shower. 

I am definitely plus sized for clothing, if you need a scale.

PH bathroom I didn’t feel was cramped or small.

O class bathroom non suite is fine.

As my fellow plus sized brethren will attest my guide for life in most situations is:

”Will my bum fit in this” 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Thanks for all the info everyone!  The Regatta sailing is slightly longer than the Marina sailing and thus a bit more expensive and we were thinking about moving down in room category to offset the cost.  I’ve stayed in an inside stateroom on Riviera and it was manageable but I think we were spoiled that our last cruise was in a penthouse on Marina.  Lots to think about.  I love to hear everyone’s experiences!  I’m leaning towards the Marina cruise just because I might prefer a Norwegian fjord cruise that goes further north in the spring or fall to have a chance to glimpse the northern lights.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, laurietope said:

Thanks for all the info everyone!  The Regatta sailing is slightly longer than the Marina sailing and thus a bit more expensive and we were thinking about moving down in room category to offset the cost.  I’ve stayed in an inside stateroom on Riviera and it was manageable but I think we were spoiled that our last cruise was in a penthouse on Marina.  Lots to think about.  I love to hear everyone’s experiences!  I’m leaning towards the Marina cruise just because I might prefer a Norwegian fjord cruise that goes further north in the spring or fall to have a chance to glimpse the northern lights.  

Having sailed on both the R's and O's, the O's have it.  It would have to be an extraordinary itinerary to get me on an R class ship again.  O's win on staterooms, public spaces, and dining options for me. 

Best of luck with whichever you choose.

• Like 2

For us, it's itinerary first and ship second. Next up for where we want to cruise is Canada/New England. Vista just sailed there but we couldn't go this year so we're going next fall instead. Only Nautica and Insignia will be sailing there in 2024 and that's fine.

We've been on Nautica, Sirena and Regatta and loved them all.  The only thing I would suggest is to book a PH on an R ship if you can because of the bathroom size. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Harry Lake said:

What's the non-win on dining? Just that there are fewer? I'm really into food and loved the Marina's.

Yes, only two specialty restaurants on R ships and four on the O ships makes for more variety.  I didn't notice a difference in quality.  

• Like 2

Will be sailing on Sirena next year in a PH. Was very reluctant to go with a smaller ship as just does not seem to be our thing. But guess you never know until you try it so we decided to bite the bullet as if we are ok with the smaller ship it could open up more itineraries for us.  Fingers crossed. But regardless we will enjoy as we know going into this cruise it has a fact finding element to it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, shepherd really said:

Yes, only two specialty restaurants on R ships and four on the O ships makes for more variety.  I didn't notice a difference in quality.  

With butler service in your cabin or a longer cruise where you can easily get repeats, getting the loser in a "I don't want to choose between them" entrée from each of two restaurants puts as big a smile on our faces as one spiffy choice from each of four restaurants.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, EJL2023 said:

Will be sailing on Sirena next year in a PH. Was very reluctant to go with a smaller ship as just does not seem to be our thing. But guess you never know until you try it so we decided to bite the bullet as if we are ok with the smaller ship it could open up more itineraries for us.  Fingers crossed. But regardless we will enjoy as we know going into this cruise it has a fact finding element to it. 

Sirena PH is great and larger very enjoyable 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, sunlover12 said:

For us, it's itinerary first and ship second. Next up for where we want to cruise is Canada/New England. Vista just sailed there but we couldn't go this year so we're going next fall instead. Only Nautica and Insignia will be sailing there in 2024 and that's fine.

We've been on Nautica, Sirena and Regatta and loved them all.  The only thing I would suggest is to book a PH on an R ship if you can because of the bathroom size. 

Agree about PH. But PH can cost as much as SS or SB. Poor value in my opinion. 

• Like 2

We have sailed on Sirena and similar ships with another cruise line and thoroughly enjoyed the ships and the ambiance.  I do recommend upgrading from a stateroom to a PH if feasible, although the staterooms are not bad, more like cozy.

Only one laundry facility vs each floor on the larger ships.

inadequate bathroom facilities.  Literally none outside the Horizon Lounge and single person room outside the theatre.  Those are the two largest people rooms on the ship.  If you are a person with ADA needs that can be a real pain.  I don’t see how that ever made it past the design phase.

6 minutes ago, zalusky said:

If you are a person with ADA needs that can be a real pain.  I don’t see how that ever made it past the design phase.

Valid point, but to answer your question it made it past the design phase because the 'R'-class design predates the ADA.

7 minutes ago, Snaefell3 said:

Valid point, but to answer your question it made it past the design phase because the 'R'-class design predates the ADA.

True but the ship has been various refreshes why couldn’t they have added a bathroom and taken out a stateroom for an additional laundry facility.