Island Princess being sold?

CruzenDoc

I heard a rumor that the Island Princess will be taken out of service the end of 2024.  Has anybody heard that or have any verifiable information regarding the plans for the Island?  Please, I am not trying to start a rumor but we are booked for the 12/24 TA so I am more than curious.

17 minutes ago, CruzenDoc said:

I heard a rumor that the Island Princess will be taken out of service the end of 2024.  Has anybody heard that or have any verifiable information regarding the plans for the Island?  Please, I am not trying to start a rumor but we are booked for the 12/24 TA so I am more than curious.

I can't give you a definitive answer to that, but based on the fact that you can currently book a cruise on the Island embarking on September 8 of 2025, it doesn't appear as though your December 2024 cruise would be in jeopardy.  However, stranger things have happened and who knows what corporate will decide in another 12 months.  🥴

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, CruzenDoc said:

Where did you hear this rumour?  Just curious.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, CruzenDoc said:

Allison on "Let's Go!  Travel Tips" on YouTube.

This might just top the list of the Things Allison Says...

You know what, anything can happen in this industry, but I'm really not feeling this rumor at all right now. The World Cruises and all...

If she's right, I'll give her some credit but, I mean...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Well, that is *somewhat* the story of the Pacific Princess in 2020. We were on the first leg  of a WC where we got off in LA. The ship continued on and made it as far as the Indian Ocean before it was recalled due to the pandemic. It wasn't too long after that it was sold to Azamara. Quite possible that it was the plan all along to sell it off after that WC.

• Like 1

Guest Michael4650
40 minutes ago, Lady Arwen said:

Sorry, but not the most reliable source of information.  

Not even close. More rumors than fact from that one. One of these days I will get my memoak screen name back. 

Guest Michael4650
Just now, Lady Arwen said:

@memoak?  What?  I’m confused!  Is this my CC friend?

Yes this is me   I have been logging in with just a screen name since 2004 and the system just knocked that out. I am trying to get my memoak screen name back and connected to my email address. But yes this is your old friend 

Island is/was supposed to go to a drydock session sometime in 2024 before the world cruise starts.  Would Princess spend the dough to do a refurb in drydock if they were going to sell the ship?  Maybe it's like painting the house and putting in new carpeting before you put it on MLS to sell, but I'd think doing a ship drydock is a lot more costly than doing some painting in the living room.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

Well, that is *somewhat* the story of the Pacific Princess in 2020. We were on the first leg  of a WC where we got off in LA. The ship continued on and made it as far as the Indian Ocean before it was recalled due to the pandemic. It wasn't too long after that it was sold to Azamara. Quite possible that it was the plan all along to sell it off after that WC.

We were booked for an Alaska cruisetour on the Pacific Princess in September of 2020, so I don't think the original plan was to sell after that WC.  The pandemic seemed to accelerate plans to sell a couple of different ships earlier than scheduled, the Pacific and the Sun specifically.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, DCThunder said:

Island is/was supposed to go to a drydock session sometime in 2024 before the world cruise starts.  Would Princess spend the dough to do a refurb in drydock if they were going to sell the ship?  Maybe it's like painting the house and putting in new carpeting before you put it on MLS to sell, but I'd think doing a ship drydock is a lot more costly than doing some painting in the living room.

Drydock doesn't mean refurbishment.

They have to be go through a drydock every few years for safety and inspection reasons.

The cruise line may or may not do some cosmetic changes during a typical 2 weeks drydock, but actual major refurbishment is rarer, particularly in a relatively short 2 week standard drydock.. perhaps some soft furnishings and carpets - but standard drydock is about the physical structure and engines, etc themselves.  Hull scraping, inspections, thrusters cleaned, paint, and so forth.

Generally speaking, Princess has their ships in for drydock every 3 or so years. It's like a major oil change/service inspection for your car. You're not ripping out the interior every time, just ensuring you are safe, clean and ready to go - with the certification required.. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, kamelia said:

We were booked for an Alaska cruisetour on the Pacific Princess in September of 2020, so I don't think the original plan was to sell after that WC.  The pandemic seemed to accelerate plans to sell a couple of different ships earlier than scheduled, the Pacific and the Sun specifically.

A lot changed during the pandemic. Who would have thought that Azamara would have been sold off from RCCL family either. I doubt that was in the cards either.

I doubt CCL had planned to get rid of a ton of ships quickly either. I agree that the pandemic accelerated a lot as no income was coming in.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 1