triple up sale

debnjoe1438

Ok, this has been a really informative thread. I have one last question, I think I have formulated my purchase plan on board so I will run it past you all, since many of you have experience here. Thanks a bunch in advance.

First stipulation, I currently have the American Express NCL deal on my credit card, which is spend $1000, get $200 back. The reason I mention this is that I hope this can be used alongside this deal.

Plan, on the Breakaway at the end of the month, buy 8x $125 cruisenext coupons. Total cost $1000.

IMPORTANT: Refuse OBC offer at the time (I presume I just state that outright to the consultant there at the time? I have no interest in OBC value, just future x2 cruise reservation use)

Result = When I arrive home from my cruise, I should have an email containing 8 $250 cruisenext credits, totaling $2000 towards upcoming cruises(s). (understand I can only use up to x3 per cruise, if they have a triple up offer etc).

Bonus? = Because I spent $1000 on the cruisenext vouchers purchase don board, this is trigger my American Express deal, giving me $200 statement credit back. So at the end of the day when all is said and done, I will have spent $800 real world money, for $2000 worth of cruise credit for future trips.

Could you all confirm, or rather whoever wants to comment, ha, does that all sound viable and correct?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, joydivision84 said:

Ok, this has been a really informative thread. I have one last question, I think I have formulated my purchase plan on board so I will run it past you all, since many of you have experience here. Thanks a bunch in advance.

First stipulation, I currently have the American Express NCL deal on my credit card, which is spend $1000, get $200 back. The reason I mention this is that I hope this can be used alongside this deal.

Plan, on the Breakaway at the end of the month, buy 8x $125 cruisenext coupons. Total cost $1000.

IMPORTANT: Refuse OBC offer at the time (I presume I just state that outright to the consultant there at the time? I have no interest in OBC value, just future x2 cruise reservation use)

Result = When I arrive home from my cruise, I should have an email containing 8 $250 cruisenext credits, totaling $2000 towards upcoming cruises(s). (understand I can only use up to x3 per cruise, if they have a triple up offer etc).

Bonus? = Because I spent $1000 on the cruisenext vouchers purchase don board, this is trigger my American Express deal, giving me $200 statement credit back. So at the end of the day when all is said and done, I will have spent $800 real world money, for $2000 worth of cruise credit for future trips.

Could you all confirm, or rather whoever wants to comment, ha, does that all sound viable and correct?

The only warning I’d give you is that technically the Amex offer does not apply to purchases made onboard, which would include the purchase of the CruiseNexts.  I don’t know how they determine if a purchase was made onboard, vs. through NCL.com.  I don’t think I’d take the chance.

I had the same dilemma last month.  I ended up buying $1000 of OBC through NCL.com for my cruise that month.  It is refundable credit that can be used to buy the CNs.  I got the $200 credit on the Amex card.  In my case, I also have a NCL MC, which I prefer to use for onboard expenses because I get 3 points for every dollar spent.  The purchased OBC can be cashed out on the last full day of the cruise.  So I waited and cashed out the credit that morning, then purchased the CNs, which were charged to the NCL card.  Net effect was that I got the $200 and an additional 3% when I purchased the CNs.

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Smitheroo said:

You can, but not for the promo in effect at the time I wanted to use it  When I purchased them I was allowed to use 2 on any cabin.  When I got around to booking, it was for balcony and up

Thanks.  The two for any cabin should return at some point soon.  It seems like it comes around every month or two.

2 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Thanks.  The two for any cabin should return at some point soon.  It seems like it comes around every month or two.

It's returning next week according to "people who know" (I actually saw a photo of a document stating so either here or on FB).

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Russiamomm said:

The only warning I’d give you is that technically the Amex offer does not apply to purchases made onboard, which would include the purchase of the CruiseNexts.  I don’t know how they determine if a purchase was made onboard, vs. through NCL.com.  I don’t think I’d take the chance.

I had the same dilemma last month.  I ended up buying $1000 of OBC through NCL.com for my cruise that month.  It is refundable credit that can be used to buy the CNs.  I got the $200 credit on the Amex card.  In my case, I also have a NCL MC, which I prefer to use for onboard expenses because I get 3 points for every dollar spent.  The purchased OBC can be cashed out on the last full day of the cruise.  So I waited and cashed out the credit that morning, then purchased the CNs, which were charged to the NCL card.  Net effect was that I got the $200 and an additional 3% when I purchased the CNs.

