Prima TA Semi-Live 11 Days to NY from Spain, 4+ days @Barcelona from JFK ... land/cruise early Thanksgiving vacation

mking8288

10 hours ago, mking8288 said:

It's right on the corner, when you exit the port or terminal area, cross the street to your left, do your window shopping - about 1/4 to 1/3 of a mile walk, 3 or 4 blocks.  Sells things like toothpaste, lotions, slippers, underwear, along with souvenirs, and vast collection of iPhone and Samsung smartphone cases (only) and other essentials for cabin living, not your ordinary mini-marts or 7-11's. 

@bedfordmom hi 😁 just reaffirmed what I said, unique to PD only about screening when returning to the ship. 

Anything locally made, pineapple based are good & bargain priced. Azorean gift shop is the store mentioned above with the liquor and the long lines. Check out the side streets behind the waterfront for inexpensive meals & lunches, many as a combo w soda or beer / wine.  Happy cruising & safe travel, get well 🙏😁

Carry on with the chats ... NP at all. 

Collage_2023-11-12_19_15_27.jpg

Hi again actually every European port we encountered  was lax on the collection of alcohol as the check was done by their version of their TSA not NCL and they were no where to be found if you wanted to turn it in. Also interesting to note that now you have to pick up liquor bought on board 5 to 7 pm the last night instead of it being delivered to your room as in the past. We don’t drink but bring liquor home for gifts and prefer bringing it back ourselves thst day in order to figure out the packing prior to the last day. 

Agree there  is a lovely gift shop with Azores goods across from the port. Next door there is a small grocery store where you can get inexpensive wine snacks etc. even in the port there was a tiny store. ( unless I am mixing it up w Lisbon)  I’m sorry we missed the other store you referred to but it was a Sunday and they may have been closed. Our private tour stopped at the pineapple farm so picked up my pineapple liquor and jam at good prices and did not see this brand in town. 

you are actually getting me motivated to book another TA with your excellent reviews. We actually looked at your cruise but since I hold a  large Thanksgiving it was not an option . 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, laudergayle said:

And…now, back to @mking8288  Hope you have a fabulous cruise.

Thanks and just good to know, the CC community is alive and well, buzzing with excitement with all the "live" and live'ish report and pre-report or alerts ahead.  Besides, they aren't hijacking the report & welcome home from your Bliss 😄 

PXL_20231112_195710704.thumb.jpg.6cde9d6a2b6151080183de0c2b01b974.jpg

Getting serious, it's Monday, less than 30 hours before we complete our TAP-Portugal flight check-in ... expecting to run into a modest bit of jetlag (difference of +/- 6 hours)  World Clock widget on the smartphone has been showing both NY and BCN local time.  For those that has never sail across the pond - eastbound / westbound for us next week, ship's onboard time/clock will be adjusted several times en route.  Will "regain" time and an extra hour overnight as we sleep.  Our friends will/should learn about Neptune the god of the sea with initiation ceremony of ‘Crossing the line’ ... although, our routing isn't going thru the equator.   

Just checking off some of the 😣 priceless 👴 Latitudes Sapphire benefits or perks - some of them continual AWOL ... not that I / we expected or needed them, was only "offered" it before, once - been a while and not a word about them on our last 4 to 5 NCL cruises.  Conclusion: useless & broken promises. Most of us know already - don't count on using them, with exceptions of course, for your (in)convenience.  If anyone not staying in Haven and/or in a full suite has a different and positive experience (not with the Latitudes/Cruise Next team members,) speak up as "we" or the rest of us love to read about it. 

Priority Disembarkation*
(only available to U.S. Citizens and benefit varies for international guests)

Concierge Service to assist you with specialty restaurant, entertainment, and shore excursion reservations*              
Dedicated Pre-cruise Service Desk              
Priority Restaurant & Entertainment Seating*
(subject to availability)

****  NCL paper luggage tags - no, these aren't mailed nor available ... Haven't seen them in use for decades.  Used to be available at pier check-in & collector's items nowadays.  No luggage tags mailed ... nevermind any sort of priority tags, not that I think it mattered much.  Airtag tracking - now, that's useful hence the compact, iPhone SE 2022 with dual e/Sim and Bluetooth option enabled, is, very handy.  

Edited by mking8288
  • Like 3

Last minute prices on this TA sailing is just unbelievable - where's Dan, my friend a/k/a @graphicguy - still got DL miles to burn, LOL.  Just busting your chops, don't take me seriously - what can you do for about $100 USD per day, room & board, unlimited beverages, all meals ?  Tipping and/or DSC not included, obviously for your convenience but that's easy to figure out.  

