First time on Iona, help and tips needed please

The Med

We’ve just got off a Regent Seven Seas Splendor cruise, so to go from that to a massive ship will be different!
We are however looking forward to the entertainment on board and having lots of choices.

We haven’t sailed with P&O for quite a while and we know that things have changed.
So, help needed please from you lovely experts.

1) When can we book the speciality restaurants? Is it 2 weeks before? Will we be given a date so that I can wait up until midnight to book?

2) Which speciality restaurants would you recommend?

3) Do we need to pre book entertainment, and if so, when is the earliest we can do that?
We are used to just walking into a venue as and when we feel like it. So, can you still be spontaneous or do the theatre/cinema/comedians/game shows have to be pre booked?

4) Who might be on in The Limelight club on In early January? When can we book in for that?

5) How many Gala/Celebration nights on a 2 week cruise and do we find out which days before departure?

6) Do people still dress up in black tie/ long dresses for Celebration nights? I hope so, I want to really dress up but don’t want to look out of place.

Thanks in advance 😀🥂

I can answer some of your questions but probably not all.

1. Exactly two weeks before your cruise you will be able to book speciality restaurants from midnight. You will have a choice but they get booked up very quickly (based on our experience for our two Iona cruises this year).

2. We booked Sindhu, the Chefs Table and the Limelight Club. We didn’t book Epicurian as we don’t tend to eat three courses these days.

3 & 4. Other than the Limelight Club we don’t tend to go to shows. The Limelight Club can be booked two weeks before sailing. Can’t help you who is on in January. We have always had a brilliant experience, even when we didn’t know some of the acts.

5 &6. There will be two formal nights on Iona. If you log into My P&O cruises it will show your itinerary and when the formal nights are. There are loads of people who dress formally  and that includes me and my husband. 

I hope this helps. I’m sure you will like Iona. We were on her in Feb/Mar and July. We really enjoyed her. We are on Azura for Christmas and New Year, counting down now - 5 weeks to go.

Have a great cruise.

Jennizo

• Like 1

We did the Northern Europe itinerary in October half term with our 2 children. I can't answer all your questions because my wife organises everything and I just turn up 😄

Generally, other than the theatre show, you can show up at any of the venues at any time, although finding a seat might be a challenge, we didn't have a problem, we managed 3 shows some nights going from the Clubhouse to theatre to Skydome.

With the theatre we did book in advance, but if it wasn't full 10 minutes before the start time they will let you in.

There's one Celebration per week on Iona and I would say the majority dressed up, I don't do black tie myself, just a business suit but plenty gents did do.

Restaurants are a matter of what food you prefer. We enjoyed Sindhu which is contemporary Asian food. Keel and Cow do good gastropub meals, and is good value. Don't overlook Olive Grove, most meals are included in your fare but there are some items available at a supplement.

If you want something more laid back, but a step up from the buffet, the Quays is good, quality fish and chips, American Diner food and curries, more like a food court.

• Like 1

I stayed up until midnight two weeks before travel and booked Epicurean and the Beach House. Once onboard we also booked Olive Grove, Sindhu a second visit to the Beach House and Keel and Cow. We enjoyed them all plus dinners in the main dining room on the celebration night when everyone was dressed up.

I recommend booking for the 710 club once onboard using the ‘app’ (web page link). If you can’t get in don’t give up as tickets become available during the day on the app, just keep checking. 

You can prebook some of the theatre shows but it’s also possible to be spontaneous with that as obviously the venue is larger.

• Like 1

Beach House is bookable, you don't always have to in advance but an hour or two before. If you really want to go then I'd advise booking just in case.

Olive Grove seemed really popular in 2021 and we struggled to get in.  The last two weeks I got in twice with no problems at all.  It wasn't full on either visit.  I did get a "tut" from the host for rocking up seven minutes early on the first visit.

Quays is good quality and turn up and eat.

Keel & Cow I did for the first time, joined a virtual queue and was at a table within five mins.  If the steaks are still from Onley Grounds then this is ironically my nearest farm shop to home.  We had the 32oz tomahawk and it was amazing.

Not done any of the others so can't comment.

2 formal nights on my 14 nighter, one on day three, one on the penultimate sea night.  Plenty did dress up and plenty didn't.  You won't be out of place doing either.  As I keep saying my food doesn't taste any different because some are in black tie and I'm not.  You are obviously limited to areas if not in black tie but to be honest not that many.

