Jump to content

Virgin's Resilient Lady


Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, SinbadThePorter said:

 

Given how often they are visiting it, I think the entire crew will be world class experts in Burnie by the end of the season. 🤪

 

I also have a 4 day Hobart cruise booked, but in January. Who knows, if you are at the trivia I may see you there.

Haha good point! We did Burnie in March and thought it was delightful - the mayor came on board the shuttle bus to welcome us! Lovely  stuff! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Sparky74 said:

Hmmm…

Not really my scene. 

Thought the same,  Lucky I'm from farming stock, early to bed, early to rise.  I love empty ships in the wee hours. When we are coming into port, I watch the pilot board the ship.  Last time I cruised to Darwin, I heard the "rope guys" say they must be training the driver after no cruising during Covid.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/22/2023 at 7:49 PM, MMDown Under said:

Has anyone cruised on Virgin's Resilient Lady?

Not yet, but we're booked to do a domestic cruise on her in early February, courtesy of the Velocity points deal. (It'll be our first ever cruise.)

 

Speaking of domestic, VV seems to have updated their FAQ's since I last checked them, and here's what to do if you don't have a current passport, copied and pasted from https://www.virginvoyages.com/help-and-support/before-you-sail/travel-requirements ...

 

What travel documents do I need to travel in Australia?

For domestic Australian voyages, Australian citizens and permanent residents may provide a government-issued photo ID or a passport.

  • Please upload your government photo ID as a passport in Ready to Sail on the Virgin Voyages App.
  • After uploading, click ‘No thanks - I’ll do it myself’ and fill out the required information to complete your check-in. Note: In the passport number field, input your Driver's License number.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Colin 2905 said:

Not yet, but we're booked to do a domestic cruise on her in early February, courtesy of the Velocity points deal. (It'll be our first ever cruise.)

 

Speaking of domestic, VV seems to have updated their FAQ's since I last checked them, and here's what to do if you don't have a current passport, copied and pasted from https://www.virginvoyages.com/help-and-support/before-you-sail/travel-requirements ...

 

What travel documents do I need to travel in Australia?

For domestic Australian voyages, Australian citizens and permanent residents may provide a government-issued photo ID or a passport.

  • Please upload your government photo ID as a passport in Ready to Sail on the Virgin Voyages App.
  • After uploading, click ‘No thanks - I’ll do it myself’ and fill out the required information to complete your check-in. Note: In the passport number field, input your Driver's License number.

I can already see the Ap is going to be a learning exercise for me without my adult daughters. 

Bon Voyage.  Where is your domestic cruise going?  I saw the Velocity points deal.  My cruise is 11 nights from Auckland to Melbourne on 12/1.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

I can already see the Ap is going to be a learning exercise for me without my adult daughters. 

Bon Voyage.  Where is your domestic cruise going?  I saw the Velocity points deal.  My cruise is 11 nights from Auckland to Melbourne on 12/1.

The App seems to cop some flack over on the VV part of the forum, but I've found it not too bad so far. Have you looked at it yet?

 

We opted for the 6-night Melbourne-Sydney-Hobart-Melbourne cruise (1/2 - 7/2), to get the most value out of my Velocity points. Since I'm awash with Velocity points, I extended the offer to both of our (adult) children, and their partners. Unfortunately our daughter doesn't have enough leave available but our son and his girlfriend do, and have opted to join us on the same cruise. I told them that they were free to choose from the other dates, and they did consider them, but in the end they decided to get the maximum value out of my points too. 😄

 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Otherwise log on and we can do a quiz online in a cruise critic thread.

Hahahah........ enjoyed those two clips showing the ship (although no mention of trivia! but young Americans so possibly not their thing!)  Good to see that there is more than one pool.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Burnie is great, a nice little town to explore but also a good place to explore the north coast and even Cradle Mountain.

We explored the coast thinking we would "do" Cradle Mountain during our Whisky Week tour in August, but still didn't manage it; so will have to go back again!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Colin 2905 said:

The App seems to cop some flack over on the VV part of the forum, but I've found it not too bad so far. Have you looked at it yet?

 

We opted for the 6-night Melbourne-Sydney-Hobart-Melbourne cruise (1/2 - 7/2), to get the most value out of my Velocity points. Since I'm awash with Velocity points, I extended the offer to both of our (adult) children, and their partners. Unfortunately our daughter doesn't have enough leave available but our son and his girlfriend do, and have opted to join us on the same cruise. I told them that they were free to choose from the other dates, and they did consider them, but in the end they decided to get the maximum value out of my points too. 😄

 

What's the Velocity Points deal?  I guess we have some - in fact I don't even know if we've added our Velocity numbers to the booking!  Re the app, we have both downloaded and chosen embarkation time and added all the personal info but am expecting problems.  In that second video, they mentioned taking a bottle of bubbly onboard which was delivered to the cabin; I thought I'd seen that they allow you one bottle (each??) but to take it on in carry-on bag.  We have a drinks package as part of our deal.  I believe they don't charge the extra gratuity other cruise lines do which is great.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, Colin 2905 said:

The App seems to cop some flack over on the VV part of the forum, but I've found it not too bad so far. Have you looked at it yet?

