3 hours ago, Down-Unders said:

Port every day or second day transatlantic,don't think so!

Clearly you're not a Navigator, as on a Northern crossing, as was posted, it is entirely possible - Canada, Greenland, Iceland, Faroe Islands, Shetland, Orkney, UK Mainland.

7 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

Clearly you're not a Navigator, as on a Northern crossing, as was posted, it is entirely possible - Canada, Greenland, Iceland, Faroe Islands, Shetland, Orkney, UK Mainland.

Clearly most of these posts appear to have not much help to the original poster including your own. It is her first cruise and she does not mind sea days and travelling on her own. If you can provide me with a main stream cruise line that visits all these ports at the onetime I will book the voyage pronto.   

On 11/2/2023 at 5:59 AM, MrsTabs said:

Looking for advice, I'm thinking of doing a transatlantic on my own.  Need advice.  I'm female from UK 49 and three quarters (lol) it would be my first solo cruise.

probably looking Southampton/Miami 2025 ish, indoor cabin ( possibly studio)

which way is best? and early in year or late in year? Smoothest sailing?

Ship wise looking at Breakaway, Getaway, Encore, Bliss or Joy - any favourites for TA and why?

I know these questions are subjective, so looking for people that have done either and can advise. Looking to find things I may not have thought of to consider.

And I'm fine with multiple sea days, I love them, and not prone to sea sickness.

Thanks in advance!

I would suggest Queen Mary 2 as it is your first cruise and being a solo traveler you will meet many interesting people and lots to do onboard including dancing,with hosts for and including solo passengers, movies, bridge club, photography classes, computer classes, tour to the ships kitchens and of course our favorite walking around the promenade deck and of course gala nights and do not forget the shows. As what time of year and with global warming I just cannot advise you, our next QM2 voyage is in August with the Royal Shakespearean Co. doing a round trip. Bon Voyage!

PS Did I see you are from Halifax? this is where Samuel Cunard came from and there is a statue of him at the waterfront, so go Cunard!

Just now, Down-Unders said:

I would suggest Queen Mary 2 as it is your first cruise and being a solo traveler you will meet many interesting people and lots to do onboard including dancing,with hosts for and including solo passengers, movies, bridge club, photography classes, computer classes, tour to the ships kitchens and of course our favorite walking around the promenade deck and of course gala nights and do not forget the shows. As what time of year and with global warming I just cannot advise you, our next QM2 voyage is in August with the Royal Shakespearean Co. doing a round trip. Bon Voyage!

PS Did I see you are from Halifax? this is where Samuel Cunard came from and there is a statue of him at the waterfront, so go Cunard!

Sorry the wrong Halifax not UK Nova Scotia Canada.

30 minutes ago, Down-Unders said:

Clearly most of these posts appear to have not much help to the original poster including your own. It is her first cruise and she does not mind sea days and travelling on her own. If you can provide me with a main stream cruise line that visits all these ports at the onetime I will book the voyage pronto.   

Northern Atlantic cruises are normally on offer from at least HAL and Viking.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/1/2023 at 12:59 PM, MrsTabs said:

Looking for advice, I'm thinking of doing a transatlantic on my own.  Need advice.  I'm female from UK 49 and three quarters (lol) it would be my first solo cruise.

Ship wise looking at Breakaway, Getaway, Encore, Bliss or Joy - any favourites for TA and why?

I know these questions are subjective, so looking for people that have done either and can advise. Looking to find things I may not have thought of to consider.

And I'm fine with multiple sea days, I love them, and not prone to sea sickness.

Thanks in advance!

Southampton to Miami can be done on the Independence of the Seas embarking Southampton on October 16, 2025.  The Sky Princess has a November 2025 voyage from Southampton to Port Canaveral (at least it is in Florida).

Hank

On 1/27/2024 at 9:46 PM, Hlitner said:

Southampton to Miami can be done on the Independence of the Seas embarking Southampton on October 16, 2025.  The Sky Princess has a November 2025 voyage from Southampton to Port Canaveral (at least it is in Florida).

