Better ship or better itinerary??

doolfan

For Alaska, the ports matter more. I went last summer on a different popular cruise line (based on dates and prices) and I don't remember the ship at all, just the scenery. 

When I do Caribbean, I want the nicer ship (or Haven now if I can get a deal) becuase all the ports don't stand out to me much anymore. A Caribbean cruise for me is now more about relaxing than sightseeing. 

I booked Alaska for next summer and if I can get the Haven to work out, great, if not, it's Alaska and I'm happy to be there on my regular old balcony. 

• Like 1

Agree 100% with @Monica887Itinerary is #1 by far in Alaska.
6 years ago we asked 3 different TA’s the OP’s same question: if we only get to Alaska once (for a land and cruise tour), how should we do it? We had already been on 3 lines (once each) and none stood out. 

The unanimous answer was Princess so we went with that.  The land portion was seamless and very good, as everything was ‘in house’.  The cruise? We still don’t remember much about the ship (Royal Princess) amenities but sure remember countless hours on our balcony and deck areas taking in the non-stop views, along with all the ports and excursions.
Overall the ship experience was ‘meh’ and the Princess atmosphere wasn’t for us, but it was still a great cruise because we were in Alaska!

After 3 cruises since then and 3 more booked, all on NCL in Haven, we have a B2B (NB/SB) booked on NCL non-Haven in ‘25.  We’ll be on our balcony, on deck or an excursion: that’s our Alaska entertainment! 
Go to Alaska for the experiences, not the ship: they’ll all do a good job keeping you warm, fed and appropriately hydrated.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I can always remember where I've been and what I saw there, I usually need to lookup which ship I was on what hotel I stayed at. So itinerary for me every time, because the ship is what it is - your transportation and accommodations, not the destination. 

I know people go for balconies on Alaska cruise, and I certainly get why for parts of it, but you really want to be on deck when in places like Glacier Bay so you can move from one side of the ship to another, and experience that wider view, see more sky, feel more out in the open. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Seven for us.  All NCL.  Pearl, Encore, Bliss and Sun.  All but the Sun were Glacier Bay.  The Sun was Hubbard Glacier, which was spectacular.  Many times, it is foggy/icy and the ships can't get close.  Ours in July was sunny and clear.  I think that the fiord walls are more interesting than the glacier itself.  We have five visits to AK planned for next year. 😎

After many cruises the NCL Sun holds a special place in my heart.   We sailed 2 cruises a total of 25 days in the same aft suite.  

Two awesome cruises. 

• Like 3

I think much of the “gotta have a balcony” feeling is from ships where common space was not as nice as it is on the current ships.  Our first AK was on Vision f the Seas, RCL, and we did have a balcony but to appreciate the full vista you needed to be outside or in an observation lounge.   Some cruises we didn’t spend much time on the balcony because of the weather, other time# it was delightful and we bundled up and enjoyed every minute with a nice cup of coffe, or adult beverage.  The weather is unpredictable in AK, but spend the money where it best suits your budget.  I would say, a “must” is doing an air tour, either float plane or helicopter.  You can’t comprehend the massiveness (is that a word) of AK until yo u see if from the air.  Our favorite was Michelle with Island Wings (hmmmm?  Ketchikan, I think) float plane, she flew the glaciers and waterways where we saw orcas and she circled until everyone had their picture, she set us down on an alpine lake (men’s rom behind that tree, ladies behind the big rocks). It was delightful.  Such a nice lady and so very knowledgeable.  We also did an excursion to Taku(?) Lodge where we toured the glaciers and he set us down in a river in front of a glacier at a lodge for a wonderful meal of grilled salmon, fresh blueberry cobbler and steamed apples.    We could wander through a bit of alpine forest with a provided mosquito zapper.  The foliage was beyond words.  Almost prehIstoric.   Then back to the ship.  Another favorite is George’s Inlet crab feast.  All the crab y🦀 u can eat in a jovial, sometimes competitive atmosphere - people stack the carapaces of the crabs and they come round with a yard stick to measure.  We happened to have 2 engineer SILs with us so this was cutthroat (we won). So much fun.  Check out tours beyond the ships offerings, you will save money, most likely, and have a more personal experience.  AK is a world of oohs and ahhh, give yourself the opportunity to experience that on something other than a 40 person tour bus.  Enjoy, my friend!

Edited by MagnoliaBlossom
  • Like 3

Lots of good info here. I have been trying to decide between Alaska and Bermuda for my next cruise, and between Bliss and Encore for Alaska.

