healthy eating

edub

On both the Explorer and Liberty this passed spring and summer the MDR had at least one starter, main course and dessert listed as vegan.  Made the choices easy most nights, but eventually got too much asparagus, allowed myself to make some fish or shrimp substitutions. 

I lose weight before the cruise so I can enjoy. It's great to think I'll eat healthy but in reality I don't want to think about calories or stress over food on vacation.  If I gain it I'll lose it again. No worries!!

I'm not the type to eat all day. I usually eat when I'm hungry not just for the sake of eating. I was skinny my whole life until that ***** named menopause came to visit a few years back🤦‍♀️.

• Like 1

On 11/22/2023 at 1:32 PM, SoloAlaska said:

My rule of thumb is no elevator till after 8pm.

I might have to steal that idea. 

On 11/22/2023 at 4:33 PM, edub said:

but the real problem comes when you eat it with rice AND naan and mainly eat meat dishes.

Agree.  We're low carb eaters, and the rice, naan and meat are not a good combo for us.  

On 11/22/2023 at 4:40 PM, Merion_Mom said:

In some ways, it's easier on a ship, because there is always fresh salad. 

And vegetables are always available, especially in the Windjammer.  In that way it's easier than at home ... because it's all available for us.  

On 11/22/2023 at 4:40 PM, Merion_Mom said:

Build your own from the fresh ingredients, and make smart choices about the dressing.  (use oil & vinegar; their other dressings are thick and gloppy).  Choose plain meats and vegetables for meals.  Ask your waiter not to put the bread basket on the table.  

Very good advice.  

10 hours ago, neverbeenhere said:

The virgin martini is quite healthy if you get a lemon twist rather than olives. 

I was going to bring this up:  Alcohol is chock-full of calories and carbs.  Ignoring alcohol, juice at breakfast, a sugary coffee drink mid-morning, a soda or a lemonade in the afternoon, and a couple smoothies /protein shakes over the course of the week.  That's an awful lot of extra calories and carbs.  

At home I aim for zero carbs in my beverages ... I'm usually really good about my beverages.  On vacation I'm not so strict, but I don't go hog wild either.  Beverages alone can screw up a moderate diet.  

14 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

I might have to steal that idea. 

Agree.  We're low carb eaters, and the rice, naan and meat are not a good combo for us.  

And vegetables are always available, especially in the Windjammer.  In that way it's easier than at home ... because it's all available for us.  

Very good advice.  

I was going to bring this up:  Alcohol is chock-full of calories and carbs.  Ignoring alcohol, juice at breakfast, a sugary coffee drink mid-morning, a soda or a lemonade in the afternoon, and a couple smoothies /protein shakes over the course of the week.  That's an awful lot of extra calories and carbs.  

At home I aim for zero carbs in my beverages ... I'm usually really good about my beverages.  On vacation I'm not so strict, but I don't go hog wild either.  Beverages alone can screw up a moderate diet.  

I do enjoy my wine, but I don’t drink juice, or put sugar in my coffee or tea, don’t drink any soda or shakes (just water, unsweetened iced tea and seltzer). I don’t like to drink sweet.

• Like 1