Jim_Iain Live - 2nd Half World Cruise - B2B Singapore to Down Under 11/25 – 12/21

Jim_Iain

18 hours ago, chemmo said:

Do you think your ship is just a bit ‘off standard’ or a reflection that there are so many suite guests to serve? A general E class issue or ship based?

I have a feeling that it has to do with the management of the dining room and kitchen.   It is exacerbated by many new staff that are not properly trained and follow up or follow through.

The size of Luminae on E-Class is a challenge but if one is selling a individually prepared meals to order that is what should be delivered.   For that reason I have a feeling we will be avoiding E-Class and especially Ascent and newer ships.     I just don't believe they can deliver the type of service we are accustomed to on M an S class ships.     The Main Dining rooms on the other hand are setup to handle the masses and don't portend to prepare meals individually.

• Like 6

17 hours ago, emmas gran said:

We ate earlier but service could be slow 30 minutes between courses, we tended to eat around 7 to 7.30 so you could say it was peak time.Sometimes it was as if a sauce was missed on pasta and the plate was hot but food lukewarm to cold. We would mention it to the waiter and he would rectify it, but it should not happen.

Those are the same experience we have had.  We on the other hand go to dinner at 9:00 PM as the dining room is clearing.    One would not assume the kitchen to be backed up.

Many dishes we have had were missing elements.    One lunch the one with Chicken, ham and an egg on top.   When our waiter delivered it he noticed instantly the egg (the main star of the show) was missing from Iain's and said he would have it remade.   Iain said why don't you just bring the egg and I will slide it on top so mine would not get cold while we waited.  

Iain had trout last night and only had 1/4 -- over cooked and the sauce just didn't work.   Kumar was upset and wanted to bring him something else.    I had the Petite Filet and a baked potato.   Filet was perfect but the Baked Potato was cold inside -  the butter wouldn't even melt.   I know they don't bake to order but I use to work the broilers in a Steak House in University and my Potato drawer always kept them at a proper temperate.     As they usually wrap them in foil I would always pick them up to make sure they were still properly heated.

• Like 8

13 hours ago, billc23 said:

Jim, I am really enjoying your prose and photos. I studied the online iPhone course you recommended a while back yet do not have the ability to capture the essence and emotion of the experience like you do. You certainly have the photographer's eye and thank you for sharing.

As far as the food in Luminae, it is more of an E class problem in my opinion, and may apply to other ships, but is amplified on E class. Too many tables to individually cook the food in a timely manner, so more banquet style preparation. Ever work in a restaurant kitchen? Ever wonder how large chains, like The Cheesecake Factory, serve masses of customers in a timely manner with such an extensive menu? Not by cooking it fresh for each person. Prime rib is fine as is pot roast, pulled pork and brisket - since they are always cooked ahead of time. Lasagna is fine but carbonara not so much. A baked potato is fine but those fries need to be cooked in real time. Really need to choose wisely and then hope they use good quality ingredients.

The noise level in the dining areas on E class is a huge problem for me too. 

Agree with you 100%.    I of course did work in both a Steak House and a Lobster Restaurant.      We like many other cooked certain things ahead but for the most part still cooked all meats to order.   While Spaghetti noodles were cooked in advance and put in an ice bath and heated piping hot in a hot water bath prior to serving or saucing.

I have to say the Lasagna I had had been refrigerated and while heated was still not warm but Cold in the center.   Even Olive Garden would not do that.

• Like 7

11 hours ago, Azulann said:

Your pictures of the fjord is incredible. Just viewing them I felt so peaceful . Thank you 😍

It was a wonderful day sailing up and down the Sounds...   What a perfect day.    I did find that even in retreat there was no forward viewing area without glass -    I had to use my selfie stick to get above glass panels and just hope for a good picture. 

• Like 3

OK -- No more complaining about food.      For the most part the food has been Good but not what I had become accustomed to.     I'm generally not a negative person...