Finally decided tonight it will be Alaska on Encore.

After my first NCL cruise a few months ago I knew I didn't want to cruise on Carnival to Alaska and didn't want to try a new line.

I'm feeling good that I made the right choice.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, SomewhereGirl said:

Encore sails to Glacier Bay and Skagway.  Encore is the younger (newer) sister of Bliss.

As for NCL not being recommended for Alaska, that usually comes from HAL and Princess fans who have never sailed NCL, and say that HAL and Princess "know how to do Alaska" because they've been there longer, even though NCL has been sailing to Alaska for over 20 years.  NCL will also have a park ranger on board for Glacier Bay so that's a non-factor.

As someone who has sailed all three lines, I would still say HAL or Princess is the best for Alaska. NCL may have been sailing Alaska for over 20 years but HAL has been sailing there since before it was even a state. Over 70 years!

Generally the smaller the ship the better for Alaska so I’ve chosen HAL both times I’ve been but I’d still chose Princess over NCL as I find they have a nicer product with less up charges. 

My uncle just sailed Alaska with Regent and raved about it so if the OP is considering the Haven maybe they want to look into them. I don’t have experience with them but several of my family members love them. The prices aren’t that much off Haven prices and a lot more is included. I guess I’ll never understand the cost of the Haven when there are true luxury lines out there for similar cost and more inclusions. 

7 hours ago, Bostonjetset said:

As someone who has sailed all three lines, I would still say HAL or Princess is the best for Alaska. NCL may have been sailing Alaska for over 20 years but HAL has been sailing there since before it was even a state. Over 70 years!

Generally the smaller the ship the better for Alaska so I’ve chosen HAL both times I’ve been but I’d still chose Princess over NCL as I find they have a nicer product with less up charges. 

Again I ask why does it matter how long a cruise line has been sailing to Alaska?  Does Glacier Bay look different on an HAL or Princess ship?  Do Princess and HAL go to a different Skagway?

Other than one HAL cruise, I only sail on NCL and Princess.  They both have their positives and I wish they'd get married.  What upcharges does NCL have that Princess does not?  NCL just has more variety, especially on the big ships.  And if the OP is sailing the Haven, on Bliss or Encore they'd have that separate observation lounge.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, SomewhereGirl said:

Encore sails to Glacier Bay and Skagway.  Encore is the younger (newer) sister of Bliss.

As for NCL not being recommended for Alaska, that usually comes from HAL and Princess fans who have never sailed NCL, and say that HAL and Princess "know how to do Alaska" because they've been there longer, even though NCL has been sailing to Alaska for over 20 years.  NCL will also have a park ranger on board for Glacier Bay so that's a non-factor.

A park ranger will only be aboard for the day at Glacier Bay, unlike a naturalist who will be aboard the entire cruise. We cruised Alaska including Glacier Bay in 2010 on Princess. I still remember how much the naturalist aboard, Michael Modzelewski, contributed to the enjoyment of the cruise. The fact that I still remember his name after all these years should say a lot about what an excellent naturalist can contribute to an Alaskan cruise experience.

1 hour ago, SomewhereGirl said:

Again I ask why does it matter how long a cruise line has been sailing to Alaska?  Does Glacier Bay look different on an HAL or Princess ship?  Do Princess and HAL go to a different Skagway?

Other than one HAL cruise, I only sail on NCL and Princess.  They both have their positives and I wish they'd get married.  What upcharges does NCL have that Princess does not?  NCL just has more variety, especially on the big ships.  And if the OP is sailing the Haven, on Bliss or Encore they'd have that separate observation lounge.

The length of time doesn’t necessarily matter except it CAN mean more favorable port times and docking locations which I believe it does for HAL. In Ketchikan for example, I believe NCL now docks away from downtown which is a pain while Princess and HAL are right in the town center. Also, I maintain that size of ship matters. 4,500 people descending into town is noticeably more than 2,500.  

I haven’t sailed with Princess since 2019 so I’ll refrain from comparing after covid with both lines but I sailed Alaska with HAL this past August and I sailed on the Bliss last week to Mexico and there were far more up charges or degradations of service on NCL.
For example:

NCL has the highest daily grats of any major cruise line yet only has once daily cabin service. HAL still has twice daily. NCL charges for on demand movies in cabin. HAL does not. NCL charges for room service. HAL does not. 

