Crossing the Globe (Kind of) - A Pr1ma (Hopefully) Live'ish Adventure, 11/20 - 12/1

cruiseny4life

1 hour ago, cruiseny4life said:

You are so welcome! I truly enjoy (I'm weird) sharing my adventures. Sometimes I'm not sure others agree, especially when my opinions come out. 

The music onboard is easy to find and plentiful in the evening! I do wish the sets were longer. Theyre 45 minutes each, but I do understand why musicians would need a break. I think you'll like Shane. He plays mostly acoustic and the older songs you're looking for. 

Who is Shane?  

Did you get to any of the shows at Syd Norman's?  We have seen the Rumours performance on Breakaway and other performances there.  They were really good.  Not sure if this is the same band.  We are leaning towards not going this time as there is so much other stuff to do and don't particularly want to wait in line for an hour.  

Also some great pictures throughout.  Really helps bring the trip report alive.

• Thanks 1

I see a ship in the distance! I wonder if it is MSC Meraviglia! Terrible photo, but gosh whatever ship it is is gigantic even from so far away.

20231129_064205.thumb.jpg.b5e369e44bdf2f1da3c9f6fa319ee2d8.jpg

That is the Mera.  Was on it a month ago.  About 20,000 tons bigger.  Plus the DSC is a lot lower.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

Yesssss! Its so acidic! I remember my guide friends talking all about that one as it became dormant. Maybe the future will bring it back. Ahhh. Norris Geyset Basin. I have find memories of doing a "carcass survey" in the back Basin of Norris. Every spring, researchers (and amateurs like me) go out into the off limits area to see how many animals succumbed to the hot water/gasses during the winter. We found none which indicated an easier winter as the bison and ell were able to migrate outside the park. That correlated with what really happened that winter. Ahhh, thanks for bringing back such amazing memories! 

And a few photos from my adventure in Norris that day, March 2016. 

First, a younger, more appropriately sized cruiseny - before all these Haven meals! 

20160325_112601.thumb.jpg.d3520cf8fce0286116c80c0eacffa2ee.jpg

The expedition crew, led by Kerry Gunther, YNP's lead bear biologist.

20160325_112555.thumb.jpg.46e956b0f307d7eec70a74c64bca56cc.jpg

Slightly warm to the touch hot spring - not a Geyser, and no I didn't test the waters. 

20160325_115342.thumb.jpg.332ae168f2b37719c408a655c75ddeee.jpg

Just amazing what colors that thermophiles can make in water that is almost boiling!

20160325_112653.thumb.jpg.28f8128da12f8738f4749ee545245429.jpg

Sorry about the wonderland years detour, folks! Back to the fat Haven self of 2023!

OMG what an amazing adventure you had.  I really enjoyed your pictures, especially your circa ‘16 moderate self(ie). 🥰

Edited by laudergayle
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

BTW, when are you and the family cruising next?

My husband and I will be on the Encore in February and then we have an extended family trip (my side) on the Joy to Bermuda in June.   My young adult children are really looking forward to Bermuda as this is the first family trip they will be bringing their significant others on, and my children love Bermuda.

Been watching the Bermuda Dockyard webcam waiting for your arrival! 

• Thanks 1

Just now, vacation44 said:

Are you not docking in Bermuda?   I see the Pr1ma is going away from Bermuda now, not towards.

No Bermuda for us. But the captain was very insistent that we would have an on time arrival to Manhattan! I know those starting on the December 1st cruise would be disappointed, but more cruise for me is happy me!!

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

No Bermuda for us. But the captain was very insistent that we would have an on time arrival to Manhattan! I know those starting on the December 1st cruise would be disappointed, but more cruise for me is happy me!!

Sorry I jinxed you guys. I checked the forecast for Bermuda last night and had that uh oh feeling.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

With our extra ship time, we wandered through the breakfast buffet. We found a seat quickly and I dove into biscuits and gravy, with sausage. 

Best food I've had in the buffet! I still didn't finish the one biscuit and gravy, but if I were hungry, I have one thing to eat!

Remains of the not very photogenic yum yum. 