Real mock pricing - for an assigned family balcony #15708 right next to the Spa - cheaper than a Studio ... NCL is doing all they can to sell and fill those cabins up.  Calling last minute cruisers.  

PrimaTA-20Nov2023lastminutesolopricing.thumb.jpg.7f4f8c9418c0a3586b7aaaaeef7b942a.jpg

According to our active roll call's weekend "intel" - still about 100 cabins so we will be sailing around 95% occupancy, probably a good # of solo travelers onboard ... retirees.  Too bad, this doesn't work for @bedfordmom and @EllieinNJ as she isn't retiring until next January.  Joking with DW this morning that we should've waited to book last minute - 1 cabin for each of us, and use one of our CruiseNext certs each plus the 10% discount that we each have; and, take a shot to apply last minute for NCLH shareholders NR OBC.  

Looking at our flight - just got an email that bidding for upgrade has been "discounted" - appeared our overall flight isn't anywhere near full at all.  Hmmm, should we / I take another closer look at this offer and bid ??  

Screenshot_20231113-114804.thumb.png.eb76ca93f61b8e010a45805a77fd0346.png

Edited by mking8288
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, mking8288 said:

Last minute prices on this TA sailing is just unbelievable - where's Dan, my friend a/k/a @graphicguy - still got DL miles to burn, LOL.  Just busting your chops, don't take me seriously - what can you do for about $100 USD per day, room & board, unlimited beverages, all meals ?  Tipping and/or DSC not included, obviously for your convenience but that's easy to figure out.  

Real mock pricing - for an assigned family balcony #15708 right next to the Spa - cheaper than a Studio ... NCL is doing all they can to sell and fill those cabins up.  Calling last minute cruisers.  

PrimaTA-20Nov2023lastminutesolopricing.thumb.jpg.7f4f8c9418c0a3586b7aaaaeef7b942a.jpg

According to our active roll call's weekend "intel" - still about 100 cabins so we will be sailing around 95% occupancy, probably a good # of solo travelers onboard ... retirees.  Too bad, this doesn't work for @bedfordmom and @EllieinNJ as she isn't retiring until next January.  Joking with DW this morning that we should've waited to book last minute - 1 cabin for each of us, and use one of our CruiseNext certs each plus the 10% discount that we each have; and, take a shot to apply last minute for NCLH shareholders NR OBC.  

Looking at our flight - just got an email that bidding for upgrade has been "discounted" - appeared our overall flight isn't anywhere near full at all.  Hmmm, should we / I take another closer look at this offer and bid ??  

Screenshot_20231113-114804.thumb.png.eb76ca93f61b8e010a45805a77fd0346.png

WOWOWOWOWOW!!!!!!

Tempting!  

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

If we need to throw in an almond croissant, I've got it covered! Goes for you too @mking8288. 🙂 

OMG 😁 😄 😋 you are bribing him to come along to help fill the vacancy openings for our Slot Pull ?? But, what .... what about French press coffee b/c I think they only provide regular coffee for the CC Meet & Greet. 

There is an AFT balcony on deck 9 available for just $1,500 more ... my portal only showing a handful of available family cabins now.  There are actually better ones on D15 and D16 near the elevators.  

Memo to fellow cruisers sailing on the TA - depending on what you've booked or paid, now is the time to compare & do that last minute homework, call in and cut a deal to upgrade or change - especially from Inside or Oceanview, don't wait. 

T - minus 7 Days

Having fun before we leave home ahead of the cruise 😆

Edited by mking8288
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Must be off-season and not just cruising, H10 hotel waiving at us to upgrade our 4 nights stay ... thought they are fully booked & sold out. 

Screenshot_20231113-124527.thumb.png.85b2f01e791728bf490befb099081cda.png

Screenshot_20231113-124750.thumb.png.d66e8cd277364ce14cf01eb685b62348.png

It's a very nice boutique chain hotel and we chose to return again for our stay, just 100 meters, 350 ft. or a block and a half from Metro subway stations and also aerobus from/to the airport.

