Cunard Stops Homeporting in Oz 2026

Cunard has announced it will stop homeporting the Queen Elizabeth in Australia from 2026 onwards.

The ship will only visit the southern hemisphere on world cruise segments.

In a statement from Matt Gleaves, Commercial Vice President of North America & Australasia, he said, “We know that many guests in Australia and Japan love to sail with Cunard and Queen Elizabeth is already on her way to Australia to begin her 2023/2024 homeport season starting 27 November.  

“The ship will also return for her scheduled 2024/2025 season and whilst this news means that from 2026 there will be no locally based program, Australia and Asia will remain important destinations on our round-the-world voyages and we look forward to welcoming guests from these regions wherever they chose to sail with us.” 
https://cruisepassenger.com.au/news/cunard-pulls-the-pin-on-queen-elizabeths-return-to-australia/?fbclid=IwAR3zlYintiiOOrJp7NpZzymeFw9JrDAznvac96DtiVb-0GGco0kqIL4zMlE_aem_AYi8EUZNPjJiEk4ccirzQpHccslkEpqaknQD1_OE6-HCzhLlTBOxTse_QRyoYEBk2cA&mibextid=9R9pXO

15 minutes ago, arxcards said:

Interesting. The Aussie cash cow is in retreat, but that is a surprise, especially with an extra ship entering their fleet - unless Vicky is being repurposed.

I think that there are plenty Aussie who do not want to dress up for dinner.

we went on Cunard once and loved it but really can’t be bother dressing up all the time.

times have changed.

Eileen

• Like 1

Cunard's proposed withdrawal may be due to the fact that the local customer base is limited and those of us who have "done" the forever same loop Sydney/Melbourne to NZL and the limited stops there and back, are tired of the destination options.

Looking at the 2024/25 summer schedules for a number of cruise lines.

they all offer the same ish  SYD-NZL runs. There are VERY limited options of anything else on premium lines.

• Like 1

All of the above.

With higher service levels, they are a more expensive offering. This past year they have been discounting itineraries here, which used to be a rarity. 

Princess & Royal each have one less ship next season. There are lots more cruises in the bargain bin than ever before. No money, no ship.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, arxcards said:

All of the above.

With higher service levels, they are a more expensive offering. This past year they have been discounting itineraries here, which used to be a rarity. 

Princess & Royal each have one less ship next season. There are lots more cruises in the bargain bin than ever before. No money, no ship.

Probably all of the above but European companies are facing big fines if they don’t reduce carbon emissions.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, arxcards said:

All of the above.

I don't believe Cunard are any more expensive than Princess. Having just completed my first Princess cruise, I would say Cunard is better value and much better food and drinks.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LittleFish1976 said:

I don't believe Cunard are any more expensive than Princess. Having just completed my first Princess cruise, I would say Cunard is better value and much better food and drinks.

At brochure prices ex-Sydney, Cunard is normally a bit more expensive. Value is a bit different for everyone, and looking at Princess Plus vs Cunard payg or drink packages, Princess is cheaper for us. I have had great food on Princess & on Cunard. I have also had ordinary food on both.

Cunard withdrawing from Australia is as much about taking competition away from Princess & HAL as it is about Cunard having to discount to fill itineraries. Regardless of which Carnival brand, they would rather have 6 full ships out of Sydney instead of having to discount harder to fill 7 and having less corporate profit as a result.

• Like 6

5 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

It is a shame but perhaps they feel they can make better money including Asia as well. Relocation  cruises with stays at either end are becoming more popular  than doing the same cruise ports every 7-10 days.

Yes, I agree.  The only Cunard itinerary (apart from the short themed cruises) which would now entice us is the Australian circumnavigation, or legs of it.  We have this year enjoyed the NZ and Tas legs, and were actually looking forward to the circumnavigation, but not yet, as we have two cruises in Europe booked for next year.  We really like the idea of the repositioning cruises, but if Cunard will no longer be home berthing here, that will be out as well.  We loved the Cunard experience, and the food (admittedly in Queens Grill) was superb.  So glad now that we bit the bullet and tried it.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

It is a shame but perhaps they feel they can make better money including Asia as well.

It seems they're also ditching the Queen Elizabeth's annual Japan season as well which would normally take place between Aust/NZ and Alaska.

