Travel Agents, What Am I Missing?

New2Cruise76

Hey all, me again! I'm closing in on booking our cruise on the Meraviglia in June, and I once again have questions.

I want to preface this by saying I'm not asking for recommendations. What I'm trying to figure out what exactly is the point of going through a travel agent? I know it provides a layer of insulation from the infamous MSC shoreside customer service, but looking at a highly recommended site that compares TAs, every result I'm seeing is at least slightly higher after deducting the OBC provided by the TA compared to booking through MSC direct.

I'll be the first to admit that I'm new to using a TA and don't have a clue. I know I can use the OBC to cover the DSC and have a little left over for on board spending, but is that the only reason to go through a TA?

I've planned out this trip pretty thoroughly, and I don't foresee any reason to alter the booking after I make it, so it's doubtful that I'm going to end up in the repricing nightmare many go through.

I just want to know if there is some other intangible benefit that I'm not seeing?

• Thanks 1

Your mileage will vary, but the cost should be the same as booking direct.  If you're a Voyager's Club member, make sure to provide your information to get your discount, it should be your name, number, and DOB (don't post this on here). There could be other reasons rates may be different, such as service charges or group rates. 

Travel agent work is a service job.  It's like how your room steward cleans your room, a travel agent helps organize your trip and answers the call when things go wrong.

There is nothing wrong with wanting an OBC, but I will say, it's like taking a tip from a restaurant server beforehand. You will still hopefully get service, but expect them to prioritize the customers who value them the most.

"You get what you pay for" is definitely true in this case and while a good agent should help you anyway, they are most likely to help those who earn them the most, like any other service job. So, a good agent is better than a good OBC if you're wanting an agent's service.

That goes to answer your question, what is the benefit? You get the agent. They can build a relationship with you over time and help you again and again with different trips, possibly more than just cruises. This can be a huge benefit over time, just like how a server at a restaurant may look after their regulars. If you find a good agent, my advice is to build that relationship.

While booking direct with MSC will have its customer service, it's something to be said if you get to work with the same person each time, and then they follow you if you do a different cruise line later. It's more than just a cruise, but cruises and vacations, over time. A person that knows you will likely give you better help than someone who is working with you for the first time. It's just the way of the world. Over time, the relationship is a huge value.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, New2Cruise76 said:

've planned out this trip pretty thoroughly, and I don't foresee any reason to alter the booking after I make it, so it's doubtful that I'm going to end up in the repricing nightmare many go through.

I didn’t think I’d need to alter my booking when I made it either. 
The problem is most of the situations you end up need to change/rebook are totally unexpected. 
you maybe even end up in a situation where the cruise line makes the change. 
We had to rebook due to medical issues. It was an absolute nightmare. NIGHTMARE. 

• Like 3

I am cautiously optimistic with the TA we used for booking two upcoming trips in YC.  He was great and patient with a few changes we had (started with a aurea suite, later changed to a YC duplex).  Price was identical to that on the MSC site.  Was able to use the voyager discount and got a decent (in my eyes) OBC.  The only reason I’m still withholding final judgment is that we won’t see the OBC until the cruise. For the YC interior, it was $350 in OBC and for the duplex it is $925 iirc.

• Like 2

Call and request a MSC Concierge to work with you. Single point of contact within the MSC organization and they will continue to work with you for future bookings. I use one and had booked a future cruise for 2024 while onboard a MSC cruise in September. When I returned home, I transferred the booking to him.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, New2Cruise76 said:

I don't foresee

This right here is basically what TAs are good for. Anything you don't foresee. I never saw the point of a TA. I mean, I have the internet! I can book a cruise in like ... 10 minutes tops. Ok, this is the MSC board, so maybe 45mins given their technical prowess. But either way, not hard, right?

And, yea, most of the time that's true, but when I decided to take my first MSC cruise, I was wary based on reports about their shoreside service. I didn't foresee making any changes either, but I weighed the chance I'd get a bad TA who never answered emails against the chance I'd have to call MSC and decided the former was less risky in my mind. Booked with a TA and wouldn't ya know it, they moved my cabin from an aft that I'd paid extra for to a regular balcony without warning or refund and certainly without me making any changes. Emailed TA, he got back to me right away and spent however long on the phone with MSC getting it fixed. I didn't.

