Semi live review Symphony Transatlantic

The UDP is a scam on SY. You cannot book your choice of restaurant nor time due to  overfill. RCI obviously overbooked the program. In Europe actually this is forbidden and cost hefty fines. UDP is not worth anything you just cannot book the venue you like to use. Waist of money.

• Thanks 1

So tonight we are at 150 again. Definitely the best food on the ship as far as I am concerned, however my first course was not great tonight - belly pork, fat not rendered enough so fatty rather than tasty, soft pork 😢 However the beef tenderloin made up for that - it was awesome. Tender and delicious. 

Cheese board was great too.

Remembered to take some pics 😂

IMG_9834.thumb.jpeg.e7ee207d996132d1781f8acc5109b520.jpegIMG_9835.thumb.jpeg.297fde0658a503c4d613df00972b7976.jpegIMG_9832.thumb.jpeg.7ac13aeefdf7dae7e4a616b932f9fef6.jpegMyIMG_9841.thumb.jpeg.943d2feee47e34f3894fc3a6cce56a3e.jpeg 

• Like 3

I'm following.  We're on Symphony for 6 days in December - it will be our first (and maybe only - we'll see - keeping an open mind) RC cruise.  We're on the Celebrity Apex right afterward, and so I booked the RC one to not fly across the country for one 7 day cruise.  I kind of figured if I'm going to try Royal, I might as well go on a really big ship.  (We sail X and Princess)

• Like 1

Busy day! 😎 Following our Playmakers lunch and flowrider watching, it was time to relax on our balconies and maybe read or nap!

Pre-dinner drinks in Vintages and dinner in Hooked. Tbh we were still so full after lunch but bravely fought on to eat oysters and lobster and salad and lobster roll. No desserts though 😂

Then onto the Ice Show which was fantastic and finishing the night (for me) with poker - which was profitable. 🥳IMG_9878.thumb.jpeg.7a8bc7feb9d4b0a12e1813aaae3ceef3.jpegIMG_9880.thumb.jpeg.2dab33179ed4aa631f46389502dfd712.jpegIMG_9881.thumb.jpeg.eb383814d0d9b7111bc91e2f2e80a670.jpeg

• Like 6

Just a quick note on disembarking in Fort Lauderdale. 

The schedule showed 7am for self getting off. We got in line at 5:45. They started at 6:15. 5 minutes thru immigration. Many, many cabs waiting. Got to the Brightline train station in 15 minutes. Tickets in hand and in the waiting room at about 6:45. 

Good cruise. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, pretzlaff said:

The schedule showed 7am for self getting off. We got in line at 5:45. They started at 6:15. 5 minutes thru immigration. Many, many cabs waiting. Got to the Brightline train station in 15 minutes. Tickets in hand and in the waiting room at about 6:45. 

Good cruise. 

Just spotted the ship on the webcam. Looks like you left her in good shape. 😂

On 11/10/2023 at 8:59 AM, Deeliteful said:

Busy day! 😎 Following our Playmakers lunch and flowrider watching, it was time to relax on our balconies and maybe read or nap!

Pre-dinner drinks in Vintages and dinner in Hooked. Tbh we were still so full after lunch but bravely fought on to eat oysters and lobster and salad and lobster roll. No desserts though 😂

Then onto the Ice Show which was fantastic and finishing the night (for me) with poker - which was profitable. 🥳IMG_9878.thumb.jpeg.7a8bc7feb9d4b0a12e1813aaae3ceef3.jpegIMG_9880.thumb.jpeg.2dab33179ed4aa631f46389502dfd712.jpegIMG_9881.thumb.jpeg.eb383814d0d9b7111bc91e2f2e80a670.jpeg

Does Hooked replace the Portside Barbaque that is on the Oasis?

On 11/10/2023 at 9:13 AM, abbydancer said:

I'm following.  We're on Symphony for 6 days in December - it will be our first (and maybe only - we'll see - keeping an open mind) RC cruise.  We're on the Celebrity Apex right afterward, and so I booked the RC one to not fly across the country for one 7 day cruise.  I kind of figured if I'm going to try Royal, I might as well go on a really big ship.  (We sail X and Princess)

Imho Symphony is far better than Apex!!

