HOTEL in SINGAPORE

Vallesan

I was looking at the Fullerton Quayside, boutique type hotel transformed from historic ?post office. Reasonably priced, pool, appears to be central location. The Fullerton also has option in Marina Bay, but rooms were about $125 more per night. Other option was Intercontinental. 

1 hour ago, CardowMD said:

I was looking at the Fullerton Quayside, boutique type hotel transformed from historic ?post office. Reasonably priced, pool, appears to be central location. The Fullerton also has option in Marina Bay, but rooms were about $125 more per night. Other option was Intercontinental. 

Fullerton is much larger than a boutique hotel and is fabulous. Ask for a quay view.

Some of the scenes from "Crazy Rich Asians" were shot outside the hotel.

image.thumb.png.e2d6c92af1d24ff640d53d68d5e422de.png

13 minutes ago, Hambagahle said:

We have stayed at the Shangri La many many times since 1972 and I would not stay anywhere else.  First time we were in Singapore we stayed at Raffles - which was OK.  But no more...

Interesting!

Yes our first trip in 1993 was to the Pan Pacific which I didn’t like. We’ve stayed in the Hyatt near to Tangs, The Swissotel on a stop over, meeh!, the Shangri-La in Sentosa which was OK but we do still love Orange Grove Rd! The first time we stayed they had the most amazing sculpture in the foyer … made from butter!

Thinking that this will probably be our last trip to Singapore, last long haul even, and just thought maybe a change would be good.

But the hotel is lovely and I guess if it ain’t broken …..

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CardowMD said:

The hotel does look interesting but I think I might just stick with the Shangri-La especially after Hambagahles’s  reply.

Maybe you should take a look at the Shangri-La???
We usually take a pool room and upgrade to the club ….  not fussy on the club rooms.

40 minutes ago, Vallesan said:

Interesting!

Yes our first trip in 1993 was to the Pan Pacific which I didn’t like. We’ve stayed in the Hyatt near to Tangs, The Swissotel on a stop over, meeh!, the Shangri-La in Sentosa which was OK but we do still love Orange Grove Rd! The first time we stayed they had the most amazing sculpture in the foyer … made from butter!

Thinking that this will probably be our last trip to Singapore, last long haul even, and just thought maybe a change would be good.

But the hotel is lovely and I guess if it ain’t broken …..

Exactly!  I love the Garden Wing (have stayed in all three and when we were first there there was only one building anyway).  And I simply adore "The Line".  Strange to say I know that a self service restaurant would be great...but it is!  Also the location is perfect.  Easy walk to the top of Orchard Road, not far from Tanglin Road and the Botanical Garcens.

This may not be everyone's idea of a good place but we loved it in March 2023 after our cruise ended in Singapore. We stayed at the Indigo in Katong on a breakfast-included rate. Very 'modern' and artsy interior, the bathrooms are on the outside window wall, you're on the edge of a historic neighborhood, the subway and bus lines are all right there and there's a mall next door.  Slightly more adventurous than Raffles or Fullerton - and a lot less expensive

We did visit Raffles, the dining is open to anyone who wants to make a reservation and we very much enjoyed BBR in its prior incarnation Osteria. Yes we had a Singapore Sling at the Long Bar, had to do it once lol!

2 hours ago, Joywrk said:

We have stayed on club floors at both the Intercontinental and the Conrad and both were excellent

Both chain hotels (as the Shangri La is now). DIfference is that the SL was the first ever hotel in that group.  And so very "singapore".

I'm booked at the Park Royal Marina Bay.  Now I am going to look at the Shangri La to see what all the fuss is about.  I just want something central since this is my first trip to Singapore and I'd like to see everything that I can pre-cruise.

9 minutes ago, babydrum said:

I'm booked at the Park Royal Marina Bay.  Now I am going to look at the Shangri La to see what all the fuss is about.  I just want something central since this is my first trip to Singapore and I'd like to see everything that I can pre-cruise.

Hope you are staying for a good few days …. there’s so much to see!

6 hours ago, Torquer said:

It doesn't seem like this topic has anything to do with Oceania.  It seems like this would be a better place for this discussion:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/43-asia/

Sorry!

Hope this topic isn’t taking up too much precious space!

Actually we are sailing on the Riviera from Singapore and just thought that as this is an ‘Oceania’ board, some of the 1200 people likely to be on board would be reading these threads too!

29 minutes ago, seascot said:

We are sailing on Riviera from Singapore, too and find this thread very helpful.  We have our hotel booked, but are always open to new suggestions.

January 28th?

The lobby in the Shangri-La is quite stunning and the pool area is like an oasis in the desert. There’s an amazing buffet restaurant, The Line, which has serving stations from every nation, but I just find it a bit noisy.

The club is much, much calmer for breakfast.

Thinking about it I’m not sure why I was looking for somewhere else to stay!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, HilsTas said:

We are sailing from Singapore on the Nautica - very interested in hotel recommendations thanks.  

The Fullerton looks interesting - we generally look for smaller boutiquey type hotels, so any suggestions appreciated.

The Fullerton does look good although we’ve not stayed there. 
I guess a lot depends on whether you’ve been to Singapore before, what your interests are. For example if you like to ‘shop’ The Shangri-La is close to Orchard Road and there’s a shuttle service. Also the Hyatt or the Marriott are close to Tangs on Orchard Road.
If sightseeing is your main aim then staying close to an MTR station is a good idea.The transport system in Singapore  is great.

• Like 1

Thank you everyone for all of these suggestions! I was looking at Trip Advisor for suggestions to start. Will depend on how many days I go before a cruise as to location and I have never been to Singapore. Goal is to get over jet lag from east coast US while exploring. Do they have any kind of Hop on Hop off tours to get a lay of the land? I will probably be traveling solo, so some type of tour would be helpful.

On 11/9/2023 at 12:27 PM, Joywrk said:

We have stayed on club floors at both the Intercontinental and the Conrad and both were excellent

We recently stayed at the Intercontinental with club access and loved it. On an upcoming trip we are booked at the Conrad so glad to hear that it was excellent as well

On 11/10/2023 at 7:34 AM, Vallesan said:

Sorry!

Hope this topic isn’t taking up too much precious space!

Actually we are sailing on the Riviera from Singapore and just thought that as this is an ‘Oceania’ board, some of the 1200 people likely to be on board would be reading these threads too!

Are you on the April 28 sailing to Dubai? If so, we’ll see you onboard!

5 hours ago, Vallesan said:

The Fullerton does look good although we’ve not stayed there. 
I guess a lot depends on whether you’ve been to Singapore before, what your interests are. For example if you like to ‘shop’ The Shangri-La is close to Orchard Road and there’s a shuttle service. Also the Hyatt or the Marriott are close to Tangs on Orchard Road.
If sightseeing is your main aim then staying close to an MTR station is a good idea.The transport system in Singapore  is great.

Absolutely spot on for the advice of knowing what your interests are.  And asking yourself what your desires are for your hotel.

Have been to Singapore a number of times and am an old hand at the MRT system.  So I tend to stay near a station to make life quick and easy.  Also, I'm pretty low maintenance, so I don't need extensive concierge services for a city I know fairly well.  Your needs may vary from that.

One big consideration is that a number of those convenient hotels also have rooms that are the size of a broom closet.  So be sure to research through a travel site that gives the size of the room.  Also, look into prepaid hotel rates vs a simple reservation - you can often save up to 50% of your lodging cost by pre-paying your stay.

Hotels that are right on top of MRT stations include the Swisshotel Stamford, the Dorsett, JW Marriott and Fairmont.

• Thanks 1