Collage_2023-11-13_11_23_50.thumb.jpg.abe15ac824bc8c626f291c640aaf282c.jpgCollage_2023-11-13_11_19_39.thumb.jpg.944a7e366d6c7fe6ae56199a6f0b6def.jpg

Has most of the creatures comfort ... almost Haven like with a concierge desk downstairs.  2 half liter bottles of water daily, complimentary # cough # cough - NCL - cheerfully restocked by housekeeping 

Collage_2023-11-13_11_31_04.thumb.jpg.b9d59323dffc4d2f311b98999ad24790.jpg

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, mking8288 said:

OMG 😁 😄 😋 you are bribing him to come along to help fill the vacancy openings for our Slot Pull ?? But, what .... what about French press coffee b/c I think they only provide regular coffee for the CC Meet & Greet. 

@mking8288 and @cruiseny4life there will be no attempts at bribing @graphicguy to join the Prima TA, when we know he prefers the warmer southern route of the Viva TA.

Instead, @JIMESOPUS and I shall challenge the both of you to a duel of wits to earn his presence.

• Haha 6

2 hours ago, mking8288 said:

Joking with DW this morning that we should've waited to book last minute - 1 cabin for each of us, and use one of our CruiseNext certs each plus the 10% discount that we each have; and, take a shot to apply last minute for NCLH shareholders NR OBC. 

Also, you each would receive your own Latitudes coupons.

• Haha 1

On 11/12/2023 at 9:22 PM, PistolPete13 said:

I picked a good time to return to this forum after getting the cruising itch again after a very busy year of work.  I was even at Pier 88 today hoping to be inspired by seeing a NCL ship docked but alas something else got the parking spot.

You are on vacation until next January ??  that's nice (after a very busy year of work) ... a number of CC'er were "looking" for you earlier too, wondering.  We're anchored on the Escape for 3 evenings in September & someone said you're spotted off Hylan Blvd 😁 😆 

Here's a rough outline for spotting NCL ships coming in/out of NY ...

Jade - after 12 days TA, from Lisbon - Wed Nov 15th

GA is doing the Bermuda donuts after returning from Carib - Nov 19 and 26th

BA - 16 days TA, from Rome - Tues Nov 28th

Prima - 11 days TA, from BCN - Fri Dec 1st 😎 😊 (that's us - yours truly) then repo to TX via ... 

We are on starboard side and most likely be asleep & not on the balcony to spot you out there at 4 AM 😆 with your pro camera gears - should be a hi-speed run from the quick Bermuda stop for us.

Edited by mking8288
  • Haha 4

Update/progress:  T minus 6 for embarkation but really, T minus 1 for our flight to Spain

Hotel online check-in done (starting 2 days in advance, prior to arrival ) - Hola and a welcome cocktail + small box of chocolate will be waiting.

Screenshot_20231114-104142.png

Check-in tonight after 22:00 for our TAP-Portugal flight ... 

Car service booked, using our local/neighborhood car services, from NE Queens (Whitestone area) with 1 extra pick-up stop (our 2 best friends nearby) - mini van to fit 4 adults, 4 checked luggage & 4 smaller carry-ons,  $58 USD only - tipping not included.  We used them locally over the years for shorter trip, a very good - excellent - price (no tolls) and beat Uber/Lyft and even Carmel, by $20 to $30 easily as I priced it for prime later afternoon pickup.  

No email from NCL to watch the mandatory safety/emergency video (yet) - but, we'll get to watch the longer, full version onboard ... that's okay.  

While @cruiseny4life is using ChatGPT to help with planning, I'm using Bard to do similar pre-planning, let's have fun with AI ... odds are that we'll just "wing" it in Barcelona, follow the smell and watch the locals.  I know the nearest ATM where we can easily get Euro funds is 1.5 block from the hotel, near the Aerobus stop and the underground Metro station.  

Edited by mking8288
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, dexddd said:

Have a great time.  Safe travels.  ... Pooch is sad again but ... 

Little fellow is fine, belongs to one of the nieces & just watching us pack & do things. Watering system in place for the indoor plants, that's "important"

Collage_2023-11-15_10_09_29.thumb.jpg.d6bad5b770aa4b8c4b46686c45fd819e.jpg

T is zero this late evening for air travel, bags are packed - big cases are 44 and 45 lbs each, well under 23 kg permitted, plus E Plus or Comfort allow 2 checked bags. Carry-on at 20 and 21 lbs, not counting a personal bag, odd EU airline rules.  Counting on free NCL laundry onboard, for our convenience, of course to sail & sustain.

Collage_2023-11-15_10_10_58.thumb.jpg.2d898627f96ee9cdf733e76262b7963f.jpg

Linux laptop on this trip, Zoom & Skype easily & VPN browser all updated, and iPhone paired to the Airtags.