Not enough bars or variety on Apex and please let us know if you find a comfy chair anywhere on the ship!!!

However the Rockumentary show is one of the best I have ever seen on a cruise 

Sorry for butting in. 

Edited by little britain

1 hour ago, little britain said:

Imho Symphony is far better than Apex!!

Not enough bars or variety on Apex and please let us know if you find a comfy chair anywhere on the ship!!!

However the Rockumentary show is one of the best I have ever seen on a cruise 

Sorry for butting in. 

I'll be blogging both cruises.  It's my first time on both ships, and my only experience on X's E class was a couple of days on the Edge when she was new.

6 hours ago, pretzlaff said:

Good cruise. 

Regrettably, it wasn't good for B2B passengers.

B2B passengers were all inside the Royal Theater before 9am...our passports checked, new seapass cards given, then told to sit down.

An hour and a half later at approxinately 10:30am, passengers were asked to be patient as ship's drills were being conducted.

At approximately 11am, we were finally instructed to go to Deck 5, gangway. We waited again, our old seapass cards taken on our way out.

A long queue formed as we all waited for Customs/Immigration in the terminal...a quick passport check and we were guided back to the front of the terminal.

Then a lady instructed all B2B passengers to sit down and wait.

At approximately 11:35am, we were instructed to walk towards the gangway and onto the ship. Another queue formed as passengers were stopped on Deck 5...new seapass cards were checked "Ting-in", passports checked again, and photos taken. (Someone yelled "Why didn't you take our f******g pictures while we waited for 2 hours in the theater!!!?")

It was approximately 12:15pm when we made it back on the ship.

* Two weeks ago, the B2B procedure in Barcelona took all of 42 seconds.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, bonsai3s said:

B2B passengers were all inside the Royal Theater before 9am...our passports checked, new seapass cards given, then told to sit down.

An hour and a half later at approxinately 10:30am, passengers were asked to be patient as ship's drills were being conducted.

At approximately 11am, we were finally instructed to go to Deck 5, gangway. We waited again, our old seapass cards taken on our way out.

A long queue formed as we all waited for Customs/Immigration in the terminal...a quick passport check and we were guided back to the front of the terminal.

At approximately 11:35am, we were instructed to walk towards the gangway and onto the ship. Another queue formed as passengers were stopped on Deck 5...new seapass cards were checked "Ting-in", passports checked again, and photos taken. (Someone yelled "Why didn't you take our f******g pictures while we waited for 2 hours in the theater!!!?")

To clarify ...So nobody else boarded before 12:15 ? Or 

Others were boarding way ahead of you ? 

If it's the latter I would be truly P!$$#D

Cheers

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bonsai3s said:

Stuff happens. Not much use to scream foul language. You sound like a fun group!

5 hours ago, bonsai3s said:

Wasn’t everyone super chill from a quiet trans Atlantic crossing?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, LobsterStalker said:

To clarify ...So nobody else boarded before 12:15 ? Or 

Others were boarding way ahead of you ? 

If it's the latter I would be truly P!$$#D

Cheers

No one else boarded before us...cheers.

11 minutes ago, bonsai3s said:

I didn't say a single word. If you knew me, you would know I'm a very quiet person.

Of course I do not know you. I was basing my comment on your need to post this: (Someone yelled "Why didn't you take our f******g pictures while we waited for 2 hours in the theater!!!?")

We have done many B2B and B3B cruises. Every change over is different!  Many things are out of the control of the staff. We cruise to relax so we go with the flow. Getting any group all spun up, screaming and yelling isn't good.

49 minutes ago, LordBeavis said:

Wasn’t everyone super chill from a quiet trans Atlantic crossing?

Most of us were.

I actually slept inside the theater while waiting.

* Just wanted to let others know the difference between B2B procedures between Barcelona and Fort Lauderdale.