NCL makes you check out towels like a child at the pool. On HAL you just take what you want and throw them in a large wooden bin when you are done. NCL had a library that you could only check out books for one hour each day. On HAL you could take them out all day on the honor system. On HAL if you get the beverage package you aren’t charged gratuities on top of it. It’s just all included in the price of your cruise if you take that option. 

I do give NCL credit for onboard evening entertainment though. SIX the Musical was Broadway-touring company level. HAL has nothing of that caliber. Their StepOne Dance shows are good but SIX on NCL was excellent. Also, anytime dining is better handled on NCL with almost no waits. HAL has better service when you picked their fixed dining. 

Thank you all for your input!!  I went with the itinerary and booked on Jade!  I got a 2 bedroom room family villa that has a large picture window over the tub so that can be my “hot tub” experience. Thank you all for wonderful insightful responses, I’m very excited!!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Just now, doolfan said:

Thank you all for your input!!  I went with the itinerary and booked on Jade!  I got a 2 bedroom room family villa that has a large picture window over the tub so that can be my “hot tub” experience. Thank you all for wonderful insightful responses, I’m very excited!!

Thank you for letting us know what you decided. Enjoy your cruise and report back!

Edited by Candy Apple 12

6 hours ago, SomewhereGirl said:

The seniority matters in that the most senior gets better docking positions. Might not matter but a few years back Juneau had all its berths filled and we had to tender. Don’t know how the new pier situation affects that as it’s been a few years since we’ve been to AK but it can. I believe that last year when part of Skagway pier was closed the open berths will go to the most senior lines

we used to feel that Princess was a better product than NCL but Princess has cut quite a bit of complimentary items and are now charging for them so they may be on par with ncl. We sail them in two weeks so we shall see

On 11/11/2023 at 9:41 AM, doolfan said:

I’m trying to plan a once in a lifetime Alaskan cruise. The other day I asked about heaven vs 2 aft facing balconies on Bliss for Alaska. The response was all haven so I booked it. But then I’ve continued reading and it sounds like overall Norwegian is not recommended so much for Alaska. So I decided to look into HAL or Princess but I just kept coming back to Norwegian. I have now found a trip on Norwegian Jade that has all the things I want for Alaska (inside passage, glacier bay and Skagway, ALL places Bliss was not going to). But Jade does not have all the things I wanted in a ship. I don’t care at all about slides, racetracks, VR etc. but I was looking forward to the very fancy Haven (Jades Haven looks lame in comparison) or at least Vibe (which Jade doesn’t have at all) so I figured I’d pay extra for spa passes, but Jade’s spa doesn’t have all the cool new things either and also looks kinda lame in comparison. Just looking for nice places to relax really!  And hot tubs!!  I’m probably spoiled because I have my first ever cruise coming up and it just happens to be on Viva. I fell in love with that itinerary and then found out it was the newest ship. Which would you choose for Alaska great luxury ship or itinerary?  Is the scenery that much better in the inside passage and glacier bay?  Would we miss out if we knew nothing else? Or if it’s a one and done for Alaska should we make sure to see the best??

2nd cruise on the Encore a couple of weeks ago to Alaska.  I quickly realized that Alaska is not a "once and done" experience  And so we are going back late April on the Bliss which is going to all the places you mentioned. In fact its going to a few more than the Encore went to a few weeks ago  i.e. Icy Point Strait and Sitka.  You have to realize that with all these ports on a 7 day cruise time in each port is going to be limited (the reason why I learned it would not be "once and done")   I did notice what they call "Cruise Tours" and I think the smaller ships do them.  Part of the trip is on land where places like Denali National Park are visited in depth and the other part is a typical Alaskan cruise. A friend of mine is going to Alaska in September on RCL. I will ask her  for her opinion and compare it to NCL. Cant see why it would be much different if the length of the cruise is similar. 

• Like 1

On 11/11/2023 at 10:50 AM, graphicguy said:

Sounds like you want all the features of the new ships.  So, you’ e answered your own question.

Not sure where you got the impression that NCL is not “recommended” for Alaska.  I’ve failed the Bliss on an Alaska Cruise.  i wholeheartedly recommend NCL for Alaska.  The Observation Lounge alone makes it worth it for Alaska.

Alaska is beautiful.  If you’ve never been, any of the ports will be amazing and just one cruise there will not be enough, regardless of itinerary!

exactly my thoughts

• Like 1

On 11/11/2023 at 10:56 AM, www3traveler said:

For me no question: The Jade  But I do not care about the Haven, the Spa or all the bells and whistles on the newer bigger ships.

