Cunard Stops Homeporting in Oz 2026

I believe that "port" is short for portmanteau which strictly speaking is a hinged case with two equal halves. Growing up we had ports like this; the lid was symmetrical with the base. 

Early in my working life I asked a colleague (originally from Victoria) if I could borrow her Nikko. When she refused I wanted to know why and she replied that she know what a Nikko was!

DW was born and raised in NSW. It triggers her if I talk about peanut paste but back in the day "butter" could only refer to a dairy product in Qld. 

Now, will someone please hand me the Referdex…

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Ute was bigger than a tilly (utility).  Our tilly was the first small family car  Can you imagine letting children sit on forms in the back?  I had a flashback in Tahiti when the utility transport had a form in the middle of the back 

Another elderly uncle had a car with a small dickey seat in the back in which he carried his lawn mower to mow older people's yards.  I loved that car which looked so posh to me. 

I had never heard of a tilly until this discussion.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, arxcards said:

I had never heard of a tilly until this discussion.

Were you born in Queensland?  It is Aussie slang,  I was brought up by my grandmother who used a lot of old language from Britain.  She was also a farmer's wife.  

12 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

This conversation is great, thanks, it makes me feel young.

I was old before my time, because of my grandmother.  When we visited her aunt i was to be seen and not heard.  After I had sat quietly listening for a period, i was given permission to play with the neighbour's children.

1 hour ago, MMDown Under said:

Were you born in Queensland?  It is Aussie slang,  I was brought up by my grandmother who used a lot of old language from Britain.  She was also a farmer's wife.  

My wife was born in Cairns. She has a friend named Tilly (not short for Matilda), but hasn't otherwise heard of that. I only visit QLD occasionally.

2 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Not good, I am still in the boot and may need surgery.

Sorry to hear that, Mic.  Best wishes for the most comfortable pathway to recovery, whatever that may be.  We have some brilliant Orthopods here in Canberra..

4 hours ago, Sparky74 said:

I believe that "port" is short for portmanteau which strictly speaking is a hinged case with two equal halves. Growing up we had ports like this; the lid was symmetrical with the base. 

Early in my working life I asked a colleague (originally from Victoria) if I could borrow her Nikko. When she refused I wanted to know why and she replied that she know what a Nikko was!

DW was born and raised in NSW. It triggers her if I talk about peanut paste but back in the day "butter" could only refer to a dairy product in Qld. 

OK Nikko?

Camera? something else?

Referdex! your definately not from Victoria, or you would have said melway.

18 minutes ago, Ozwoody said:

OK Nikko?

Camera? something else?

Referdex! your definately not from Victoria, or you would have said melway.

Yes port is short for portmanteau.  You always had a referdex in the car. and an esky if you were going to have a picnic and a biro to write messages.  I used to have a lot of young Japanese stay because my young daughter was learning japanese.  Everyone spoke excellent English and no one wanted to speak Japanese.  However, they spoke American  English so were surprised when they couldn't follow the conversation.

4 hours ago, Sparky74 said:

YES the country people in Qld. didn't want the term peanut butter used.  Peanut paste it was!  I don't know what a nikko is and maybe I shouldn't ask. 

8 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

YES the country people in Qld. didn't want the term peanut butter used.  Peanut paste it was!  I don't know what a nikko is and maybe I shouldn't ask. 

My daughter just texted me to say there were no showers in the Lounge at the airport.  I texted her to say wet a washer to freshen up.  She has already shifted from jungle mode (Thailand) to Manhattan mode and has twelve of thirteen theatre slots filled!  I'm so envious.  Looking forward to the live theatre on Virgin.  

4 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

Port = suitcase

Duchess  = dressing table

Tilly = ute or utility truck

Refidex = street directory 

Peanut Paste = peanut putter

Nikko = permanent marker

Sometimes older people from outside Qld are familiar with the term "duchess set" which refers to a set of three doilies that sit on a dressing table. 

It’s now 8 days until our next cruise. 😁 I mustn’t forget to pack my togs. 

