Question re: Princess App

teddie2

Hi First time cruiser here..  I downloaded the app on my phone and my husband did so on his phone.  I was not sure if he could create his own account or does he have to sign in under me.  I booked us both on my account in Princess.com so not sure. Someone told me he could book his own wi fi package and I can book my own separately but in order to do that I am guessing we would have to have different accounts.. I am a bit confused.  Also does the app have a different password than princess.com.  I had to get into the app with my booking number because the password I use for princess.com did not work.  Its all a bit confusing.  THnaks

First, have your husband log on to his Medallion app on his phone using the booking number of the cruise just to make sure he can, as logging on with an applicable Princess account's email address and password doesn't work for us either when logging onto the App.

Second, have you posted a credit card to your booking yet as part of the check-in process? If so, make sure the other person is identified as an authorized user. This way for billing purposes you will both be under the same onboard account supported by the one credit card.

As far as booking your own wi-fi packages prior to the cruise, the easiest way would be for your husband to create his own Princess account using the Princess Captains Club number listed on your booking. Then once that's done, you can each pre-purchase your respective wi-fi packages on your separate Princess accounts at a cheaper rate prior to the cruise. Of course, you will be required to pay for them at that time with a credit card. Plan B - You can also wait until you board the ship and pay the full price by ordering it through each of your Apps under the MedallionNet option listed under "Go to OceanReady". The subsequent charges will be posted to your "joint" stateroom account.

Hope this helps. If not, please ask more questions.

1 hour ago, teddie2 said:

Hi First time cruiser here.. Its all a bit confusing.

I don't know the urgency of doing your pre-cruise work, but if you have some time before your cruise, I'd delete the Medallion App and wait until December 1st for the newer Princess Cruises App. Information is scarce and it is unclear how much downward compatability there will be for the new app, whether this is just a glitch fix or a whole new enchilada, but since your cruise will be under the newer version, I'd start over in December. 

That is just my opinion, but Ken the cruiser offers sound suggestions for the moment.

• Like 1

Thank you both. First Ken I will try what you suggested ...he did log in using the booking number but it comes up and says Hi Barbara...lol  so I was hoping he could have it under his name as well just linked to mine.. I guess as you suggested I will have him create a separate account but how do we link them so the cruise info is in his account? Also, the wifi will be more if booked on the ship? I thought one device was 14.99 .. so we each wanted to get our own.  total 30 rather than paying 40 per day as we are on a 20 day cruise and everything adds up. 

I have not entered a credit card yet I don't think though I did make a deposit. I will check

Mtnesterz.. We are way far out .. our cruise is not till July so will do as you suggested in Jan but for now he just wants to feel like he can go in and see things etc... 

2 minutes ago, teddie2 said:

Thank you both. First Ken I will try what you suggested ...he did log in using the booking number but it comes up and says Hi Barbara...lol  so I was hoping he could have it under his name as well just linked to mine.. I guess as you suggested I will have him create a separate account but how do we link them so the cruise info is in his account? Also, the wifi will be more if booked on the ship? I thought one device was 14.99 .. so we each wanted to get our own.  total 30 rather than paying 40 per day as we are on a 20 day cruise and everything adds up. 

I have not entered a credit card yet I don't think though I did make a deposit. I will check

Mtnesterz.. We are way far out .. our cruise is not till July so will do as you suggested in Jan but for now he just wants to feel like he can go in and see things etc... 

First things first. Create that Princess account and see how it goes. Since the cruise is not until next July, no need to worry about posting the CC to the booking just yet. 

1 minute ago, teddie2 said:

OH and what is the captains club number .. the only number I see in my account is my member number

His Member Number should be under his name on the Princess confirmation. If not, when he creates his new account, one will be created. Write it down and then contact your TA or Princess, whomever you booked the cruise through, to have it added to his name on the booking.

I booked the cruise myself.. OK I see his member ID.. so he can try to create an account.

Also I messed up when I made the reservation and entered the wrong birth year for my H.  We have corrected it in the account but my confirmation says he is 7 yrs younger.. LOL.. will that be a problem might you know?

19 minutes ago, teddie2 said:

I booked the cruise myself.. OK I see his member ID.. so he can try to create an account.

Also I messed up when I made the reservation and entered the wrong birth year for my H.  We have corrected it in the account but my confirmation says he is 7 yrs younger.. LOL.. will that be a problem might you know?

You definitely need to make sure your first and last names as well as your birth dates match what’s on your passports. BTW when your DH logs onto the app using the booking number, make sure he puts in his name. It sounded like the App was thinking it was you for some reason.

