Fur coat and no knickers

jaxw17

Just now, Interestedcruisefan said:

I fetch snacks from there. Sometimes sit there and eat them. Sometimes takes them to other places on the ship. For sure if I didnt think it was pleasant there for any reason (or even just over crowded) at the time I would move elsewhere 

In the Fjords more than once we read books looklng out to sea from in there I seem to remember

Must have been pleasant of we wouldn't have done

So you passed through. Just what I did, but I had to queue for 15 minutes for the ice cream and couldnt help but witness the food carnage and hear those nearby. Not a complaint just what I saw personally.

It's none of my business what people do as long as I am not party to it.  Therefore apart from trying to swim early morning and on one occasion just before closing, I chose to avoid the place apart from the collection/purchase of food.  My choice not forced on me by anyone or anything that was or wasn't happening.  However I do think anyone who would like to use the area (not me) should be able to do so without listening to foul language and inebriated people shouting at their children.  I have never blamed such behaviour on the drinks package, I just think that it's not fair on others that certain areas that people might want to use may be deemed as somewhere they feel they should avoid.

You've chosen as usual to dissect mine and others opinions, take comments out of context and tried to make them fit what you believe is being said.  

• Like 9

20 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Believe it or not I wanted an ice cream in the afternoon and strangely it was in that area. It is an observation no more than your comment on the Atrium as being a place to pass through. Before you say it The Quays ice cream shop was only serving the ice cream tea at that time so the Skydome was the obvious place to go.

I'm not playing your games, I still consider Majortom's view is his own and I concur with what he saw. 

I stick to my reply to Major Tom though MB

Nobody who doesn't like the sky dome atmosphere has to experience it unless they choose to go there. Plenty of quieter places to go to

What happens in there is only available to a small minority of cruisers regardless at any time.

Families clearly like to use it as they have entertainment happening in there. Which of course brings noise at times itself even without kids making noise. There's also the outdoor cinema making noise at times 

Not everyone using the skydome is a new cruiser. Not everyone is on an alcoholic drinks package. In fact only a small fraction will be. It's not something that P and O use to promote their cruises.

Raucous behavior is not happening ongoing. It's just busy and noisy most of the time. Whenever I've ¡even there I've seen no raucous behaviour. Never have on any cruise ship ever tbh.

If Major Tom walked by and looked at the skydome when you and I happened to be there at the time  he would obviously be immediately wrong about us 2 at least

Neither new cruisers or on the drinks package but choosing to goto skydome on occasions

If I have grandkids I may end up in the skydome during the day with them on occasions. Who knows?

Hopefully not often though!!!

Lol

Edited by Interestedcruisefan

21 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

So you passed through. Just what I did, but I had to queue for 15 minutes for the ice cream and couldnt help but witness the food carnage and hear those nearby. Not a complaint just what I saw personally.

It's none of my business what people do as long as I am not party to it.  Therefore apart from trying to swim early morning and on one occasion just before closing, I chose to avoid the place apart from the collection/purchase of food.  My choice not forced on me by anyone or anything that was or wasn't happening.  However I do think anyone who would like to use the area (not me) should be able to do so without listening to foul language and inebriated people shouting at their children.  I have never blamed such behaviour on the drinks package, I just think that it's not fair on others that certain areas that people might want to use may be deemed as somewhere they feel they should avoid.

You've chosen as usual to dissect mine and others opinions, take comments out of context and tried to make them fit what you believe is being said.  

I replied to what I think was entirely unfair comments about new cruisers and what they want to do on a cruise.

And totally disagree that P and O are targetting people who want to just get drunk and be loud and raucous etc

I've defended new cruisers and defended P and O adverts

Skydone is  just the place some families choose to go with a pool with outdoor entertainment that gets noisy ! Some get drunk. They are on holiday. I've not witnessed anything I could get upset about in there ever. And I always go there for snacks. 

You see you aren't complaining. Every one of your observations Is negative in this thread?

Anyway moving on what do you think about my suggestion that it's actually the fact the bigger ships allow and target families with kids that is causing experienced cruisers to prefer the adult only ships?

And that's not going to change. Basically if you want quieter cruises choose adults only. Don't consider Iona and Arvia. But let's not blame the ships or P and O for wanting to build ships that families want to go on and for allowing families to go on these ships

Ps I've realised why the Retreat is on the bigger ships?

A place to go for calm and to escape kids?

I never looked at it like that before. Before I just felt it was somewhere to go more exclusive (which we've tried) but don't need ourselves. 

If you don't like kids buzzing around you on holiday then I suppose it makes great sense

Just now, Interestedcruisefan said:

I stick to my reply to Major Tom though MB

Nobody who doesn't like the sky dome atmosphere has to experience it unless they choose to go there. Plenty of quieter places to go to

What happens in there is only available to a small minority of cruisers regardless at any time.