Brief Summary:

Barcelona= no customs/immigration = 42 seconds.

Fort Lauderdale = with customs/immigration = 3 hrs and 15 minutes.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, fredmdcruisers said:

Of course I do not know you. I was basing my comment on your need to post this: (Someone yelled "Why didn't you take our f******g pictures while we waited for 2 hours in the theater!!!?")

We have done many B2B and B3B cruises. Every change over is different!  Many things are out of the control of the staff. We cruise to relax so we go with the flow. Getting any group all spun up, screaming and yelling 

Agree.

Just had another wonderful filet at CK.

We cruise to relax...B5B.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, fredmdcruisers said:

We have done many B2B and B3B cruises. Every change over is different!  Many things are out of the control of the staff. We cruise to relax so we go with the flow. Getting any group all spun up, screaming and yelling isn't good.

They are reporting the news, not making it. A bit salty but that sort of detail adds life to a review and conveys the stress and frustration going on.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

On 11/6/2023 at 8:23 PM, TheHawk1 said:

Everyone has a different idea of the perfect cruise vacation.  I wouldn't take even a free vacation on a ship as small as Jewel, as I know I would be bored to tears.  I just finished a Mediterranean cruise on Symphony, my second time on this ship after a Caribbean cruise in 2020 pre lockdown.  After two sailings, I think this is the best Oasis class ship in the fleet (and I've been on all five).

Can you please say what makes Symphony the best Oasis class ship? I am considering  both Symphony and Wonder.

4 hours ago, magnus1977 said:

Can you please say what makes Symphony the best Oasis class ship? I am considering  both Symphony and Wonder.

For me, it’s the 🖼️ art! Mad I know. Wonder feels a bit “cheap” in her finishing - they sue obviously cut corners in installations to save a few $$. However Mason Jar is superb. 

Edited by little britain

10 hours ago, magnus1977 said:

I'm not saying I don't like the Wonder, as I had a great time on it.  But being on Symphony recently reminded me of why I thought it was slightly better.

First Wonder is more crowded, as they have added more cabins on only a slightly larger ship, so you will notice there are more people in common areas and around the pool when it is full.

The entertainment is better on Symphony, with Hairspray and a great ice show and aqua show.  On Wonder, they have no Broadway show, but a Royal in-house main theatre show Effectors II, which is really bad and the rock music for the aqua show takes away from the performance.

I was also not a fan of the enclosed Solarium on Wonder. It was so hot during our cruise, that it felt like a greenhouse. I was on the ship when it was brand new and my sense is the crew didn't understand how to operate it. I've seen reviews since that say the temperature seems to be fine.

So to finish off my short review - final day was Nassau and we had chosen Rui Palace via Resorts for a Day.

Unfortunately there were 4 ships in port that day so it was very crowded. We enjoyed relaxing in the shade and the plentiful drinks but food was mediocre at best. Pools were crowded and weren’t for swimming.

We went back to finish packing and get ready for our final night dinner and drinks.

Getting back to the ship we realised we had left our driving licences behind the desk (they keep photo ID with them until you leave) 😱 Thank goodness I didn’t take my passport.

Luckily Anne called the hotel and they have fed ex them to her!

Pre dinner drinks at Vintages and dinner at 150 again, fabulous food and service.

An early night. We both had late times to disembark - 9.30 but OMG it was a real sh1t show, the worst debark I’ve had that’s for sure.

Despite being able to get off at both aft and forward, the queues then funnelled into one loooooooong queue and we’re kept waiting in the walkway with no aircon and a nightmare for most people but worse for those with mobility issues.

Finally, overall a great cruise with amazing food in the restaurants when we finally got them booked. 
It was noisy, the promenade music was LOUD! 95dcb I understand. As I said earlier it’s not the ship for me but I can understand why people would love it.

Pics to follow.

Won’t be cruising for a while as have a trip to Spain in January, Costa Rica in March and Vegas in June, so maybe another TA at the end of next year.

Happy cruising, happy Thanksgiving and Happy Christmas everyone.

Edited by Deeliteful
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1