Ever since then, I always use a TA. Sure, 9 times out of 10 I just say, "Hey, Mike, I wanna book this exact cruise in this exact cabin on this exact date" and he doesn't have to do much beyond that, but for that 10% of the time things go a bit sideways I don't have to deal with it. I'll happily email him instead of booking direct for that privilege.

• Like 2

I think you all have convinced me. Running the numbers, it's only $15 more then booking direct, after deducting the OBC. It's also a plus that this is basically a backdoor way of prepaying the DSC, which will make this an even more all inclusive vacation, which is really appealing to me. 

I'm a pretty cheap guy, so I'm always trying to save money where I can, so I can spend it somewhere tangible. In this case, it does seem like it would be penny wise, pound foolish to not go the TA route. Hopefully this will start a business relationship with a TA that can pay off in the long term.

Thanks again for helping this newbie cruiser!

1 hour ago, New2Cruise76 said:

I think you all have convinced me. Running the numbers, it's only $15 more then booking direct, after deducting the OBC. It's also a plus that this is basically a backdoor way of prepaying the DSC, which will make this an even more all inclusive vacation, which is really appealing to me. 

I'm a pretty cheap guy, so I'm always trying to save money where I can, so I can spend it somewhere tangible. In this case, it does seem like it would be penny wise, pound foolish to not go the TA route. Hopefully this will start a business relationship with a TA that can pay off in the long term.

Thanks again for helping this newbie cruiser!

Ive never had to pay travel agent MORE for a cruise than booking direct.  With the OBC the TAs offer it's usually significantly less...  Perhaps you should check for other TAs

Edited by Av8tor
  • Like 1

If you have never cruised MSC before, make sure you carefully read all the information available on the MSC website, especially the "Terms and Conditions" and "Conditions of Carriage."

As far as a travel agent, the company that my TA works for consistently beats the published cruise line fares and has additional perks included. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mark_T said:

Are you sure that your Voyager discount has been deducted from the TA price you are comparing?

10 hours ago, Av8tor said:

Ive never had to pay travel agent MORE for a cruise than booking direct.  With the OBC the TAs offer it's usually significantly less...  Perhaps you should check for other TAs

@Mark_T I'm not sure if the VC discount is being applied by the TA, but I did supply when requesting the quote. I honestly don't get much from VC, since I've never cruised before, and I matched my blue level from from Carnival for Classic at MSC, still gives me the 5+5, which is what I was hoing for.

I think it might make things easier if I include what I'm being quoted from the TA as well as MSC

Quote from TA:

Screenshot_20231123_094732_Chrome.thumb.jpg.b775bfa3e847f0e0d421748b8f900a84.jpg

MSC price for 10378:

Screenshot_20231123_095325_Chrome.thumb.jpg.dbe043a69faf6b1a150bea8ee93f566a.jpg

and for 10382

Screenshot_20231123_095543_Chrome.thumb.jpg.fd5e82badc652d12152e067d50f70b82.jpg

also. I just realized that MSC also includes $50 OBC per cabin which I guess makes the TA deal less attractive.

Like I said, I'm completely clueless when it comes to TAs. We almost never fly, and have never flown for a vacation, never taken a cruise or went to an AI, so I'm really moving out of my comfort zone. I really don't know how to find a good TA, and know this isn't the place to ask for recommendations, lol. It's made even more difficult, since it seems that most TAs don't have a lot of desire to work with MSC. There was a second quote provided from another TA, which doesn't include which cabins, just the class, which makes me nervous, also the one that's in the screenshot was much more well reviewed on multiple sites.