 

We opted for the 6-night Melbourne-Sydney-Hobart-Melbourne cruise (1/2 - 7/2), to get the most value out of my Velocity points. Since I'm awash with Velocity points, I extended the offer to both of our (adult) children, and their partners. Unfortunately our daughter doesn't have enough leave available but our son and his girlfriend do, and have opted to join us on the same cruise. I told them that they were free to choose from the other dates, and they did consider them, but in the end they decided to get the maximum value out of my points too. 😄

 

We are Sydney-Hobart (and back! as their advertising has fun with) on the 11th Feb.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, Colin 2905 said:

The App seems to cop some flack over on the VV part of the forum, but I've found it not too bad so far. Have you looked at it yet?

 

We opted for the 6-night Melbourne-Sydney-Hobart-Melbourne cruise (1/2 - 7/2), to get the most value out of my Velocity points. Since I'm awash with Velocity points, I extended the offer to both of our (adult) children, and their partners. Unfortunately our daughter doesn't have enough leave available but our son and his girlfriend do, and have opted to join us on the same cruise. I told them that they were free to choose from the other dates, and they did consider them, but in the end they decided to get the maximum value out of my points too. 😄

 

No I haven't looked at the Ap, but I'm going to book today on line so wish me well.  Any free cruise which includes Sydney is good value, as Sydney has gotten so expensive.  My 11 day cruise from Auckland to Melbourne has two nights each at Tauranga and Sydney, which was the hook.  Plus I'll spend 2 nights at Auckland before the cruise and four after at Melbourne.  Melbourne has great atmosphere in January because of the Aust Tennis Open.  I used to attend annually. Plus Aust Day in Melbourne is special.  Such a shame your daughter doesn't have enough leave to cruise with you.  Did she ask for leave without pay.  My daughter worked extra days because her small business was extra busy with Black Friday.  She elected to take leave without pay which she will take with the Christmas/New Year close down.  Both management and her were very happy with that arrangement.  

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, helkatred said:

What's the Velocity Points deal?  I guess we have some - in fact I don't even know if we've added our Velocity numbers to the booking!  Re the app, we have both downloaded and chosen embarkation time and added all the personal info but am expecting problems.  In that second video, they mentioned taking a bottle of bubbly onboard which was delivered to the cabin; I thought I'd seen that they allow you one bottle (each??) but to take it on in carry-on bag.  We have a drinks package as part of our deal.  I believe they don't charge the extra gratuity other cruise lines do which is great.

The Velocity points deal has ended, but info can be found at https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2964836-velocity-points-for-virgin-cruise/

 

As for drinks, I'll probably take the maximum allowable number of cans of Zero Sugar Vanilla Coke in our carry-on, as I very much doubt that they'll have it on board. (I don't drink alcohol at all, and the odd shandy that my wife has is so weak that they usually only charge the softdrink price. 😄)

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Oh thanks - that will serve me right for not reading their emails! I don’t think we have any points at this stage anyway.  On velocity topic though, does anyone know how to add your velocity number to a booking? Or even if it’s necessary? I’ve been trying for two days to ring but get a message saying even cruise companies have to take a holiday (!?) tried live chat with no luck and have now emailed. Anyone else having a problem contacting VV?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

No I haven't looked at the Ap, but I'm going to book today on line so wish me well.  Any free cruise which includes Sydney is good value, as Sydney has gotten so expensive.  My 11 day cruise from Auckland to Melbourne has two nights each at Tauranga and Sydney, which was the hook.  Plus I'll spend 2 nights at Auckland before the cruise and four after at Melbourne.  Melbourne has great atmosphere in January because of the Aust Tennis Open.  I used to attend annually. Plus Aust Day in Melbourne is special.  Such a shame your daughter doesn't have enough leave to cruise with you.  Did she ask for leave without pay.  My daughter worked extra days because her small business was extra busy with Black Friday.  She elected to take leave without pay which she will take with the Christmas/New Year close down.  Both management and her were very happy with that arrangement.  

 

28 minutes ago, Colin 2905 said:

The Velocity points deal has ended, but info can be found at https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2964836-velocity-points-for-virgin-cruise/

 

As for drinks, I'll probably take the maximum allowable number of cans of Zero Sugar Vanilla Coke in our carry-on, as I very much doubt that they'll have it on board. (I don't drink alcohol at all, and the odd shandy that my wife has is so weak that they usually only charge the softdrink price. 😄)

 

 

I’m pretty sure soft drinks are free on VV

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, helkatred said:

Oh thanks - that will serve me right for not reading their emails! I don’t think we have any points at this stage anyway.  On velocity topic though, does anyone know how to add your velocity number to a booking? Or even if it’s necessary? I’ve been trying for two days to ring but get a message saying even cruise companies have to take a holiday (!?) tried live chat with no luck and have now emailed. Anyone else having a problem contacting VV?