Hank

We have done the 15 night Indy from Southampton to FLL.  Fantastic cruise and had great weather and seas like glass. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/1/2023 at 2:59 PM, MrsTabs said:

Thanks in advance!

A few random thoughts. I took a TA Tampa to Copenhagen on NCL Star a few years ago and fell in love with the TA's. I love being able to see water everywhere, all the time, wherever you look, whatever the direction, always. It's so soothing. I remember getting close to the UK and seeing a jet trail above me and thinking that was the only off-ship sign of life that I'd seen in several days. It's glorious.

I'm taking one in October going Rome to Florida

On my first ta, I did kind of feel the effect of losing an hour every day or two. I'm looking forward to gaining an hour

I also think that I'll like the short flight home (I live in the US) better. My wonderful two weeks last time got sort of a bust in the chops by having to follow it with an arduous long-haul flight back to the States. 

If I were from the UK and had to pick one of the above, I'd take the shorter flight at the end and deal with the loss of an hour every day. Also, ships go that direction in the spring, so you miss the fall hurricane season in the Atlantic. If you sail from a southern US port, you'll probably have warm weather until you're at least halfway across

Finally, if you were to get a balcony, even solo, consider that the sun will be to the south of the ship. That means pick a starboard (right side) cabin for ships going from US to Europe and a port (left side) cabin for ships going from east to west. These will be facing the direction of the sun 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/29/2024 at 3:14 PM, Miss Ellsworth said:

I love being able to see water everywhere, all the time, wherever you look, whatever the direction, always. It's so soothing.

I'm taking one in October going Rome to Florida

I also think that I'll like the short flight home (I live in the US) better. 

Finally, if you were to get a balcony, even solo, consider that the sun will be to the south of the ship. That means pick a starboard (right side) cabin for ships going from US to Europe and a port (left side) cabin for ships going from east to west. These will be facing the direction of the sun.

These points are the exact reasons we used to choose our TA.

Shorter flight home once off ship (US).

Going East to West therefore we are on port side of ship.

And the opportunity to be able to have so many sea days at the end of the cruise!!

We are also doing a TA in October from Rome to Port Canaveral.

NCL Epic!!

So excited....

On 2/29/2024 at 8:14 PM, Miss Ellsworth said:

If I were from the UK and had to pick one of the above, I'd take the shorter flight at the end and deal with the loss of an hour every day.

Yep, I'm a Brit and my 3 TAs to date have been West to East. Much better IMHO

6 hours ago, tcmagnum said:

These points are the exact reasons we used to choose our TA.

Shorter flight home once off ship (US).

Going East to West therefore we are on port side of ship.

And the opportunity to be able to have so many sea days at the end of the cruise!!

We are also doing a TA in October from Rome to Port Canaveral.

NCL Epic!!

So excited....

I'm on the same Epic TA in October, and it does hit everything on my checklist for a TA!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RedgeToo said:

Yep, I'm a Brit and my 3 TAs to date have been West to East. Much better IMHO

We have done quite a few TAs (in both directions) and favor West bound for the simple reason of the time changes.  Consider that on the East bound (we are doing one next week) there are 5 or 6 twenty-three hour days.  We prefer gaining hours rather than losing them :).  

Many ships now handle the time changes by changing the clock around noon.  I think that practice started, many years ago, on HAL when the popular "Captain Albert" came up with the idea and convinced his company that it was a better option then taking away an hour during the night.  Setting clocks ahead during the night, is a real problem for the crew (particularly those who work in food service).  

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

We have done quite a few TAs (in both directions) and favor West bound for the simple reason of the time changes.

Yeah, I get that.

My preference is to fly during my day and sail back to Blighty or Europe.

6 minutes ago, RedgeToo said:

Yeah, I get that.

My preference is to fly during my day and sail back to Blighty or Europe.

Our preference is to cruise, round trip, to Europe.  We always look for that opportunity, although it does not always work because of schedules (the ships and ours).  

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Our preference is to cruise, round trip, to Europe.  We always look for that opportunity, although it does not always work because of schedules (the ships and ours).  

Agree, I found a return trip for next year. FLL to Southampton on 4/4 and Southampton to Boston on 7/18!

Edited by Globaler
  • Like 1