Apparently it's very popular (I'm already booked on it for 2024 and 2025) so it can't be that. Looks like they just want to do what makes the US market happy. They seem to like the QE for Alaska despite having so many other very popular choices for that region such as Princess. I guess they can charge higher prices per head in Alaska as it's such a niche market.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, LittleFish1976 said:

It seems they're also ditching the Queen Elizabeth's annual Japan season as well which would normally take place between Aust/NZ and Alaska.

Apparently it's very popular (I'm already booked on it for 2024 and 2025) so it can't be that. Looks like they just want to do what makes the US market happy. They seem to like the QE for Alaska despite having so many other very popular choices for that region such as Princess. I guess they can charge higher prices per head in Alaska as it's such a niche market.

Prices for Alaska (for North Americans) is pretty cheap. They save a Motza on fuel. That also helps with their own emission reduction requirements.

12 hours ago, arxcards said:

Prices for Alaska (for North Americans) is pretty cheap. They save a Motza on fuel. That also helps with their own emission reduction requirements.

I didn't know that cruises in Alaska were cheap - I had thought the opposite to be the case. It's not something that I would ever consider doing so I haven't looked into it. Thanks for the information.

Edited by LittleFish1976

On 11/4/2023 at 3:47 PM, arxcards said:

At brochure prices ex-Sydney, Cunard is normally a bit more expensive. Value is a bit different for everyone, and looking at Princess Plus vs Cunard payg or drink packages, Princess is cheaper for us. I have had great food on Princess & on Cunard. I have also had ordinary food on both.

Cunard withdrawing from Australia is as much about taking competition away from Princess & HAL as it is about Cunard having to discount to fill itineraries. Regardless of which Carnival brand, they would rather have 6 full ships out of Sydney instead of having to discount harder to fill 7 and having less corporate profit as a result.

I don't think Cunard is a real competitor to Princess. And I wouldn't have thought that HAL would be either having read reviews of their food etc.

I've just had my first Princess short cruise and I didn't think the food was anywhere near as good as Cunard. And the drinks were expensive and not to my taste (cocktails). Too little choice in wine. The people were lovely, the staff great and I had some fun with the people I met but the food is a deal-breaker for me.

49 minutes ago, LittleFish1976 said:

I don't think Cunard is a real competitor to Princess. And I wouldn't have thought that HAL would be either having read reviews of their food etc.

I've just had my first Princess short cruise and I didn't think the food was anywhere near as good as Cunard. And the drinks were expensive and not to my taste (cocktails). Too little choice in wine. The people were lovely, the staff great and I had some fun with the people I met but the food is a deal-breaker for me.

Itinerary driven, we will cruise on most lines. There are differences and there are similarities. Cunard is white glove service, but QM2 aside, comparable in so many other ways. I had my best ever breakfast at sea this morning. We find highlights in most cruises we do, regardless of what name is on the funnel. 

Whichever way, Carnival Corp will mix & match their overall fleet in order to profitably fill cabins, and they consider that a fair % of passengers will settle for 2nd prize. Basing a Cunard ship here was a luxury while our market was going gangsters. Make the most of it while it lasts.

• Like 4

Having been on QM2 in 2019, Syd to HK, I am well aware of the dress requirements.

However time to get real and I am sure a polo shirt and bow tie should be acceptable on formal nights. Or even ye olde Safari Suit as below. 

🤣

sahara-sky-blue-safari-suit-1.thumb.jpg.252d837df1e5f5c418fdc7d081f53dab.jpg

Edited by NSWP
  • Haha 3

The British gentleman we dined with on QE pre covid still wore his tie when gardening !!

He would be shocked at your suggestion Les. A bloke from Broken Hill suggested formal dress for him was long socks and clean shorts but was howled down when he enquired whether this was acceptable dining room attire on Cunard.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

Having been on QM2 in 2019, Syd to HK, I am well aware of the dress requirements.

However time to get real and I am sure a polo shirt and bow tie should be acceptable on formal nights. Or even ye olde Safari Suit as below. 

🤣

sahara-sky-blue-safari-suit-1.thumb.jpg.252d837df1e5f5c418fdc7d081f53dab.jpg

Les, you are hysterical.  Les and I have been chatting on the phone today about polo shirts and Cunard.  Is that you in the safari suit (in the future, of course)?

• Like 1