• Like 1

Thank you so much for the helpful replies, it’s much appreciated.

It was a bit of an impulse booking really, we wanted to be away over New Year, and having recently done long haul travel and also in addition small ship sailing we wanted something with no flights and lots going on.

I’m worried that the ship might be too big… I’m concerned about the queuing and waiting but on the upside we’re excited about all the choices of food and entertainment.

Our itinerary isn’t showing the gala/celebration nights yet but I expect that will happen nearer to departure date. 
We depart Southampton on 30th Dec, so obviously one will be NYE.

Oh, another quick question. On another thread someone said that they booked main dining room for 6.30pm every night of the cruise so that they always had a table.

On our itinerary it’s saying no booking required for main restaurants?

Can you book nearer the time? I don’t fancy an hours wait as some have reported.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, The Med said:

There should be a special New Year's Eve menu showing in your cruise planner where you are asked to select a time - at least that appears to be the case for the other ships  - not seen anyone else mention Iona yet.  There will also be a special meal in Epicurean which again will show in your dining options and be bookable and payable in advance.

These will both show under your dining tab when logged in.

Edited by Megabear2

Yes for NYE we have our dining time at 8.30pm but I’ve not yet seen the menu (only menu examples).

I wasn’t sure if we would get 1 more posh night or 2 on this cruise and was wondering at what point they let you know when the formal nights are?

We do like speciality restaurants but prefer main dining venues on formal nights…for the people watching. I like to admire all the outfits. 

6 minutes ago, GSPG said:

My concern, if you like is in your very first sentence, just getting off the Seven Seas Splendor, and boarding this ship.

Polar opposites?

Yes they are absolutely polar opposites.

However, as much as I enjoyed the Regent experience, there are things about small ship sailing that we don’t enjoy….mainly lack of entertainment.

So we’re going with an open mind, we know what we’re getting into. 
Our biggest ship so far is Celebrity Beyond.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, The Med said:

Yes they are absolutely polar opposites.

However, as much as I enjoyed the Regent experience, there are things about small ship sailing that we don’t enjoy….mainly lack of entertainment.

So we’re going with an open mind, we know what we’re getting into. 
Our biggest ship so far is Celebrity Beyond.

We are on the same cruise and although we have never sailed on Iona, we have been on Arvia. Not just big ships, huge ships. NYE cruise will be very busy and we’re planning to book as much as possible beforehand. You won’t get the same service as either Regent or Celebrity. No evening turn down, no robes, no chocolates. None of these matter to us. We love the choice of dining and entertainment, are never bored and also love to dress up for Celebration nights. Hoping there will be three. 

• Like 3

On Iona at the moment. Booked Epicurean, Sindhu,  Beach House and Chef's Table 2 weeks ahead but didn't do it at midnight. But there's only one of me. I also booked the Limelight both weeks. Next week is Gareth Gates whom I wanted to see ,but I like the food and ambience there so booked La Voix on Tuesday and s/he was actually very funny and enjoyable. 

Did a booking at Olive Grove for tonight, and also got a couple of sessions at the 710 club. These go very quickly on boarding day, but are worth going to.

So far I've only eaten in the MDR once, perfectly acceptable food but I like the variety on Iona. Bought the Deluxe drinks package and finding it better value than the Classic one. It includes doubles of premium spirits and mixers,  premium cocktails and large glasses of the nicer wines. A beer drinker might not get such good value.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

5 minutes ago, Clodia said:

On Iona at the moment. Booked Epicurean, Sindhu,  Beach House and Chef's Table 2 weeks ahead but didn't do it at midnight. But there's only one of me. I also booked the Limelight both weeks. Next week is Gareth Gates whom I wanted to see ,but I like the food and ambience there so booked La Voix on Tuesday and s/he was actually very funny and enjoyable. 

Did a booking at Olive Grove for tonight, and also got a couple of sessions at the 710 club. These go very quickly on boarding day, but are worth going to.

So far I've only eaten in the MDR once, perfectly acceptable food but I like the variety on Iona. Bought the Deluxe drinks package and finding it better value than the Classic one. It includes doubles of premium spirits and mixers,  premium cocktails and large glasses of the nicer wines. A beer drinker might not get such good value.

