Cunard Stops Homeporting in Oz 2026

13 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Oh yes I forgot about the front bench seat.  Did you used to stop at parks with play equipment en route.  We did. What kind of accomodation did you stay with a family of six?

We must have been rich because we stayed in motels! We weren’t a camping family. Even when we had a picnic or BBQ Dad would complain that we were "living like the blacks."  His words, not mine! 😱

On the Cairns trip we stayed with Dad's sister and family in Mackay on the way up and with his elderly uncle at Hughenden on the way home. I clearly remember staying in a motel at Emerald on the way back to Bundaberg because we accidentally stole a lime green towel. 🤦‍♂️

We rented a unit in Thredbo called "Blue Duck Lodge". Don’t ask me how I can remember that. 
Before my youngest sister was born, we had a fortnight in a camper-van in New Zealand and toured both islands. It must have been 1979 and I would have been 5. We borrowed my grandparents movie camera for the trip and Mum managed to pack everything in two ports. Us kids must have been 9, 5, and 3. 
Those were the three big trips of my childhood. Annual holidays weren’t a thing for us when I was growing up but I’m making up for it now! This time next week we will be on the road to Brisbane to board the Coral Princess for a 3 night "Seacation". 😁 

2 minutes ago, Sparky74 said:

We must have been rich because we stayed in motels! We weren’t a camping family. Even when we had a picnic or BBQ Dad would complain that we were "living like the blacks."  His words, not mine! 😱

On the Cairns trip we stayed with Dad's sister and family in Mackay on the way up and with his elderly uncle at Hughenden on the way home. I clearly remember staying in a motel at Emerald on the way back to Bundaberg because we accidentally stole a lime green towel. 🤦‍♂️

We rented a unit in Thredbo called "Blue Duck Lodge". Don’t ask me how I can remember that. 
Before my youngest sister was born, we had a fortnight in a camper-van in New Zealand and toured both islands. It must have been 1979 and I would have been 5. We borrowed my grandparents movie camera for the trip and Mum managed to pack everything in two ports. Us kids must have been 9, 5, and 3. 
Those were the three big trips of my childhood. Annual holidays weren’t a thing for us when I was growing up but I’m making up for it now! This time next week we will be on the road to Brisbane to board the Coral Princess for a 3 night "Seacation". 😁 

Yes I agree you must have been rich.  Sounds like you had wonderful family holidays.  Bon Voyage for Coral Princess. I remember we always stayed with family on holidays.  We used to travel north on the Sunlander annually to Mackay and the islands. I caught the Greyhound and bus to Sydney and did one overnight bus trip to Sydney,  I moved the wardrobe to block the front door on that overnight trip, which is another story,  I was the first member of my family who flew.  We were poor but I didn't know it.  I went to the local State School like everyone else.  The boys wore no shoes, the girls wore sandals.  In our final primary school year, our Head Teacher volunteered teaching the grade 7 students preparing us for Scholarship Examination.  This was the level most local children at the school went to.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MMDown Under said:

I still have all my AA maps and accommodation books.  Oh the joys of long distance car trips with kids in the back.  How did your family fit four?  They didn't have the extra row of seats in 1982.  My girlfriend had three children.  The youngest had to sit in the middle of the back seat and look straight ahead, not look out the older two's windows!! I had two girls with the Esky in the middle of the back seat. Decided two was a good number without buying a bigger car.

I had four girls 2 years apart, when the youngest was two I re-arranged the rear seat belts to fit four seatbelts across.

Backseat belts were not required in those days.

And used those RACV strip maps all the way from Melbourne to Caloundra.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sparky74 said:

This time next week we will be on the road to Brisbane to board the Coral Princess for a 3 night "Seacation". 😁 

We'll look after her for you and try not to depleat her food supplies too much 🍽 🎂. Am in the air on the way to (hopefully) sunny Brisbane to board her today for 7 nights 🤗 Air NZ's fortunes must have improved, they have free wifi on board, woohoo 🥳

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jean C said:

We'll look after her for you and try not to depleat her food supplies too much 🍽 🎂. Am in the air on the way to (hopefully) sunny Brisbane to board her today for 7 nights 🤗 Air NZ's fortunes must have improved, they have free wifi on board, woohoo 🥳

Bon Voyage.  Showers Friday, Sat and Tues, sunny Sun and Mon.  Where is your cruise heading? Freewifi yes!

