Sail Standby for $49 a day- new program

BermudaBound2014

Waitlist: Half deposit and you waitlist specific categories.

Standby: Pay $49/day + TFPE. You are wait listing any room category.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, *Miss G* said:

It is one and the same.

Standby is NOT the same as waitlist. Similar, but not the same.

• Thanks 1

We paid $49/per person for stand by.  I went in to our reservation on line for the Eurodam trans-Canal.  I was able to complete our booking and print luggage tags (no cabin number haha), but not our boarding pass (as expected).

I was also able to make dinner reservations at Tamarind (2 times) and at the Pinnacle Grill (1 time).  Got good times, too.  If we don't go, I will obviously cancel and get a refund.  But just in case...Tamarind is our favorite restaurant and we always love a good steak.

Just in case we don't hear until 48 hrs before, I am going to pack any way.  Easy enough to unpack.  I would rather cruise, so will be disappointed if we stay home.  I'll think of something else.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, POA1 said:

On 3/19/2024 at 11:49 AM, SetAnOpenCourse said:

Can anyone confirm whether or not one’s PCC can put one on a standby list?

They can.

Thanks.  To my confusion, when I asked to get on standby for a sold-out cruise, the reply from my PCC was:

“Sailing is sold out so no Standby available.”

Not knowing if that makes sense, I then called HAL, and the rep put me on the list (taking payment, etc.).  This PCC has been a HAL PCC for a long time. 🧐

2 hours ago, POA1 said:

Standby is NOT the same as waitlist. Similar, but not the same.

Yes, very true.  I was responding in the context that the question was referencing a previous post where HAL had said their standby request was on the wait list.  Perhaps I interpreted it wrong.  My humble apologies.  I will send myself to timeout now.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Laurie59 said:

7 days and counting for our standby from Ft. Lauderdale on the 29th. 🤞🤞we get on otherwise we’ll have a

staycation day at Hard Rock 🤣

Sending positive thoughts your way... 🤞

• Like 1

Just thought I’d report on our recent standby experience.

We live very close to the cruise terminal in San Diego. We had an upcoming week with nothing planned so decided we’d give the standby option a try.  

Two weeks ago I spoke to our HAL representative and asked him to be put on the list for the Koningsdam 7 day Mexican Riviera departing San Diego tomorrow March 23. He said I was the first person that asked him to try the standby list so something new for both of us. He added us to the list.

Our HAL representative actually called me this past Wednesday morning and asked if I’d received any emails from HAL about clearing the waitlist? I said I hadn’t checked email yet that morning. He said he checked the booking out of curiosity to see if it had been cleared, and he said “it appears that you’ve been cleared”. He didn’t want us to lose our non-refundable payment if I wasn’t checking emails daily. Very kind of him to call, and the reason we’re very happy with him as our HAL representative.

After our call I then checked my email. I was notified by HAL this past Wednesday morning, March 20, that we cleared the standby for the March 23 Koningsdam sailing. I also received an additional email within minutes with an upgrade offer.

I called the number attached to the upgrade email. We were offered a few different upgrade options. After reviewing the options with the representative on the phone we accepted a VB on deck 11 for $249 PP.

Since it was so close to sailing I wanted to ensure a few additional discounted items so I called our HAL rep in Seattle and he finalized these items for us before the window closed. 

Notification of clearing the standby was only a little over 2 days before our departure tomorrow morning, but it worked really well for us since we can actually walk to the terminal.

Wishing anyone on standby good wishes for success! 

All the best….

• Like 12
  • Thanks 10

3 hours ago, *Miss G* said:

Yes, very true.  I was responding in the context that the question was referencing a previous post where HAL had said their standby request was on the wait list.  Perhaps I interpreted it wrong.  My humble apologies.  I will send myself to timeout now.

Sorry if sounded like I was scolding. I did not want people to ask for one when they really wanted the other.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Haljo1935 said:

Sending positive thoughts your way... 🤞

When did you make the reservation?