As far as if it’s cheaper to purchase Wi-Fi before or after you board, I really don’t have an answer as we always book the Plus Package.

IMG_5651.thumb.jpeg.bf2a5925e60f54e6c6c9b5e9b4ae5df7.jpeg

https://www.princess.com/en-us/cruise-deals-promotions/plus-premier-cruise-packages

But here’s the Princess link discussing the Medallion internet options.

https://www.princess.com/en-us/ships-and-experience/princess-medallionclass/medallionnet

Edited by Ken the cruiser

Oh yes I know about the plus package.. but you said earlier something about paying the higher price on board so I thought it was more.. I think its the same..

He put his name in and the booking number so still thought it was me.. OK I will figure this out.  the info in the account is correct now but the confirmation is not so I wonder if I need a new confirmation?  I guess I best ask princess. Seems I should have booked through a rep but it was just easier to do it myself.!Thanks for all your help

10 minutes ago, teddie2 said:

Oh yes I know about the plus package.. but you said earlier something about paying the higher price on board so I thought it was more.. I think its the same..

He put his name in and the booking number so still thought it was me.. OK I will figure this out.  the info in the account is correct now but the confirmation is not so I wonder if I need a new confirmation?  I guess I best ask princess. Seems I should have booked through a rep but it was just easier to do it myself.!Thanks for all your help

Unfortunately, I was probably thinking that we get a discount if we prebook Wi-Fi on a Celebrity cruise. Sorry about that. I don’t think you get the discount with Princess since it’s so cheap when compared to what Celebrity charges,

Yes, I would request a new confirmation from Princess just to confirm all the changes you applied have in fact been posted to your booking.

Also when your DH logs onto the app, have him go to his profile in the bottom right hand corner just to make sure all looks good.

Edited by Ken the cruiser

I put the app on DW's phone and made her own account since the app first came out in 2017, but I can't remember how I did it, sorry. All the information just seems to roll over with all their new updates. I have heard the new app coming out in Dec is by a whole new company so I am worried we'll have to start all over again. 😞

7 hours ago, mtnesterz said:

I don't know the urgency of doing your pre-cruise work, but if you have some time before your cruise, I'd delete the Medallion App and wait until December 1st for the newer Princess Cruises App. Information is scarce and it is unclear how much downward compatability there will be for the new app, whether this is just a glitch fix or a whole new enchilada, but since your cruise will be under the newer version, I'd start over in December. 

That is just my opinion, but Ken the cruiser offers sound suggestions for the moment.

What do you know about the NEW Princess App that you can explain?  Thanks😀👍

Tom😁

14 minutes ago, trbarton said:

What do you know about the NEW Princess App that you can explain?  Thanks😀👍

Nothing. Our CVP called to wish us a Happy Thanksgiving and said the Medallion App would be replaced by the Princess Cruises App on Dec, 1st. No additional info.

In another thread, a poster said it was a new software company, but I have no knowledge of that. Is this just a few bugs worked out, a complete change or as someone said, a Big Nothing Burger.

All that is sure is we won't get threads asking if the wearable Medallion is the same thing as the app.

10 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Then once that's done, you can each pre-purchase your respective wi-fi packages on your separate Princess accounts at a cheaper rate prior to the cruise. Of course, you will be required to pay for them at that time with a credit card. Plan B - You can also wait until you board the ship and pay the full price by ordering it through each of your Apps under the MedallionNet option listed under "Go to OceanReady". The subsequent charges will be posted to your "joint" stateroom account.

The pricing has been the same for a long time now.  Ever since the last price increase.

8 hours ago, teddie2 said:

Also, the wifi will be more if booked on the ship? I thought one device was 14.99 .. so we each wanted to get our own.  total 30 rather than paying 40 per day as we are on a 20 day cruise and everything adds up

It is $15/day for a single device - whether purchased in advance or on board.  No need to do it in advance.  The 4-device plan is $40/day, so you are correct that it is cheaper for two people to each get a single device plan as long as you only need one device at a time per person in use.

8 hours ago, teddie2 said:

Also is wi fi more expensive when purchased on board than prior to ?

Not for a long time now.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mtnesterz said:

Nothing. Our CVP called to wish us a Happy Thanksgiving and said the Medallion App would be replaced by the Princess Cruises App on Dec, 1st. No additional info.

All that is sure is we won't get threads asking if the wearable Medallion is the same thing as the app.

Wanna bet?