Island Princess being sold?

CruzenDoc

41 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Actually, the data on your current Medallion app as well as mine is uploaded from a centralized PCL database. For example, the same database your PCL Personalizer logs into is the same database your Medallion app logs into, and I would imagine so will the new Princess app. There will be no “transfer” of data from the “old” app to the “new” app.

Now, once onboard the app may also access data from a shipboard system or some database which maintains the data for that current cruise you’re on.

But then that’s just my opinion sitting over here in the peanut gallery. 😁

IDK for certain - and perhaps you don't either - but my impression/understanding of this whole thing from the get-go is that the Princess App runs off a separate database from the reservation system (POLAR).  There is at least a one-way feed from POLAR to App DB.  There is likely a reverse feed for things like ID/Pswd and not sure off the top what else.  I believe a large amount of the issues have been data-related and that also points to the fact of a separate database for the App.  If it was a common DB, there would not be data corruption issues.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

IDK for certain - and perhaps you don't either - but my impression/understanding of this whole thing from the get-go is that the Princess App runs off a separate database from the reservation system (POLAR).  There is at least a one-way feed from POLAR to App DB.  There is likely a reverse feed for things like ID/Pswd and not sure off the top what else.  I believe a large amount of the issues have been data-related and that also points to the fact of a separate database for the App.  If it was a common DB, there would not be data corruption issues.

You’re right, I haven’t got a clue as I don’t work in the PCL IT department. Just guessing. But I would imagine there is no data stored in the “old” app that needs to be directly transferred to the “new” app once it’s uploaded to someone’s device once it becomes available around Dec 1st. 

1 hour ago, memoak said:

Just wondering how they are going to contact every single guest and if the message goes to a spam folder what will happen ?

I guess we’ll find out once they introduce the new App, whenever that might be. All I know is that I’ll be checking every day starting December 1 to see if it’s available for download from the App Store, and I’m sure we’ll read about it here on CC! 😂

Edited by Ken the cruiser

1 hour ago, Ken the cruiser said:

You’re right, I haven’t got a clue as I don’t work in the PCL IT department. Just guessing. But I would imagine there is no data stored in the “old” app that needs to be directly transferred to the “new” app once it’s uploaded to someone’s device once it becomes available around Dec 1st. 

That part I do agree with.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

I guess we’ll find out once they introduce the new App, whenever that might be. All I know is that I’ll be checking every day starting December 1 to see if it’s available for download from the App Store, and I’m sure we’ll read about it here on CC! 😂

I will be afraid to download anything for a bit. I have a short 10 day Mexico trip tn January. Might worry more for my Hawaii trip in April

6 minutes ago, memoak said:

I will be afraid to download anything for a bit. I have a short 10 day Mexico trip tn January. Might worry more for my Hawaii trip in April

We’re on a 30-day B2B on the Sapphire starting Jan 20, so I’m not sure we have a choice, especially if the rumors on the other thread are true that the old app will be put to rest the end of January. But as with most things, time will tell. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

We’re on a 30-day B2B on the Sapphire starting Jan 20, so I’m not sure we have a choice, especially if the rumors on the other thread are true that the old app will be put to rest the end of January. But as with most things, time will tell. 

Ours is January on the Crown and have heard nothing from Princess. Me thinks this may be a big nothing burger 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, memoak said:

I will see you on board   I was born in Oakland and lived in the East Bay until about 5 years ago 

I've been in Fremont since 1994 but wasn't born here. Love it here. Just wish it wasn't so expensive.

7 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Actually, the data on your current Medallion app as well as mine is uploaded from a centralized PCL database. For example, the same database your PCL Personalizer logs into is the same database your Medallion app logs into, and I would imagine so will the new Princess app. There will be no “transfer” of data from the “old” app to the “new” app.

Now, once onboard the app may also access data from a shipboard system or some database which maintains the data for that current cruise you’re on.

But then that’s just my opinion sitting over here in the peanut gallery. 😁

Mine too as someone who has been programming computers since 1977. 🙂

Someone said they have two databases. That would explain A LOT. But even so, these are still databases stored on the network/in the could/on the internet and not on your app.

People might wonder why they have two databases. People always want us developers to make new features and new products in less time than it really takes. So we make expedient decisions that bite us in the butt later. 😄

In this case, my theory is that they contracted with a company to make the app and that company didn't have the access it needed to the main database during development so they wrote their own and some scripts to sync them. Just a guess based on having to do things like that in the past and also on the sorts of complaints I've seen here.

6 hours ago, memoak said:

Just wondering how the are going to contact every single guest and if the message goes to a spam folder what will happen ?

In-app messaging if they are smart. Plus messaging on the website when you log into the personalizer.

But even if some people show up on embarkation day with the old app, it's simple enough to download a new one.

• Thanks 1

On 11/19/2023 at 12:36 PM, DCThunder said:

Island is/was supposed to go to a drydock session sometime in 2024 before the world cruise starts.  Would Princess spend the dough to do a refurb in drydock if they were going to sell the ship?  Maybe it's like painting the house and putting in new carpeting before you put it on MLS to sell, but I'd think doing a ship drydock is a lot more costly than doing some painting in the living room.

It's not like painting your house before selling it, it is more like having to do repairs to your car in order to obtain the annual safety sticker.  Don't do the repairs, don't get the sticker.  Dry docks (not hotel side refurbishments, as a PP noted) are mandatory within a fixed time frame, so when it comes time to dry dock, you have to dry dock, or you will lose your "certificate of class" (that safety sticker), and without that, you lose the ability to enter or leave any port, as the certificate of class must be presented to the port authorities at every port.  In general, without a certificate of class, the ship can also lose their "registry" (think of your car's title) from the flag state.  So, the only way Princess can avoid the cost of a dry dock prior to selling, is to complete the sale before the dry dock is due.