I'm  a TA and am in that sailing with 10 others,  but I booked 4 people in standby, 2 a month ago and 2 Kat week.   No one cleared yet.  My fingers are crossed for them (and you) also!!

1 hour ago, expattraveler said:

We live very close to the cruise terminal in San Diego. We had an upcoming week with nothing planned so decided we’d give the standby option a try.  

Two weeks ago I spoke to our HAL representative and asked him to be put on the list for the Koningsdam 7 day Mexican Riviera departing San Diego tomorrow March 23. He said I was the first person that asked him to try the standby list so something new for both of us. He added us to the list.

Our HAL representative actually called me this past Wednesday morning and asked if I’d received any emails from HAL about clearing the waitlist? I said I hadn’t checked email yet that morning. He said he checked the booking out of curiosity to see if it had been cleared, and he said “it appears that you’ve been cleared”. He didn’t want us to lose our non-refundable payment if I wasn’t checking emails daily. Very kind of him to call, and the reason we’re very happy with him as our HAL representative.

After our call I then checked my email. I was notified by HAL this past Wednesday morning, March 20, that we cleared the standby for the March 23 Koningsdam sailing. I also received an additional email within minutes with an upgrade offer.

I called the number attached to the upgrade email. We were offered a few different upgrade options. After reviewing the options with the representative on the phone we accepted a VB on deck 11 for $249 PP.

Since it was so close to sailing I wanted to ensure a few additional discounted items so I called our HAL rep in Seattle and he finalized these items for us before the window closed. 

Notification of clearing the standby was only a little over 2 days before our departure tomorrow morning, but it worked really well for us since we can actually walk to the terminal.

All the best….

Congrats! Sounds like a good deal all the way around - standby and upgrade. Thanks for the info - hope you have a fabulous cruise

32 minutes ago, drtravel47 said:

When did you make the reservation?

I'm  a TA and am in that sailing with 10 others,  but I booked 4 people in standby, 2 a month ago and 2 Kat week.   No one cleared yet.  My fingers are crossed for them (and you) also!!

Hi - I'm not on a standby list (sure wish I lived close enough to a port to do that). I was responding to @Laurie59.

2 minutes ago, Haljo1935 said:

Congrats! Sounds like a good deal all the way around - standby and upgrade. Thanks for the info - hope you have a fabulous cruise

Haljo,

Yes, IMHO a very good deal. On the Koningsdam for 7 days opposed to being at home and at a great price! 

Thank you for your well wishes!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, expattraveler said:

All the best….

How wonderful.

Best wishes for an excellent cruise. 

Now you should try playing the lottery.😃

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Just a note: You can add Have It All to Standby, but Standby does not pair with any of the community appreciation offers, like AARP, first responders, military & veterans, or the "Who the heck is this one targeting?" University of Washington alums who hold a season ticket to any Washington Huskies sports team. I am not making that last one up.

Because the standby booking's can clear pretty close to sailing, you'll want to add HIA immediately. The repurchased items data gets sent to the ship about 3 days prior to sailing, and advance purchases will be restricted after the deadline.

Missing the deadline would cause you to have to add HIA onboard, where it's $10/day more. I think that's what was referred to by
@expattraveler

After all, that extra $10/day kind of runs counter to scoring a sweet, sweet cruise deal.

Edited by POA1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/23/2023 at 10:15 AM, TiogaCruiser said:

The cynic in me wonders how long it will be before someone comes on here whining that they couldn’t go and HAL kept their money while not disclosing that they chose not to go, or HAL sold them a cruise and then turned them away, when it was one of these last minute deals. 

Great YouTube video on this subject. I forget the name of the guy doing it but it was very informative.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, POA1 said:

Just a note: You can add Have It All to Standby, but Standby does not pair with any of the community appreciation offers, like AARP, first responders, military & veterans, or the "Who the heck is this one targeting?" University of Washington alums who hold a season ticket to any Washington Huskies sports team. I am not making that last one up.

Because the standby booking's can clear pretty close to sailing, you'll want to add HIA immediately. The repurchased items data gets sent to the ship about 3 days prior to sailing, and advance purchases will be restricted after the deadline.