Families clearly like to use it as they have entertainment happening in there. Which of course brings noise at times itself even without kids making noise. There's also the outdoor cinema making noise at times 

Not everyone using the skydome is a new cruiser. Not everyone is on an alcoholic drinks package. In fact only a small fraction will be. It's not something that P and O use to promote their cruises.

Raucous behavior is not happening ongoing. It's just busy and noisy most of the time. Whenever I've ¡even there I've seen no raucous behaviour. Never have on any cruise ship ever tbh.

If Major Tom walked by and looked at the skydome when you are I happened to be there at the time  he would obviously be immediately wrong about us 2 at least

Neither new cruisers or on the drinks package but choosing to goto skydome on occasions

I've no idea when Majortom went or what he did there.  Like you or I he could have passed through at various times of the day.  I like him didn't like what I saw, that's our opinion, our view and no amount of challenging it will change it. 

• Like 1

Moving on as you  say, no I'm not negative overall and you know that.  However this goes back to the OP and the desire by some to take the michael out of them.  Just because you or I for that matter haven't encountered the things mentioned it doesn't mean it didn't happen.  I believe everyone has a right to their opinion, their views or whatever.

It can often be misguided, over stated or in some cases laughable but it's their view, their opinion and they should be able to state it without fear of derision or even sometimes (not by you or anyone on this thread I might add) a form of bullying.

I have no opinion on drinks packages, I've had them when they are free and I don't believe it's a factor in any way to these people's behaviour.  I do think there is an intergenerational thing in how some people perceive the loud, inebriated people they perceive they are seeing onboard.  A lot of cruisers would not frequently go to places where this sort of behaviour is quite normal and as a result are genuinely shocked.

It is one thing to avoid areas where loud groups congregate on land another entirely on a ship, something Carnival is beginning to acknowledge of the line which bears their name.

Prior to 2019 these incidents did happen but the behaviour wasn't tolerated - and I don't mean sunbed hogs and other pet complaints.  Now those who witness these events or have the misfortune to become involved are expected to be the ones who go away rather than the cruise staff taking the responsibility.

Clearly someone on Arvia did just that if people were removed. A step very much in the right direction.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Moving on as you  say, no I'm not negative overall and you know that.  However this goes back to the OP and the desire by some to take the michael out of them.  Just because you or I for that matter haven't encountered the things mentioned it doesn't mean it didn't happen.  I believe everyone has a right to their opinion, their views or whatever.

It can often be misguided, over stated or in some cases laughable but it's their view, their opinion and they should be able to state it without fear of derision or even sometimes (not by you or anyone on this thread I might add) a form of bullying.

I have no opinion on drinks packages, I've had them when they are free and I don't believe it's a factor in any way to these people's behaviour.  I do think there is an intergenerational thing in how some people perceive the loud, inebriated people they perceive they are seeing onboard.  A lot of cruisers would not frequently go to places where this sort of behaviour is quite normal and as a result are genuinely shocked.

It is one thing to avoid areas where loud groups congregate on land another entirely on a ship, something Carnival is beginning to acknowledge of the line which bears their name.

Prior to 2019 these incidents did happen but the behaviour wasn't tolerated - and I don't mean sunbed hogs and other pet complaints.  Now those who witness these events or have the misfortune to become involved are expected to be the ones who go away rather than the cruise staff taking the responsibility.

Clearly someone on Arvia did just that if people were removed. A step very much in the right direction.

All great points 

Loud behavior from people who've had a drink doesn't always warrant staff intervention either though

Always a fine balance there. Never easy at all. Plenty of times in the past stuff will have happened where staff haven't intervened when perhaps they should

Guess it also depends on the skillset of staff working in those areas as well

What's fun. What's loud. What's unacceptable. Kind of think fellow cruisers nearby might be better suited to judge that tbh. And maybe a quick stern word from a lady could stop it. 

I've experienced that on plane flights but not on cruises to date. Where fellow passengers have spoken out and had desired effect on loudmouths swearing. (Not cruise flights I may add)

Also I guess another place cruisers can choose to use more on sea days is their balcony to sit and read etc if they have one.  To really escape others. Wonder how many just stay on there during most of the day?

And are oblivious to the fact they are spending a day with 5,000 others

19 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Loud behavior from people who've had a drink doesn't always warrant staff intervention either though

Always a fine balance there. Never easy at all. Plenty of times in the past stuff will have happened where staff haven't intervened when perhaps they should

Totally agree. However as you know my opinion is very much swayed by being physically assaulted on Britannia and no action being taken by security.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, paularmstrong said:

I doubt the draught lager will be premium , Celebrity Tui NCL were not limited . 