Very clever. Good idea. I guess I could duplicate what you did then? Minus the NCL credit card which I don't own/have.

So I could, purchase $1000 OBC from NCL.COM prior to my cruise, then whilst on board spend that $1000 OBC in its entirety on 8x $125 cruisenext vouchers, refuse OBC, and when I am home I should have $2000 worth of cruisenext vouchers and $200 back from Amex? I could just do that right? 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, joydivision84 said:

Very clever. Good idea. I guess I could duplicate what you did then? Minus the NCL credit card which I don't own/have.

So I could, purchase $1000 OBC from NCL.COM prior to my cruise, then whilst on board spend that $1000 OBC in its entirety on 8x $125 cruisenext vouchers, refuse OBC, and when I am home I should have $2000 worth of cruisenext vouchers and $200 back from Amex? I could just do that right? 

Right.  But I wouldn’t bother with “refusing” the OBC from the CN.  It’s all a marketing ploy.  The “OBC” you get for the CNs is applied against the cost of the CNs.  Net cost would be $1000 regardless, which would be paid for with the purchased credit you bought in advance.  Just not worth the argument with the the CN folks.  It’s all a shell game.  Just don’t believe the myth that you have to spend the OBC you got on other stuff.  You don’t.  You will be charged $1000 net.

Edited by Russiamomm
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Smitheroo said:

You can, but not for the promo in effect at the time I wanted to use it  When I purchased them I was allowed to use 2 on any cabin.  When I got around to booking, it was for balcony and up

FYI, DoubleUp for any cabin will be in effect next week, through the 27th.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, hallux said:

@Smitheroo did you know that you can quote multiple people in a single post?  The little + sign adds that post to your quote list, then you can click to add them all in one reply.

I've been on CC for a gazillion years and never knew this. 

Turns out you CAN teach an old dog new tricks.

Edited by schmoopie17
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Russiamomm said:

Right.  But I wouldn’t bother with “refusing” the OBC from the CN.  It’s all a marketing ploy.  The “OBC” you get for the CNs is applied against the cost of the CNs.  Net cost would be $1000 regardless, which would be paid for with the purchased credit you bought in advance.  Just not worth the argument with the the CN folks.  It’s all a shell game.  Just don’t believe the myth that you have to spend the OBC you got on other stuff.  You don’t.  You will be charged $1000 net.

Oh ok, sorry one last question, if we get on board and don't really enjoy ourselves, at least enough to warrant going with NCL again and buying cruisenext vouchers etc, we could just go to customer service on the last day of the cruise and ask for out $1000 worth of OBC to be returned to us in cash?

That's right yeah?

I presume it will be $1000 minus some small amount (tax on drinks in ports etc), as I presume when you have OBC purchased, that is used up before your credit card on file is used. So even though we plan to spend nil on board, a small amount is unavoidable (tax) and that will come off the OBC before our credit card?

7 minutes ago, joydivision84 said:

Oh ok, sorry one last question, if we get on board and don't really enjoy ourselves, at least enough to warrant going with NCL again and buying cruisenext vouchers etc, we could just go to customer service on the last day of the cruise and ask for out $1000 worth of OBC to be returned to us in cash?

That's right yeah?

I presume it will be $1000 minus some small amount (tax on drinks in ports etc), as I presume when you have OBC purchased, that is used up before your credit card on file is used. So even though we plan to spend nil on board, a small amount is unavoidable (tax) and that will come off the OBC before our credit card?

Correct.  I cashed out just under $900 the last day.  The $100+ I spent was little things - taxes on drinks, duty free and Starbucks.  I also had another $100 of nonrefundable OBC from owning the stock.  It’s used before the refundable credit.  

I do have to warn you.  I was first in line and nearly wiped them out.  They’re not used to refunding that much cash.  If they don’t have it they may ask you to come back later.  😂

Edited by Russiamomm
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Smitheroo said:

I think in many cases the person might not even realize their style of writing might be inflammatory. But the end result is the same as it were.  

I apologize if my posts to your questions came off inflammatory as that is never my intent--especially since I have been the recipient of a very harsh comment once from the resident know it all. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, vacation44 said:

I apologize if my posts to your questions came off inflammatory as that is never my intent--especially since I have been the recipient of a very harsh comment once from the resident know it all. 

I dont recall that yours came across that way.  There were just a few that were harsh