Iain told me I should have worn my T-Shirt I got in the UK.

image.thumb.png.2636915e17f85be05b58638af2d2c91f.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 12

14 hours ago, asnaleah said:

I wonder if this is indeed an E class problem. We have had excellent food in Luminae on Eclipse. Hot food hot, cold food cold, plates to match. However, there are no berries to be had. And I’m allergic to melons, so no fruit for me.

Edge has been incredible with fruit and berries.   We are still getting fresh Raspberries, Blackberries, Strawberries and Blueberries.     I've been having them daily with Greek Yogurt for Breakfast.

The Food and Beverage Manger, when I mentioned how much I was enjoying the Heirloom Tomatoes at the Zenith Lunch, said he was really pleased with the fruits and vegetables he is able to source in Australian and NZ.    He indicated one of the worst places was in Florida. 

• Like 9

6 hours ago, upwarduk said:

Any idea why there is a lifeboat in Milford sound?

A butler told me it was to bring Australian Immigration aboard.   I later learned that was not true as we will be clearing immigration at the terminal in Sydney.

No one said what they were doing.     They had both at Tender and a Smaller rescue boat as well as a additional Pilot boat.   By the appearance of he Pilot location I think it was to make sure we didn't go aground.    At that spot in front of the Falls Captain Matt did a 180  -   It was a really small basin so maybe just another set of eyes.    

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Redking said:

Might be tendering? They sometimes offer an overland overnight excursion between Milford and Dunedin (our vice versa) so that you can see Queenstown and parts of Otago. Jim?

From what I saw the boat never went ashore.   I have to believe they were spotters and possibly shooting some advertising promo as this was Edge first time here.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, terrydtx said:

Jim, this post was just posted on FB by a Retreat passenger on the Summit, have you heard anything about this on the Edge?

"Onboard Summit. Was told just now in the Retreat lounge by the bar server, confirmed by the Suite Manager and the F&B that they will upcharge for wines priced above the premium package. This is a big issue since ALL of the wines we used to drink are now above the premium package. Apparently has always been Celebrity policy but previously not an issue because the popular wines used to be within the premium package".

No word at all.    I think the next cruise may be a good indicator -  hope someone here is on the next cruise. 

I did mention earlier that Iain had a problem with the Luminae "Sommelier" trying to charge him for a bottle of wine that was available in many specialties by the glass.   When he spoke to the Cellar Master he apologized and said it was a training issue and not only sent a bottle to the room but also assured it would be available every night.     The "Sommelier" previously had told him there were only 2 bottles on the ship.   The Cellar Master said he had cases of it.   

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, terrydtx said:

The only way to book in the Retreat is with the PDP and Wi-Fi, no choice but to take the AI, unless you make a move up bid from a verandah with no AI.

With the exception of those in Blu Chip and Upgrades from fares without package.   Many on this cruise (upgrades).

5 hours ago, Redking said:

Might be tendering? They sometimes offer an overland overnight excursion between Milford and Dunedin (our vice versa) so that you can see Queenstown and parts of Otago. Jim?

Could also be for crew drills perhaps 🙂

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

I did mention earlier that Iain had a problem with the Luminae "Sommelier" trying to charge him for a bottle of wine that was available in many specialties by the glass.   When he spoke to the Cellar Master he apologized and said it was a training issue and not only sent a bottle to the room but also assured it would be available every night.     The "Sommelier" previously had told him there were only 2 bottles on the ship.   The Cellar Master said he had cases of it.   

That doesn't sound like a training issue, sounds more like a poor attitude and laziness by the sommelier. Perhaps he would be better off demoted back to the MDR and somebody more deserving with a better attitude should replace him. 😞

• Like 4

On 12/16/2023 at 7:38 PM, terrydtx said:

We got lucky on our flight from LAX to Sydney next month. We were able to upgrade from PE to BC on American for only $1200pp. Each Day AA has 1 night flight to Syd, but Qantas has 2 that leave within 90 minutes of each other, the AA flight 73 rarely runs with sold our BC so AA makes good deals for those who want to upgrade. I used the app Flight Aware to track passenger loads on the LAX to Sydney flights. Even today 23 days out our flight only had 25 of the 54 BC seats sold. PE is sold out and main cabin in about 75% sold.

