Marina Refurbishment

m1k2s3

39 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

Concerning La Reserve:

I make no declaration of being a typical or average Oceania passenger. I have eaten all of the La Reserve course at least twice ( including Dom Perignon) and some three times. My actual favorite has been discontinued.

It disappoints me that Oceania doesn’t create more new menus on an ongoing basis. The Dom dinner first appeared in early 2019. Here we are about to enter 2024 with the exact same food and wines. Until they create a new menu, with wines, I probably won’t eat in La Reserve again until a new menu is introduced. Not holding my breath.

Second, we have previously enjoyed the nights that the bar in La Reserve is open. Often new wines, not on the regular wine by the glass menu, along with finger foods is all we want for dinner.  We don’t mind paying for those upscale wines! However, the Marina rarely advertised when the La Reserve bar would be open. One had to physically walk bye to see what was happening there on any given night. It was NEVER advertised in Currents on our March Marina cruise. Why?

The price increases for the dinners are rather shocking. My personal opinion is that Oceania is allowing La Reserve to slowly fade away. Taking out the physical venue on Marina is therefore not surprising. Sad actually. With merely a yearly change of food and wine menus, the venue could be a long term success. Oceania doesn’t embrace change. See current Specialty Restaurants menu vs 2013 menus. 

I have to agree about the need for menu updating. We certainly have our favorites that we might miss, but new items would be wonderful, especially because we are fortunate enough to do several cruises a year. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

Concerning La Reserve:

I make no declaration of being a typical or average Oceania passenger. I have eaten all of the La Reserve course at least twice ( including Dom Perignon) and some three times. My actual favorite has been discontinued.

It disappoints me that Oceania doesn’t create more new menus on an ongoing basis. The Dom dinner first appeared in early 2019. Here we are about to enter 2024 with the exact same food and wines. Until they create a new menu, with wines, I probably won’t eat in La Reserve again until a new menu is introduced. Not holding my breath.

Second, we have previously enjoyed the nights that the bar in La Reserve is open. Often new wines, not on the regular wine by the glass menu, along with finger foods is all we want for dinner.  We don’t mind paying for those upscale wines! However, the Marina rarely advertised when the La Reserve bar would be open. One had to physically walk bye to see what was happening there on any given night. It was NEVER advertised in Currents on our March Marina cruise. Why?

The price increases for the dinners are rather shocking. My personal opinion is that Oceania is allowing La Reserve to slowly fade away. Taking out the physical venue on Marina is therefore not surprising. Sad actually. With merely a yearly change of food and wine menus, the venue could be a long term success. Oceania doesn’t embrace change. See current Specialty Restaurants menu vs 2013 menus. 

While I agree with 99% of what you're saying, I will have to add that on both of my Riviera cruises this past year they did advertise the Wine Bar nights for La Reserve in Currents. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, ORV said:

While I agree with 99% of what you're saying, I will have to add that on both of my Riviera cruises this past year they did advertise the Wine Bar nights for La Reserve in Currents. 

Outstanding, as it should have been. We had Peter the Shoe as CD, so questionable performance should be expected.

1 hour ago, edgee said:
  • Well one way they are "embracing change" is saying au revoir to Jacque and saying howdy to Ember the upscale Appleby's replacement on the Allura class ships...not a very popular move, IMHO.
  • Also addition of enhanced evening Waves offerings now available on Riviera and Vista and Aquamor on Vista and soon on Marina are positive steps.

A genuine question for you. Does the addition of a strictly Americanized restaurant ( Ember) actually symbolize Change? Perhaps there may be differences of opinion on that subject, especially considering the highly Americanized menus of the other venues.

7 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

A genuine question for you. Does the addition of a strictly Americanized restaurant ( Ember) actually symbolize Change? Perhaps there may be differences of opinion on that subject, especially considering the highly Americanized menus of the other venues.

Is is change. Change to a product that perhaps is less expensive to operate and one that many guests wish would not happen, but it is change.

One could make the case that it is really unwelcome more of the same...more of the Americanization which already exists, as you seem to be saying. I see your point, but lean toward my first point.

8 minutes ago, edgee said:

Is is change. Change to a product that perhaps is less expensive to operate and one that many guests wish would not happen, but it is change.

One could make the case that it is really unwelcome more of the same...more of the Americanization which already exists, as you seem to be saying. I see your point, but lean toward my first point.

Definitions. If you tore down a Burger King and built a McDonalds some would signify change. Others, not so much.

Point taken. 🥂

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

Definitions. If you tore down a Burger King and built a McDonalds some would signify change. Others, not so much.

