6 hours ago, Pudgesmom said:

There are usually no port stops on a trans -Atlantic cruise, sometimes there is only one. The disadvantages of a large ship in a small port is negated here.

Sorry, this is not factual. The number of ports depends on the routing. Some ships making a more northerly crossing can be in port every day, or every 2nd day.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

Sorry, this is not factual. The number of ports depends on the routing. Some ships making a more northerly crossing can be in port every day, or every 2nd day.

You milage may vary. I was sharing my experience, which is factual for 7 crossings over two lines. So yes, it IS FACTUAL for some lines. Thank you for sharing YOUR knowledge . 🙂

Edited by Pudgesmom

21 hours ago, Pudgesmom said:

There are usually no port stops on a trans -Atlantic cruise, sometimes there is only one. The disadvantages of a large ship in a small port is negated here.

Many if not most TAs have a several ports of call along the way.  

We have done dozens of TAs (both directions) and it is one of our favorite types of cruise.  If you do want a few ports, forget about the "Queen" and look to repositioning cruises operated by nearly all cruise lines.  Most repositioning cruises are in the fall and spring as ships relocated between Europe and North America.   If you have the time, and money, you might want to consider a fall cruise that takes a northerly route (not to Miami or Florida) and includes places like Scotland, Iceland, Greenland and/or Canada.  These itineraries have plenty of small/interesting ports and are among our personal favorite.  

If you want to go between Europe and Florida, most itineraries will include very few ports (i.e. Azores, Canary's, Bermuda,).  It is sometimes possible to find some terrific deals (in terms of cost per passenger day) on these cruises.  Also keep in mind that airfares to get you to or from home have really increased, so you might want to look for cruise lines that include or offer some decent air incentives.

Hank

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Pudgesmom said:

You milage may vary. I was sharing my experience, which is factual for 7 crossings over two lines. So yes, it IS FACTUAL for some lines. Thank you for sharing YOUR knowledge . 🙂

I am well aware that you can cross the Atlantic with no ports of call, as I have done on many of my crossings. My reference to "Factual" was based on your blanket statement, "There are usually no port stops on a trans -Atlantic cruise, sometimes there is only one." While some crossings of the Atlantic have 1 or no ports of call, they are very much in the minority of all Atlantic crossings, which can include - vessel repositioning/delivery, liner voyages, World Cruises, Grand Voyages, etc. 

Rather than a blanket statement that usually TA's have 1 or no ports, may I suggest that your original post you could have qualified that it was based on your limited experience of crossing the Atlantic. Since those itineraries are not overly common, it may also help to provide info on the cruise lines and routing.

With the exception of the QM2 and other Cunarders, which are known as "Liner" voyages, having only 1 or less ports between embarkation and disembarkation is not an overly common itinerary. Most TA's make at least 1 stop in the Atlantic at the Azores, Madeira, Bermuda, etc and have a few ports in Europe and/or Caribbean.

• Like 3

As I said, your milage may vary. 

To the OP, and to correct my error, all of MY 7 transatlantic cruises have had either one or no stops. And they were called “transatlantic,” not “repositioning,” by the cruise line. They each lasted 13-14 days. They were on small ship cruise lines. Quite a few singles seemed to be enjoying themselves among the other passengers.

I would like to ask how many crossings would require someone to get past the point of “limited” experience? Is this forum only open to people with a certain number? 

And possibly my main point of fewer stops on a large ship was completely missed.

Thank you so very much for correcting my mistakes. Feel free to correct any of this as needed. I had hoped my experiences would add to the body of information for the OP. Perhaps they may be interested in a VARIETY of choices.

Edited by Pudgesmom

15 minutes ago, Pudgesmom said:

As I said, your milage may vary. 

To the OP, all of MY 7 transatlantic cruises have had either one or no stops. And they were called “transatlantic,” not “repositioning,” by the cruise line. They each lasted 13-14 days. They were on small ship cruise lines. Quite a few singles seemed to be enjoying themselves among the other passengers.

