Ultimate Balcony Dinner - Tell me more!

charliedalrymple

I've heard of the Ultimate Balcony Dinner but have never considered doing it before.  However, it might be fun on our upcoming 14-day NZ cruise, as the weather will be warm (if not hot).  I'd like to hear more about it, as well as personal experiences and whether you think it's worth it.  Thanks!

I've done it probably 10 times.

Outstanding.

They set up the table on your balcony, including the flowers that you'll get to keep, photographer comes and takes a few photos - one of which is included.

Welcome cocktail arrives, as do the hors d'oeuvres and bread basket.

Followed them by wine and first course, crab cake 

Then walnut and pear salad. 

Then main, filet or lobster tail or both. (Or substitutions, within reason - I get a ribeye).

Then dessert - the amazing chocolate berry concoction only available through this meal. Then petit fours.

Waiters serve course by course and wait in the hallway in the meantime.  

It's spectacular. Yes, you can make substitutions, within reason. 

I always book in advance to ensure my day, and then settle the time aboard.. I also try to book early in the cruise, so we can enjoy the flowers a little longer..

Room service usually contacts you to come by, go over the menu, answer questions, get cocktail order (can be virtually any cocktail or a glass of wine or prosecco, etc), red or white wine, and set time for set-up.

We've had as many as 6 on our balcony on Regal, and as few as two.  We usually bring a few battery operated tea lites to add a little ambience... 

Enjoy!! 

(A few shots below)

DSC_0631.JPG

DSC_0623.JPG

DSC_0857.JPG

DSC_0629.JPG

DSC_0621.JPG

DSC_0855.JPG

DSC_0624.JPG

DSC_0848.JPG

DSC_0856.JPG

DSC_0851.JPG

DSC_0863_1.JPG

DSC_0625.JPG

DSC_0628.JPG

• Like 9

32 minutes ago, reedprincess said:

I've done it probably 10 times.

Outstanding.

Thanks for the amazingly detailed description and timeline of events, as well as all the photos.  This gives me a really clear idea of what it is and is just what I was looking for.  Based on your post, I think we will go for it.  Thanks so much!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, charliedalrymple said:

Thanks for the amazingly detailed description and timeline of events, as well as all the photos.  This gives me a really clear idea of what it is and is just what I was looking for.  Based on your post, I think we will go for it.  Thanks so much!

Worth every single penny every time I've done it..

It's wonderful.  Enjoy!! 

Edited by reedprincess
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, charliedalrymple said:

I've heard of the Ultimate Balcony Dinner but have never considered doing it before.  However, it might be fun on our upcoming 14-day NZ cruise, as the weather will be warm (if not hot).  I'd like to hear more about it, as well as personal experiences and whether you think it's worth it.  Thanks!

Agree with others, our favorite meal OB.  We do it once on every cruise.  
We usually chose a port day, just before sail a way, or just at sunset leaving the port.  Beautiful backdrop and peaceful. Be sure to check the weather ahead.  I had to cancel one because rain was forecast and storms for Tahiti tomorrow.  You can reschedule or cancel up to 24 hours before the UBD.

Enjoy!

Edited by PacnGoNow
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Grammy J said:

Does it work as well on a standard size balcony?  Is there enough room? Would love to try it.  

I was on the Royal Princess a few years ago in a standard Balcony and had the special ‘Breakfast’. Felt the balcony was too small, so had them setup inside. It was tight.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Grammy J said:

Does it work as well on a standard size balcony?  Is there enough room? Would love to try it.  

Yes. We've done it on every ship type sailing, including standard balcony cabins on Royal class ships at 9x4. Works just fine. We found it to be plenty of space. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

@reedprincess thank you for sharing! How much is this? I’m thinking about gifting this to my friends. One of my friends though is allergic to shellfish did they happen to ask if there were any allergies? Unfortunately, he would not be able to have crab cake or lobster. 

Yes, they do ask if any allergies. You could have filet mignon instead. Or, they can just ask for options.

They will love it!