1978403F-927D-4B72-9DE8-3E69663BADA2.jpeg

Edited by Sparky74
Typo
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Sparky74 said:

Port = suitcase

Nikko = permanent marker

Sometimes older people from outside Qld are familiar with the term "duchess set" which refers to a set of three doilies that sit on a dressing table. 

You must be a Queenslander, otherwise you'd be taking your cosi swimming costume.

i didn't call a marker a nikko. However I have lots of hand made duchess sets in my linen press.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MMDown Under said:

You must be a Queenslander, otherwise you'd be taking your cosi swimming costume.

i didn't call a marker a nikko. However I have lots of hand made duchess sets in my linen press.  

I think Cosi must be a NSW thing, grew up in Vic and it was get your togs there too.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sparky74 said:

Port = suitcase

Nikko = permanent marker

Nikko = Texta, or a permeant marker. Americans tend to call them Sharpie's. Like a biro, they have little to do with local language, but are just brand names. Much like calling something a hoover instead of a vacuum cleaner, or liquid paper instead of correction fluid. Tilly was also brand related to UK Leyland utilities during WW2 (Austin's. Hillmans etc). To call a Holden Ute a Tilly would be a stretch. 

Nikon = camera

Nickoff = go away 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, arxcards said:

Swimmers when I was growing up. Now budgies or .... stickers.

Stickers?
I’ve come across togs, swimming togs, swimmers, bathers, bathing costume, cossi, and even swimming trunks. 
Then there’s board shorts or boardies, the Americans have "jams", rashies, bikinis, and a one-piece. 
I’ve heard Speedos (I think that’s a brand name too) called budgie smugglers or even DTs (and don’t ask what that stands for) 😱

But "stickers" is a new one on me. 🤷‍♂️

16 minutes ago, arxcards said:

Nikko = Texta, or a permeant marker. Americans tend to call them Sharpie's. Like a biro, they have little to do with local language, but are just brand names. Much like calling something a hoover instead of a vacuum cleaner, or liquid paper instead of correction fluid. Tilly was also brand related to UK Leyland utilities during WW2 (Austin's. Hillmans etc). To call a Holden Ute a Tilly would be a stretch. 

Nikon = camera

Nickoff = go away 

I think I was in high school (or at least upper primary school) before I heard the term "ute". It was always a tilly. Oh, and we were a Ford family, not Holden! 😁

Now "nickoff" I am familiar with. I was often told to do that. Or to POQ. Come to think of it, I still am! 🤣🤣🤣

————————

Funny how this thread has wandered. It’s nothing to do with Cunard now. 🤷‍♂️

• Haha 3

7 minutes ago, Sparky74 said:

Stickers?
I’ve come across togs, swimming togs, swimmers, bathers, bathing costume, cossi, and even swimming trunks. 
Then there’s board shorts or boardies, the Americans have "jams", rashies, bikinis, and a one-piece. 
I’ve heard Speedos (I think that’s a brand name too) called budgie smugglers or even DTs (and don’t ask what that stands for) 😱

I suspect that stickers has been shortened from 'D**k (Richard) Stickers'.

24 minutes ago, arxcards said:

Nikon = camera

Nickoff = go away 

21 minutes ago, Sparky74 said:

Stickers?

I think there are so many different names for togs because Aussies live in the water at the beach or in dams and rivers in the bush.  Annette Kellerman, the long distance swimmer, pushed for women to wear practical swimsuits.  She cut off the bottom of the men's swimsuits.  She became known as the "million dollar mermaid" and a movie was made of her life.  She was my great aunt's sister. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

I think there are so many different names for togs because Aussies live in the water at the beach or in dams and rivers in the bush.  Annette Kellerman, the long distance swimmer, pushed for women to wear practical swimsuits.  She cut off the bottom of the men's swimsuits.  She became known as the "million dollar mermaid" and a movie was made of her life.  She was my great aunt's sister. 

My claim to fame is that at a very young age I (apparently) received swimming lessons from Michelle Pearson who later went on to win Commonwealth and Olympic medals for swimming.