Keep the reports coming 

Sounds like you are  in for a great time

Where is Iona at the moment?

And how many nights do you have?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Clodia said:

Finding your report interesting as I’m on Iona for the first time in June. I’m also a solo traveller (but used to Aurora) so am especially interested in how you find it all. I’m thinking it’ll be a totally different experience but going with an open mind and so looking forward to it.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Angel57 said:

Finding your report interesting as I’m on Iona for the first time in June. I’m also a solo traveller (but used to Aurora) so am especially interested in how you find it all. I’m thinking it’ll be a totally different experience but going with an open mind and so looking forward to it.

June on Iona should be relatively calm and relaxed surely?

And it's already a calm and relaxed ship I think

Where are you heading to Angel?

1 hour ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

June on Iona should be relatively calm and relaxed surely?

And it's already a calm and relaxed ship I think

Where are you heading to Angel?

I’m on at the beginning of June and going to Norway.…… 

Now at Maspolomas in Gran Canaria finishing lunch. This is a 14 night cruise to the Canaries and Madeira which had the homeward itinerary changed due to strikes in Lisbon.  We lost the overnight and 2nd day there and Cadiz was replaced by la Coruna with an extra sea day. The first 2 days down here had rain but only moderately rough seas. Then the sun came out on day 3 making it warm enough to sit out on deck. It's 30 degrees here. Feels strange for mid November.  Food and entertainment have all been  very good. The jazz group in 710 club are outstanding. 

Epicurean was superb and glad I have another booking. Glass House and Olive Grove good. Sindhu tonight. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Clodia said:

Now at Maspolomas in Gran Canaria finishing lunch. This is a 14 night cruise to the Canaries and Madeira which had the homeward itinerary changed due to strikes in Lisbon.  We lost the overnight and 2nd day there and Cadiz was replaced by la Coruna with an extra sea day. The first 2 days down here had rain but only moderately rough seas. Then the sun came out on day 3 making it warm enough to sit out on deck. It's 30 degrees here. Feels strange for mid November.  Food and entertainment have all been  very good. The jazz group in 710 club are outstanding. 

Epicurean was superb and glad I have another booking. Glass House and Olive Grove good. Sindhu tonight. 

Brilliant

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/16/2023 at 9:23 AM, majortom10 said:

Don't forget that if you book Speciality Restaurants in advance you have to pay for them at time of booking and you cannot use OBC but you do get 20% discount on the price.

Hi,

Just thinking when you say you have to pay at the  time of booking how does this work if you were to bookthe Keel & Cow where you pay for items off the menu so not a fixed charge, also if you do pay when pre booking are you able to cancel when onboard and get the money refunded ?

cheers

rob

On 11/15/2023 at 10:36 PM, The Med said:

Thank you so much for the helpful replies, it’s much appreciated.

It was a bit of an impulse booking really, we wanted to be away over New Year, and having recently done long haul travel and also in addition small ship sailing we wanted something with no flights and lots going on.

I’m worried that the ship might be too big… I’m concerned about the queuing and waiting but on the upside we’re excited about all the choices of food and entertainment.

Our itinerary isn’t showing the gala/celebration nights yet but I expect that will happen nearer to departure date. 

Oh, another quick question. On another thread someone said that they booked main dining room for 6.30pm every night of the cruise so that they always had a table.

On our itinerary it’s saying no booking required for main restaurants?

Can you book nearer the time? I don’t fancy an hours wait as some have reported.

Good evening @The Med

We were recently on Iona to the Canary Islands.

Pre-book Epicurean is £24pp less your peninsular discount and £30pp on board.

Sindhu is £20 to pre-book less your discount.

20% discount less your loyalty discount is deducted from your final bill.

No loyalty discount is deducted until all of your onboard Credit is used.

We pre-booked 5 Sindhu and 4 Epicurean and booked 2 Sindhu and 2 Epicurean on board 

5.30pm was the only time we could book a MDR on board but we only went in once.

There was 2 formal nights on our 14 night cruise.

We pre-booked several evening shows on line.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cash123 said:

Hi,

Just thinking when you say you have to pay at the  time of booking how does this work if you were to bookthe Keel & Cow where you pay for items off the menu so not a fixed charge, also if you do pay when pre booking are you able to cancel when onboard and get the money refunded ?

cheers

rob

You can only book Keel & Cow onboard and not pre cruise.