Rotterdam Muster Drill

CruisingAndDiving

HI everyone.

DW and I will embark Rotterdam on December 15th and my 81 year old Mom will be joining us and sailing solo in a close by cabin.  

I'm just wondering what the current muster drill is like?  Still watch a video and then go check in at the muster station?  Do we need life jackets with us or no?

As Mom uses a mobility aid, it's better to be prepared 😄

Thanks!

Check on timing!  We watched the safety video as soon as we boarded and then went down to have our cards scanned, no-one was there.  Went down again after lunch, no-one there, later all the TVs were re-set and we had to watch the safety video again to activate the TV, and finally, someone was there to scan our cards.  This was on Oosterdam, but better to know in advance, no fun for those in their 80's to be traipsing around the ship all afternoon...

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Vict0riann said:

Check on timing!  We watched the safety video as soon as we boarded and then went down to have our cards scanned, no-one was there.  Went down again after lunch, no-one there, later all the TVs were re-set and we had to watch the safety video again to activate the TV, and finally, someone was there to scan our cards.  This was on Oosterdam, but better to know in advance, no fun for those in their 80's to be traipsing around the ship all afternoon...

There is frequently an announcement...say, "between 1:30 and 3, the muster stations will be staffed". 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

12 hours ago, CruisingAndDiving said:

HI everyone.

DW and I will embark Rotterdam on December 15th and my 81 year old Mom will be joining us and sailing solo in a close by cabin.  

I'm just wondering what the current muster drill is like?  Still watch a video and then go check in at the muster station?  Do we need life jackets with us or no?

As Mom uses a mobility aid, it's better to be prepared 😄

Thanks!

Hi there.

We just boarded Rotterdam yesterday at 11 am. Enjoyed a refreshment at the Lido pool til we got the announcement our cabins were ready. Got our key cards, dropped bags and went to lunch in the MDR. There is a slight change to first check in to your muster station first on deck 2 and 3. The stations opened at 1 for us. Then later you watch the video on your TV. Then our captain gave his safety briefing. We sailed away early. All aboard was 2:30. 

We will still be on board when you board. Safe travels!

9 hours ago, ConanD said:

A little bit off topic but... Are you just forwarding the question to ChatGPT and posting the reply?

Don't get me wrong, it's still helpful. Just a bit odd.

Actually the quoted post is not helpful at all, as neither the website nor the 'cruise line directly' will have the specifics of the December 15th sailing, which is the information that OP asked.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Hi there.

We just boarded Rotterdam yesterday at 11 am. Enjoyed a refreshment at the Lido pool til we got the announcement our cabins were ready. Got our key cards, dropped bags and went to lunch in the MDR. There is a slight change to first check in to your muster station first on deck 2 and 3. The stations opened at 1 for us. Then later you watch the video on your TV. Then our captain gave his safety briefing. We sailed away early. All aboard was 2:30. 

We will still be on board when you board. Safe travels!

Thanks for sharing your very recent experience!   It's very helpful and sounds like it will be quite easy for my Mom which is what I was hoping for.

I'm incredibly jealous you get to spend so much time on Rotterdam.  Enjoy your cruises and perhaps I can buy you a drink once we board 😎🥃

Fair winds and following seas 🚢

9 hours ago, CruisingAndDiving said:

Thanks to those who provided helpful insight on my question.  Sounds like my Mom will have an easy time of the mystery drill and can enjoy the cruise with us 😀

Your mom will do just fine. Remember to each check in to your muster station. A lady was told she could check in but her husband had to physically be there, she couldn't check in for him.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, CruisingAndDiving said:

Thanks to those who provided helpful insight on my question.  Sounds like my Mom will have an easy time of the mystery drill and can enjoy the cruise with us 😀

No mystery. It's been explained here, and there will be extensive directions and communication on board.