Wine packages

e&mcruise

A question re Cunard Wine packages.......

If you buy the 6 bottle or 12 bottle wine package......do you receive 20% off other drinks at the bar as per if you have the full beverage package for drinks over the $13.50(?) limit?

Can't decide whether to purchase a Beverage Package so as not to have to worry about end of cruise bill surprises.

We do like our wine but as we are in Queens Grill we will also have our MiniBar so at US$70 a day for the package it could be overkill.

Thanks in advance. 🙂

24 minutes ago, e&mcruise said:

If you buy the 6 bottle or 12 bottle wine package......do you receive 20% off other drinks at the bar as per if you have the full beverage package for drinks over the $13.50(?) limit?

No - the Captain/Commodore 6/12 bottle collection wine package is different from the per-day alcohol drinks package.  Interesting idea, though.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sfred said:

No - the Captain/Commodore 6/12 bottle collection wine package is different from the per-day alcohol drinks package.  Interesting idea, though.

Thanks sfred.

Thought I had read it somewhere but it would be a good idea. That way you could have a drink (not wine) during the day or after dinner at a slight discount as you have already bought the wine component.

It's not a good option.

Over the years, they have consistently reduced the package availability.

One of the options used to be champagne, but it disappeared, just like port, just like chateau neuf, and just like all other decent choices.

We used to take it, but it became less and less favourable.

@e&mcruise, you may have been thinking of discounts on Wine Academy activities. Here is what I am seeing in the Cunard Wine Collections brochure available on line.

"Not only do our collections offer great savings on wine, but by purchasing a collection you will also receive a range of discounts against Cunard Wine Academy activities and events during your voyage. Please present your voucher booklet to receive your discount. For further information about the Cunard Wine Academy activities taking place on your voyage please refer to the Daily Programme or speak with your restaurant Sommelier.

Captain’s Collection – receive a 10% discount on Cunard Wine Academy activities*

Commodore’s Collection – receive a 15% discount on Cunard Wine Academy activities*

*Discounts apply to all guests travelling in the same stateroom. Excludes WSET courses."

• Thanks 1

Just now, bluemarble said:

@e&mcruise, you may have been thinking of discounts on Wine Academy activities. Here is what I am seeing in the Cunard Wine Collections brochure available on line.

"Not only do our collections offer great savings on wine, but by purchasing a collection you will also receive a range of discounts against Cunard Wine Academy activities and events during your voyage. Please present your voucher booklet to receive your discount. For further information about the Cunard Wine Academy activities taking place on your voyage please refer to the Daily Programme or speak with your restaurant Sommelier.

Captain’s Collection – receive a 10% discount on Cunard Wine Academy activities*

Commodore’s Collection – receive a 15% discount on Cunard Wine Academy activities*

*Discounts apply to all guests travelling in the same stateroom. Excludes WSET courses."

Thanks blue marble, perhaps this is what I read and was thinking of. 🙂

46 minutes ago, e&mcruise said:

A question re Cunard Wine packages.......

Can't decide whether to purchase a Beverage Package so as not to have to worry about end of cruise bill surprises.

We do like our wine but as we are in Queens Grill we will also have our MiniBar so at US$70 a day for the package it could be overkill.

Thanks in advance. 🙂

The 'wine package' seems to be not so much a 'package' as a 'pack'.

It's just a certain number of bottles of wine bought at an apparently better price than buying separately (or the selection of wines may be superior).

Factor into the cost of the drinks package the water, soft drinks, other non-alcoholic drinks you may wish to consume when not in your cabin as well as coffee in the lounges and so on.

As for champagne, there was one English sparkling on the wine list which would have fallen within the price range of the package but they had none on board. There'll be a bottle of champagne, of sorts, in the Queens Grill cabin for you. The wines available via the wine list are more than acceptable in quality. The package also is inclusive of the 15% gratuity which is otherwise charged to all drink purchases, thereby increasing its attractiveness as a proposition.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, LittleFish1976 said:

... There'll be a bottle of champagne, of sorts, in the Queens Grill cabin for you...

We have had Laurent Perrier for the last couple of cruises. Whilst not a champagne lover, I would think it most acceptable.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BigMac1953 said:

It's not a good option.

Over the years, they have consistently reduced the package availability.

One of the options used to be champagne, but it disappeared, just like port, just like chateau neuf, and just like all other decent choices.

We used to take it, but it became less and less favourable.

I agree - we had a Commodore's package on the last cruise and the selection was very disappointing. No champagne, no rose and no dessert or port. I'm not sure I'd take a wine package again if I couldn't see what I was buying before hand. The brochure I was sent bore no relation to what was offered on board.

46 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

We have had Laurent Perrier for the last couple of cruises. Whilst not a champagne lover, I would think it most acceptable.

Of course Laurent Perrier is acceptable to most of us. What I found on my last Cunard voyage in my cabin which I didn't feel was acceptable was a very cheap French sparkling (it may have been labelled champagne) which I was assured by some here was a perfectly acceptable drop. I chose to just take their word for it and left it in the cabin for the steward or the next occupant.

That was in February of this year. The product is available at Aldi and retails for around $9 AUD from memory. That's around GBP4.50.

Cunard's last season here in Australia did indicate that it had little interest in preserving the satisfaction or loyalty of its clientele here. This is something I find difficult to reconcile with my preference for Cunard when it's at its best. From the reports I read and pictures I see of what is offerred on Northern hemisphere voyages, it proves to me they are offerring a better product there. It does seem an odd marketing choice though to sully your brand with inferior performance in one region even if removing the product from that region in the near future.