I would like to ask how many crossings would require someone to get past the point of “limited” experience? Is this forum only open to people with a certain number? 

And possibly my main point of fewer stops on a large ship was completely missed.

Thank you so very much for correcting my horrible mistakes. Feel free to correct any of this as needed. I had hoped my experiences would add to the body of information for the OP.

OP was referencing NCL ships. NCL calls these transatlantic cruises (not repositioning) and 90% of the time they have lots of ports. The main exception is two upcoming mid season voyages which are to dry dock and back. 

we all have different bases of knowledge. Mass market lines are the majority instead of the minority. OP was asking about voyages on a mass market line. Your value of knowledge can still be very helpful but not necessarily on the amount of port stops, what the cruise line calls these cruises, how large ships access a port etc.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, SoloAlaska said:

OP was referencing NCL ships. NCL calls these transatlantic cruises (not repositioning) and 90% of the time they have lots of ports. The main exception is two upcoming mid season voyages which are to dry dock and back. 

we all have different bases of knowledge. Mass market lines are the majority instead of the minority. OP was asking about voyages on a mass market line. Your value of knowledge can still be very helpful but not necessarily on the amount of port stops, what the cruise line calls these cruises, how large ships access a port etc.

Other cruise lines have been discussed here, despite the fact that OP asked about NCL specifically. At that point, I thought it was ok to talk about my experiences. And yes, I made a mistake in using the word “all,” which I have now apologized for twice! 

If we are only to talk about how mass market lines work, then much is missed, including the nomenclature of types of sailings. I now feel  I can see that it is not my place to post here, because I might make another error. Majority rules. Thank you for your help.

And yes, I have traveled many times on mass market lines and have experienced how the large ships handle port calls. 

Edited by Pudgesmom

16 minutes ago, Pudgesmom said:

Other cruise lines have been discussed here, despite the fact that OP asked about NCL specifically. At that point, I thought it was ok to talk about my experiences. And yes, I made a mistake in using the word “all,” which I have now apologized for twice! 

If we are only to talk about how mass market lines work, then much is missed, including the nomenclature of types of sailings. I now feel  I can see that it is not my place to post here, because I might make another error. Thank you for your help.

And yes, I have traveled many times on mass market lines and have experienced how the large ships handle port calls. 

Please do not see my post as saying you have no place it is so far from what I intend. All I am trying to say is prefacing your experience can be helpful when you have such a varied personal experience. Eg. “when cruising with line1 and line2 there were no ports but we had a great time on our x# of sea days, met lots of solos who also enjoyed themselves doing XYZ”.

I hope to be able to reach your level of cruising experience someday myself. 

I will be going solo on the NCL Joy from Southampton to Miami Feb 13-24, 2024. This is to cross off a bucket list item.🙂  It will be after it's 3 week drydock so I realize work may be going on in some areas during the crossing.  Hoping the Haven isn't one of them.  

In your experience, is it OK to book a flight out of Miami on the actual arrival day? I'd usually book a flight around Noon or later. Wondering if there is possibility of a late arrival. Thinking I may use some hotel points to stay in Miami that first night then fly out the next morning.  Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Barb

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BDL said:

I will be going solo on the NCL Joy from Southampton to Miami Feb 13-24, 2024. This is to cross off a bucket list item.🙂  It will be after it's 3 week drydock so I realize work may be going on in some areas during the crossing.  Hoping the Haven isn't one of them.  

In your experience, is it OK to book a flight out of Miami on the actual arrival day? I'd usually book a flight around Noon or later. Wondering if there is possibility of a late arrival. Thinking I may use some hotel points to stay in Miami that first night then fly out the next morning.  Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Barb

Assuming you are flying from Heathrow, it will depend on how you travel to the airport. For example

https://www.rome2rio.com/map/Southampton/Heathrow-England

Don't forget you need to be checked in 2-3 hours before the flight.

