Sail Standby for $49 a day- new program

BermudaBound2014

16 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

It’s $27 cheaper to book an Inside than to go through the torture of wondering whether you’ll make the sailing or not.

Also, the current Inside rate of $42/day for the 4/7 NS TA makes it less than the stand-by rate.....And you know your fate today!

(source for the rate is the huge online TA site)

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, SilvertoGold said:

As Canadians we are a bit surprised to see at least for Alaska the pricing on our account in CND is much the same as the USD standby pricing plus the exchange rate. Can't imagine going standby and not saving a bundle, let alone coming out more or less even!

Yes, us too. Not a deal for Vancouverites for sure. And we could apply our CCL stock credit, and get OBC with the current 50% off last minute sale. Now, if a Vancouver to Hawaii itinerary showed up on the list, we would sign up for sure.

Edited by sunviking90
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, FlaMariner said:

Also, the current Inside rate of $42/day for the 4/7 NS TA makes it less than the stand-by rate.....And you know your fate today!

(source for the rate is the huge online TA site)

Well, if I could work up my nerve to put myself down for the 42-day Med cruise, as a solo I would save about $8400 over booking an Inside category room right now. 😵‍💫

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, cruisemom42 said:

Well, if I could work up my nerve to put myself down for the 42-day Med cruise, as a solo I would save about $8400 over booking an Inside category room right now. 😵‍💫

LOL:

Discussion with neighbor:

"I might be out of town for 42 days or not tomorrow"

• Like 3
  • Haha 9

Wow.  We actually got confirmed on the standby list for the March 30 sailing on the Zaandam. No email but I had called Holland America to ask what’s going on because I got an email saying to add passport info but I couldn't do it online. Turns out there was an invalid number for my phone so it wouldn't let me complete online checkin. But I'd gotten a similar email a month ago. So weird. But at least we're on this one. No stateroom assigned yet   But I have boarding passes so now I know for sure we are confirmed. 

• Like 15
  • Thanks 3

4 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

I would need 42 days to plan for a 42-day cruise!!!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

5 hours ago, melissy123 said:

Wow.  We actually got confirmed on the standby list for the March 30 sailing on the Zaandam. No email but I had called Holland America to ask what’s going on because I got an email saying to add passport info but I couldn't do it online. Turns out there was an invalid number for my phone so it wouldn't let me complete online checkin. But I'd gotten a similar email a month ago. So weird. But at least we're on this one. No stateroom assigned yet   But I have boarding passes so now I know for sure we are confirmed. 

Congrats!!

• Like 1

On 3/14/2024 at 6:31 PM, Raybit said:

Just notified via email that we are cleared for 23 March sailing but have not yet received a room.  Much earlier than our <2 day notice on the last standby but that notice came with a room number…Will share how this turns out!

Have been able to add HIA, pre-pay gratuities and get checked in with no problems.  Much smoother than our first standby (also San Diego) in January.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4

3 minutes ago, Raybit said:

Have been able to add HIA, pre-pay gratuities and get checked in with no problems.  Much smoother than our first standby (also San Diego) in January.

Have you been assigned a room yet?

11 hours ago, Raybit said:

Assigned an inside on Deck 5.  Last time was an Aft Verandah on Deck 4. 😉

That deck 4 aft verandah was like winning the lottery - congrats!!

Happy to hear you've made it on more than once.

• Like 1

According to Holland's webpage for Standby "To join the standby list for your preferred cruise, contact your travel advisor or call 877-724-5425."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sorry if this info is up thread, but I’m wondering what HAL does with taxes and port fees for passengers who are selected but don’t go.  A HAL agent told me taxes and port fees must be paid to get on standby, and they are not refunded if I’m selected and don’t go (I.e., I’d lose it along with the cruise fare).  Can HAL really keep it?  Even if they fill the cabin?

Posted (edited)

Hi,
A few ago days I called HAL to make a Standby Program reservation. As others have noted, the HAL representative didn’t seem to know what I wanted. I was put on hold several times, but at the end I thought we had worked things out. I was charged the full amount as per the standby program rules. My concern is that all references to the reservation online and by email (see below) refer to a “waitlist” reservation, not a “standby” reservation. Perhaps HAL codes it in their system as a kind of waitlist reservation, but I’d feel better if the word “standby” were used. I called back today and the HAL representative (who also didn’t seem to be familiar with the program) insisted all was ok. 