Thanksgiving Holiday  staff have leave. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, helkatred said:

 

I’m pretty sure soft drinks are free on VV

Yes but they mightn't have the soft drinks Colin wants.  I had trouble explaining to an American barman on a cruise that ginger beer wasn't beer, so I settled for ginger ale under another name.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, helkatred said:

Oh thanks - that will serve me right for not reading their emails! I don’t think we have any points at this stage anyway.  On velocity topic though, does anyone know how to add your velocity number to a booking? Or even if it’s necessary? I’ve been trying for two days to ring but get a message saying even cruise companies have to take a holiday (!?) tried live chat with no luck and have now emailed. Anyone else having a problem contacting VV?

Never mind you might be like me, with not enough points to buy the cruise on offer.  My points are with Qantas who I'm not happy with at present.  

Chat is useless!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, helkatred said:

that will serve me right for not reading their emails! I don’t think we have any points at this stage anyway.

 

There were two recent offers. The first one was to buy a Virgin cruise (up to 6 nights) for 79,999 Velocity points. That one is finished.

 

The second one runs until the end of November and involves getting 50% off the cruise fare (not fees and taxes) if you enter "VirginAustralia" as an access key when you book online.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, MMDown Under said:

... Such a shame your daughter doesn't have enough leave to cruise with you.  Did she ask for leave without pay. ...

Without going into the details, it's not an option unfortunately. 🙁

 

1 hour ago, helkatred said:

... On velocity topic though, does anyone know how to add your velocity number to a booking? Or even if it’s necessary? ...

I don't think it's an option. I thought I saw an option to add a Virgin Atlantic Flying Club membership (not that I have one) when I booked, but I can't find any reference to it now.

 

1 hour ago, MMDown Under said:

Yes but they mightn't have the soft drinks Colin wants. ...  

This. Most places have never even heard of No Sugar Vanilla Coke, let alone have it. At a pinch I'll drink Diet Coke (which is what my wife drinks), but I have to be really desperate for a caffeine fix before I'll touch No Sugar Coke / Coke Zero. To me, the latter tastes like fly spray and the former isn't much better. 😝

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Colin 2905 said:

Without going into the details, it's not an option unfortunately. 🙁

 

I don't think it's an option. I thought I saw an option to add a Virgin Atlantic Flying Club membership (not that I have one) when I booked, but I can't find any reference to it now.

 

This. Most places have never even heard of No Sugar Vanilla Coke, let alone have it. At a pinch I'll drink Diet Coke (which is what my wife drinks), but I have to be really desperate for a caffeine fix before I'll touch No Sugar Coke / Coke Zero. To me, the latter tastes like fly spray and the former isn't much better. 😝

 

I understand.  When my NY girlfriend first visited Australia, she was only entitled to two weeks' leave.  I told her to tell her boss (who had met me) that I said it is too far to travel to Aust for two weeks leave.  He let her have three weeks' leave.  Unheard of.  Not that he wasn't generous.  He even gave me free travel dollars.  She is now coming out again in Feb.  4 days in Auckland, 4 days in Brisbane and 4 days in Sydney. So things haven't changed on the amount of leave front. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Colin 2905 said:

Without going into the details, it's not an option unfortunately. 🙁

 

I don't think it's an option. I thought I saw an option to add a Virgin Atlantic Flying Club membership (not that I have one) when I booked, but I can't find any reference to it now.

 

This. Most places have never even heard of No Sugar Vanilla Coke, let alone have it. At a pinch I'll drink Diet Coke (which is what my wife drinks), but I have to be really desperate for a caffeine fix before I'll touch No Sugar Coke / Coke Zero. To me, the latter tastes like fly spray and the former isn't much better. 😝

 

 

I saw Emma Cruises youtube and she said that she could get Diet Coke at certain bars.  I understand that you get coke from a fountain (?) if the machine is there but if not then you are given cans of coke from the other bars.  Son lives on coke so we will find out in 2 weeks. 

I discovered 2 days ago that Deep Blue Extras have disappeared from my booking so am now trying to get them reinstated.  Problems I don't need!!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Ondine said:

 

I saw Emma Cruises youtube and she said that she could get Diet Coke at certain bars.  I understand that you get coke from a fountain (?) if the machine is there but if not then you are given cans of coke from the other bars.  Son lives on coke so we will find out in 2 weeks. 

I discovered 2 days ago that Deep Blue Extras have disappeared from my booking so am now trying to get them reinstated.  Problems I don't need!!!

What are Deep Blue Extras?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Welcome to Cruise Critic
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...