Voom internet pre-cruise purchase

gizbug

put this in another thread BUT no answers:

I have always used a wireless travel Router at Hotels (TP-Link AC750 Travel Router) as I do not like being ‘open’ on wireless connections.

I read somewhere that many ships, even with Starlink, had very poor connectivity in your stateroom? 

I’m will be more aft on the 12th floor on Symphony and want to make sure that I actually would get connectivity without a problem… as I do most of my on-line work in my cabin and if the connection is bad… would not buy the daily package.

Anyone have experiences?

37 minutes ago, Happytime22 said:

I have always used a wireless travel Router at Hotels (TP-Link AC750 Travel Router) as I do not like being ‘open’ on wireless connections.

I read somewhere that many ships, even with Starlink, had very poor connectivity in your stateroom? 

I’m will be more aft on the 12th floor on Symphony and want to make sure that I actually would get connectivity without a problem… as I do most of my on-line work in my cabin and if the connection is bad… would not buy the daily package.

Anyone have experiences?

I’ve always had good connectivity in my room (including on 2 Oasis sailings and one on the 12th floor forward of Adventure), but not always good speed. This pre-Starlink but I don’t think the Starlink changed anything about their router placements. Also no problems using my travel router. I can’t speak to Symphony specifically though.

Edited by fizzywm

On 11/12/2023 at 3:59 AM, Grandma Petania said:

Thank you PigsCanFly and fizzywm for your Very Helpful Answers!

the actual travel router we bought was tp-link AC750 wifi.  The box I mentioned was the same shape as the real one and I may have had a few practice drinks when I sent that message.  The rest of what I said was right.

I have a kid who will be 15 on the cruise and I don't think she realizes there won't be wifi unless we pay... I can make do without internet but not sure she can. Was thinking of buying for one device and trying the wifi hub technique mentioned here... Kid can use the 1 device when we're not in the room I'd say. One device is $140 and to add the second (same user) takes it up to $230...

On 11/12/2023 at 3:54 PM, Happytime22 said:

Anyone have experiences?

We will be on Anthem in 2 weeks and will be using the same travel router from our room,  We used it on HAL Zuiderdam in September with no issues. On Anthem we will be very close to the aft elevators, so I expect decent connectivity.

3 hours ago, breathesgelatin said:

I have a kid who will be 15 on the cruise and I don't think she realizes there won't be wifi unless we pay... I can make do without internet but not sure she can. Was thinking of buying for one device and trying the wifi hub technique mentioned here... Kid can use the 1 device when we're not in the room I'd say. One device is $140 and to add the second (same user) takes it up to $230...

It used to be very reasonable to get the 4-device package and share it with three others, but Royal got wind of it and jacked up the prices.

3 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

Pricing for internet is becoming ridiculous. It is $28.99 for a single device on Odyssey this week.

I think that's the on board price.

Biker, who wonders if RCI would raise the price above what on board is and if folks would buy even at the level.

Edited by Biker19

Sort of unrelated question: my family of 5 turned Diamond but haven't cruised since. With Diamond you get 1 free day of internet usage. Now, we have 5 free days to use that I probably want to rotate to my kids at sea days. How does activating the "free day" work, especially for minors (my kids)?

1 hour ago, exm said:

How does activating the "free day" work, especially for minors (my kids)?

When they login and attempt to buy the 24 hour package, there should be a zero-cost option to do so. The Voom staff should be able to activate the package if the kids are under the age limit to have their own accounts.

• Like 1

On 11/26/2023 at 2:04 PM, breathesgelatin said:

I'm on the December 31 sailing of Harmony out of Galveston. I'm getting $19.99/day internet offer. That's not likely to go down I guess? Thinking of booking today...

We are on the sailing after you and it hasn't dropped that low for us in a while. Currently $20.99

Edited by cmich068
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

Pricing for internet is becoming ridiculous. It is $28.99 for a single device on Odyssey this week.

It has been like this for about a year on all ships.

For our upcoming 11 day cruise we will use one of our 2 free days D+ discount and then buy remainder of the cruise with 2 free days discount. It is still better for 11 days cruise than $17.99  per day precruise.  🙂

On 11/8/2023 at 4:16 PM, cruiseguy1016 said:

This is the way to go if you both don't need to be on at the same time. You can use unlimited number of devices on the one account but only one device can be logged on at a time.

This is what I always do.

6 hours ago, Biker19 said:

I think that's the on board price.

Biker, who wonders if RCI would raise the price above what on board is and if folks would buy even at the level.

It is the on board price. I said the price *ON* Odyssey this week.

• 3 months later...
17 minutes ago, JC in CA said:

I have some OBC already showing.  Does anyone know if I can use that credit toward VOOM?

thanks,

Jerie

Sure. You can use it pre-cruise in the cruise planner or toward a purchase once on the ship.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

Sure. You can use it pre-cruise in the cruise planner or toward a purchase once on the ship.

Right now its 25% off not sure what it would be once you are on the ship.

I am not sure how long the 25% off will last , I have in the past gotten 40% and 30% off.

I might have to pull the trigger on this , if it goes lower I can cancel and rebook it.

Edited by TheMiz
  • Like 1