The Garden Villa suites are very nice-- private pool area and private upper level Sun Deck perfect for the Inside Passage portion of the cruise and Glacier Bay.  Get out a map and look at the body of water between Vancouver Island and the mainland of Canada-- for the most part somewhat protected from the possible wild weather sailing in the Pacific Ocean (Encore, Bliss).

If you can add a couple of days to tour Vancouver, British Columbia or Seattle, Washington.

I said 14 years ago, I was only sailing to Alaska ONCE.  In May of 2024, I will be heading out for my 9th Alaskan cruise this time on The Bliss out of Seattle.

Whatever cruise and ship you pick, ENJOY

I'm curious, why did you come to that conclusion 14 years ago that it was going to be a one time event?

On 11/11/2023 at 1:56 PM, olemissreb said:

Since I wasn't sure when I'd get back to Alaska, itinerary and port times were the most important for me...then I went with the cruise line that fit our vacation times. We didn't go to Glacier Bay, but we did get to Hubbard Glacier and it was spectacular.

Hoping that in the next few years I'll be able to talk my boyfriend into a couple weeks in AK. He says he's not a cruise person, but I guess he'll find out in 2025 when we cruise Viva in the Caribbean.

I think I would reevaluate my relationship if my boyfriend had to be talked into a cruise.  Or else prepare to go solo in the future because that's how it will be when he gets more comfortable in the relationship. On the other hand, he may get hooked on cruising.   My husband wont cruise so its solo or with a friend. I dont mind solo but having company has its advantages too.  And of course there is also the possibiity that someone hooked on a certain type of travel (cruises) gets unhooked as  life goes on. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Smitheroo said:

I think I would reevaluate my relationship if my boyfriend had to be talked into a cruise.  Or else prepare to go solo in the future because that's how it will be when he gets more comfortable in the relationship. On the other hand, he may get hooked on cruising.   My husband wont cruise so its solo or with a friend. I dont mind solo but having company has its advantages too.  And of course there is also the possibiity that someone hooked on a certain type of travel (cruises) gets unhooked as  life goes on. 

I've actually been "hooked" on sailing solo since my girlfriend and I sent our separate ways.  

Agree with you that it's fun to share cruising adventures with someone.  But, after 5 solo cruises, I've come to really enjoy it.  Wouldn't dissuade me from cruising with someone else again.  But, I have no hesitation at all in cruising solo.  It has its own rewards.

2 hours ago, Smitheroo said:

I'm curious, why did you come to that conclusion 14 years ago that it was going to be a one time event?

At the time, I had taken only one other cruise and was not convinced that I would love cruising.  Like so many others, cruising has become my addiction which I will gladly admit.  The call of the Sea Siren is very strong even to little old ladies like  me.  

56 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

I've actually been "hooked" on sailing solo since my girlfriend and I sent our separate ways.  

Agree with you that it's fun to share cruising adventures with someone.  But, after 5 solo cruises, I've come to really enjoy it.  Wouldn't dissuade me from cruising with someone else again.  But, I have no hesitation at all in cruising solo.  It has its own rewards.

I agree 100%

19 minutes ago, www3traveler said:

At the time, I had taken only one other cruise and was not convinced that I would love cruising.  Like so many others, cruising has become my addiction which I will gladly admit.  The call of the Sea Siren is very strong even to little old ladies like  me.  

I like to say its in my genes.  Long line of mariners on my mother's paternal side

• Like 1

On 11/11/2023 at 11:01 PM, LatinaInTexas said:

Lots of good info here. I have been trying to decide between Alaska and Bermuda for my next cruise, and between Bliss and Encore for Alaska.

Finally decided tonight it will be Alaska on Encore.

After my first NCL cruise a few months ago I knew I didn't want to cruise on Carnival to Alaska and didn't want to try a new line.

I'm feeling good that I made the right choice.

I was just on the Encore on an Alaskan cruise and I agree with you  In a few months I will do the same thing but on the Bliss.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Smitheroo said:

I'm totally prepared to go solo or with my sister...which is really what prompted us to book the Viva in 2025. Of course she wanted to bring her boyfriend (for his first cruise), so it was a bit of an easier sell for my boyfriend.  I'm hoping he'll fall in love with cruising after that. I've even agreed to look at a train trip since my boyfriend loves trains. 

3 hours ago, olemissreb said:

I've even agreed to look at a train trip since my boyfriend loves trains. 

Now I'm totally confused.  I've been a life long railfan and am now a cruise enthusiast.  I can't believe that anybody would love one and not love the other.  It's like the same thing only different.

• Like 3