20231129_101931.thumb.jpg.06d01d94be035c917d8ad19e83421709.jpg

• Like 6

Just now, vacation44 said:

My husband and I will be on the Encore in February and then we have an extended family trip (my side) on the Joy to Bermuda in June.   My young adult children are really looking forward to Bermuda as this is the first family trip they will be bringing their significant others on, and my children love Bermuda.

Been watching the Bermuda Dockyard webcam waiting for your arrival! 

Sounds like an amazing adventure for your family! We are now 1 for 4 getting to Bermuda. Wishing you much better luck than we have!

• Like 2

Just now, seemoreroyals said:

Who is Shane?  

Did you get to any of the shows at Syd Norman's?  We have seen the Rumours performance on Breakaway and other performances there.  They were really good.  Not sure if this is the same band.  We are leaning towards not going this time as there is so much other stuff to do and don't particularly want to wait in line for an hour.  

Also some great pictures throughout.  Really helps bring the trip report alive.

He's a one man act. On the Dailies (which I will post sometime), he's listed as Acoustic with Shane, Oldies with Shane, etc. 

We haven't been to Syd Norman's. I like a couple of Fleetwood Mac's song, but not enough to wait in line. I gladly give a super fan my place. 🤩

And thank you for your kind words!

I toast you with a Peach Bellini this morning at 10:30 haha

20231129_103419.thumb.jpg.6428d46bf7ce508383ce8a03f4956fcc.jpg

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

With our extra ship time, we wandered through the breakfast buffet. We found a seat quickly and I dove into biscuits and gravy, with sausage. 

Best food I've had in the buffet! I still didn't finish the one biscuit and gravy, but if I were hungry, I have one thing to eat!

Now just imagine if there were ha..

No, I won't say it.

• Haha 3

Just now, Sugar Magnolia said:

No, I won't say it.

MAGNOLIA!!! You are an instigator!🥳

And I'm here for it! Seriously, I saw a plate in the buffet and at first glance thought I noticed one of those nuggets of pure gold...alas, it was a half eaten lemon pastry.

• Haha 7

9 minutes ago, Sugar Magnolia said:

No, I won't say it.

I've seen photographic evidence that the MSC Meraviglia has a version of these hockey pucks onboard!  I'll be sailing on her in mid-January and for sure will torture @cruiseny4life with photos during my "not very" semi-live review...

Edited by PistolPete13
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

11 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

Did you enjoy the cruise? Would love to hear more. It's so close to us, being based in NYC that I often consider Yacht Club.

We have enjoyed ours on MSC, done 8 total, 4 on Mera alone.  Food a bit downhill though.

Aside, they have bacon for burger though see attached. 

bacon.jpg

2 hours ago, seemoreroyals said:

The Syd Norman band and singers are different on each ship, though I have seen some of the same singers perform on different ships. One male singer I saw on the Breakaway is now performing on the Viva. The shows are all the same on every ship with the same script and same jokes. Definitely spend your time exploring other entertainment on board the Prima, as you have already experienced Syd Norman.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

We haven't been to Syd Norman's. I like a couple of Fleetwood Mac's song, but not enough to wait in line. I gladly give a super fan my place. 🤩

They only do Fleetwood Mac songs during the Rumours show.

The other 4 shows are all different--70s/80s hits.

Edited by KKB
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, PistolPete13 said:

I've seen photographic evidence that the MSC Meraviglia has a version of these hockey pucks onboard!  I'll be sailing on her in mid-January and for sure will torture @cruiseny4life with photos during my "not very" semi-live review...

I see that MSC is playing dirty against its direct competitor and offering the highly coveted hockey pucks to its unsuspecting passengers. It's a powerful weapon to use in these nasty cruise wars. Very much looking forward to your review and to find out whether this tactical maneuver will convert you.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

39 minutes ago, Sugar Magnolia said:

The Syd Norman band and singers are different on each ship, though I have seen some of the same singers perform on different ships. One male singer I saw on the Breakaway is now performing on the Viva. The shows are all the same on every ship with the same script and same jokes. Definitely spend your time exploring other entertainment on board the Prima, as you have already experienced Syd Norman.

I thought I saw you at prom night on the Viva

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Did you enjoy the cruise? Would love to hear more. It's so close to us, being based in NYC that I often consider Yacht Club.

We do too coming from Long Island, however, the itineraries are not appealing to us.  Hoping they change it up a bit next time they release new dates.

• Like 1