I can't quote your TA from the image, @New2Cruise76, but the first one said it includes all taxes and fees. I mention this because when booking direct, the prices usually don't include those, unless you're in a country that requires they do (the U.S. doesn't). The cruise lines use this as a sales tactic. They show you an attractive price that then goes up by $300 or more per person when taxes, port fees, and things like gratuities for packages are added on at the end right before you pay. TAs, like the one you got a quote from, often include all of these things in your quote so be sure to read your quotes carefully and compare to the direct price with fees added on, where appropriate. May be that TA is offering you better pricing than you think. 🙂

• Like 1

@bundtkate good thought, i decided to take it to the final screen where you input credit card information, and the price listed (for the three person, 10378). So, yeah, I still as stumped as before.

Screenshot_20231123_122542_Chrome.thumb.jpg.d6dbb44d50e61473672df928cb866bc7.jpg

Like I said, I may be cheap, but I'm more then willing to spend a little more to reduce headaches down the road. I mean, technically the TA is giving ~10% in OBC, they're just also charging me ~10% more, lol.

Edited by New2Cruise76
Forgot the screenshot

Experienced cruiser here... I would NEVER book an MSC cruise without a travel agent who is familiar with all the quirkiness of MSC. We've been on over 30 cruises, three of which have been in the MSC Yacht club. It's not all about the bottom line money-wise. MSC screws things up. A LOT. A travel agent who is familiar with MSC can navigate that for you. Also, in addition to the Voyager's discount, make sure you get the 10% military if you qualify for that.

Denise

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, New2Cruise76 said:

TA is giving ~10% in OBC, they're just also charging me ~10% more

Have you asked the TA why their price is higher? They might not be quoting the exact same thing as you are choosing in the MSC website. The differences may or may not matter, but you should be aware of them.

• Like 2

Good point, @Best Cat Mom, I haven't spoke to them yet, payday is tomorrow, so that's when I was planning on booking. I'll reach out to them to verify I'm not missing something.

Oh, and Happy Thanksgiving everyone!! We celebrated yesterday, since my eldest is staying at their friends cabin over the weekend, and I completely forgot.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Sundiego said:

Also, in addition to the Voyager's discount, make sure you get the 10% military if you qualify for that.

So, thIs is an interesting one. I did serve in the Naval Reserves, but only for 2-3 years. For complicated reasons, I seperated early. We're going through the file cabinet to try and find my discharge paperwork, but to hedge my bets, I've also requested a new copy of my DD214.

I know that the discharge status was "General Discharge Under Honorable Circumstances", so it was nothing bad surrounding my discharge. I honestly haven't touched my paperwork in close to 20 years, because I didn't need to use any possibly available benefits and I also didn't feel right using benefits that rightfully should go to those who put their lives on the line, and not some dude who sat in an overglorified classroom once a month for a few years. I guess I'm ok with saving 10% on a cruise though, guess we know where my line in the sand is, lol.

3 hours ago, New2Cruise76 said:

So, thIs is an interesting one. I did serve in the Naval Reserves, but only for 2-3 years. For complicated reasons, I seperated early. We're going through the file cabinet to try and find my discharge paperwork, but to hedge my bets, I've also requested a new copy of my DD214.

I know that the discharge status was "General Discharge Under Honorable Circumstances", so it was nothing bad surrounding my discharge. I honestly haven't touched my paperwork in close to 20 years, because I didn't need to use any possibly available benefits and I also didn't feel right using benefits that rightfully should go to those who put their lives on the line, and not some dude who sat in an overglorified classroom once a month for a few years. I guess I'm ok with saving 10% on a cruise though, guess we know where my line in the sand is, lol.

Ha. I was surprised that MSC wanted to see the DD214 *again* since we had cruised with them a few times previously. Most cruise lines link it to your "Voyager" number and some even show military rates when pricing a cruise. But this is MSC after all. It's never seamless. Sent the DD214 to our TA and she forwarded to MSC for repricing to include the extra 10%.

Denise

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Sundiego said:

Experienced cruiser here... I would NEVER book an MSC cruise without a travel agent who is familiar with all the quirkiness of MSC. We've been on over 30 cruises, three of which have been in the MSC Yacht club. It's not all about the bottom line money-wise. MSC screws things up. A LOT. A travel agent who is familiar with MSC can navigate that for you. Also, in addition to the Voyager's discount, make sure you get the 10% military if you qualify for that.

