Frustration of trying to make an airline booking with Air NZ

I have just spent all morning trying to make an airline booking on Air NZ.  It it normal to spend a long time, which seemed even longer, to make a booking these days?

Whilst waiting, I tried to make an airline booking with Virgin on another device.  When they asked me for my travel bank number and how to use it, I hung up as I could only cope with one difficulty at a time.

Back to Air NZ.  The music was beautiful.  I eventually got a live person, who didn't have a friendly voice, so I guess he'd had a bad morning.  Still he answered my question.  My daughter and I can make separate bookings and they will link them later.  As she is only flying to accompany me, I have my fingers crossed that happens. 

Then a friendly lady came on to ask me to fill out a questionnaire.  In the meantime I had to answer a text from my daughter in Phuket.  Couldn't find my way back to the friendly lady, but I didn't know how to end the call.  So I continued with my computer work piling up.  Then another man came on to see what I needed.  I'd have loved to seen his face, when I said my question had been answered and I just wanted to know how to turn the call off.  So he put me back on the friendly lady, who kept repeating the question and I kept hitting buttons as directed,  Eventually, I got a button which let me escape and end the call.  Meanwhile on the computer, I got an automatic survey on the level of service, from 1.  Guess you already know, I gave a 1 for the first time in my life.  

At times like this, you realise what we've lost in the level customer service.  We used to have an Air NZ Office in Brisbane and I used to be a Member and fly with them frequently.  Now that I'm a Senior, I need that level of service back.  

• Like 3

Virgin Travelbank holds issued credits from them, for cancellations around their previous ownership and covid. If you have no credits with them, a travelbank number is irrelevant.

That level of customer service is still available by walking through the door of your local travel agency. 

5 minutes ago, arxcards said:

Virgin Travelbank holds issued credits from them, for cancellations around their previous ownership and covid. If you have no credits with them, a travelbank number is irrelevant.

That level of customer service is still available by walking through the door of your local travel agency. 

Thanks.  It did give me a long number.  I just need to work out how to use it before I make a flight booking with Virgin.  I haven't used a travel agent since the excellent girl I had used to use got promoted to management.  She was the first TA, who knew as much as I did!

• Like 3

5 hours ago, arxcards said:

That's provided that the large parent company has not decided to close your local travel agency.  Thanks heaps RAC!

5 minutes ago, Bubbeh said:

That's provided that the large parent company has not decided to close your local travel agency.  Thanks heaps RAC!

I felt sorry for all the TAs which closed.  We had two in our shopping centre but are both running again.  

7 minutes ago, icat2000 said:

Ive never had any issue booking with Air NZ. But I only do booking on the website.

Yes the website was ok to use, but I needed a quick answer from a live person before I made the on line booking.  I have now made the booking on line.. 

27 minutes ago, Galesa said:

I don't think ANY airline wants you making bookings by phone (any moore)

I agree, but you should be able to talk to a live person or email a live person if you need a question answered before you can make the booking on line.  The chat non person which answers questions is useless.  The final insult, after inputting all the information about your booking yet again, is would you like for me to transfer you to the on line booking website. NO!

I have been caught in America not being able to contact a live person, re flights, so missed spending Christmas with friends.  

16 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

I felt sorry for all the TAs which closed.  We had two in our shopping centre but are both running again.

The thing is that the this TA which by all accounts was the most popular in the area was only closed fairly recently, not during COVID!  Whenever I went past it always seemed to be busy with us oldies asking questions or booking trips.  Such a shame, the manager did a wonderful job and the staff were knowledgeable and helpful.  I now book directly with the company but I do have concerns about losing the middle person who had my best interests (and continued custom) at heart.  😨

Have only travelled with Air NZ once (loved it, btw) which we booked through a TA as we required several domestic connecting flights in the US. Very smooth process with only one minor hiccup with one of the domestic flights on the return journey which our TA sorted very speedily.