Hotel online checked in lasted night along with the flights. Switching Google Fi to unlimited Plus to maximize our 5G and 4G global data, tethering up to 10 devices 😁 abroad.  Bargain cost but not a big secret with mostly T-Mobile towers at home. 👍

Screenshot_20231115-005142.thumb.png.30c778cc890ca6e795818028557a2013.png

• Like 5

3 hours ago, JIMESOPUS said:

@mking8288Safe travels

Jim - happy days at sea and ashore for all of us.  I'm sure you read by now, that unconfirmed reporting of Prima now has Starlink activated, great for future cruising and TA next week.  

Let's hope that PD will be a good port of call tomorrow but if anyone is left behind (unlikely) tell them to hang out for a few days and the Prima will come by next Friday & they can see whether NCL will allow them to hitchhike  their way to NY instead ... just kidding.  

#     #     #

@cruiseny4life - the other Semi-Live Prima TA report from upstairs / Haven - link is here - in case folks are having issues "searching" on CC.  New sign-in protocol now up & running, must use "registered/verified" email address to log-in instead of CC screen name/ID - but, user/screen name is shown/displayed.  

Edited by mking8288
  • Like 4

Just re-posting a bit of geography news worthy of mentioning - aside from projections that the upcoming busy Thanksiving travel season will see numbers up by 6% ... anyone flying near/over the polar routes to Europe (Asia ... not so much due to other geo-pol air space restrictions in place) should be mindful of very active volcanic activities in Iceland - just FYI

https://www.travelweekly.com/Europe-Travel/Could-a-volcanic-eruption-in-Iceland-disrupt-travel

https://news.yahoo.com/volcanic-iceland-rumbling-again-magma-191741394.html?guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAH6P3_00Zg2OuJzqpmRm7b6BlZszbCrOMAePTcAl3F-0rOPpB4HYYUAjt2t3O7PVnYxcgf8czuXxfjgyfgO26aOs2JaR-HqeOPcA-XCzS3TZvuAL9emAKd_Hpbm8GENqNwHCm9hHCJCz-61yqUIMAcJDJ0khzRHLrGbuAX0hSLRF

Our overnight red eye flight to LIS over the north Atlantic isn't expected to be impacted ... strong jetstream going east for a shorter & faster flight ...  Happy & safe travel to all 👌 

From the Geek gossip news corner:

Starlink WiFi onboard the Viva is reported - unconfirmed or facts-checked - thanks to intel byy @cruiseny4life doing the Haven semi-live TR along with our steerage views - should make for a fun & very lively blog in the coming days.  Stay tune ... Put back the Edimax BDR-6258n travel router, matchbook-sized for a bit of hotspot fun.  

Downloaded via Amazon (Prime Video) "Beetlejuice" and "Donna Summer" (should be "on" & shown next week ...  🤞 ) onto the HD 10" Fire Tablet for offline view, along with lots of eBooks and extra videos, just in case - me and our/my Plan B.  Offset the 6 to 8 oz. saved as Mrs.M is using our iPad mini 5 instead of taking her full sized iPad ... In a pinch, bluetooth paired up to folding keyboard - a micro PC/terminal to do additional things.  CyberGhost VPN enabled so bypassing geo-restrictions on content or access.  

Android apps (some on iOS) to be used / handy for travel, flying & cruising - at sea, etc.  (besides "Hey Google or Siri or invoking "Bard" AI tools") - a partial list:  <  feel free to add, adjust & suggestions welcomed & appreciated, tailored to user's need & wishes

TripAdvisor (that's Cruise Critic's ...) and Kayak

FlightAware and Flightradar

CruiseMapper & ShipMate - in addition to "Norwegian" the official cruise app

Windy app - supplement to The Weather Channel & AccuWeather

Uber, Lyft and for places like Spain - "Cabify" for taxis

Google Translate (Live) & Google Maps

plus

Music/Media apps, VPN and Google One (VPN enabled)

- to insure these apps in most places, an active global data (4G, 5G isn't everywhere) access ... not unsecured WiFi unless it's behind a strong firewall.  

And, not to leave out - good old fashion pen & paper to write things down.  

In other boring news update - car service arriving in less than 30 minutes, 1 stop & then off to JFK. Inbound flight is slightly late, on-time departure & arrival into LIS expected.  Just did a quick Lyft (Uber) price for this ride - about $105 for XL to fit 4 + luggage.  Local car service from the neighborhood that we use/trust - $60 plus tips.  No tolls for us or "Manhattan" congestion surcharges. 