Analogous because those who love Jacque can no longer, "have it their way." 😁

Just coming off Marina after a 15 day cruise in a Concierge Veranda cabin. In my opinion the weakest point is the bathroom and the miniscule shower. At least there's no way you can fall over in the shower! 

We visited a vacant Penthouse Suite with a view to potentially upgrading our next cruise and was shocked to find the same miserable bathroom as our veranda stateroom though obviously the rest of the cabin is a marked improvement, particularly the walk-in closet which is a major improvement on the largely inaccessible closet in the veranda stateroom. 

1 minute ago, catandmouse said:

Just coming off Marina after a 15 day cruise in a Concierge Veranda cabin. In my opinion the weakest point is the bathroom and the miniscule shower. At least there's no way you can fall over in the shower! 

We visited a vacant Penthouse Suite with a view to potentially upgrading our next cruise and was shocked to find the same miserable bathroom as our veranda stateroom though obviously the rest of the cabin is a marked improvement, particularly the walk-in closet which is a major improvement on the largely inaccessible closet in the veranda stateroom. 

Yes and fortunately the PH bathrooms will be totally redone, but Concierge and the lesser expensive bathrooms will not. 

7 minutes ago, catandmouse said:

If the Marina rehab is anything like the Riviera rehab, the PH bathrooms will have a very large, wonderful shower. 

38 minutes ago, catandmouse said:

Did they remove the shower from the tub area?

51 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

Did they remove the shower from the tub area?

No the shower in the tub is still there but using it tends to flood the whole bathroom as the glass screen only provides partial protection. 

Sometimes I wish the guys who designed these things had actually tried them out before installing them. 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, catandmouse said:

No the shower in the tub is still there but using it tends to flood the whole bathroom as the glass screen only provides partial protection. 

Sometimes I wish the guys who designed these things had actually tried them out before installing them. 

The Marina hasn’t been refurbished, yet, and I don’t believe redoing the Concierge and below cabin bathrooms is part of the current plan. 

Indeed, even though I'm currently on the Marina, I'm getting contradictory information on what the refurb entails. They're making most noise about the restaurants and much less about the cabins, but it sounds as though the bathrooms in the penthouse suites are being redone though whether to match Riviera or not isn't clear. The veranda staterooms sound as though they get a carpet job and possibly paint, though in my opinion not necessary. 

This is the email we had received when we had originally booked an A4 on Marina, while sailing on the Riviera.  We then upgraded to an A3 in order to have the new bathroom configuration.  Would’ve been nice had they reached out to us instead of having to stumble across the update on CC.

Dear Valued Guests and Travel Advisors,

We would like to provide you with an important update on your cruise vacation that is scheduled to sail aboard Marina. 

Recently, Oceania Cruises unveiled its plans to re-inspire Marina by dramatically upgrading all of her guest accommodations and public spaces. All guest accommodations will be completely transformed and outfitted with all new furniture and furnishings, wall coverings, upholstery, lighting, technology, additional storage space, and new bathrooms. 

Based on feedback from guests, one of the major upgrades to the accommodations is that bathrooms in all category C Deluxe Oceanview Staterooms, all category B1, B2, and B3 Veranda Staterooms, all category A1, A2, and A3 Concierge Level Veranda Staterooms, and all category PH1 and PH2 Penthouse Suites will now feature an oversized, walk-in shower. The dramatically more spacious and functional walk-in shower was made possible by removing the under-utilized separate bathtub and small shower stall. 

These changes will debut with Marina’s November 13, 2023, sailing.  

The current bathtub and shower combination bathroom configuration will remain in place in category B4 Veranda Staterooms, category A4 Concierge Level Veranda Staterooms, and select category PH3 Penthouse Suites. Details on those specific accommodations are listed below. 

The Oceania, Vista, and Owner’s Suites will all retain their current shower and bathtub, albeit in spectacularly re-inspired bathrooms. 

Penthouse Suites and Staterooms with the bathtub and shower:

PH3: 9138, 9145, 10002, 10003, 10004, 10005, 10008, 10009, 10010, 10011

A4: 9002, 9003, 9004, 9005, 9006, 9007, 9008, 9009, 9010, 9011, 9012, 9019, 9126, 9128, 9130, 9132, 9133, 9134, 9135, 9136, 9137, 9139, 9141, 9143

B4: 7010, 7011, 7012, 7014, 7015, 7016, 7017, 7018, 7019, 7020, 7021, 7022, 7023, 7024, 7025, 7026, 7027, 7028, 7029, 7031, 7102, 7104, 7105, 7106, 7107, 7109

Should you desire a suite or stateroom with the bathtub and shower combination, or if you are currently booked in one of the suites or staterooms listed above and prefer one of the new shower-only bathrooms, please contact your Travel Advisor or Oceania Cruises to request a change. 