• Thanks 4

On 11/19/2023 at 12:36 PM, DCThunder said:

Island is/was supposed to go to a drydock session sometime in 2024 before the world cruise starts.  Would Princess spend the dough to do a refurb in drydock if they were going to sell the ship?  Maybe it's like painting the house and putting in new carpeting before you put it on MLS to sell, but I'd think doing a ship drydock is a lot more costly than doing some painting in the living room.

The world cruise starts about January 5, so something about that timing seems off. The Island is in terrible shape and it’s unbelievable they are using it for world cruises. After our 2023 World we cancelled the 2024.  During the 2023 they announced the itinerary for 2025.  Someone shouted out, “What ship?”.   When they said it was the Island, the crowd booed.  That crowd was on the Island doing a World Cruise.  

1 hour ago, jeno said:

The Island is in terrible shape and it’s unbelievable they are using it for world cruises.

Please describe your assessment of "terrible shape" since it doesn't jibe with the 2023 world cruise live report that was posted here on CC, not the most recent ship tour videos found on YouTube.

What is so terrible?

44 minutes ago, SargassoPirate said:

Please describe your assessment of "terrible shape" since it doesn't jibe with the 2023 world cruise live report that was posted here on CC, not the most recent ship tour videos found on YouTube.

What is so terrible?

I just got off the Island on a 14 day cruise and have absolutely no complaints about the ship. It was my first time on the Island and definitely would sail on her again. 

• Thanks 1

we are CURRENTLY on the Island P for 28 days..... our first time on this ship....I was nervous based on some of the reviews but we really booked it for 

the 2 planned and now cancelled stops in Israel.

Since we boarded, we have found the ship to be in EXCELLENT condition throughout! As usual, the crew has been incredible ( they always are on Princess!)......our mini suite is in great shape and the food has been well above average.

we have been on at least 30 princess cruises on a lot of different ships....This cruise so far is in the top three! Like the poster above, I would cruise again on the Island P. in a minute and plan to do so.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, tml1230 said:

we are CURRENTLY on the Island P for 28 days..... our first time on this ship....I was nervous based on some of the reviews but we really booked it for 

the 2 planned and now cancelled stops in Israel.

Since we boarded, we have found the ship to be in EXCELLENT condition throughout! As usual, the crew has been incredible ( they always are on Princess!)......our mini suite is in great shape and the food has been well above average.

we have been on at least 30 princess cruises on a lot of different ships....This cruise so far is in the top three! Like the poster above, I would cruise again on the Island P. in a minute and plan to do so.

Thanks for your very current review.  Sounds like the ship is not in the "terrible shape" described by jeno.  I'm looking forward to spending 111 days on her in 2024.

19 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

Thanks for your very current review.  Sounds like the ship is not in the "terrible shape" described by jeno.  I'm looking forward to spending 111 days on her in 2024.

you are very welcome! I am looking forward to your reports on the world cruise!

Not for nuthin-  but we just retuned from the future cruise desk and booked a B2B  next November on the Island...we will be trying again to visit Israel..... same reserve class mini suite we are presently in.

I am trying real hard to find ONE thing on board that I am not satisfied with... 

other than a few loud speaking passengers.....nuthin!

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

Was just on Island P for 14 days cruising the Caribbean, and have zero complaints.  Great ship, fantastic crew, and amazing food.  My favorite ship (for my style of cruising) so far, and booked the 10 day Mediterranean cruise out of Rome in November 2024 on Island P.  Very much looking forward to it.

I had completely forgot about this thread until someone "liked" on of my posts. Since then we've booked the Island Princess for the March 2026 54 day cruise out of San Pedro in California. Got a great deal in a great cabin and now y'all have given me something to worry about. Granted that it's at the bottom of my worry list, but it's there...

It wouldn't hurt my feelings one bit if Princess sold the Island.  I was on it a few years ago after the renovation when they took out some public areas and added more staterooms.  Too crowded, lines for dining, theater, etc.  No thanks.  Never again.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, DHP1 said:

Evenly, it will be sold. Island Princess is getting old. 

In the Fall of 2022 we were on the Island Princess for a B2B2B of 38 days. It was our first time on that ship although we had sailed its sister the Coral Princess back in 2010 for our very first B2B. Yes, we found she was older but still well maintained and in good shape. Its layout was a little odd too but not as odd as the Dawn and Sun Princess ships. We were fortunate enough to attend the MTP luncheon on each leg and on the last one there was one passenger who ranted and raved about how OLD the ship was although I'd bet this person was close to four times the ship's age! This went on the whole lunch and the poor officer at our table dealt with it very nicely but the rest of us just didn't get a word in edgewise about anything else. Anyway, I digress. I for one and a fan of classic cars currently own two. One is completely restored and the other is a driveable, sound but unrestored classic. Our other non-classic cars (daily drivers), well, one is from the previous century, the other is two years into this century and the third is the newest had to replace a pickup from 1988 which was finally uneconomic to maintain any more (getting parts was a problem). So maybe I find the older ships just fine. No complaints here. They still look great, they run great (mostly) and they get the job done. It breaks my heart (a little) when I hear that a perfectly good ship HAS TO BE SOLD just because it's old. Yes, I do understand the economics too. Bigger equals more economies of scale, newer means more fuel efficient operation and lower maintenance costs. People like to book newer ships just because. I get it. Yes, the Island Princess will eventually be sold but I cross my fingers it will be after the March 2026 54 day cruise!