Draught Moretti available in most bars on this ship.  Also Shipyard (American IPA) in a few bars.  If you fancy a craft beer or three, a good, varied selection of bottled ones across the ship, mostly half-litre.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Son of Anarchy said:

Draught Moretti available in most bars on this ship.  Also Shipyard (American IPA) in a few bars.  If you fancy a craft beer or three, a good, varied selection of bottled ones across the ship, mostly half-litre.

Thanks for that , may have to purchase drinks pack as so many sea days 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Also I guess another place cruisers can choose to use more on sea days is their balcony to sit and read etc if they have one.  To really escape others. Wonder how many just stay on there during most of the day?

Something Gareth Gates and his partner tried to do on the same cruise that I believe the OP was on. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Skydone is  just the place some families choose to go with a pool with outdoor entertainment that gets noisy !

On my cruise it was an indoor venue.  You will most likely not recall how I stated what a nice venue it was when the roof opened.  Having experienced Arvia with the roof shut I do not think I'd like the experience on Iona where the roof does not open.  Actually the opened roof had the effect of totally changing the ambience of the whole area and the arrival of a day of sunshine on a cruise with pretty dismal weather for the families onboard reduced the angry shouting from parents at their children.

Incidentally I recommended Arvia to my friends with their 11 year old daughter for their first cruise next August as at the time they booked in late June I was fairly confident P&O would sort out all the queue problems etc.  Every time I see another report like the OP's I worry a bit more I've directed them wrongly.  I truly believed that things would settle as they appear to have done on Iona, so I have skin in this game even if it isn't mine.

• Like 1

Hate to say it

But a school holiday first time cruise in August on Arvia is a hard cruise to figure out how everything works and best way of getting the most of a ship 

The more tips you can give them what to do pre-boarding bookings wise and on board the better I think

Your experience and knowledge and app tips etc could be invaluable for them 

Getting the best use from the app is also a skill people lean slowly on board if not pre-prepared I think

I do forget that  myself when wondering why  others don't love the app like I do. Experience of it helps.

Also the realities of needing to be up early if sitting by a pool is important. Often something people don't find out about til first sea day

Getting the 11 year old booked into kids club will make the daughters  holiday if she likes that kind of thing. Which should help the adults at the same time

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Hate to say it

But a school holiday first time cruise in August on Arvia is a hard cruise to figure out how everything works and best way of getting the most of a ship 

The more tips you can give them what to do pre-boarding bookings wise and on board the better I think

Your experience and knowledge and app tips etc could be invaluable for them 

Assuming the app is working ok - getting the best use from it is also a skill people lean slowly on board if not pre-prepared I think

Also the realities of needing to be up early if sitting by a pool is important. Often something people don't find out about til first sea day

Yes I know.  The husband is very good with IT and organised so he will be okay on that - he's taking notes! At the end of the day it had to be August and it was Arvia or Anthem at over £7,000 for two less days. I genuinely think they'll like a lot Arvia offers, particularly by not geing stuffy or over expensive.  I've told them why it's not for me, we discussed it warts and all, but all agreed the positives outweigh the negative in their case.  They have one of the cabins with a big balcony, pools etc not really vital for them. They will like the promenade seating..

As you know it's very hard to choose something in August at a reasonable cost - their daughter was £199.  Last year they did WDW Florida for the second time and although unhappy with the expense compared to the previous time managed the app and IT stuff fine.

I've just got my fingers crossed they're lucky with the weather and then hopefully the "over zealous" may be a little less so and as a result everyone can be chilled.

Edited by Megabear2
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Yes I know.  The husband is very good with IT and organised so he will be okay on that - he's taking notes! At the end of the day it had to be August and it was Arvia or Anthem at over £7,000 for two less days. I genuinely think they'll like a lot Arvia offers, particularly by not geing stuffy or over expensive.  I've told them why it's not for me, we discussed it warts and all, but all agreed the positives outweigh the negative in their case.  They have one of the cabins with a big balcony, pools etc not really vital for them. They will like the promenade seating..

As you know it's very hard to choose something in August at a reasonable cost - their daughter was £199.  Last year they did WDW Florida for the second time and although unhappy with the expense compared to the previous time managed the app and IT stuff fine.

I've just got my fingers crossed they're lucky with the weather and then hopefully the "over zealous" may be a little less so and as a result everyone can be chilled.

Is it Mediterranean ?

If so weather should be good and less sea days so that helps?

3 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Is it Mediterranean ?

If so weather should be good and less sea days so that helps?

