Sail Standby for $49 a day- new program

BermudaBound2014

I don't interpret HAL's new additions to the T&Cs and FAQs as promising a minimum 2 day notice.  It states under FAQs:

"Guests are confirmed within the week of sailing (7 to 2 days prior to departure) in the order of when you are added to the Standby List. "  

The reason I don't see this as promising a minimum 2 day notice is this new statement to the T&Cs:

"If HAL does not confirm guest on the Cruise’s standby list at two (2) days prior to the Cruise’s depart have two options.  They can choose to have their reservation cancelled and will be refunded the full amount of the cruise fare that they were charged at the time they were placed on the standby list or they will have the option to remain on the Cruise’s standby list until 90 minutes prior to departure and their booking will be fully refundable if they do not sail."

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5

We are on the standby list for Zaandam on March 30

From the FAQ:

If HAL does not confirm guest on the Cruise’s standby list at two (2) days prior to the Cruise’s depart have two options.  They can choose to have their reservation cancelled and will be refunded the full amount of the cruise fare that they were charged at the time they were placed on the standby list or they will have the option to remain on the Cruise’s standby list until 90 minutes prior to departure and their booking will be fully refundable if they do not sail.  

• Thanks 2

42 minutes ago, cbr663 said:

The reason I don't see this as promising a minimum 2 day notice

It is promising 2-day notice or recourse. That's effectively 2 day notice.

Before: You can be notified as little as 90 minutes before embarkation and if notified, your full cruise fare will be gone cruise or not.

After: You can be notified as little as 90 minutes before embarkation, but you have the option in the last two days before receiving notification of getting a full refund.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, melissy123 said:

From the FAQ:

If HAL does not confirm guest on the Cruise’s standby list at two (2) days prior to the Cruise’s depart have two options.  They can choose to have their reservation cancelled and will be refunded the full amount of the cruise fare that they were charged at the time they were placed on the standby list or they will have the option to remain on the Cruise’s standby list until 90 minutes prior to departure and their booking will be fully refundable if they do not sail.  

Interesting. Does that mean you can cancel for a full refund anytime during that final 48 hours? 

Posted (edited)

7 hours ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

Interesting. Does that mean you can cancel for a full refund anytime during that final 48 hours? 

It would appear so. My guess is that the option to cancel goes away if they notify you that you have been put on the sailing.

Edited by publicpersona
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, melissy123 said:

That appears to be the case. You can cancel at the 48 hour mark 

Yes, but can you still cancel at the 24 hour mark? At the 12 hour mark? Or are you locked into Option 2 at that point? If you can wait until your personal no -go deadline, then cancel, it would be great.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

Yes, but can you still cancel at the 24 hour mark? At the 12 hour mark? Or are you locked into Option 2 at that point? If you can wait until your personal no -go deadline, then cancel, it would be great.

Locked in at 48 hour mark. After 48 hours only refundable if HAL does not put you on passenger list by 90 minute mark.

• Like 1

I called HAL today and they told me it's a minimum of 48 hours,  not 90 minutes. The res agent laughed when I said I heard 90 minutes.  She said she's seen one case where the passenger was told only 24 hours in advance and it was due to a special circumstance.

• Thanks 2

Just notified via email that we are cleared for 23 March sailing but have not yet received a room.  Much earlier than our <2 day notice on the last standby but that notice came with a room number…Will share how this turns out!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 8

28 minutes ago, Raybit said:

Just notified via email that we are cleared for 23 March sailing but have not yet received a room.  Much earlier than our <2 day notice on the last standby but that notice came with a room number…Will share how this turns out!

That's great news!

Posted (edited)
On 3/12/2024 at 12:52 PM, cbr663 said:

It states under FAQs: …

"If HAL does not confirm guest on the Cruise’s standby list at two (2) days prior to the Cruise’s depart have two options…."

On 3/12/2024 at 12:54 PM, melissy123 said:

From the FAQ:

If HAL does not confirm guest on the Cruise’s standby list at two (2) days prior to the Cruise’s depart have two options….”