Thank you for taking note of this important change. We look forward to welcoming you aboard the better-than-new and dramatically re-inspired Marina. 

Warmest regards,

Carlos E. Ortega
Vice President, Guest Services

I would think those that  will be devastated by not having the bathroom upgraded  would have time to cancel before  penalties kick in

Unless you booked after Sept 1st this year of course  then too bad

JMO

1 hour ago, clarku said:

This is the email we had received when we had originally booked an A4 on Marina, while sailing on the Riviera.  We then upgraded to an A3 in order to have the new bathroom configuration.  Would’ve been nice had they reached out to us instead of having to stumble across the update on CC.

Dear Valued Guests and Travel Advisors,

We would like to provide you with an important update on your cruise vacation that is scheduled to sail aboard Marina. 

Recently, Oceania Cruises unveiled its plans to re-inspire Marina by dramatically upgrading all of her guest accommodations and public spaces. All guest accommodations will be completely transformed and outfitted with all new furniture and furnishings, wall coverings, upholstery, lighting, technology, additional storage space, and new bathrooms. 

Based on feedback from guests, one of the major upgrades to the accommodations is that bathrooms in all category C Deluxe Oceanview Staterooms, all category B1, B2, and B3 Veranda Staterooms, all category A1, A2, and A3 Concierge Level Veranda Staterooms, and all category PH1 and PH2 Penthouse Suites will now feature an oversized, walk-in shower. The dramatically more spacious and functional walk-in shower was made possible by removing the under-utilized separate bathtub and small shower stall. 

These changes will debut with Marina’s November 13, 2023, sailing.  

The current bathtub and shower combination bathroom configuration will remain in place in category B4 Veranda Staterooms, category A4 Concierge Level Veranda Staterooms, and select category PH3 Penthouse Suites. Details on those specific accommodations are listed below. 

The Oceania, Vista, and Owner’s Suites will all retain their current shower and bathtub, albeit in spectacularly re-inspired bathrooms. 

Penthouse Suites and Staterooms with the bathtub and shower:

PH3: 9138, 9145, 10002, 10003, 10004, 10005, 10008, 10009, 10010, 10011

A4: 9002, 9003, 9004, 9005, 9006, 9007, 9008, 9009, 9010, 9011, 9012, 9019, 9126, 9128, 9130, 9132, 9133, 9134, 9135, 9136, 9137, 9139, 9141, 9143

B4: 7010, 7011, 7012, 7014, 7015, 7016, 7017, 7018, 7019, 7020, 7021, 7022, 7023, 7024, 7025, 7026, 7027, 7028, 7029, 7031, 7102, 7104, 7105, 7106, 7107, 7109

Should you desire a suite or stateroom with the bathtub and shower combination, or if you are currently booked in one of the suites or staterooms listed above and prefer one of the new shower-only bathrooms, please contact your Travel Advisor or Oceania Cruises to request a change. 

Thank you for taking note of this important change. We look forward to welcoming you aboard the better-than-new and dramatically re-inspired Marina. 

Warmest regards,

Carlos E. Ortega
Vice President, Guest Services

I agree! Oceania should have made people aware of the changes to the original plans. Goodness know if the bathrooms will ever  be changed!

For me, sailing on May 18th 2024, the small shower is a disappointment, I would have liked the new configuration, but as it’s only one small part of the whole cruise it won’t spoil my enjoyment!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Vallesan said:

I agree! Oceania should have made people aware of the changes to the original plans. Goodness know if the bathrooms will ever  be changed!

For me, sailing on May 18th 2024, the small shower is a disappointment, I would have liked the new configuration, but as it’s only one small part of the whole cruise it won’t spoil my enjoyment!

Hide the ball. Don't announce negative or neutral news unless or until you have to. Announce itinerary changes as late as possible with priority toward making sure they come after final payment dates or after last day to book excursions in advance if embarkation. This is the way the company operates. Ultimate example is the way they handled recent Riviera Suez Canal, formerly holy land, cruise. I like their on board product a lot and am willing to live with it. Just need to be aware that you are dealing with a not always customer friendly/truthful philosophy.

