Unrest in Panama cancels excursions

MrSchwump

Not really but they do occur.  The present is about a Canadian copper mine and seems to have much of the country roiled.  Things have settled a bit but not enough for the cruise lines.  How long it will continue anyone's guess.

There certainly is an element of that, but what kicked the current furor is the government renegotiated the agreement that allowed expansion and a much healthier payment to the government.  For the healthier payment the government granted some privileges to the mining company that are extremely reminiscent of the authority the US had when it administered the Canal Zone.  The authority the US had was a irritant to many Panamanians even though the treaty which turned over the Canal to Panama went in effect more than 40 years ago.

The company has been operating the mine since 2013.   

We get reports from people booked on cruises, so far partial transits to Gatun Lake.  We haven’t heard from anyone on a full transit stopping overnight at Fuerte Amador.  Not from the few whose cruises start or end in Panama City.  EM

• Like 1

We have a full passage booked on Emerald Princess for January '24. Sure hope Fuerte Amadore/Panama City stop doesn't get canceled. This especially since they already canceled  Nicaragua. Many sea days for this 15 day cruise! 

6 hours ago, corytravel said:

I have been trying to get any answers on this subject but everyone seems to be Quiet on this. We have had 2 stops already canceled on our way to Peru.this would make 3  on our   Azamara  onward cruise

Are you doing a transit without stops? It won't be affected. If you are stopping at a port in Panama? What port? The canceling of Panama ports is voluntary...no requirement to cancel.

I was just going to reply that my contact in Panama told me that things had quieted down to a large degree.  There were far fewer roadblocks and demonstrations particularly around the cities and the when there were roadblocks they generally were not long lasting.  There was mostly a wait and see attitude while the Panama Supreme Court pontificates on the matter of the mining agreement being constitutional.  This morning he wrote and said the Court had ruled that the agreement was unconstitutional.  I feel sure in the short term things may settle down to "normal", how long that will last is an open question, it will be totally dependent on whether there is a complete shutdown, nationalization or even a renegotiation of the agreement.  I am sure the cruise lines will just have to be flexible and make last minute decisions on port calls.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Things have moved off the front burner, the Supreme Court has ruled the law enabling the mine operation unconstitutional  and the President has indicated they will abide by the ruling.  Right now it looks as though the mine will close, the disturbances have abated and things have returned to "normal".

I don't think anyone really knows what the final solution for the mine will be and whether or not it will become an issue again.  Either way the short fall of revenue to the government from no mine and the falling tolls because of the reduction of transits through the Canal offer a number of tripwires.

At the moment no problemo.

We stopped in Colon yesterday.  All ship excursions went as planned.  Our guide was from the Colon area, and confirmed much of what Billb48 said that things are back to normal for now.  We embarked in Panama City on 12/7 after a 3 day stay there, and other than normal traffic jams we moved about without issue using Ubers.  

• Thanks 2

• 2 months later...
On 11/28/2023 at 6:58 AM, BillB48 said:

I was just going to reply that my contact in Panama told me that things had quieted down to a large degree.  There were far fewer roadblocks and demonstrations particularly around the cities and the when there were roadblocks they generally were not long lasting.  There was mostly a wait and see attitude while the Panama Supreme Court pontificates on the matter of the mining agreement being constitutional.  This morning he wrote and said the Court had ruled that the agreement was unconstitutional.  I feel sure in the short term things may settle down to "normal", how long that will last is an open question, it will be totally dependent on whether there is a complete shutdown, nationalization or even a renegotiation of the agreement.  I am sure the cruise lines will just have to be flexible and make last minute decisions on port calls.

You must be talking about the constitution in Panama that's written in pencil😱