Yes but 8 seadays out of 14.  Arvia has only 6 ports or 5 plus an overnight on her schedules.  Mine was also Mediterranean but this season seems to have been either tons of rain and wind or burnt to a frazzle!

Edited by Megabear2

3 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Yes but 8 seadays out of 14.  Arvia has only 6 ports or 5 plus an overnight on her schedules.  Mine was also Mediterranean but this season seems to have been either tons of rain and wind or burnt to a frazzle!

Wow that seems a lot of seadays 

However of course kids like seadays for more kids club stuff with their friends 

Only done one Mediterranean cruise in August a decade ago ish on Carnival Vista. That was a ship really aimed at families. 

Can't remember any problems at all 

Nor how many seadays for that matter

With what they've likely saved by not using RCL maybe the parents could consider the Retreat if they think the daughter will be spending seadays in kids club (if not their balcony)

5 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Only done one Mediterranean cruise in August a decade ago ish on Carnival Vista. That was a ship really aimed at families. 

With what they've likely saved by not using RCL maybe the parents could consider the Retreat if they think the daughter will be spending seadays in kids club (if not their balcony)

I think they'll be doing escape room and stuff. They spend most of their time with their daughter as she was adopted and a very much wanted late arrival after years of failed IVF.  I mentioned the teens club for the evening and that seems popular with all three.

• Thanks 1

On Arvia just now. Sea day today. Enjoying it so far had pier runner yesterday. Lucky young man got on just before 6 pm. Announcement made by captain when it’s says 5.30 pm to be back on board it means 5.30pm. No idea if happens again if others will be so lucky. 

First time on ship, massive on seeing it in barbados. Ship pretty much full but don’t feel it.

Highlight so far was Mary Mac in limelight club was brilliant. Twist on songs so funny. 

Only seen one other piece of entertainment so far. The band and singer that plays in limelight after show. Singer imo was just ok. Seen better. 

We also have drink package and imo is totally worth it. Having an enjoyable time using it and trying out all the cocktails, wines and spirits, coffees, tea’s,

mocktails. Each to their own. Works for us.

Have used the keel

and cow for dinner and breakfast. Very good. 

Beach house twice very good. 

The Glass house was just yum and wine excellent.

Been to the Quay for breakfast along with the 6th street diner. Both very good.

sit down breakfast in the zenith and meridian again excellent.

Staff all

work hard and any we have engaged with have been very friendly and full of smiles.  

internet has been excellent also have the full it package and is working a great.

• Like 13

4 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

I think they'll be doing escape room and stuff. They spend most of their time with their daughter as she was adopted and a very much wanted late arrival after years of failed IVF.  I mentioned the teens club for the evening and that seems popular with all three.

Perfect 

3 minutes ago, Barbadossunshine said:

On Arvia just now. Sea day today. Enjoying it so far had pier runner yesterday. Lucky young man got on just before 6 pm. Announcement made by captain when it’s says 5.30 pm to be back on board it means 5.30pm. No idea if happens again if others will be so lucky. 

First time on ship, massive on seeing it in barbados. Ship pretty much full but don’t feel it.

Highlight so far was Mary Mac in limelight club was brilliant. Twist on songs so funny. 

Only seen one other piece of entertainment so far. The band and singer that plays in limelight after show. Singer imo was just ok. Seen better. 

We also have drink package and imo is totally worth it. Having an enjoyable time using it and trying out all the cocktails, wines and spirits, coffees, tea’s,

mocktails. Each to their own. Works for us.

Have used the keel

and cow for dinner and breakfast. Very good. 

Beach house twice very good. 

The Glass house was just yum and wine excellent.

Been to the Quay for breakfast along with the 6th street diner. Both very good.

sit down breakfast in the zenith and meridian again excellent.

Staff all

work hard and any we have engaged with have been very friendly and full of smiles.  

internet has been excellent also have the full it package and is working a great.

Keep the reports coming. Feel like I'm on holiday again!!!

Have you got bookings for 710 club?

Glad to hear Mary Mac is back in limelight

We loved Mary Mac and also the meal in there 

Brilliant fillet steak 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Amazing how many people spend hours on their balcony's ,the simple answer is that they 

actually enjoy time spent there ,not always to avoid the crowds . We have even done this

on port days and looking around plenty of other folk chose to do the same .

We have the option to have a wander around the ship or maybe a nice meal if and when we feel like moving .We have never booked them to avoid the crowds but admit it does help sometimes .

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Your Carnival cruise was presumably a fly cruise, only Azura does Med fly cruises, and these have 2 sea days per 7 day cruise, which is 4 on a 14 nt cruise,  as opposed to normally 7 on a 14 nt roundtrip Southampton med cruise on P&O, although this can be reduced to 4 or 5 on some Princess or RCI cruises.

• Like 2