On 11/19/2023 at 4:04 PM, Jim_Iain said:

Jim_Iain -  2nd Half World Cruise -  B2B Singapore to Down Under 11/25 – 12/21

Celebrity-Edge-at-sea.thumb.webp.a73e947d9da30fe24017237431e51e9a.webp

Welcome!    Come along and join us for another adventure.  

As an introduction we are Jim (who writes these Live Posts) and Iain, who ends up in most of the pictures.   We have been together 34 years -  or as Iain just said “34 long hard years”  LOL.

Are were  among of the first to be Gay Couples to be married in California.  We were legally married June 2008 days after the California Supreme Court ruled the restriction of Gay Marriage was illegal.   5 Months later California had a referendum to change the constitution and make it illegal again.   Luckily the State Supreme court ruled a small group of 4,000 marriage were grandfathered and would remain legal.  It was another 7 years before the Supreme Court Legalized Gay Marriage Nation Wide. 

We have 3 kids and 5 Grand Children.  

We live in Sunnyvale, CA which is in my mind is a small town of 160,000 in the heart to Silicon Valley.   Sunnyvale is about 50 miles south of San Francisco and 10 miles north of San Jose. 

Ok..  Enough of the background. 

Hey Jim. I’ve been so enthralled by your stories of cruising and phots that I’ve gone right back to the first post! Lol 😊

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

I have a feeling that it has to do with the management of the dining room and kitchen.   It is exacerbated by many new staff that are not properly trained and follow up or follow through.

The size of Luminae on E-Class is a challenge but if one is selling a individually prepared meals to order that is what should be delivered.   For that reason I have a feeling we will be avoiding E-Class and especially Ascent and newer ships.     I just don't believe they can deliver the type of service we are accustomed to on M an S class ships.     The Main Dining rooms on the other hand are setup to handle the masses and don't portend to prepare meals individually.

I think you are seeing the effect of having 176 and 198 suites on the Edge and Ascent vs 66 and 50 suites on the Silhouette and Summit.

• Like 7

6 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Those are the same experience we have had.  We on the other hand go to dinner at 9:00 PM as the dining room is clearing.    One would not assume the kitchen to be backed up.

Many dishes we have had were missing elements.    One lunch the one with Chicken, ham and an egg on top.   When our waiter delivered it he noticed instantly the egg (the main star of the show) was missing from Iain's and said he would have it remade.   Iain said why don't you just bring the egg and I will slide it on top so mine would not get cold while we waited.  

Iain had trout last night and only had 1/4 -- over cooked and the sauce just didn't work.   Kumar was upset and wanted to bring him something else.    I had the Petite Filet and a baked potato.   Filet was perfect but the Baked Potato was cold inside -  the butter wouldn't even melt.   I know they don't bake to order but I use to work the broilers in a Steak House in University and my Potato drawer always kept them at a proper temperate.     As they usually wrap them in foil I would always pick them up to make sure they were still properly heated.

Has anyone  ever had a hot bake potato on the ship ? 🤔😁

8 hours ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

Hopefully we'll see you onboard one of the HAL cruises in the near future

We are booked in a suite on the Volendam next August. Also did the California coastal last month on the Koningsdam and loved it.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Weelynn said:

Hi Jim. I’m interested in knowing more about the flight aware app. I can’t seem to find it in Uk I’ve found flight aware tracker but I don’t think this is it 😊

I am sorry actually the app I used to monitor flights and seats sold is Expert Flyer, not Flight Aware. Here is the link: Flight Availability | Upgrades | Frequent Flyer Information (expertflyer.com)

Edited by terrydtx
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

It was a wonderful day sailing up and down the Sounds...   What a perfect day.    I did find that even in retreat there was no forward viewing area without glass -    I had to use my selfie stick to get above glass panels and just hope for a good picture. 

We're in an SV for our Edge cruise, do you think we'll get good views of the sounds from there/

Denise