Denise

Experienced here too, 26 down, 8 past YC and with 6 more YC’s coming up. We use a MSC Concierge who works wonders for us anytime I need assistance. I don’t use a TA because I don’t like giving up control of my booking. OBC is not that important to us. I guess each to his/her own. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, oceans.calling said:

Experienced here too, 26 down, 8 past YC and with 6 more YC’s coming up. We use a MSC Concierge who works wonders for us anytime I need assistance. I don’t use a TA because I don’t like giving up control of my booking. OBC is not that important to us. I guess each to his/her own. 

Fellow YC person here and I totally get this. I have a few TA's depending on the cruise line and they are all people I know and trust. We booked Haven through Big Box under a free grats promo and NEVER AGAIN will I give them control over my booking. 

Denise

• Like 2

Something isn't adding up.  I always save money using a TA.  There is no reason the booking total won't be the exact same from them as you can do directly....to the penny.  The savings come as most will give you additional OBC for booking with them.  If they aren't find one that does.

• Like 3

We have been at this cruise game for 50 years (17 cruise lines and over 75 different ships) and always use a decent cruise/travel agent.  Why?  The quick answer is we get money, which can vary from about 3% (with some luxury lines) to over 10% of the cruise fare.  That money can come as On Board Credits (often refundable) or as a rebate (that comes to me as a check or a direct deposit).  Since we cruise over 100 days in some years, our savings from using cruise agents amount to thousands of dollars every year.  For folks booking 1 short cruise, your savings will be a lot less.

But there are other reasons to use a decent agent.  They work for me (not the cruise line) and the agencies we use are part of huge "consortiums" that give them a lot of clout with the cruise lines.  If there is an issue, a quick e-mail to my agent generally gets it resolved.  No time sitting on a phone hold, or trying to deal with cruise line "order takers" who often do not have a clue!

Another reason for having a cruise agent is that, those of us who deal with many different cruise lines can simply deal with our agent.  As an example, in the next 12 months we have bookings with Princess, Oceania, Seabourn and Silverseas.  We might soon add a cruise with MSC.  All that can be handled by a single agent.  And, as previously mentioned, our savings are in the thousands of dollars.

Hank

• Like 3

Well, I've sent an email to them to get a better understanding of what's included. For all I know, they may be including DSC in that rate. If that's the case, it changes the whole dynamic.

On a completely unrelated note, my youngest mad a new island in Animal Crossing and named it Ocean Cay. I think she's excited for the cruise.

Ill keep you all updated on what I hear.

For those reading this thread and wondering about cruise/travel agents I will offer some advice,  Make sure to perform your own due diligence on any agency/agent that you are going to consider.  Read the fine print of their terms/conditions, ask around (a good place to do this in on a cruise) and understand that there are significant differences between cruise/travel agencies.  

I will also say that we currently use two different agencies (we have a long history with both) and a preferred agent at each of those agencies.  One has over 30 years experience and the other has about 10 (we helped break her in).  Both have done lots of continuing ed (and have the various industry certifications to back this up) and are consummate pros.  Neither want to spend a lot of time "hand holding" since time is money and these folks are very busy (because they are good).  

For those who want a lot of "hand holding," they should look for agents that are happy to give them the kind of time they demand.  What I expect are agents that know their way around the cruise lines, have personal contacts, and can easily handle more complex issues.   I am not going to bother my agents with questions about hotels, airlines, etc.  In fact, my favorite cruise agent wants nothing do to with cruise/air since she admits it is not her expertise.  She also cannot know what is in my mind when I am looking for a good deal on business class to Japan or Europe.  For those that need help with air, there is the air blog here on CC and some other excellent air travel sites where posters have lots of experience and excellent advice.

I also do not rely on cruise/travel agents for insurance!  Most agencies sell one product and they do that to earn a nice commission.  When it comes to insurance, if you do not know (or do not want to take the time to read every word of various policies) than call a decent travel insurance expert (Trip Insurance Store is often mentioned here on CC).

Hank

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1