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

Safe flights! Cant wait to see your on the ground reporting

This one is especially for all flying AF and you & yours, Lounge is next to Gate 1, just past TSA, turn starboard ... oops, right side, less than 250 ft.  while waiting for Air Portugal.  There's a Starbucks across & bar, mini concession stands, past the duty-free shops.  

But, sorry - no quick airside transfer if your DL flight is heading for T4

PXL_20231116_000253963.thumb.jpg.0d7023d0d43ed4e6be3764d4be1b181f.jpg

Collage_2023-11-15_19_16_01.thumb.jpg.619b7db84bcb310ae0bcc721d6c52c6c.jpg

Yes, it was a quick check-in this evening, 45 minutes from bags & passports checked & thru screening. Car service ride was 40 minutes with the extra pickup stops near our house. Not bad at all. 

Collage_2023-11-15_17_53_14.thumb.jpg.163a20f426bddc58220f0be72e45861e.jpg

Collage_2023-11-15_19_13_45.thumb.jpg.b713b0254ab46d222d829659ff914531.jpg

Our inbound flight departed late, arriving on time for ground servicing & turnaround ... Our bags tagged "priority" since we are E-Plus but still Boarding Zone C - and it's an A321 NEO LR, said to be full.  Mrs M also checked her carry-on rollerboard, no extra charge since we each can do 2 bags.

Good news is we are seated in the Exit Row over-the-wing emergency exits, extra - extra legroom for the 90 minutes short segment. 

Edited by mking8288
  • Like 6

12 hours ago, mking8288 said:

This one is especially for all flying AF and you & yours, Lounge is next to Gate 1, just past TSA, turn starboard ... oops, right side, less than 250 ft.  while waiting for Air Portugal.  There's a Starbucks across & bar, mini concession stands, past the duty-free shops.  

But, sorry - no quick airside transfer if your DL flight is heading for T4

Thanks for the intel! I figured we'd be landside. Oh well....we both have precheck now, unlike last month when we flew. I'm just hoping for that glorious little icon on our boarding passes. Like I said, barring a delay, we should get to JFK with three or four hours to wander around, get through TSA, and wander some more. 

My plan is to find Shake Shack, have the Smoke Shack Burger, with cheese fries. Mmmm! 

You should be in Europe by now. Hope the connection in Lisbon goes smoothly for you. 

• Like 2

Hola, we made our tight connection Lisbon to Barcelona, one end of T1 to Gate 14 on opposite end, after passport control. Last to board, row 10 window exits, lots of legroom - width a bit tight for this big fellow.  All checked in - top floor skyline view 👌

PXL_20231116_134251831.thumb.jpg.88507765d6e2fe1e6a220ba6bb920480.jpg

PXL_20231116_134301314.thumb.jpg.fcabd913f0f62e91efaa454d48069e48.jpg

PXL_20231116_143550593.thumb.jpg.cb8f6f495a5eb44401d5181fea8eaf25.jpg

PXL_20231116_143557261.thumb.jpg.4f627e52c2ce771dee48a2ceb1aaf13c.jpg

Taxi van for 4 of us and 6 pc. of small & large luggage, meter fares came to $51 Euro ... and a little tip always welcomed.

PXL_20231116_134505455.jpg

Edited by mking8288
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, cruiseny4life said:

My plan is to find Shake Shack, have the Smoke Shack Burger, with cheese fries. Mmmm! 

Oh my…temper your expectations.  Our last JFK Shake Shack experience was ONE HOT MESS.  Long disorganized line, chaotic delivery, popular items not available (like fountain sodas and ketchup) and cold food.  And, like all airport food…ridiculously expensive.  

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, laudergayle said:

Oh my…temper your expectations.  Our last JFK Shake Shack experience was ONE HOT MESS.  Long disorganized line, chaotic delivery, popular items not available (like fountain sodas and ketchup) and cold food.  And, like all airport food…ridiculously expensive.  

No. No. No. I refuse to accept this! My first Smoke Shack was at O'Hare. I've had it at EWR and DEN too. But, I've also skipped Shake Shack at several airports given the line and what seemed like frustrated customers. Off to study the JFK airport map to find an alternative. Thanks for the warning!! 

I did expect the ridiculously expensive - yay captive audiences, eh!

• Haha 4