Have my seat booked on Air NZ for my cruise from Auckland on 12/1.

12 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Bon Voyage.  Showers Friday, Sat and Tues, sunny Sun and Mon.  Where is your cruise heading? Freewifi yes!

Have my seat booked on Air NZ for my cruise from Auckland on 12/1.

Isn't it exciting! We go up the Qld coast, Airlie Beach, Port Douglas and Cairns. Have been monitoring weather and it looks like we'll have a mixed bag - as long as it doesn't rain all day we'll be happy. Family flew in last week and were on Gold Coast, although weather forecast looked awful for them it wasn't that bad and pics they sent me showed sun ☀ If all else fails, we at least won't go hungry!

The newer Air NZ planes are lovely. I guess with free wifi for everyone passengers are less likely to be a nuisance for the crew, hehehe 🛩 We land in approx 1.5 hrs 🤗🥰 We booked seat and bag and chose our seat nos. It's an early morning flight which serves breakfast - their breakfasts never used to look that interesting, but even that's improved - our neighbour's croissant looked delicious 😋 We've holding out for the bottomless buffet, hehehe. Watch out @Sparky74, we might eat the ship dry!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Isn't it exciting! We go up the Qld coast, Airlie Beach, Port Douglas and Cairns. Have been monitoring weather and it looks like we'll have a mixed bag - as long as it doesn't rain all day we'll be happy. Family flew in last week and were on Gold Coast, although weather forecast looked awful for them it wasn't that bad and pics they sent me showed sun ☀ If all else fails, we at least won't go hungry!

The newer Air NZ planes are lovely. I guess with free wifi for everyone passengers are less likely to be a nuisance for the crew, hehehe 🛩 We land in approx 1.5 hrs 🤗🥰 We booked seat and bag and chose our seat nos. It's an early morning flight which serves breakfast - their breakfasts never used to look that interesting, but even that's improved - our neighbour's croissant looked delicious 😋 We've holding out for the bottomless buffet, hehehe. Watch out @Sparky74, we might eat the ship dry!!!

It light rained all week on GC, but not torrential rain.  We have booked the Works on Air NZ because we can't check in until afternoon,  No bottomless buffet for us.  2 nights accommodation in Auckland prior to cruise on 12/1. Any recommendations for Auckland accommodation.  We usually stay at Parnell unit with a view close to Rose Gardens and the Museum,  Do you have anything booked for AirlieBeach?  I chartered a car for a solo booking from a local bus company.  Fabulous!

11 minutes ago, Jean C said:

My daughter is  flying back with Air NZ economy sky couch (4 seats).  she couldn't afford business class from NY.  She just flew over from Thailand to NY on Qatar business class.  Voted best business class

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

It light rained all week on GC, but not torrential rain.  We have booked the Works on Air NZ because we can't check in until afternoon,  No bottomless buffet for us.  2 nights accommodation in Auckland prior to cruise on 12/1. Any recommendations for Auckland accommodation.  We usually stay at Parnell unit with a view close to Rose Gardens and the Museum,  Do you have anything booked for AirlieBeach?  I chartered a car for a solo booking from a local bus company.  Fabulous!

Parnell is a good place to stay, probably a bit cheaper than Central city. We did the same cruise last year and went to Whitehaven - awesome weather and really enjoyed it. This time I'm travelling with family and we'll just walk to the lagoon, which is lovely. Whitehaven is on my daughter's bucket list along with Great Barrier Reef but I truly believe they'll have a better experience at those places on a separate land based holiday, where they'll have more time and can go to the Outer Reef for a better experience, so that's what they'll do.

Do you have an early flight back from Auckland? If so I can highly recommend the Airport Ibis Budget hotel for the night prior, it very very reasonably priced. Okay the rooms are very small, smaller than a ship's cabins in fact, but it is very very clean and kept in fantastic condition. The shower is small too, so overall not so good for bigger people.  