14 minutes ago, LittleFish1976 said:

Of course Laurent Perrier is acceptable to most of us. What I found on my last Cunard voyage in my cabin which I didn't feel was acceptable was a very cheap French sparkling (it may have been labelled champagne) which I was assured by some here was a perfectly acceptable drop. I chose to just take their word for it and left it in the cabin for the steward or the next occupant.

That was in February of this year. The product is available at Aldi and retails for around $9 AUD from memory. That's around GBP4.50.

Cunard's last season here in Australia did indicate that it had little interest in preserving the satisfaction or loyalty of its clientele here. This is something I find difficult to reconcile with my preference for Cunard when it's at its best. From the reports I read and pictures I see of what is offerred on Northern hemisphere voyages, it proves to me they are offerring a better product there. It does seem an odd marketing choice though to sully your brand with inferior performance in one region even if removing the product from that region in the near future.

Not acceptable.

As you know, there is a world of difference between French Sparkling [or any sparkling] and Champagne. Over the past few years, we have had Veuve, Delamotte  and Laurent Perrier. and have never had to ask for it.

Champagne is listed and champagne it should be whichever hemisphere the ship is in. Plus, I don't know any which retails for the price you indicated! 🙂

Words with the concierge should have sorted that out.

25 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

Not acceptable.

As you know, there is a world of difference between French Sparkling [or any sparkling] and Champagne. Over the past few years, we have had Veuve, Delamotte  and Laurent Perrier. and have never had to ask for it.

Champagne is listed and champagne it should be whichever hemisphere the ship is in. Plus, I don't know any which retails for the price you indicated! 🙂

Words with the concierge should have sorted that out.

On 2/19/2023 at 1:44 AM, LittleFish1976 said:

There is one thing I'm a bit salty about; instead of having a bottle of Laurent Perrier champagne waiting for me in my cabin as a 'Welcome Aboard' gift, I had a bottle of Kirkland champagne. I felt sure it was a supermarket I had seen somewhere, probably the UK but I've just looked it up and it's the Costco homebrand - $24.99.

I'd call that a cutback.

4 minutes ago, LittleFish1976 said:

I wasn't able to add any text below my re-posting of my post from months ago regarding the Not-Laurent-Perrier.

I was incorrect. It was $24.99* or around 13 quid. And Costco, not Aldi.

*currently $20

Edited by LittleFish1976

9 minutes ago, LittleFish1976 said:

I wasn't able to add any text below my re-posting of my post from months ago regarding the Not-Laurent-Perrier.

I was incorrect. It was $24.99* or around 13 quid. And Costco, not Aldi.

*currently $20

Why not name this mysterious liquid? After all, it’s not a Travel Agent.

11 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

Why not name this mysterious liquid? After all, it’s not a Travel Agent.

As per my re-post of my post naming it in February (see above), it was Kirkland champagne. I wouldn't have been able to remember what it was or I would most certainly have added its name earlier. The more important feature of what we are discussing though is what it isn't!

8 minutes ago, Host Hattie said:

The label might be off putting but it is Champagne 

https://www.reversewinesnob.com/kirkland-signature-champagne-brut

Thanks Hattie. Yes, I realise that anything labelled champagne is by law, actual champagne.

It seems that my disappointment that it was not Veuve or Laurent Perrier is unreasonable by some people's standards, or perhaps misunderstood. I drink very little and so am not looking for something that's okay; I'd rather not drink it at all unless I'm really going to enjoy it.

37 minutes ago, LittleFish1976 said:

Thanks Hattie. Yes, I realise that anything labelled champagne is by law, actual champagne.

It seems that my disappointment that it was not Veuve or Laurent Perrier is unreasonable by some people's standards, or perhaps misunderstood. I drink very little and so am not looking for something that's okay; I'd rather not drink it at all unless I'm really going to enjoy it.

Strangely, it must be said Kirkland could very well be the name of a TA. Kirkland Overseas Tours sounds very convincing. 😀 As to the champagne, this is probably just a matter of taste. I doubt very much I could tell the difference, not being used to the stuff. Indeed, almost the only champagne I drink is that supplied by Cunard. But every Christmas various newspapers do tastings of a variety of champagnes, and there are always a couple of supermarket own brand champagnes that do as well as the Grands Marques.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LittleFish1976 said:

I’m no connoisseur so am probably the last to comment on quality as champagne for the most part,  is champagne. If the champagne house onboard is x or y, it doesn’t seem unreasonable to expect a bottle in the cabin.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, LittleFish1976 said:

It was $24.99* or around 13 quid. And Costco, not Aldi.

*currently $20

The link Hattie posted is in USA, therefore priced in USD.

A few minutes ago $20 would equate to £16.17. Around £13?

In France I'd generally buy one of the "Cremants" as a better value option to Champagne. Our local hypermarket's own brand Cremant de Limoux Brut is one of our favourites.

"Méthode Traditionnelle" is the term used outside the Champagne region for the same process known as "Méthode Champenoise" for wines produced within.

In past run ups to Christmas we've had deals where cumulative discounts give us decent champagne normally costing around €30 for around €7.

It's also worth remembering that in blind taste tests, cheap supermarket champagnes often beat the big brand names.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, D&N said:

The link Hattie posted is in USA, therefore priced in USD.

A few minutes ago $20 would equate to £16.17. Around £13?

I didn't open the link Hattie added. I was quoting the price that I could see by doing a quick internet search in my local currency - AUD which has its equivalent in GBP as I quoted.

• Like 1