Missing the deadline would cause you to have to add HIA onboard, where it's $10/day more. I think that's what was referred to by
@expattraveler

After all, that extra $10/day kind of runs counter to scoring a sweet, sweet cruise deal.

POA1,

you are correct on all points!

On Koningsdan now sitting at the New York deli having a Ruben.  Actually very good!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 3/22/2024 at 2:18 PM, CrusinCanadian said:

We are waiting to hear on the March 24 NS standby sailing that we booked with a PCC early February. The sailing is 2 days away so I’m hoping to hear sometime today. I’ll post the end result.

Just as a follow up for those interested, I called HAL 47 hours out from sailing time and was advised that I was still on standby, I just called today as boarding begins soon and was advised that I was no longer on standby status, reservation cancelled by HAL as of yesterday, zero chance of getting on cruise and that my payment had been refunded (not showing on my card yet of course). I asked the agent to double check with Ship Inventory for availability and he said they are closed today (Sunday). I asked for email confirmation so that I could leave Lauderdale and go with my Plan B. Good luck to all!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 9

51 minutes ago, CrusinCanadian said:

Just as a follow up for those interested, I called HAL 47 hours out from sailing time and was advised that I was still on standby, I just called today as boarding begins soon and was advised that I was no longer on standby status, reservation cancelled by HAL as of yesterday, zero chance of getting on cruise and that my payment had been refunded (not showing on my card yet of course). I asked the agent to double check with Ship Inventory for availability and he said they are closed today (Sunday). I asked for email confirmation so that I could leave Lauderdale and go with my Plan B. Good luck to all!

Sorry you didn't make it on board.  Hope your alternative vacation plan is still enjoyable for you.

• Like 2

On 3/24/2024 at 8:41 AM, CrusinCanadian said:

Just curious...At 2 days before sailing..Did anyone contact you and give you the option to get the full refund or "stay on standby until 90 mins before departure"? Did you just call the main phone number or a specific department when they said you were still on standby at 47 hours? I'm sorry you didn't make it on your cruise. Thanks for the updates.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Goathoops said:

Just curious...At 2 days before sailing..Did anyone contact you and give you the option to get the full refund or "stay on standby until 90 mins before departure"? Did you just call the main phone number or a specific department when they said you were still on standby at 47 hours? I'm sorry you didn't make it on your cruise. Thanks for the updates.

@Goathoops there was no contact from HAL, no refund offered at 48 hour or mention of stay on standby. I initiated all contact. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 12/27/2023 at 9:32 PM, boze9999 said:

Looking forward to seeing how this new experiment goes! Thanks for being our guinea pig!

We found out today we made the March 29 cruise. I’m a little apprehensive. We paid more for the Hal package than the interior room.  By the time you add taxes, fees and gratuities it’s not much of a bargain anymore🤦‍♀️ the room seems claustrophobic… I know it’s an interior but except for the bed you have no where to go..this might be a long 9 days. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Laurie59 said:

We found out today we made the March 29 cruise. I’m a little apprehensive. We paid more for the Hal package than the interior room.  By the time you add taxes, fees and gratuities it’s not much of a bargain anymore🤦‍♀️ the room seems claustrophobic… I know it’s an interior but except for the bed you have no where to go..this might be a long 9 days. 

When did you pay for the cruise?

I have 2 clients waiting for them to clear.

I check many times a day,  but still no luck. 

20 minutes ago, Laurie59 said:

PS.. congrats on getting onboard!!!

9 nights at $49pp is a bargain anyway you slice it!!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, drtravel47 said:

When did you pay for the cruise?

I have 2 clients waiting for them to clear.

I check many times a day,  but still no luck. Just found out we made our March 29th  cruise out of Fll. We did get the interior cabin for our 11 day cruise. 

On 3/24/2024 at 12:35 PM, Lauren Spray said:

Sorry you didn't make it on board.  Hope your alternative vacation plan is still enjoyable for you.