17 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

My daughter is  flying back with Air NZ economy sky couch (4 seats).  she couldn't afford business class from NY.  She just flew over from Thailand to NY on Qatar business class.  Voted best business class

Good for her 😊 We fly pleb class, although many years ago my daughter, then aged 14, and I were upgraded to Business class on a long haul flight, she loved it.  Hard to go back, hehehe, but needs must 😪

Edited by Jean C

Parnell is a good place to stay, probably a bit cheaper than Central city. We did the same cruise last year and went to Whitehaven - awesome weather and really enjoyed it. This time I'm travelling with family and we'll just walk to the lagoon, which is lovely. Whitehaven is on my daughter's bucket list along with Great Barrier Reef but I truly believe they'll have a better experience at those places on a separate land based holiday, where they'll have more time and can go to the Outer Reef for a better experience, so that's what they'll do.

Do you have an early flight back from Auckland? If so I can highly recommend the Airport Ibis Budget hotel for the night prior, it very very reasonably priced. Okay the rooms are very small, smaller than a ship's cabins in fact, but it is very very clean and kept in fantastic condition. The shower is small too, so overall not so good for bigger people.  

Thanks.  I'm cruising on Virgin's Resilient Lady on 12/1.  However my daughter is staying the weekend so I'll tell her.  

4 minutes ago, Jean C said:

Parnell is a good place to stay, probably a bit cheaper than Central city. We did the same cruise last year and went to Whitehaven - awesome weather and really enjoyed it. This time I'm travelling with family and we'll just walk to the lagoon, which is lovely. Whitehaven is on my daughter's bucket list along with Great Barrier Reef but I truly believe they'll have a better experience at those places on a separate land based holiday, where they' mmll have more time and can go to the Outer Reef for a better experience, so that's what they'll do.

The markets will be on at Airlie.  I went to Cape Gloucester Resort for lunch on the beautiful beach, as it was my birthday.  We have holidayed at Airlie Beach a few times for a fortnight and Gloucester is my favourite place, apart from the ferries to the islands.  Oh we saw a dugong in the water, after getting off the public bus close to Shute Harbour. 

3 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

The markets will be on at Airlie.  I went to Cape Gloucester Resort for lunch on the beautiful beach, as it was my birthday.  We have holidayed at Airlie Beach a few times for a fortnight and Gloucester is my favourite place, apart from the ferries to the islands.  Oh we saw a dugong in the water, after getting off the public bus close to Shute Harbour. 

That sounds awesome, thanks for the suggestion 🤗 Last year they had very cheap sunhats at the market but I'm pretty petite and they were all too big for my head 🙁 I'll definitely try my luck again this year 🤞

That sounds awesome, thanks for the suggestion 🤗 Last year they had very cheap sunhats at the market but I'm pretty petite and they were all too big for my head 🙁 I'll definitely try my luck again this year 🤞

Good luck with your hut purchase,  I visited the markets and lagoon before heading back to the ship to be collected by my driver.  I rescued him from the Auths questioning him why he was parked there.  I heard him say I'm picking up a passenger as I arrived.  Were they surprised!!

• Haha 1

Just now, MMDown Under said:

Good luck with your hut purchase,  I visited the markets and lagoon before heading back to the ship to be collected by my driver.  I rescued him from the Auths questioning him why he was parked there.  I heard him say I'm picking up a passenger as I arrived.  Were they surprised!!

Oops hat, although a hut at Airlie would be nice if you could handle the occasional cyclone.  I visited there once and there wasn't a leaf on the trees from Proserpine and the island resorts were wrecked.

8 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Oops hat, although a hut at Airlie would be nice if you could handle the occasional cyclone.  I visited there once and there wasn't a leaf on the trees from Proserpine and the island resorts were wrecked.

Ooh ouch, that sounds bad. We've started our descent and family en route from GC. Have seen on line pic of our ship currently berthed at Brisbane so all go now 🛩 🚙 🛳 🥂🍹 🍽  🎂   😊

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jean C said:

Ooh ouch, that sounds bad. We've started our descent and family en route from GC. Have seen on line pic of our ship currently berthed at Brisbane so all go now 🛩 🚙 🛳🥂🍹 🍽  🎂   😊

How magical seeing your ship from the air, as well as meeting up with your family members. You are going to have such a wonderful time.

My daughter arrived in NY today.  Her original plans fell through, but she has seen the Macy's Thanksgiving Parade for the first time, and has met up with a work colleague for Thanksgiving lunch.  She just sent me a text of dinner on the rooftop overlooking high rise buildings and the famous Chrysler building.

Bon Voyage! 

• Like 3