For those of you who have made standby reservation, have you seen “standby” in your confirmation, or are you seeing  “waitlist” as described below?  

Thanks for any comments!

The subject heading in the email booking confirmation reads, “Attn: ….. Waitlist Request” 
In the attached PDF booking confirmation, the top right says “Waitlist Request” and below the Guest Information section, it says, “You are currently waitlisted for the following categories”. (However, page 2 of the PDF is in fact a summary of the rules of the stand by program). 

Looking at my account online, under bookings, when I click on “Manage My Cruise”, I get the warning:
“This booking is currently in 'Waitlist' status
We are unable to offer online purchases at this time.”

And similarly, clicking on “manage payments” near the bottom I see:
“Inside Inside TO BE ASSIGNED TO BE ASSIGNED WAITL

Edited by p21212sg
  • Like 3

45 minutes ago, p21212sg said:

Hi,
A few ago days I called HAL to make a Standby Program reservation. As others have noted, the HAL representative didn’t seem to know what I wanted. I was put on hold several times, but at the end I thought we had worked things out. I was charged the full amount as per the standby program rules. My concern is that all references to the reservation online and by email (see below) refer to a “waitlist” reservation, not a “standby” reservation. Perhaps HAL codes it in their system as a kind of waitlist reservation, but I’d feel better if the word “standby” were used. I called back today and the HAL representative (who also didn’t seem to be familiar with the program) insisted all was ok. 

For those of you who have made standby reservation, have you seen “standby” in your confirmation, or are you seeing  “waitlist” as described below?  

Thanks for any comments!

The subject heading in the email booking confirmation reads, “Attn: ….. Waitlist Request” 
In the attached PDF booking confirmation, the top right says “Waitlist Request” and below the Guest Information section, it says, “You are currently waitlisted for the following categories”. (However, page 2 of the PDF is in fact a summary of the rules of the stand by program). 

Looking at my account online, under bookings, when I click on “Manage My Cruise”, I get the warning:
“This booking is currently in 'Waitlist' status
We are unable to offer online purchases at this time.”

And similarly, clicking on “manage payments” near the bottom I see:
“Inside Inside TO BE ASSIGNED TO BE ASSIGNED WAITL

It will say "wait list ". I'm a TA and have done several for an upcoming cruise. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

My sister & BIL got a 4th deck /interior standby cabin for March 23 out of San Diego. She called, and was offered a $500 upsell to an 11th deck / verandah. I think HAL is actively refining the protocols for standby! We are seeing more 5-7 days in advance of sailing and ... clever ... distribution of better cabins. As a stockholder, I approve. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

On 12/8/2023 at 9:37 AM, Laurie59 said:

Has anyone tried to do the new stand by program on Holland America that is offered for Dec and 2024 cruises

We are trying the wait list.  10 day Eurodam in April.  Either we get it or we don't.  We live within driving distance to Ft Lauderdale.  We cruise a lot.

But I have learned so much reading this board that I think I will try other alternative booking options next time.

Will come back a week before (or when we find out) and let you know if we were successful. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

On 12/28/2023 at 1:56 PM, Troysers1 said:

I can confirm the exact opposite of clearing the standby list. 

Apparently after HAL incorrectly put me on a waitlist (as opposed to the standby list) when HAL went to correct the situation an automatic refund was generated to my credit card, so no transfer to the standby list could be performed.

Lessons learned include this standby program is very new to HAL and they are "still figuring it out."  Very few agents seem to be knowledgeable about the program.  I am thankful for using a travel agent in this situation as it has saved me the hassle and frustration of sorting things out with HAL.

What is the difference between the stand by program and the new wait list program for $49 pp/per day + port fees?

Please explain.

Thank you!

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Lauren Spray said:

What is the difference between the stand by program and the new wait list program for $49 pp/per day + port fees?

Please explain.

Thank you!

It is one and the same.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lauren Spray said:

We are trying the wait list.  10 day Eurodam in April.  Either we get it or we don't.  We live within driving distance to Ft Lauderdale.  We cruise a lot.

But I have learned so much reading this board that I think I will try other alternative booking options next time.

Will come back a week before (or when we find out) and let you know if we were successful. 

7 days and counting for our standby from Ft. Lauderdale on the 29th. 🤞🤞we get on otherwise we’ll have a

staycation day at Hard Rock 🤣

• Like 1

On 3/19/2024 at 11:49 AM, SetAnOpenCourse said:

Can anyone confirm whether or not one’s PCC can put one on a standby list?

They can.