Personally, I'd be looking at an afternoon flight in case anything goes wrong.

11 hours ago, BDL said:

In your experience, is it OK to book a flight out of Miami on the actual arrival day? I'd usually book a flight around Noon or later. Wondering if there is possibility of a late arrival. Thinking I may use some hotel points to stay in Miami that first night then fly out the next morning.  Any thoughts would be 

Where will you be flying to?  I’m assuming New York.  You should have plenty of flights for the same day as your arrival.  Just give yourself enough time to get off the ship and get to the airport.  I always feel that extra night at the airport is a waste of time…but that’s just me.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, BDL said:

Barb

If your schedule allows for an extra day or so of relaxation before flying home, my advice is to take advantage of it. It's nice to be able to extend the vacy and be able to repack at a hotel before flying out. We've done it a few times, but generally, we need to get back home. Half of the time, I had to fly back to California, and now we return to Europe. While we've never had any problems making it to our flights on time, that is only the case until we do, for the first time. My closest call was on the Escape inaugural from Southampton into Miami in 2015. Immigration and customs were a cluster, but I still made it up to FLL from Miami by 14:00. Most of the time, we are out on the street around 10 or so. After the Joy into Miami in February, we are flying back to Europe around 17:00 the day we arrive in port.

3 hours ago, sicness4x4 said:

If your schedule allows for an extra day or so of relaxation before flying home, my advice is to take advantage of it. It's nice to be able to extend the vacy and be able to repack at a hotel before flying out. We've done it a few times, but generally, we need to get back home. Half of the time, I had to fly back to California, and now we return to Europe. While we've never had any problems making it to our flights on time, that is only the case until we do, for the first time. My closest call was on the Escape inaugural from Southampton into Miami in 2015. Immigration and customs were a cluster, but I still made it up to FLL from Miami by 14:00. Most of the time, we are out on the street around 10 or so. After the Joy into Miami in February, we are flying back to Europe around 17:00 the day we arrive in port.

Some travel insurance plans cover missed connections for times like these. I might have to use that soon if my flight is cancelled due to the potential volcanic activity in Iceland. My insurance will pay for a new flight (minus any refunds) if you miss your flight.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, RedgeToo said:

Assuming you are flying from Heathrow, it will depend on how you travel to the airport. For example

https://www.rome2rio.com/map/Southampton/Heathrow-England

Don't forget you need to be checked in 2-3 hours before the flight.

Personally, I'd be looking at an afternoon flight in case anything goes wrong.

Thanks for your response but I actually meant after the cruise in Miami.  Before the cruise , since I'm flying out of Buffalo NY and it's winter I'll be flying out on the 10th and arriving in Southampton on the 11th.  I'm leaving room for weather delays.  

I was more concerned if TA cruises ever take longer than expected and maybe I should plan on flying home a day after scheduled arrival. 

Barb

4 hours ago, sicness4x4 said:

Thanks for your response.  I'm flying back to Buffalo NY and there are no non-stops unfortunately.  If I miss the flight my insurance would cover a hotel so maybe I will try an afternoon flight on the day of arrival. 

2 hours ago, BDL said:

Thanks for your response.  I'm flying back to Buffalo NY and there are no non-stops unfortunately.  If I miss the flight my insurance would cover a hotel so maybe I will try an afternoon flight on the day of arrival. 

I would be more concerned with delays with customs in Miami.  When we did the Wonder TA last fall there was a lengthy delay going through customs due to only a few agents working (this was at Port Canaveral, but I've heard that it can happen at any of the arrival ports).  For ease of mind and less stress, either book a later in the day flight or stay overnight in Miami then take an early flight home the next day.

3 hours ago, BDL said:

Thanks for your response but I actually meant after the cruise in Miami.  Before the cruise , since I'm flying out of Buffalo NY and it's winter I'll be flying out on the 10th and arriving in Southampton on the 11th.  I'm leaving room for weather delays.  