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, edgee said:

Hide the ball. Don't announce negative or neutral news unless or until you have to. Announce itinerary changes as late as possible with priority toward making sure they come after final payment dates or after last day to book excursions in advance if embarkation. This is the way the company operates. Ultimate example is the way they handled recent Riviera Suez Canal, formerly holy land, cruise. I like their on board product a lot and am willing to live with it. Just need to be aware that you are dealing with a not always customer friendly/truthful philosophy.

With all due respect not all the issues you bring up are within Oceania’s control. For example the poor people who missed flights because the ship couldn’t dock in Miami because of weather!

I understand the issues with the recent Riviera cruise and the offer of a refund which was then withdrawn. That was incorrect. Probably not good business practice but at the end of the day Oceania/NCLC is ‘business’ and it probably didn’t make good ‘business’ sense to refund the whole cruise and sail empty. Had the ship not sailed then the whole Asia season would have been lost and given the precarious financial state of many cruise lines, that may have been the ‘straw that broke the camels back’!

I don’t think any cruise lines like to make itinerary changes unless for very good reason. My guess is it costs them money to do that. In truth when you book a cruise you  know that there are many things that are ‘fluid’. 

As you say you ‘like their onboard product’ , so do I! I just go with the flow and concentrate on the good bits, nothing in life is perfect. Of course we all ‘pay our money and take our chance’ if the odds become stacked too high against Oceania then the answer is simple … sail with another line!

Edited by Vallesan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Vallesan said:

With all due respect not all the issues you bring up are within Oceania’s control. For example the poor people who missed flights because the ship couldn’t dock in Miami because of weather!

I understand the issues with the recent Riviera cruise and the offer of a refund which was then withdrawn. That was incorrect. Probably not good business practice but at the end of the day Oceania/NCLC is ‘business’ and it probably didn’t make good ‘business’ sense to refund the whole cruise and sail empty. Had the ship not sailed then the whole Asia season would have been lost and given the precarious financial state of many cruise lines, that may have been the ‘straw that broke the camels back’!

I don’t think any cruise lines like to make itinerary changes unless for very good reason. My guess is it costs them money to do that. In truth when you book a cruise you  know that there are many things that are ‘fluid’. 

As you say you ‘like their onboard product’ , so do I! I just go with the flow and concentrate on the good bits, nothing in life is perfect. Of course we all ‘pay our money and take our chance’ if the odds become stacked too high against Oceania then the answer is simple … sail with another line!

---Issues like what happened in Miami over past weekend have zero to do with point I was making.

-- Of course itineraries have to be changed..my point was how promptly folks were notified. For example, Oceania notified us that PV had been substituted for hurricane ravished (happened 8 weeks prior) Acapulco just hours after the deadline passed for advance booking of excursions for our cruise. This resulted in long lines at Destinations desk upon boarding as folks were scheduling replacement excursions at new port. Previous cruise which was a reverse of our LA to Mia cruise had PV substituted weeks before. They certainly knew and could have notified us sooner, but chose not to, IMHO in order to avoid having to deal with changes in excursion bookings in advance. More convenient for O but not for the guest IMHO. 

--I think we agree that the onboard product at this point is attractive and therefore we "roll with the punches." Obvious that one always has option to not cruise or go with another cruise line...that could be said in response to most any post here on CC!

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, edgee said:

---Issues like what happened in Miami over past weekend have zero to do with point I was making.

-- Of course itineraries have to be changed..my point was how promptly folks were notified. For example, Oceania notified us that PV had been substituted for hurricane ravished (happened 8 weeks prior) Acapulco just hours after the deadline passed for advance booking of excursions for our cruise. This resulted in long lines at Destinations desk upon boarding as folks were scheduling replacement excursions at new port. Previous cruise which was a reverse of our LA to Mia cruise had PV substituted weeks before. They certainly knew and could have notified us sooner, but chose not to, IMHO in order to avoid having to deal with changes in excursion bookings in advance. More convenient for O but not for the guest IMHO. 

--I think we agree that the onboard product at this point is attractive and therefore we "roll with the punches." Obvious that one always has option to not cruise or go with another cruise line...that could be said in response to most any post here on CC!

Yes, maybe I misunderstood your entire post.

Let’s just sail and enjoy!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, edgee said:

I think we agree that the onboard product at this point is attractive and therefore we "roll with the punches."

I've said the very same thing on CC multiple time.  Their back-room operation leaves much to be desired, so I try to focus on the cruise product, not the snafus.  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, LHT28 said:

I would think those that  will be devastated by not having the bathroom upgraded  would have time to cancel before  penalties kick in

Unless you booked after Sept 1st this year of course  then too bad

JMO

Unless you were on the first booking post refurbishment. The revised announcement came out two days post penalty phase.