Well, that was an oops, Carnival Gift Cards…

Sundsgn

So…my kids were helping me clean house for Thanksgiving earlier this week and I think they threw $400 in Carnival gift cards in the garbage.

Yep. In the garbage that got picked up on Tuesday. It’s making me just sick! I’m having flashbacks to the year my sister came to visit for Christmas and thought the plastic bags in the corner of the guest room was garbage and threw away all my husband’s gifts for that year.

Here’s to hoping this is the only mishap! First world problems, not the worst thing to happen so we’ll live, but has this ever happened to you?

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, jerseygirlinAZ said:

So sorry to hear that!  

We once threw away a $100 Visa gift card that was a reward for signing up for something, can't remember.  I called the company and they sent a new one.  Felt very lucky about that.

This.

You might be able to contact the vendor and get them cancelled and reissued.  I'm not sure where you bought them or how they were delivered.

Not on Carnival, but I used three $500 gift cards on a Princess cruise that was canceled and the payments were refunded back to those cards. I only kept one of them; I had thrown the others out. I called the Princess gift card department and was able to get them replaced. Close call, lesson learned. 😿

Edited by Honolulu Blue

We have a spot in our laundry room where we sit trash to be taken out. I took the trash out to the dumpsters and the next day my wife asked where the box with the 2 Kate Spade purses went. She should not have set the box next to where the trash goes. 🙄

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

This post reminds me of when I was a graduating Senior in high school.  One of my mothers friends had given me two sets of monogrammed towels.  All the graduation gifts were set up on the baby grand piano for guest 'viewing' (yes, that's what was done back in the day. 😁)  When the time came to put the gifts away, somehow, the box of towels was thrown out with the garabge.  😪

3 hours ago, teknoge3k said:

We have a spot in our laundry room where we sit trash to be taken out. I took the trash out to the dumpsters and the next day my wife asked where the box with the 2 Kate Spade purses went. She should not have set the box next to where the trash goes. 🙄

And you’re still married! Oh my gosh!

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

Gift cards make me uncomfortable for the reasons mentioned.  I don't mind a $100 gift card for a local restaurant we might purchase at a discount at Costco or Sam's... But it does make me anxious until it's used.  Will the restaurant go out of business before we get a chance to use it, etc.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, VentureMan_2000 said:

Gift cards make me uncomfortable for the reasons mentioned.  I don't mind a $100 gift card for a local restaurant we might purchase at a discount at Costco or Sam's... But it does make me anxious until it's used.  Will the restaurant go out of business before we get a chance to use it, etc.

We're the opposite, especially this time of the year. Between now and Christmas, many restaurants have some sort of bonus gift card (buy $50 get $10 free or something along those lines). We eat out at least 2-3 times a week so we'll buy a BUNCH of gift cards from restaurants we like, and then use them throughout the year. 

• Like 7

15 hours ago, teknoge3k said:

We're the opposite, especially this time of the year. Between now and Christmas, many restaurants have some sort of bonus gift card (buy $50 get $10 free or something along those lines). We eat out at least 2-3 times a week so we'll buy a BUNCH of gift cards from restaurants we like, and then use them throughout the year. 

I think we currently have about $400 worth of Pinstripes GC's because we got a bunch from various events and just haven't used them all. And my husband retired last year, same thing, we have like 3 or 4 for nice restaurants. We will get to them, eventually. I think when our son comes back home again for Christmas break, we'll use one or two.

• Like 1

And to add my own story, many years ago, my husband and I went downtown Chicago to shop on the Mag Mile. He bought a hat at the Burberry store, and I picked up some cute thing at the Disney store. We had it in the plastic bags, next to the garbage can, and somehow, he scooped them up with the garbage and out they went. LOL! We searched for several days, before realizing what had happened. He also threw out our garage door opener once, when he was outside doing yard work. Our neighbor came by to let us know our door was going up and down, as the garbage truck had just dumped our cans. At least now we have the door opener with the My Q app, which we love! It also helps eases his mind related to the "Did I remember to close the garage door??!" when we're miles away.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Oh! I just thought of another incident - because Cozumel, right?

The first cruise my husband and I took post babies/first trip without kids we got so hammered at an AI that we left all our souvenirs behind at the resort. I mean, who hasn’t done that in Coz? Now, if we have time after our activities, we stop to shop, otherwise we just move along LOL. Don’t want to be the pier runners again like that one year….

• Haha 2

23 hours ago, teknoge3k said:

Makes sense...

We eat out 1 - 2 times a month.  But as I said, I don't mind a $100 gift card for a local restaurant we might purchase at a discount at Costco or Sam's.  They tend to be a 20% - 25% discount.

• 1 month later...

In case anyone wants an update…. finally!  They cancelled the lost gift cards and my points were refunded and I could re-order the cards and just got the replacements in the mail. Whew! Just in tme for the cruise!

Edited by Sundsgn
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

all this leaves me wondering - who visits someone else's house and decides to throw anything out unless it's literally in the trashcan already? Especially without asking the host?

I had them hidden in our guest room, where my sister was staying, and they were in target bags, and she had her crap in target bags and they just got mixed up. Totally unintentional, as she thought she was cleaning up her garbage.

• Like 2