I was more concerned if TA cruises ever take longer than expected and maybe I should plan on flying home a day after scheduled arrival. 

Barb

Oops, my bad

Enjoy your cruise

• 1 month later...

The two cruises I took that crossed the Atlantic were marketed as Transatlantic. Repositioning cruises are a more general term that can be a TA or a ship sailing from Alaska to Japan or the other way,etc. It is where a ship is moving from the area it was doing cruises to a different are where it will do cruises. Canard is the only line that sails transatlantic with no or one port. However, they have TAs that have multiple ports, too. I think its better to sail in the fall and cross from  Europe to the US. That way you get the 7 days of sea in a row and get rested. The two I took had amazing weather. One was late October  and one was early November. 

Some strange posts so lets have some fun :).  A "crossing" is simply when a ship crosses an ocean.  Some crossings are also repositioning cruises while some others are simply crossings (such as the Queen Mary 2).  But this kind of argument about definitions is what some attorneys call "deminimus."  As to the issue of disembarking in a US port after a crossing/repositioning, there can sometimes be a delay because the US CBP folks might hold up the process (often because of issues with the credentials of one or more crew members) or some other issue that can leave the most seasoned sailors scratching their heads.  We do think it is wise not to schedule a flight until the afternoon, but the odds certainly favor catching a late morning flight.  

I should add that the CBP folks have really improved the process in the USA.  They seem to have streamlined some of their procedures including the use of facial recognition.  We just disembarked (yesterday morning) in Port Everglades.  Even though we did let the ship take out our luggage (we did not do the Express Debarkation where one carries their own luggage) we were off the ship by 7:00 and at FLL by 7:30.  This was NOT a "crossing" so we cannot know if they are now as efficient with that type of cruise.  The new procedures meant that those with US Passports did not even need to show their Passports, but rather get a quick scan (for facial recognition).  This really speeds up the process in the terminal.  Those who still must go through Passport Control (most non-US Passports or those who fail the facial recognition procedure) benefit from much shorter lines.

Hank

10 hours ago, sambamama said:

The two cruises I took that crossed the Atlantic were marketed as Transatlantic. Repositioning cruises are a more general term that can be a TA or a ship sailing from Alaska to Japan or the other way,etc. It is where a ship is moving from the area it was doing cruises to a different are where it will do cruises. Canard is the only line that sails transatlantic with no or one port. However, they have TAs that have multiple ports, too. I think its better to sail in the fall and cross from  Europe to the US. That way you get the 7 days of sea in a row and get rested. The two I took had amazing weather. One was late October  and one was early November. 

Alaska to Japan, and vice-versa, is marketed as a Transpacific, FYI. But it would also be a repo cruise.

14 hours ago, sambamama said:

Trans-Atlantic cruises are any sailing that crosses the North or South Atlantic Ocean, which can include liner voyages (QM2), repositioning cruises, World Cruises or Grand Voyages.

Repositioning cruises are any cruise when a ship changes home posts, which don't always cross an ocean. The Alaska ships based in Vancouver & Seattle reposition to/from Florida, without crossing an ocean.

You are incorrect that Cunard is the only cruise line crossing the Atlantic with a max of 1 port stop. The P&O World Cruise normally only has 1 stop between Southampton and Ft Lauderdale and the P&O Caribbean departures from Southampton also only have 1 stop. The Fred Olsen World Cruise also only has 1 stop between Southampton and the US East Coast.

Thx for info--we do our 1st TA this April.

FLL-Southampton then 12 days around British Isles on Regal Princess.

I've been on a ship for 21 days around Norway & British Isles, but DH longest was 14 days Hawaii cruise (but at least he has already experienced 5 days in a row at sea!)

Can't wait! 

Edited by KKB
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/11/2023 at 2:09 PM, Heidi13 said:

Port every day or second day transatlantic,don't think so!