It is $110 per cabin. Right now, anyway.  🥴

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

@reedprincess thank you for sharing! How much is this? I’m thinking about gifting this to my friends. One of my friends though is allergic to shellfish did they happen to ask if there were any allergies? Unfortunately, he would not be able to have crab cake or lobster. 

Of course they ask if there's any allergies, intolerances, etc. they have accommodated every allergy any of anyone in my group(s) has had including to garlic, gluten, eggs, etc..

It's $110 for 2. Pre-booking via Cruise Personalizer online. Or order via room service aboard and hope they have space. They only have 2-4 a night, max, given labor intensity, etc.

42 minutes ago, seagunthera said:

I have three in my cabin- two teens and myself. Does anyone know how they do pricing for more than two?

$55 for the extra person

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, PacnGoNow said:

Yes, they do ask if any allergies. You could have filet mignon instead. Or, they can just ask for options.

They will love it!

It is $110 per cabin. Right now, anyway.  🥴

$110 per cabin of two.  Or, $55 per additional guest. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, April Jewel said:

Thanks for all the information, it looks lovely.

Is the gratuity included in the $110? Do you tip more if the service is very good?

Thank you.

It is included, but we do tip additional. The service has always far exceeded our expectations.

JMO

• Like 2

19 hours ago, PacnGoNow said:

Agree with others, our favorite meal OB.  We do it once on every cruise.  
We usually chose a port day, just before sail a way, or just at sunset leaving the port.  Beautiful backdrop and peaceful. Be sure to check the weather ahead.  I had to cancel one because rain was forecast and storms for Tahiti tomorrow.  You can reschedule or cancel up to 24 hours before the UBD.

Enjoy!

The most fun balcony dinner we had was in St. Thomas.  While the waiters were away collecting even more food, it started raining so DH and I moved everything inside and grabbed hand towels for napkins.  The waiters came back and were horrified, but DH and I were laughing so hard, they realized we weren't going to complain.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, BabsinTX said:

The most fun balcony dinner we had was in St. Thomas.  While the waiters were away collecting even more food, it started raining so DH and I moved everything inside and grabbed hand towels for napkins.  The waiters came back and were horrified, but DH and I were laughing so hard, they realized we weren't going to complain.

My late wife and I did one in Honolulu on the Star one year. We were about halfway through the meal when the heavens opened up as a thunderstorm rolled through. Thankfully, we were on the Caribe deck, so it was just a case of dragging the tables and chairs under the overhang and we got to watch natures fireworks for the rest of the meal 

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, polmcs said:

My late wife and I did one in Honolulu on the Star one year. We were about halfway through the meal when the heavens opened up as a thunderstorm rolled through. Thankfully, we were on the Caribe deck, so it was just a case of dragging the tables and chairs under the overhang and we got to watch natures fireworks for the rest of the meal 

Which is exactly what we could have done today!  Lol

Picture off of the Caribe deck,

It rained earlier, but this evening,

it’s beautiful in Papeete!  🥴

image.thumb.jpeg.836e490c46e7f977acb382b52291bc76.jpeg

1 hour ago, PacnGoNow said:

Which is exactly what we could have done today!  Lol

Picture off of the Caribe deck,

It rained earlier, but this evening,

it’s beautiful in Papeete!  🥴

I recognize that view

With a semi covered Caribe deck, which Grand class type ship are you on? When I was there, I was on the Tahitian Princess, so a much smaller ship. 

Just enjoyed a UBD last week. It was the best meal experience of the two-week trip. We also tried Chef's table (good!,) Caymus Winemaker's Dinner (OK,) and Super Tuscan Wine Tasting lunch (excellent!) UBD, for us, was by far the best and was a great value, including flowers, photographer and one printed photo, a bottle of bubbly, and way too much food to eat. We won't do it every cruise, but it's a great way to celebrate a special occasion. 🥂

• Like 2

My friends will be in a deluxe balcony on the Sun Princess inaugural cruise. I checked the weather history and in looks like it may be in the 40s - 50s for the high. Do you think that will be too cold for the UBD? Looking at the diagram for the room I don’t know where they would put a table in the cabin if the weather is lousy. Those that have booked this before, do you think I should book this for them or should I book Crown Grill instead? Thank you.