Bring own 1 cup coffee maker onboard?

KKB

1 hour ago, Number12 said:

Carnival has an exhaustive list of prohibited items on their website, please read it.

1 hour ago, Number12 said:

Seems perfectly fine. I've used them before.

17 minutes ago, mz-s said:

Carnival has an exhaustive list of prohibited items on their website, please read it.

And, if you had looked at the product, you'll see that it doesn't use electricity at all, it is merely a funnel.  I don't see funnels as prohibited?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

And, if you had looked at the product, you'll see that it doesn't use electricity at all, it is merely a funnel.  I don't see funnels as prohibited?

They are not but if you don't direct people to Carnival's site you'll get pages and pages of "whataboutthis" and almost surely some people giving wrong information just trying to be helpful. I think it's better for people to get information like this directly from the source.

On 11/21/2023 at 12:44 PM, TravelBluebird said:

Hubby and I are useless without a decent espresso coffee in the morning. On Venezia, it was so easy for us with the espresso machine right by our room in the Terrazza area. On Excel class ships, we try to find the closest machine that is NOT Java Blue (long lines!) often that has been the Havana Bar as we often have our room on 9th floor.  THis week’s trip, we are in a 12th floor balcony, so I have NO idea where the coffee stop will be!

Hush...Havana has great coffee

15 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

And the most common failure of a coffee maker is the "auto-off" switch, even UL listed units.

If you bought it at a store in the USA - it IS UL listed. No manufacturer can get insurance without it.

The most common failure of a coffee maker isn't the auto-off switch (because that itself will never cause a fire) - it is the thermal fuse.

...and he most common failure of a curling iron/flat iron is the exact same thermal fuse.

On 11/15/2023 at 3:32 PM, KKB said:

I'm GUESSING I can't but figured I'll ask...

I have a lightweight coffee maker I take to Vegas...was wondering if they will let me bring that onboard or will it be confiscated?

Since I won't have the drink package this time, I'm looking for ways to get some decent coffee...

I bring on my own creamer cups. It helps with their cheap mud coffee...

29 minutes ago, aborgman said:

If you bought it at a store in the USA - it IS UL listed. No manufacturer can get insurance without it.

The most common failure of a coffee maker isn't the auto-off switch (because that itself will never cause a fire) - it is the thermal fuse.

...and he most common failure of a curling iron/flat iron is the exact same thermal fuse.

Right, forgot about your use of semantics and pedantry.  What I refer to as the "auto-off" switch, is the thermal switch that shuts off the reservoir heating element when the reservoir is empty, so the plastic reservoir doesn't melt and catch fire.  The timer switch that shuts off the warming hot plate under the glass or metal carafe is not really a safety feature.

And, yes, the same type of thermal switch is used in clothes steamers (banned because of a thin plastic reservoir), and hair care appliance (that has more metal parts and thicker plastic, so less of a potential danger).

5 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Right, forgot about your use of semantics and pedantry.  What I refer to as the "auto-off" switch, is the thermal switch that shuts off the reservoir heating element when the reservoir is empty, so the plastic reservoir doesn't melt and catch fire.  The timer switch that shuts off the warming hot plate under the glass or metal carafe is not really a safety feature.

There is no "reservoir heating element" in a drip coffee maker.

In really old drip coffee makers there is a U-tube heating element that heats the water (connected to the reservoir with insulating tubing so it can't conduct heat to the reservoir), and a second element that heats the hot plate.

On those old coffee makers there are 4 "switches" - the thermal switch that shuts off the drip heating element, a thermal fuse that permanently shuts off all heating elements, a timer switch that shuts off the hot plate, and a thermal fuse that permanently shuts off the all heating elements. Two are functionality, two are safety.

In newer drip coffee makers - it's a single heating element that heats water for the drip plus the hot plate, and it is controlled by two "switches"  - a thermal switch plus a thermal fuse which permanently cuts all power. One is functionality, one is safety.

"And, yes, the same type of thermal switch is used in clothes steamers (banned because of a thin plastic reservoir), and hair care appliance (that has more metal parts and thicker plastic, so less of a potential danger)."

That will comes as big news to fire regulators.

Drip coffee makers account for about 20 fires per year in the USA, curling irons account for about 400 - and drip coffee makers are much, much more widely used.

2 hours ago, mz-s said:

I think it's pretty easy to understand that a curling iron is more dangerous than a coffee maker but Carnival has to choose their battles. There's no way they can ban curling irons.

MSC and Viking per their posted rules do not allow any hair irons.