HAL needs to proofread this and make the necessary edits.

Edited by syesmar
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, drtravel47 said:

I called HAL today and they told me it's a minimum of 48 hours,  not 90 minutes. The res agent laughed when I said I heard 90 minutes. 

If you read this entire thread, you will understand that this has evolved. The language that you can cancel if not notified by two days prior is new. Prior to this, there was no "minimum". I, and others, were told that there was an expectation that if you had not been otherwise notified that you were not sailing, you would show up at the terminal to get the final word. This was while they appeared to be promising approximately 7-day notice.

As I said, they are now providing different language that gives you an out if you have not heard anything by two days prior.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Dang. I just paid off $120/nt cruises to Alaska on Zaandam in May and Cunard in July, when I could have had cheaper Alaska standby options. I guess I'll August, and really get my fill of Alaska. High port fees make Alaska not such a great deal, especially with no shareholder/military OBC. Still, that's good news going forward for the Mexico season, since I was afraid it would just be a trial program. Having a 48-hour guarantee also helps, because I can book a flight to San Diego the evening before a cruise or morning of, but don't want to risk a last-minute standby award. 

Odd, we tried to book march 23 Mexico at full fare three weeks ago and were told its sold out. Also confirmed on web site as sold out.Now i hear there giving the cruise away for 49$, i think its time i try to call someone higher up the chain for an explanation.

1 hour ago, 00649 said:

Odd, we tried to book march 23 Mexico at full fare three weeks ago and were told its sold out. Also confirmed on web site as sold out.Now i hear there giving the cruise away for 49$, i think its time i try to call someone higher up the chain for an explanation.

They are giving the cruise away for $49 IF someone cancels and a cabin comes open, and they aren’t able to resell that cabin to someone on the waitlist. Handing them your money to go on standby does not mean you’ll actually get to go.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

On 3/13/2024 at 10:10 PM, Haljo1935 said:

Locked in at 48 hour mark. After 48 hours only refundable if HAL does not put you on passenger list by 90 minute mark.

So you can’t cancel before the 48 hour mark, and you’re locked in after the 48 hour mark? How many minutes does the ‘you can cancel now’ window last?

• Like 3

3 hours ago, 00649 said:

It's $49pp per day plus taxes and fees, not a flat $49.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, publicpersona said:

The sailings available for the standby program has just been updated to include sailings from additional ports, and out through November 2024. With few exceptions, the Caribbean sailings are longer duration up to 42 days.

Standby List Program | Holland America Line

I'm adventurous and flexible but can't imagine preparing for a 42-day journey with 2 days notice. I guess one would need to basically get everything done on the "off chance" they'll get a room...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 3/12/2024 at 12:54 PM, melissy123 said:

From the FAQ:

7 hours ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

So you can’t cancel before the 48 hour mark, and you’re locked in after the 48 hour mark? How many minutes does the ‘you can cancel now’ window last?

Based on the FAQs @melissy123 posted

At 48 hours you can cancel only if you haven't been notified you made it.

• Like 1

As Canadians we are a bit surprised to see at least for Alaska the pricing on our account in CND is much the same as the USD standby pricing plus the exchange rate. Can't imagine going standby and not saving a bundle, let alone coming out more or less even!

• Like 3

Just now, SilvertoGold said:

As Canadians we are a bit surprised to see at least for Alaska the pricing on our account in CND is much the same as the USD standby pricing plus the exchange rate. Can't imagine going standby and not saving a bundle, let alone coming out more or less even!

I saw my sailing on the standby list.  It’s currently sold out for all categories except the Insides.  It’s $27 cheaper to book an Inside than to go through the torture of wondering whether you’ll make the sailing or not.  I suppose you could roll the dice and wait to see whether someone in a better category room will cancel last-minute.  But if you’ve already accepted that you’ll get an Inside, then it’s a no-brainer.

• Like 1